Ipod Color: rattle inside! songs disappear and reappear?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
So my ipod has been giving me problems lately. It gave me a sad face one day and I slammed it on my table out of frustration...and it turned on! So for every frequent sad face, I give it a good whack and it comes back to life.

Now, the songs sometimes disappear. I reset it along with a whack, and it comes back! But this happens every few minutes or so and I can't enjoy listening to music anymore. I can hear the hard drive repeatedly trying to turn on and then immediately shut off. This cycle happens in under a second...

Is there a simple fix for this? I don't mind performing surgery, but if buying an entire hard drive and figuring out how to install it is my only option, I will have end up with two sad faces. Besides replacing the hard drive, is there a specific culprit which may become loose over time?

Last edited:
99% chance at least the hard drive is damaged, maybe more. They don't exactly like being slammed repeatedly into things for future reference....

Is there anything in particular that can be put back into place or replaced other than the entire hd itself?

If the hard drive wasn't dead to start with, smacking it on the desk certainly didn't do it any good. Most likely you're going to need to replace the drive. Or maybe it's time to upgrade to something that doesn't have spinning disk. I liked my old iPod nano, and my touch was pretty great too. I've since upgraded to an iPhone, but either way, none of them use a mechanical hard drive for storage.

Is there anything in particular that can be put back into place or replaced other than the entire hd itself?

Not really, they are simple machines. There really is one main board, the screen, the battery, the click wheel, and the hard drive.

If the hard drive wasn't dead to start with, smacking it on the desk certainly didn't do it any good. Most likely you're going to need to replace the drive. Or maybe it's time to upgrade to something that doesn't have spinning disk. I liked my old iPod nano, and my touch was pretty great too. I've since upgraded to an iPhone, but either way, none of them use a mechanical hard drive for storage.

it stopped working before I slammed it. I guess I'll try and get a hard drive off ebay and replace it. Hope it goes well.

Is it common to buy broken ipod hds off ebay?

it stopped working before I slammed it. I guess I'll try and get a hard drive off ebay and replace it. Hope it goes well.

Is it common to buy broken ipod hds off ebay?

Look into it first. I believe that the ipod simply uses standard 1.8" hd's... it may be cheaper on Newegg.

So I could put a 60gb 1.8" instead of my 20? Is there a big ipod forum out there where I could do some research?

Back