iPod classic vs. The Competition

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
I'm currently looking for something to clean up the mess of CD-Rs in my car—something I can store my music library on. Having checked out the 120GB iPod classic, it seems like a good fit, but what compelling reasons are there to pick this one over competing products like the Zune120? I'm particularly interested in short/long-term battery life and DAC quality, and hardly care about features such as video playback or radio functionality.

Are there any noteworthy problems with the classic?

Thanks.

While the iPod Classic will probably edge out the Zune 120GB on battery life, the general opinion is that Zunes sound better as noted by numerous threads over at HeadFi.org about iPod/Zune sound quality comparisons. If your intention is to use the headphone out, the Zunes get higher ratings for SQ than iPods; if you use the Line-out from the dock connector on either iPods or Zunes, you get closer to being equal but the Zunes - again, generally - get higher ratings from owners, and all of this is noted from reading the threads at that forum.

HeadFi.org is pretty much THE website when it comes to rating the sound quality of most any audio device on the market or ever made...

Love my Zune! The quality of the sound is amazing and the features (including wireless access to Marketplace, tagging songs for purchase after hearing them on the RDS FM tuner, etc..)

When the word gets out about the features of the Zune since 3.0 of the software, Apple better watch out.

I'm shopping for such a media device.

Either the Zune or the iPod Classic should be a great choice.

I'm leaning towards the Zune myself.

The Zune is certainly sounding good right now, but there still remain a few things in my mind:

Reliability/robustness statistics?
Long-term survivability of the Zune brand? (just not familiar with the market here)
Do the added features of the Zune act in any way to "spread itself too thin" over its core functions?
Are the batteries of the same technology in the two players, and would they be expected to have roughly the same long-term usability?

Back