iPod Classic 80GB & Droid charger?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I would really like to only have to carry one charger for all my mobile devices on long trips and so far my Droid USB charger works for everything EXCEPT my iPod! It will wake up, if powered off, but the battery icon doesn't show the little lightning bolt when on and does not show "Charging" when powered off.

The Droid charger has a 5.1v 850mA output, for those who arent familiar, and WILL charge an iPod nano (pre camera) that I recently tested it on.

Does anyone know if there is any solution to make the Classic recognize the charger or am I essentially SOL?

Thanks!

Does the iPod charger charge everything that the droid one does? That might be the best solution if you can't get the Droid one to charge the iPod.

I have no experience with using other things to charge an iPod, if you have a laptop with you you could charge that and have the iPod on that USB port charging.

I use the iGo for everything. I basically just buy a new tip every time I get a new device that has a strange connector. I had to buy a new tip for my Droid, but I can use it to charge my PSP, iPod, Droid, my wife's old Motorola phone, my son's Gameboy Advanced SP, my Nokia N810, etc.

I liked it so much I bought another one for my car and keep 2 tips in the car, one for my phone, and one for my iPod.

I have no other USB charger - iPods haven't included an AC charger for some time now. (With perhaps the exception of the Touch...IDK) The only Apple charger I have is a Firewire one which is enormous and came with my original iPod mini way back when...

I found the issue is that the Droid charger is either providing no or insufficient voltage on the data pins, voltage that the Classic seems to require (tested myself) for it's circuitry to say "OK, start charging.". If the Droid charger provides no voltage this should remedy the situation:

http://www.instructables.com/id/S689SIFFKHQCSIM/

If it is simply insufficient (I'd have to test it) then I'm SOL and have to buy an Apple charger or a universal system like ianshot mentioned. At least, from what I was able to find.

Edit: if anyone knows how to properly check for voltage on those pins I'd definitely appreciate it. Checking D+ and D- to GND gives me nothing but I just want to be sure.

Last edited:
Yep, I do like the design of that little guy, just don't really want to spend another 35-40 bucks (with shipping) for one.

Back