iPod Accessories and Hacks

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
My girlfriend just bought me a 60GB iPod and before I start using it heavily, I figured I should see what accessories [H] people love most.

I want a case more than anything to protect it from scratches, bangs, dents, weather, etc. I'd like a case that has built-in screen protection if possible. I've used that thin plastic film for my cell phone and it's not bad, but I'd like something pre-cut and specially designed.

Is there a power adapter that only charges for iPods so I don't have to charge through a USB connection?

What hacks do you guys like? I've heard a lot about Red Chair's Anapod and such. I don't want an iPod stereo or anything.

Basically I want a case, power adapter, good software (Windows-based, manual editing), and car adapter stuff. Right now my car radio has an aux. in, but I don't know how common these inputs are on cars. I have a '92 Toyota Tercel with a cassette deck my brother bought me several years ago. It's cheap.

I'm sure there are a lot of threads like this already, but searching comes up with a ton of results and no one has the time to sift through each thread's each page.

Also, is there a way to stop Windows from considering my iPod as a removable device? I really hate that tray icon.

INVISIBLE SHIELD is far and away the best skin I've found for my iPod. Virtually impervious to scratches and gouges. Both my brothers saw a mall demonstration and personally tried the infamous 'poke a bic pen through the shield'. Both of them snapped the bic before it punctured the shield. The hype is that it is material developed for the military to protect the edges of helicopter blades from debris. Who knows.

I have a brand new 80gb iPod that I let sit in in the box for 3 whole tortuous days to wait for the shield to get delivered so I could install it on a pristine iPod. I am so very glad I did cuz I've had it for a few weeks now and it is immaculate.

You will NOT have any problems with an Invisible Shield, and don't be fooled by other cheap knockoffs. That stuff is the real deal and you won't really need a case unless you're worried about dropping it. Be warned though - it will take you the better part of an hour to put on if you want to do it right and have near-perfect results.

Check out a video of some random homeboy going at his iPod screen with KEYS:
http://www.untenohana.com/archives/videos/ipod_scratch_test/

As far as car kits go, I found nice power adapters for a buck at walmart one time and bought several. Despite trying out the FM transmitters, I stick with a simple cassette adapter and you don't need a fancy expensive one. For me in an heavily urban area, the FM transmitters were USELESS.

I got cheapo accessory pack for free with my ipod that came with an AC adapter - which is good cuz it looks like they more or less rape you on that particular item.

GJSNeptune said:
Also, is there a way to stop Windows from considering my iPod as a removable device? I really hate that tray icon.

No. All you can do is hide the icon.

Also, you may want to poke around here , they have alot of cool stuff.
The chaepest way to use you iPod with your existing deck is a cassette adapter, and the sound isn't bad in my opinion.

Darknyt said:
INVISIBLE SHIELD is far and away the best skin I've found for my iPod.
Well I'm sold. Is there any way you could post pics of yours? What's the application process like? Can you take it off (not that you ever would want to)?

GJSNeptune said:
Well I'm sold. Is there any way you could post pics of yours? What's the application process like? Can you take it off (not that you ever would want to)?

Had a nice long reply typed out and the forums jacked it last night.

Application process is a bitch if you're anal like me - I literally took the factory plastic off my iPod and put this shield on so I was very picky about it being perfect.

HERE is a video of the installation process - just know that the solution spray is a waste of time - you can't move the screen around to position it if you use that spray - it just makes it tacky and sticky so you get one shot. The best way sounds freaky, but works perfectly - get a bowl of water with a couple drops of soap in it and wet the shield - that will allow it to slide around for perfect placement and you can easily get the bubbles/moisture out - just use a credit card instead of their plastic wedge.

Taking it off is no problem - it doesn't even leave a residue. Just slowly peels off.

Darknyt said:
Application process is a bitch if you're anal like me
I definitely am. Mine still has the factory plastic on the front. It has to be perfect or I'll be super pissed.

The video shows the person getting solution on the iPod. What exactly does this solution consist of? iPods aren't waterproof, right? It must've had some get in through the the cracks.

GJSNeptune said:
The video shows the person getting solution on the iPod. What exactly does this solution consist of? iPods aren't waterproof, right? It must've had some get in through the the cracks.

it's probably nonconductive for that reason. you know electronics can get wet and dry off and still work right?

Bump just to make sure before this gets buried. Spill your guys on your awesome iPod knowledge and experience!

Best Skins Ever are just as good as Invisible Shields and are much cheaper. I have one on my Nano, works great. The application process is similar between the two skins.

Not bad, but I should have my InvisibleShield tomorrow :D

The InvisibleShield website isn't as intuitive as I'd like, but the BestSkinsEver site doesn't market the product at all. The cheap price kinda deters me, though I trust your word that the skin is just as strong.

GJSNeptune said:

Yes, that is the "freaky" part. If you think that guy got his iPod wet you should have seen mine :).

No really though, I didn't, but you can tape up your ports if your worried about them. But the amount of actual water on the iPod is neglible and it barely is even enough to bother wiping the edges when you smooth out the skin.

That other stuff looks freakily close to the invisible skin, down to the whole helicopter blade thingy. But like you, the price really deters me. That's cheaper than some of those complete ass skins I see.

Ah - I think I *may* have found one difference - the warranty. I can't even see one described on the Best Skins site, but InvisibleShield has a fantastic warranty, including providing you a free skin if you have to take yours off to get factory service. Pretty much one skin for life idea.

Back