iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr. Let's Discuss

I caved and bought the Nike branded watch series 4 (non LTE) and the Xs Max 256 space grey yesterday.. this was after I told myself i'd skip this round. heh. I got my phone last night but am waiting for a month for the watch. Coming from an 8 plus the screen is significantly taller and just better in every way. The edge to edge factor really does make a difference now that I've used it for a bit. It's very very snappy moving around in the UI, just a bit faster than the 8 plus. FaceID.. well, it works. I do miss the home button with touchID but I will get over that. I am already used to the gestures to navigate the UI. The task switching side swipe is actually great I already use it a ton. I haven't had a lot of time to test the camera but I know it's better - I will use it a lot this weekend I am sure.

After a couple weeks with my XS Max, I’m very happy. I wanted a large oled panel iPhone and I finally got it. I’ve wanted one since the galaxy s4 days but I’m just happy it’s finally here.

A few things that don’t get much coverage but should -

The screen accuracy is amazing. Its the first screen I’ve liked more than the Samsung note and galaxy line ups. The X screen was good but I still would have preferred the note or s8/9 plus screen at the time because of the physical size.

The speakers are very good. I wish I had my HTC One M8 or an M7 to compare it too. The best speakers on a current flagship right now, not just for the amazing volume, but the quality of sound and the soundstage magic they did on them. The depth of sound is very good for a phone and the soundstage is bigger than what’s in your hand.

Tougher glass. JerryRigEverything is a long time Apple critic. He did a video to show that the “tougher” glass on the XS was a load of crap, and then couldn’t break the back glass... while the phone was naked. I’m not saying he couldn’t if he really tried but he did a full set of drop tests and it held up. He ends up eating his own words on the video and admits that he was impressed.

Cellular data speed. This is a huge YMMV. In my house I can swap between my X and my Max. With 2 bars of LTE, the Max is 2-3 times faster consistently. Some people report poor performance, I definitely can see a huge improvement. This is on Verizon’s network in a city in Washington State that I’m sure 99% of you have no clue even existed.

Last edited:
ips? The panel is OLED.? Nice review though.. better than my short one. Heh.

I have been having issues with my 6s, so I ordered a Xr (128GB) on Friday. New phone will be waiting for me when I get home on Friday. So Friday night will be transferring everything to the new phone.

So I updated to the 12.0.1 or whatever it was, and it helped slightly with the signal issue although not a lot. Now I have a different problem, my text messages are coming in out of order and outgoing messages are delayed, sometimes by several days and often I get messages from other people repeated 4-5 times in a row. Does anyone else have something like this happening? Also the phone is getting stuck on the lock screen a lot lately as well, it unlocks but you can't drag the screen up to open it.

So I updated to the 12.0.1 or whatever it was, and it helped slightly with the signal issue although not a lot. Now I have a different problem, my text messages are coming in out of order and outgoing messages are delayed, sometimes by several days and often I get messages from other people repeated 4-5 times in a row. Does anyone else have something like this happening? Also the phone is getting stuck on the lock screen a lot lately as well, it unlocks but you can't drag the screen up to open it.
Haven't had that issue. That maybe an issue you are only having.

Also have been on 12.0.1 since release and also have not experienced any of these issues.

There was an interesting video posted by Jonathan Morrison yesterday. He held a blind test comparing the XR and Pocophone, mostly due to the fact that a large majority of people on YouTube were directly comparing the two. Pretty funny video, some of the reactions are hilarious. Of course, the phones are vastly different when it comes to price, but price is also relative.

There was an interesting video posted by Jonathan Morrison yesterday. He held a blind test comparing the XR and Pocophone, mostly due to the fact that a large majority of people on YouTube were directly comparing the two. Pretty funny video, some of the reactions are hilarious. Of course, the phones are vastly different when it comes to price, but price is also relative.

Interesting. I ordered the XR today, I hate FaceID but the battery life and dual sim (wont have to carry work phone anymore) won me over. I'll probably ditch it next year if the iPhone has a fingerprint sensor again.

Interesting. I ordered the XR today, I hate FaceID but the battery life and dual sim (wont have to carry work phone anymore) won me over. I'll probably ditch it next year if the iPhone has a fingerprint sensor again.
You don't have to use FaceID. You can stick to the PIN if you want. All the security experts tell you to anyway since cops can scan your face with the phone and unlock it without your permission. (Same with the fingerprint!)

You don't have to use FaceID. You can stick to the PIN if you want. All the security experts tell you to anyway since cops can scan your face with the phone and unlock it without your permission. (Same with the fingerprint!)

Yea, but I hate the pin too. I'm not worried about cops, I've posted this a lot but I work in a lab environment where the IR Dot matrix of FaceID messes with certain things therefore I can't use it, so I'd have to revert to pin anyways. I might just go without any lock option for a bit. My phone is never not within arms length.

There's nothing pointing to the return of TouchID on phones, Apple doesn't usually go a step back in terms of features. They've implemented it (TouchID that is) into the new MacBook Air, but it's pretty pointless since having your phone or watch near the laptop unlocks it without any input. Who knows though, anything could happen I suppose.

There's nothing pointing to the return of TouchID on phones, Apple doesn't usually go a step back in terms of features. They've implemented it (TouchID that is) into the new MacBook Air, but it's pretty pointless since having your phone or watch near the laptop unlocks it without any input. Who knows though, anything could happen I suppose.
I could see them bring it back as a 2-factor authentication method along with FaceID. Then in the settings you can select FaceID, TouchID, or both (default).

I'm hoping they do. Otherwise I will look at android devices that have the fingerprint on display, I don't want to switch yet becase of facetime/imessage and the ecosystem. I would need to buy 8 new phones, tablets, and smartwatches. I probably will next year for birthday's and christmas if they don't bring back TouchID.

I'm hoping they do. Otherwise I will look at android devices that have the fingerprint on display, I don't want to switch yet becase of facetime/imessage and the ecosystem. I would need to buy 8 new phones, tablets, and smartwatches. I probably will next year for birthday's and christmas if they don't bring back TouchID.

It'd be nice if it were on the back, maybe an indented Apple logo sensor on the back, so that at least the option is there, but I'm honestly very doubtful. Everyone in my family is on Apple because of me advocating for the quality and the ecosystem a few years ago. I started with the 4 in 2010 when it came to Verizon, and have always had an iPhone, each generation. In the meantime I've tested variious Android OS devices, but Apple's pull just keeps me coming back. Bought in for everyone around the time of the 7, and no one has complained yet. My folks are still using their 7's and don't really want to change, they like the TouchID and are comfortable using them, so not much point to get them over to the XS/XS Max.

It'd be nice if it were on the back, maybe an indented Apple logo sensor on the back, so that at least the option is there, but I'm honestly very doubtful. Everyone in my family is on Apple because of me advocating for the quality and the ecosystem a few years ago. I started with the 4 in 2010 when it came to Verizon, and have always had an iPhone, each generation. In the meantime I've tested variious Android OS devices, but Apple's pull just keeps me coming back. Bought in for everyone around the time of the 7, and no one has complained yet. My folks are still using their 7's and don't really want to change, they like the TouchID and are comfortable using them, so not much point to get them over to the XS/XS Max.

I started buying everyone in my family iPhones around the iPhone 5, and got them new ones every year until the 7 because its been so good they haven't complained. My family members also either bought their own iPads or I gave one to them as gifts and I even got them all the Series 3 watch last year for christmas. I would need to sell everything and buy them all new phones and tablets and smartwatches at the same time for them to switch over and not complain.

Got my XR, gotta say I am very happy with it. Coming from a 6 it’s a huge step up of course. The only thing I don’t like so much is the added weight but that’s to be expected with the bigger everything phone. Face ID is very fast and I too was uncertain about it but don’t mind it. The clips app with the Star Wars scenes is brilliant and my little one loves being in the millennium falcon. :).

It’s almost midnight and I’m about to be plug in my XS max. It is sitting at 49% with 3 hours and 12 minutes of screen on time. I am extremely happy with this battery. Especially compared to my X.

Got my XR today, and I have to say I like it so far. I don't notice the bezels quite that much coming from a 7+. Also its actually quite a bit lighter than my 7+, wasnt expecting that. I'm going to give faceID a try but I will still hate it as the only bio-authentication choice.

Also, these edge to edge displays are really nice. I don't miss the home button at all.

Got my XR today, and I have to say I like it so far. I don't notice the bezels quite that much coming from a 7+. Also its actually quite a bit lighter than my 7+, wasnt expecting that. I'm going to give faceID a try but I will still hate it as the only bio-authentication choice.

Also, these edge to edge displays are really nice. I don't miss the home button at all.

You make no sense to me. You went on and on, on how you'd never get a phone without TouchID as FaceID causes issues with you in the workplace (as well as multiple posts on multiple threads on moving everyone off of iOS to Android as a result), but it turns out all it took was a lower costed phone.

You make no sense to me. You went on and on, on how you'd never get a phone without TouchID as FaceID causes issues with you in the workplace (as well as multiple posts on multiple threads on moving everyone off of iOS to Android as a result), but it turns out all it took was a lower costed phone.

Cost is always a factor, at $1k+ I expect pretty much near perfection or everything I want. To me when a phone goes into the $1K+ range my expectations change. But to answer your question my work phone basically died (its 4 years old now) so I needed a new one, dual sim on the new iPhones would mean I dont need two phones anymore. I've used FaceID for one day and I have disabled it already, its slower than touchID and I have to now either pick up my phone while its on the desk or type in a pin. So I am just going to go without any lock options, but I will admit the upgrades coming from a 7+ is quite striking to me, I like everything about it other than FaceID. The XR's lack of the telephoto lens is also something I thought I could go without but I didnt realized I used so much. I might even get the XS and just not use any authentication, probably give my XR to my wife.

Any recommendations on cases?

I bought the Apple silicone case for the Xs Max but the thing is way too rubbery and grippy. Taking it in and out of a front pocket, even with my loose fitting jeans, is out of the question and the case immediately picks up all of the dust and whatever else that you set it on. Wiping it clean isnt any easier either.

Been using the phone naked for a couple days and all my problems are solved but I'd rather have it in a case.

I bought the Apple silicone case for the Xs Max but the thing is way too rubbery and grippy. Taking it in and out of a front pocket, even with my loose fitting jeans, is out of the question and the case immediately picks up all of the dust and whatever else that you set it on. Wiping it clean isnt any easier either.

Been using the phone naked for a couple days and all my problems are solved but I'd rather have it in a case.
I use the Spigen Liquid Air Armor case on my XS Max and also used one on my previous X. Perfect amount of grip for me without adding too much bulk.

I'm using a Totallee case, they're the thinnest cases you'll be able to find. I'm using the clear one and loving it. It's a tight fit and it adds almost nothing thickness wise. This is good if you want to not add any bulk and keep the general dimensions of phone intact, while adding a bit more grip. It's also great if you want to be able see the phone's design. This'll only really protect from scratches, and I wouldn't count on these cases for accidental drops. Overall, great product, and a great company with fantastic support. There are discounts as well.

I'm not one to use cases but the X and XS, with the stainless steel band, tend to scratch far easier. Before that, I loved using the official Apple leather cases. They wear really well and have a great patina (especially the brown one), while adding a nice grip (they also won't pick up dust like the silicon variants).

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The touch disease affecting my wife's 6+ finally got to the point where it was unusable. We both upgraded to XR's last night. Really happy with this phone so far and don't feel that I'm sacrificing at all compared to the XS.

My 6S was rapidly on the way out so I picked up a XS last weekend.

I don’t mind FaceID - it works well enough for me I don’t even notice. I’m not concerned about security with it (if I were I would not be using biometrics period).

The screen is nice. Really nice. Going over to my wife’s 8 the screen there now feels cramped and tiny. In a form factor that’s only about 1/4” longer. Tru Tone or whatever it’s called is nifty too.

I don’t notice the notch at all unless I’m in landscape.

I hate the camera bump. I don’t see why they wouldn’t just increase overall thickness 2mm so it fits flush and pack the extra volume with battery.

I also hate the sleep button on the side. I preferred it along the top like the older iPhones. I keep hitting It accidentally.

This is the first phone I’ve had with wireless charging. I put a charge pad in my truck. Holy crap that is awesome.

I preferred the aluminum back of the 6s. Not sure how the glass back is going to hold up over time. I do not use a case or any other type of protection. I understand this is for wireless charging. Transparent aluminum ftw.

Haven’t played with the camera - I’m not a photographer.

Having looked at the XR - almost wish I saved a few bucks and went there, but I don’t regret having got the OLED after using it in the truck with my sunglasses on.

I can notice the speed - Safari doesn’t randomly decide to sit. But it wasn’t like my 6S was terribly slow or that I encode video or anything that’s intensive.

I know Android has had a lot of this stuff for years now. Good for them - I’m just now catching up. My 6S was still more than enough phone for me, I wouldn’t have upgraded had it not started running really hot and the second battery starting to have issues.

I already have the series 4. A big improvement over my series 1 - and that it's not broken helps. (Dropped mine a week before the series 4 announcement on concrete).

I'll be getting a new phone. I'm not sure which yet. Hopefully the XS Max. I use my phone as a ereader, so the extra space helps. Also my 6+ is bent and doesn't always like to work now. so there's that.

I was hoping to see better battery performance in the Series 4 Watch, I'm still perfectly content with my Series 1. Apple states something like 18 hours, but I can easily get up to 36-48 hours before charging.

Back