iPhone XS and XS Max: You’re Charging It Wrong

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Following LTE and Wi-Fi connectivity issues, an increasing amount of iPhone XS and XS Max owners are now reporting that their phones won't even charge. Loyalists say this is just a software issue that should be fixed in short time.

If all worked correctly, the display on idle iPhone XS and XS Max models should light up as soon as a Lightning cable is connected. Similarly, a small sound should be played to signal that charging has commenced. However, with certain models, this isn’t happening. In fact, despite being connected, the smartphones affected aren’t even charging.

There is already an update for the Apple Watch (5.0.1) which deal with a charging issue. 12.0 not affecting my SE, however.

Following LTE and Wi-Fi connectivity issues, an increasing amount of iPhone XS and XS Max owners are now reporting that their phones won't even charge. Loyalists say this is just a software issue that should be fixed in short time.

If all worked correctly, the display on idle iPhone XS and XS Max models should light up as soon as a Lightning cable is connected. Similarly, a small sound should be played to signal that charging has commenced. However, with certain models, this isn’t happening. In fact, despite being connected, the smartphones affected aren’t even charging.

It's not just the Xs model. It's happening on the 7, 8 as well. It's an iOS 12 bug that was verified to be fixed in 12.1.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...is-real-terrible.2144226/page-3#post-26595018

It is happening on all our phones that have 12.0 on it. You have to turn the screen off, let it sit for a few minutes, and plug it in without the screen coming on. And it will do it.

Well that didn't take long for another #gate to pop up, kudos to apple, they're very consistent.

Well that didn't take long for another #gate to pop up, kudos to apple, they're very consistent.

Laugh, only "kids" use the gate term. That is really getting old.

Samsung has major issues on the Note 9 with the camera freezing up. Any new product that comes out will have bugs. This is a software bug that will be fixed.

As much as a apple hater I am this just seems like a software bug and will/has been fixed quickly. People like to jump on any minor issue from either side. Even the exploding Samsung phone issuse was like .01% that could happen to any manufacturers. This gate shit is gating old.

Laugh, only "kids" use the gate term. That is really getting old.

Samsung has major issues on the Note 9 with the camera freezing up. Any new product that comes out will have bugs. This is a software bug that will be fixed.
I don't see any videos on YouTube with 2million views about note 9 issues.

That video seems to have a horror movie score in the background. Apple users are too dramatic.

I like this guy, I started watching his videos and he is very funny dude. I don't know how I missed this guy but he is funny.

What next, you have to connect to wifi and pay the iTunes store a surcharge to unlock charging?

The next evolution of the iPhone .. single use! Buy in packs of 30 for the month.

It's amazing that after over 10 years Apple still manages to break basic functionality like, data, WiFi and charging. That's what you get when you put an accountant in charge.

Out of all the BS over the years your honestly not expecting this kind of stuff? Seriously? and you continue to buy their really shitty products, and get zero response, the absolute worst part of this is if it is a hardware issue they will pawn this off as a consumer user error issue, instead of actually taking responsibility for shit engineering. I have never seen such stupidity just like the whole it takes courage to not have a headphone jack...…….FFS it was to save them more money and to charge customers more for less, it doesn't take courage it takes a set of balls and really really stupid consumers to keep buying the stuff.

My favorite phone currently is the Essential Phone(Razer phone a close second), but if Rubin doesn't get that freaking DAC/AMP with a headphone jack released the ongoing public will shove his phones up his ass already, Google is just stupid following the trend for absolutely no reason maybe they wanted courage to...………...

What would really be nice is a freaking Phone with a serious DAC/AMP like a Wolfsen, at least then it would justify the high pricing, at some point at the rate they are going I'd rather buy an Astell&Kerns and a cheap flip phone, at least the audio wouldn't be pure dogshit. At the end of the day a phone is a phone, its a piss-poor music player, a miserable PDA, a minature tablet,..and whatever else people try to shoehorn mediocrity into a device that small...………………
AS a buddy of mine said "Its nice to have a swiss army knife, but when you need a knife in the jungle, there is no substitute for a f$%^g machete. The Swiss can cram that generalized engineering up their arse"

The main issue behind the problem is Apple started using energy from spinning the corpse of Steve Jobs to charge the phones, but as the years went on chunks flew off, so now only a select few may receive the blessing of the Jobs juice.

If your phone doesn't charge then you're only a pleb pretending to be an Apple user, and should hang your head in shame.

Although it only seems to affect some phones, I'm guessing software, because this sounds like it might be related to cuttong off date via the lightning port when the phone has been locked.
Out of all the BS over the years your honestly not expecting this kind of stuff? Seriously? and you continue to buy their really shitty products, and get zero response, the absolute worst part of this is if it is a hardware issue they will pawn this off as a consumer user error issue, instead of actually taking responsibility for shit engineering. I have never seen such stupidity just like the whole it takes courage to not have a headphone jack...…….FFS it was to save them more money and to charge customers more for less, it doesn't take courage it takes a set of balls and really really stupid consumers to keep buying the stuff.

My favorite phone currently is the Essential Phone(Razer phone a close second), but if Rubin doesn't get that freaking DAC/AMP with a headphone jack released the ongoing public will shove his phones up his ass already, Google is just stupid following the trend for absolutely no reason maybe they wanted courage to...………...

What would really be nice is a freaking Phone with a serious DAC/AMP like a Wolfsen, at least then it would justify the high pricing, at some point at the rate they are going I'd rather buy an Astell&Kerns and a cheap flip phone, at least the audio wouldn't be pure dogshit. At the end of the day a phone is a phone, its a piss-poor music player, a miserable PDA, a minature tablet,..and whatever else people try to shoehorn mediocrity into a device that small...………………
AS a buddy of mine said "Its nice to have a swiss army knife, but when you need a knife in the jungle, there is no substitute for a f$%^g machete. The Swiss can cram that generalized engineering up their arse"
Yeah, but aside from you, nobody wants to carry a DAP, Phone, PDA and portable GPS. And most are just using earbuds to listen to music, so it's debatable if a better dac would matter all that much. I'm an old Rio Karma fan, and aside form a DAC, the EQ sucks on the ipHone...fortunately, Denon has a nice free Audio Player with a good EQ built in.

Perfect no, but my days of hauling more than 1 device are over, regardless of what OS the device runs.

That video seems to have a horror movie score in the background. Apple users are too dramatic.
For some people, it is. There was a recent survey done of mobile phone users in Canada where they asked would you rather go a day without pay or an entire day without your smartphone. Many people under 40 picked a day without pay as being preferable to having to go an entire day without their cellphone. So if your phone was at 19%...you fall asleep...having plugged it in, wake up to commute to work planning to watch the end of Maniac and get to the train and go WTF? 2%?! I know I plugged it in! Some people would prefer to call in sick to work, go home and charge their phone. It is literately a horror-situation to some younger people.

This seems to have become a pattern with Apple. While I realize QA can't account for everything, charging your phone is essential. Apple hardware products are homogeneous - it's not like you have to test out a hundreds of different configurations. We are looking at maybe 10 models? (I'm taking into account differing amounts of storage - I guess you could go crazy and test different colors, but not relevant).
One of the major points of iOS12 was fixing stuff and stability. I've not had any issues with iOS12 on my iPhone 8 yet. Honestly, probably the most boring software update I can recall. I'm ok with it - it didn't break things and optimized a lot of basic UI tasks.
I used to work for a large enterprise software company. Our QA department was good - they found lots of problems. These all were ranked by severity levels (1=showstopper, 2=bad, 3=annoying, 4=never gets fixed). A showstopper would be a crash, major functionality doesn't work, and they eventually moved spelling errors to showstoppers!
Before a major release was launched, development and QA would duke it out over the ranking system. We'd eventually get a list of "must fix" issues that had to be resolved in the shipping version. The other issues (2's and some of the 3's) were planned for a service pack. Patching our software was a pain in the ass for corporations. We still shipped on tapes and CD's (this was over 12 years ago).
I'm guessing Apple has a process like this. So, if I ranked charging not working, I guess you could argue for a 2 since it mostly works. Unlike years past, Apple can get a patch out relatively quickly.

Any idea what the % of affected devices are? I’ve had 12 on 5 devices including ma new XS since release day and not a single issue with any of em.
All of them are running faster/better than ever. I never seem to be affected by these things I hear about. Except once. I had questionable GPS performance on my 7, which was a known issue with that phone on the early release-day ones.

My ancient Galaxy S5 still charges and hasn't burned anything down yet. But then I did shell out a whole $1 for it. :)

but, but, but Apple never makes a mistake. There must be a reason for this outside the scope of cognitive observation that Apple does this. One we mere mortals cannot see, nor comprehend. If Apple were to explain it to us, our heads might explode!

I had this crap happen with an LG or Moto phone (can't remember) that I ended up returning because there was no evidence of a patch coming.

I'll bet Apple patches this problem with the quickness, Android phones like mine only get patched after months of hand-fucking by the manufacturers and rebranders. Returning the phone is more efficient.

I still can't ever see the ridonkulous extra cash for Apple. Fuck their shit, drop those prices by 35% and we'll talk. You pay all that extra and get the same problems.

For some people, it is. There was a recent survey done of mobile phone users in Canada where they asked would you rather go a day without pay or an entire day without your smartphone. Many people under 40 picked a day without pay as being preferable to having to go an entire day without their cellphone. So if your phone was at 19%...you fall asleep...having plugged it in, wake up to commute to work planning to watch the end of Maniac and get to the train and go WTF? 2%?! I know I plugged it in! Some people would prefer to call in sick to work, go home and charge their phone. It is literately a horror-situation to some younger people.
Thanks to these types of people I face being instafired every day no matter what time from just having a dam phone on my person.

You pay all that extra and get the same problems.
Yeah, no. Premium price for a premium product. Most Android products are still bargain-bin class IMO.
Shiny facade now, but crap execution where it counts. That part hasn’t changed.

Although it only seems to affect some phones, I'm guessing software, because this sounds like it might be related to cuttong off date via the lightning port when the phone has been locked.

Yeah, but aside from you, nobody wants to carry a DAP, Phone, PDA and portable GPS. And most are just using earbuds to listen to music, so it's debatable if a better dac would matter all that much. I'm an old Rio Karma fan, and aside form a DAC, the EQ sucks on the ipHone...fortunately, Denon has a nice free Audio Player with a good EQ built in.

Perfect no, but my days of hauling more than 1 device are over, regardless of what OS the device runs.

It's a problem with the power save feature on the phone and security. If you turn off the security for the lightning port when locked, it will work. Only when it's on and the phone goes to sleep after a minute or two, it does it.

Any idea what the % of affected devices are? I’ve had 12 on 5 devices including ma new XS since release day and not a single issue with any of em.
All of them are running faster/better than ever. I never seem to be affected by these things I hear about. Except once. I had questionable GPS performance on my 7, which was a known issue with that phone on the early release-day ones.

All devices have the issue from iPhone 6 and up that are on iOS 12. You just have to know how to make it happen. Do not touch the device, let it sit for 5 minutes, then just plug it into the charger cable (without waking the device up), it won't beep or light up.

Back