iPhone XS and XS Max Benchmarked: World's Fastest Phones (Again)

Not surprised. I think Apple also added another gigabyte of RAM (4GB total) to the iPhone XS phones...or maybe just the XS Max - not sure.

When Google finally locks down Android to the point where I can't stand it anymore, at least I could always go to the most advanced hardware instead.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max-benchmarks,review-5745.html

Not much new here. Apple chips have been faster than snapdragon and intel year after year. I wish they would lower the walls in the garden a little so the SOC scan stretch its legs a little more without jailbreaking.

It all depends on what you want and need in a phone. Most people (including myself) want their phone to just be fast and do all the basic functions it needs to do flawlessly. I don't care about having a modified lock or home screen. Most of the time I'm in app anyway or the info given is "good enough" or I can get to the info I need in a fast enough way.
With the updates to Notification Center, I think QOL gap even in those places (where Android users disliked iOS) is lowering. So take it for what you will. Android exists because people want options and also the same for iOS. There's no perfect phone or system. It's just all about what compromises you're willing to accept (which becomes even more apparent when comparing flagship devices). The operating systems in that sense are much the same way.

I wouldn't trust Geekbench any further than I could throw an iPhone personally. We've seen enough instances of benchmarks and hardware being rigged to run it and many other tests faster on certain platforms. Yes I'm sure the new SoC is faster than the previous generation, that's a given, but the way Geekbench always makes it seem is just technologically infeasible compared to Snapdragon-based SoC hardware, the results don't scale as they should based on single core vs multi-core performance (on any platform, really).

Android will always suffer a loss because of it's non-bare metal operational platform. Perhaps when Fushcia finally makes an appearance it will truly run on the bare metal hardware so we should see some rather significant bumps in performance, whenever that happens.

I wouldn't trust Geekbench any further than I could throw an iPhone personally. We've seen enough instances of benchmarks and hardware being rigged to run it and many other tests faster on certain platforms. Yes I'm sure the new SoC is faster than the previous generation, that's a given, but the way Geekbench always makes it seem is just technologically infeasible compared to Snapdragon-based SoC hardware, the results don't scale as they should based on single core vs multi-core performance (on any platform, really).

Android will always suffer a loss because of it's non-bare metal operational platform. Perhaps when Fushcia finally makes an appearance it will truly run on the bare metal hardware so we should see some rather significant bumps in performance, whenever that happens.

You're welcome to be as cynical as you want. But it is then up to you to shoulder the burden of proof that those instances are occurring. If your reasoning is: "because they have happened in the past" is not a good enough response. In that case you're acting emotionally and not with concrete, empirical evidence.

And so we're clear, Samsung would love to have the performance crown, as would any flagship manufacturer. Undoubtedly there is testing happening from all sides as well as from hobbiest users. If there is cheating, it will be found out. With that sort of knowledge it becomes less and less likely for any organization to take that risk. Especially due to the blow back that generally occurs after the fact.

Is Geekbench perfect? No, far from it. Any synthetic benchmark is only a datapoint that gives way to more important real world benchmarks. Which I personally believe is the [H]ard mentality that Kyle also uses as he made that switch in the early 2000s from synthetic to real world with the testing of all hardware.

So sure, take it with a grain of salt, but all the other stuff gets tested too. Things like loading into camera or a browser and rebooting (all the way to using film editors and compression apps) etc all gets tested head to head. The iPhone gen after gen does incredibly well at anything having to do with heavy lifting as well as seek times. Whether you want to accept that or not is on you.

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited:

I own a Pixel 2 XL. Wife owns an iPhone X (I even bought an iPhone X for myself at launch but returned it as I wanted a larger screen). In my household I've owned 2x iPhone 3G/2x iPhone4/1x iPhone6s Plus/iPhone X, and I've owned Samsung Galaxy S3, Sony Xperia Z1, Z3C, HTC's, Note 2, Note 5, Note 8, etc.. I can tell you real world performance is always on the iPhone's side.

I ordered the XS Max. I will see if a larger screened iPhone is what I am looking for as the performance of iPhones are usually pretty top notch for a lot longer than my Android phones.

Well then you can just throw out every Huwei, Samsung, HTC, ASUS phone benchmarks as they still include the benchmark sensing tool and auto OC when the benchmark is loaded.

Speaking of.. is jail breaking still a thing with iPhones? I haven't kept up with that part of the iPhone world in a long time.

Speaking of.. is jail breaking still a thing with iPhones? I haven't kept up with that part of the iPhone world in a long time.
Yes and no. iOS 11 was jailbroken, but the developer support is only a small fraction of what it was in its hay day.

I have always been a Samsung Galaxy fanboy. After installing over 100 phones in the last few months, I really love the iPhone.
Thinking about getting one, just waiting for good deals.

Back