iPhone X May Be “End of Life” When Replacements Ship

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted that the iPhone X will be terminated as early as this summer due to waning interest. Older models are typically retained at a lower price point, but this may be the first time that Apple moves forward with a reduced range. Despite the poor reception, the X line is expected to continue with a revised “Plus” model.

KGI securities believes that Apple will ship around 18 million of the iPhone X in the first calendar quarter of 2018. Contrary to other predictions based on the supply chain, KGI says that the iPhone X has not been as impactful in China as predicted because of the notch holding the sensors for the device, giving consumers the impression that there is less usable space than on the iPhone 8 Plus.

2. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Don't worry, the iSheep will forgive them and buy the new model like good little slaves.

3. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Wondering where they get their information from. Almost everyone I know (admit my sample set is kind of small) opted for the X over the 8. I don't know a single person that bought the 8.
    I'm wondering how sales of new iPhones will be based on the battery replacement program . For me, I'm find replacing batteries and using my stuff until it no longer works. There has to be a good amount of people out there with the same philosophy.
    Hell, every time I think of upgrading my Sandy Bridge 2600k, I talk myself down. It still gets the job done just fine for me. I would not see much bang for the buck (based on my usage of the system at least.)

Ocellaris likes this.
  4. mord

mord Limp Gawd

I am the same, but brother we are in the minority. Most people want the newest because of the way they want to portray themselves.

Doward likes this.
  5. ChefJeff789

ChefJeff789 [H]Lite

Yes people are opting for the X Over the 8, IF they are buying a new iPhone. I know only two people out of all my co-workers and friends that actually own an X. Many of these people are those who would have jumped at the chance to buy a new iPhone in the past, but the X presents nothing new or useful. Many malign the fact that the fingerprint sensor is gone and that it's just too expensive. Why would they want it if it's less convenient and more expensive? I have always felt like the X was a phone Tim Cook wanted to do more (fingerprint sensor under the screen, no notch), but the tech just wasn't ready (or inexpensive enough, perhaps). I think it was pushed out so the tenth anniversary of the iPhone wouldn't just see the 8, which is functionally identical to the 6.

Say what you will about Jobs, but he knew how to sell things to people, and how to wait until they're ready. Tim Cook doesn't.

6. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

the courage to sell EOL phones is the most courageous thing ever.

7. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardForum Junkie

I opted for the 8 Plus 256Gb over the X. I like my fingerprint login.

8. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

I tried both. Returned both. I hate Face ID and the 8 Plus really isn't much different from my 7 Plus.

9. JStamsek

JStamsek [H]ardForum Junkie

I wanted to switch from Verizon to AT&T. And the latter had a buy one get one free deal. So I moved from the 7 Plus to the 8 Plus. And as a hobbyist photographer, I really enjoy the quality of the new camera. Sometimes I use the iPhone 8 Plus instead of my Canon 5D Mark IV for basic shots. lol

10. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

And the anything-but-Apple crowd will continue to bitch and complain about devices that have no effect on them. I’m not sure why everyone is always so insecure about their phone purchases.

11. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

12. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

Werd!

13. Ultima99

Thanks for assuming, but I'm not at all insecure about my phone purchases. I'm a very satisfied S7 Active user.

I also was not bitching, just making an observation. Apparently I hit a nerve.

14. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

See that’s funny because you found the need to comment on this thread and throw insults at a whole group of people just based on their phone purchases. I don’t find the need to go into Samsung/LG/HTC threads and insult their users because I’m happy with my phone and don’t need to justify it. But it’s ok, continue to insult people for using a different device from yours.

trparky likes this.
  15. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Almost like Windows, lol, tries 8 and 10 goes back to Windows 7.

Nunu likes this.
  16. Ultima99

But how will you ever learn if you aren't told you're wrong?

My S7 Active cost me $200 brand new, equipment only when Walmart discounted them last summer to make room for other models. This is less about Apple specifically and more about the mentality of the people that threw away $1k on the X and will gladly do so again with the X Plus in just a few months and nothing will change. Stop supporting your unkind masters, they won't change until you and your kinds behavior does first.

No, you're right, snowflake. We shouldn't judge the lemmings, and don't tell obese people they're fat because it might hurt their feelings, even if its with good intentions and for their own good, even though it's not hurting them the way being morbidly obese is.

“If an offense come out of the truth, better is it that the offense come than that the truth be concealed.”

Thomas Hardy

The only thing I'm sorry for is that I didn't write a short essay on this in my first post.

17. Emission

Emission [H]ardness Supreme

No way! Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

18. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Yeah, I think you chose wisely. My wife has a 6Plus that is having issues (besides the battery giving out, there is something wrong with her speaker.) Trying to decide which phone for her - it definitely won't be the X. She wants a smaller phone, so possibly an 8 or even SE. For what she does, the SE should cover all the bases.

A friend of mine got the X and was happy with it in the beginning. However, he said TouchID works a lot better than FaceID for Apple Pay and iTunes purchases. Apparently, there is an extra step involved. He also paid $1200 (which included AppleCare). Damn. I'm not paying that for a phone that won't last me more than 2-3 years.

19. Zepher

but you are fine paying up to $3600 in 3 years for cell service with nothing to show for it?

20. XenIneX

XenIneX Gawd

Holy shit, the sanctimoniousness...

Dude. It's a fucking phone.

trparky and Trimlock like this.
  21. SparkedFire

SparkedFire [H]ard|Gawd

Everyone I know who had upgraded has gotten the X. It's a good phone. Honestly it's everything every Android geek wanted minus the OS.

22. Ultima99

Oh, I guess these problems are unimportant and nobody must be pissed off about them. Oh wait, they are, but as long as people keep buying why should the executives listen?

Dude, its fucking economics.

23. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

discontinue a phone that sells 18 million a quarter?

hahaha. Samsung wishes it had this problem

24. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

I'm waiting for the X plus.

Never buy 1st gen hardware

25. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

Making out like it's a technical thing, or down to the notch.

It's the fucking price. Most of the people I know who walked away from Apple (and it's not an inconsequential amount), it was down to that. Buy the same phone you've been buying for 4 years. Or spend 50% on something that just has a fancier screen.

26. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

Everyone I know had bought a phone in the last 3 years.

They have all been phones.

They were pretty much all different except 2 v30 and 2 iPhone 7+ phones.

They all work well.
    ..... Except the CAT phone, that built in FLIR is awesome +2 points.

I use mine for VR on daydream and its awesome. I also use it to take pictures.

Mostly facts, little jelly of the infrared camera. Most do the same stuff.

......... To each there own I guess..

27. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Where is the $3600 number coming from? My cell phone bill is about $30 a month. I'm not exactly fine with paying the $30 a month to be honest...

28. gplracer

gplracer Limp Gawd

My son is in college. We bought him the iPhone 8 Plus. The X was just too much in price for what you get. I know coworkers who said the same thing. I only know of one other person who got the X. He really likes it. It is s great phone but the price over the 8 is too much. If the next generation comes out with the price of the 8 then it could be a hit.

29. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Well... Are you in China???

30. bugleyman

bugleyman [H]ard|Gawd

To be fair, you were also being a dick.

Fleat, trparky and Trimlock like this.
  31. Ultima99

Quite true, but when all the users whine about these issues and STILL hop in line for the newest model with all the enthusiasm of a 6 year old on Christmas morning? I think they've earned some.

32. Zepher

That number comes from a single line on a non-pre-paid account, which can be up to $100/mo.
    I pay $56/mo for a single line which I don't like paying either, lol

33. Putz

Putz I have a custom title

drop the facial recognition crap and additional cost is incurs, put a fingerprint reader on the back or under the glass, and id buy one

i like that format better than my 8 plus, but no fingerprint reader. no go.

34. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

Hilarious and sad. Loving my Pixel XL 1 for now. Going to keep it for at least another year or 2 till they bring back the headphone jack.

35. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I can only use an iPhone for work (corporate requirement). I am still rocking my old iPhone 6S Plus. When a plus version of the iPhone X comes out, I'll be grabbing that. I've deployed several of the iPhone X's, and I really like them. Of course, my wife has a Galaxy S8 that I really love, but can't get those at work. The iPhone X is nothing revolutionary and it's all been done before, but it's definitely not a shitty phone. Not by a long shot.

I'd prefer a nice Android, but that's not possible.

36. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

...to be replaced by the iPhone XS.. It's everything you've never needed in your phone. XD

thesmokingman likes this.
  37. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I assume EOL doesn't mean they won't support it, only they won't sell it new, right? Or am I being naive?

38. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Likely won't sell it anymore. I highly doubt they'd hang millions of iPhone X users up to dry after just 8-10 months and not provide any support. It'll likely still be supported for another 2-3 years.

39. AaronP

AaronP Bad [H]SS Mofo

My company only uses iOS Devices for phones/tablets and we completely skipped the 8 in favor of the X so almost everyone who has gotten a new phone in the last few weeks has an X.

40. farscapesg1

farscapesg1 2[H]4U

Meh.. as long as it is supported with future IOS updates I'm fine. My 6+ was having battery issues and the charging connection was wearing out (wouldn't charge half the time without fiddling with the cable for several minutes), plus it was the old 16GB model. I was well past the 2 year mark, so I ordered a new 256GB iPhone X and couldn't be happier. Screen is large enough while the phone is actually smaller than the "plus" line. FaceID works fine for me and I don't miss the home button at all. It actually feels more comfortable just swiping up to close (though the swipe and hold to get the app switcher is a little annoying). App purchases with FaceID does require a double-click with the power button... hoping that thing doesn't wear out too quickly. The right-top pull-down for quick access and left-top pull-down for notifications feels more natural than the old top pull-down for notifications, bottom pull-up for quick access.