Iphone (with Old ATT Plan) /misc questions.

trckn4life

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if I pickup an iphone through apple or apple refub, can I swap sim cards and use an old ATT Plan? I would think no...mostly because I heard you can't really swap the sim cards...and would it need to be unlocked for an old ATT Plan?

The reason I ask is I have a better plan now that if I'd sign for 2 years and get a "new" ATT plan. Also, I wondered if that would mess up data/visual voicemail etc? Maybe I'll just wait.

See I have an old plan 600 mins (350+250 bonus)+unlim N/W+unlimited incoming texts+1.99 for 25 texts to send a month. only thing is I'd want to up my texts and add data. i don't have rollover but don't care.

Also, I heard if you switch you lose any discounts you may have; such as discounts from where you work?

sounds like you have a pretty old plan (attws blue or maybe a bit older). *In theory* you should be able to buy an iphone, activate it and then just stack the iphone data plan on top of your voice plan.

That said, I don't think you have a snowball's chance at keeping your plan. The theme with cingular (and now att) seems to be 'we're happy to let you keep your grandfathered plans for as long as you want, but don't expect ANY help from us if you want/need new equipment or want to add packages to your old plan.' I'd recommend taking a close look at your actual usage (voice and texts) and see if it's really worth the effort to try and retain your vintage plan.

yes I do have an old plan. I think I got this plan when I got the motorolla v600. Then, a razor...had that at least 2 years and it's what I'm still using now. It's ok. It works well, just got a new battery not too long ago cause my other one is about shot.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that. I found a site online for hacking the iphone, should be able to do it then...but I don't know. I guess with the iphone cell plans you lose any kind of discounts you had. Yeah, I have the same impression about old plans...they don't care as long as you don't want to make changes or want their help. Cause I wondered about upping my texts (I know they'd charge me the old rate say 5.00 for 100 txt, but that's ok...everyhting else makes up for it).

I think you will need to switch to a new voice plan. I had a similar "old" plan for just voice and text service and they made me switch over to a new plan. I was also on a business account and had to switch over to a consumer one too so that may have been the real reason I had to change plans. Hopefully they have fixed it by now but activation was a bitch due to me being an old AT&T business customer. Spent way too much time getting transfered between departments within AT&T.

is your SIM card blue with "AT&T wireless" on it? if it is, you'll have to upgrade to a new plan to use the iPhone. either that, or you'll have to unlock it. the unlock is hardware only at the moment, but iphonesimfree.com is promising to release their software unlock on monday.

yeah I'm still on an old blue att&t sim. I think I may wait a little bit and see how it goes over the next few weeks cause I believe apple has an event th 25th and I wouldn't be suprised apple/itunes upI've played with it a little bit and it's cool...we'll see.

My other thought was possibly a blackberry (never had one before but the curve doesn't look too bad). I think I see more potential in the long run with the iphone tho...

Back