iPhone upgrading questions (Sprint/T-Mobile)

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm on Sprint. Been one for about 15 years or so now.

My wife is an iPhone user and currently has the iPhone X. She's looking to upgrade to a new iPhone due to the battery finally showing its age, but before we make that move, she wants me to look into something regarding voicemail.

Back in December of last year, her father passed away. She has some voicemails from him that she wants to keep. Given the critical nature of this, I'm trying to make sure that we can keep those any way we can.

I'm not familiar with the iOS ecosystem to know how it handles voicemail or if it will transfer to the new iPhone, or however it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a current backup of your device (either through iTunes or on icloud), you should be able to restore the content onto your new device.
Make sure icloud is enabled and create another backup right before you make the switch to a new phone.
Also, make sure you know your icloud account password and have at least one other trusted device on your account. It makes things much easier just in case you run into an issue with activation.
I used to have several calls daily from people who couldn't remember their passwords and who were stuck on activation screen because they were not receiving passcodes on their new devices.

Question, can't you save those voicemails as voice memos and send it over to you or email it and store it digitally? You can try testing that now, before you decide on what to do with that phone.

Question, can't you save those voicemails as voice memos and send it over to you or email it and store it digitally? You can try testing that now, before you decide on what to do with that phone.
I would also try to do that. Just to be sure you still have them.
But normally backup should do the trick too.

I would backup with icloud. Then also, download a digital copy to the computer just so you have a secondary backup location.

The strategies above sound wise. The key: make sure you have multiple backups that you know you can reach. This is one of those situations where you really don't want to gamble that automated backups work as promised.

I didn’t think voicemails backed up with iCloud. The iPhone just grabs whatever is on the phone company server for visual voicemail.

If they are important you need to hit the little export button within the voicemail on iOS and save them to files on the phone. Then they will be backed up as part of iCloud as part of the device backup.

Last edited:
My wife was in the exact same situation with both her mom and dad (fuck cancer- pancreatic and renal cell). We were able to get the voicemails as audio files (via iTines after saving them like Mchart described) off her phone. Those audio files are backed up on like three cloud platforms for her... sometimes when life is really shitty you just need to hear your mom or dad say that they love you.

It can totally be done- make sure you’ve got them before getting rid of that phone.

Back