iPhone unlocking question

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
So today I saw that the iPhone pwnage tool was released (http://www.iphone-dev.org/) and it got me thinking about the iPhone a little more. I saw that you can get it refurb for $299 from ATT online (seems to be sold out right now) and I was wondering if I could just stick with my current plan (without geting the $20 a month data plan) and toss my ATT sim card in an unlocked iPhone.

The Unlocking should bypass the $20 data plan requirement correct? I know that $20 is a great deal for unlimited data, but I just don't think i would really ever use it since it seems pretty slow, and almost everywhere I go has wifi.

Thanks
-Zac

Yes, once you get the phone you can use any number of tools to activate it and unlock it. I have yet to personally use Pwnage but I am running 1.1.4 unlocked (on t-mobile) and used iPlus, which is now part of iLiberty.

If you get the phone, just plug it and and run either iPlus (command line) or iLiberty (gui) and you will be golden. Look on youtube for videos on how to use either application, it's really easy and completely reversible. The only way you could screw it up is to unplug the phone during the unlock or have your computer crash, etc..

ignore the data plan if you are in a populated area (plenty of wifi options usually.)
unlocking is really easy with the tools available. Only downfall is if you text a lot there isn't really tactile feedback when typing on the screen. You can get used to it with the auto correct though (replying to your post from one.)

Back