iPhone supplier Foxconn confirms US EV factory for 2023

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd

iPhone supplier Foxconn confirms US EV factory for 2023​

"We knew Foxconn had its eye on a US production site to build electric vehicles, but the supplier confirmed during an investor call it wants to have an American production facility online come 2023. Nikkei first reported the news Thursday."

Excited? (What ever happened to Erek ?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...us-ev-factory-for-2023/ar-AANhVjt?ocid=msnews

111.jpg

Are they planning on designing their own electric vehicle, or are they planning on pulling a Valmet / Magna Steyr type of situation where they only contract manufacture for others?

Sounds good for the U.S since they can't get a fair amount of Asian EVs the other markets get.

Are they planning on designing their own electric vehicle, or are they planning on pulling a Valmet / Magna Steyr type of situation where they only contract manufacture for others?
They'll serve more as a contract manufacturer. Fisker already has a deal with Foxconn, for example. I could also see Apple using this if and when it mass-produces a car... it wouldn't have to ask a rival company to build its vehicles!

There's no company left named Fisker anymore. The rights are to my knowledge bought out by that big Chinese firm, and the continuation of the original Karma is named Revero. Karma Revero, that's what the name of the unreleased, new Karma sedan is.

There's no company left named Fisker anymore. The rights are to my knowledge bought out by that big Chinese firm, and the continuation of the original Karma is named Revero. Karma Revero, that's what the name of the unreleased, new Karma sedan is.
There is! Fisker Inc., and it was founded by Henrik Fisker himself in 2016. It's not the same as the company that was rebranded as Karma, but clearly having the founder onboard is important. The company's current big project is the Ocean electric SUV.

The Fisker company wasn't founded in 2016... the car dates way back. Even before the original Karma. Henrik Fisker worked on custom bodykit Mercedes SL65, etc, and sold those as Fisker cars. That info is clearly not right. Also, the guy draws cars and bodykits. He clearly doesn't understand enough about building the actual drivetrain, which is IMO part of why Karma failed.

The Fisker company wasn't founded in 2016... the car dates way back. Even before the original Karma. Henrik Fisker worked on custom bodykit Mercedes SL65, etc, and sold those as Fisker cars. That info is clearly not right. Also, the guy draws cars and bodykits. He clearly doesn't understand enough about building the actual drivetrain, which is IMO part of why Karma failed.
The modern Fisker, Inc. was absolutely founded in 2016. Here's proof, and here's the company website.

Before you insist someone is mistaken, how about making a cursory check to be sure you're right?

It's the same guy's company pulled back from its ashes. Before you talk about how much "modern" his company or his products are, I'd like to let you know that SUV has been in the making for years. Also, see this:

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/kategorien/autos-von-a-z/fisker-tramonto-268407/

Fisker is Fisker, it's the same guy's company still. He just went bankrupt and re-built his company, kind of like what Trump did back in his early days.

Tangentially related to the whole Fisker Karma thing

I have never had anyone explain to me why building a diesel-electric drivetrain (ala locomotives) isn't a good option for cars also?
A small, hyper-efficient onboard diesel paired with a small(ish) battery pack
Similar to a Vold/i3

But, you know, diesel, since diesel is cheaper, and a good deal more energy dense.
And, if a diesel is running in it's most efficient state, emissions are easily addressed as well.

I have never had anyone explain to me why building a diesel-electric drivetrain (ala locomotives) isn't a good option for cars also?

Because diesels don't scale down well in modern times. It may have worked 20 years ago, but now with the EPA crawling up the asshole of every diesel engine manufacturer, it's hideously expensive to make a small diesel engine with all of the associated emissions appliances, like DPF and DEF tanks. When you factor in the drastically reduced reliability associated with all of the emissions bullshit, plus the cost of keeping said systems maintained, you're far, FAR behind a normal gasoline vehicle. The weight is another issue altogether, you can expect a diesel engine normally to weigh at least 50% more than a gasoline engine due to needing the extra structural integrity to run at higher compression ratios and deal with the forces and vibration. The vehicle's frame also needs to be reinforced as well, which leads to car balance issues, where you have a crapton of weight in the front and not in the back. Additionally the emissions crap weighs a lot as well, DEF tanks are like having a secondary fuel tank and weigh a lot when full. Diesel Particulate Filters are also dangerous and need to be dealt with, they need to be heavily insulated and away from everything else to avoid catching the vehicle on fire, which is a common problem during regen cycles.

A hyper efficient diesel in modern times is a non-existent unicorn with all of the insane environmental regulations regarding them. The EPA wants to regulate them out of existence, as does the EU, and they're doing a good job at it. VW and other auto companies were cheating for a reason, impossible to maintain emissions goals.

But, you know, diesel, since diesel is cheaper, and a good deal more energy dense.

Diesel, the fuel is indeed cheaper per energy density in quantity. Diesel, the engine is anything but cheap. A single injector can run you $1000, and it only gets worse from there.

It'll be interesting to see how EVs do over the coming years, because they still haven't solved all of the issues of being inconvenient to use. Range is one problem, but the strain on the power grid is another.

Last edited:
and very very few people understand that DEF is really a fancy acronymn name for URINE!!! yes, that's what it is.
and all of the corrosiveness that goes alone with it. talk to any modern farmer about def issues. mike mitchell on youtubes has an entire video on how his new fendt tractor that cost over $700,000 had to be drug and winched onto a flat bed trailer because of a DEF leak that corroded the entire wiring harness and had to be stripped and replaced. imagine paying 700k and under 1 year having def ruin your equipment. and he goes on to say that def and the sensors with them is the major reason that any farm equipment is down and not running. if you look at all of the parts involved in adding def to a diesel engine...its enough material to almost make an entire gas engine. the muffler on a caseih 620 quadtrac is almost as big as i am (its bigger around just not as tall). thats just the muffler.

also add in that usually the def tank does not match the size of the diesel fuel tank....so while your fuel may last you say 16hrs, the def tank only lasts 9. welcome to that hell. imagine if in your car the diesel lasted 300miles but the def only lasted 200miles. yup. that would be fun wouldnt it?

this video is posted....today
go in about 1:15 and hear mike say his fendt ideal9 combind wont move because its thrown a def code
this is about a $900,000 machine that wont move because it cant pump urine into the exhaust!

Back