iPhone Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Other Smartphones

mobusta1

2[H]4U
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/JD-Power-Ranking-2011.png[/I

[QUOTE]For the 5th time in a row, Apple is ranking #1 in a customer satisfaction survey conducted by JD Power. The iPhone scored 795 out of 1,000 points, which is slightly lower than the 800 points it had scored in the same survey a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

Surprised?

[URL="http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/03/17/iphone-highest-customer-satisfaction/"]Source.[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised. I actually own two iphones now (1st gen and 3G, both bought used). They've been solid performers with slick interfaces. Can't really complain.

Gotta say I AM surprised by the fact there is only a 60/1000 point difference between RIM and Apple though.

If you convert the chart to a 100 point scale though, the entire showing is pretty sad. Apple doesn't even pull a B.

Last edited:
Gotta say I AM surprised by the fact there is only a 60/1000 point difference between RIM and Apple though.

If you convert the chart to a 100 point scale though, the entire showing is pretty sad. Apple doesn't even pull a B.

I was actually looking at the chart from the filled circles. The iPhone has five while the rest have three or less.

What you expect. You get a free blackberry 9700 to make phone calls with when you buy a iphone.

*NOTE: I have no idea how this survey is performed and am just playing devils advocate:

Android phones have a self-selecting bias for discerning users, thus they are more vocal about flaws. A large majority of iphone users are probably unaware of other smartphones and didn't research their purchase. The iphone would blow away their expectations since they are usually moving from a dumbphone. This is not saying that all iphone users are blissfully unaware of other smartphone offerings, but it would be disingenuous to deny that a large portion are.

Anecdotal case in point: my mom got an iphone 4g. Thinks it's the best thing ever and said it was perfect. I couldn't say that about ANY phone released in the last year, there's always at least a few things wrong.

The only thing that I can see why this is, is pretty much because Apple only has one phone, which is the iPhone. While Android has a phone on each major provider, by at least 4 different companies, with different specs, different versions of the OS and so on. So still not too bad with Android.

*NOTE: I have no idea how this survey is performed and am just playing devils advocate:

Android phones have a self-selecting bias for discerning users, thus they are more vocal about flaws. A large majority of iphone users are probably unaware of other smartphones and didn't research their purchase. The iphone would blow away their expectations since they are usually moving from a dumbphone. This is not saying that all iphone users are blissfully unaware of other smartphone offerings, but it would be disingenuous to deny that a large portion are.

Anecdotal case in point: my mom got an iphone 4g. Thinks it's the best thing ever and said it was perfect. I couldn't say that about ANY phone released in the last year, there's always at least a few things wrong.

I agree with this post but I would say the majority of android based users are in the same boat as iPhone users. The majority don't research their phones and buy whatever their friends or the salesman tells them. People at tech as such as this one are obviously the exception

Not surprising....most iPhone owners I know have multiple major issues with them and a few have sent them back numerous times and still think it's flawless. I have one friend who sent his 3G back 5 times and his 4 three times (and still drops nearly every call) yet he still swears it's a well made phone. The kool-aid is strong with that bunch so it's no wonder they're all satisfied.

I know one person who has been through five iPhone 4's due to various issues (he pretty much ran through the entire gamut of QA issues; swapped volume buttons, faulty home button, really terrible color on a couple screens), only one of which was truly his fault, and he still claims it's the greatest device (not just phone) ever made.

It's like a lot of the Xbox 360 people. The vast majority of RRoD users would not only continue to support Microsoft, but even after their 3 year super extended warranty ran out and they had to buy a brand new Xbox due to having yet another RRoD or hardware failure, they would still claim the 360 to be a "good" machine.

Some people are just so happy about specific aspects of their purchase that they are completely blind to any possible glaring, game-breaking flaws.

Still, iPhones tend to make people more satisfied than android phones, for whatever reason.

This isn't surprising as previous poster mentioned about xbox 360; Apple's iPhone when was in use by myself it was great until I trashed it and didn't have it anymore. I realized how useless 97% of the features were and how liberating it was to no longer use the iPhone.

I bought a new RIM blackberry bold 9000, I can't get over this model.

Most iphone people here have major problems with their phone and many had to swap for a different one - some even commit insurance fraud to get another one. When asked why not get an android or a blackberry, they laughed and said how unreliable or old (respectively) those are while never using an android or the new blackberry os. I never had to go to the store or commit insurance fraud on my android or blackberry devices - and most android users I know never had to do it either. So I'm thinking it's the brainwashing. When an iphone user is told that it is the best and there is no other alternative, no kidding that their customer satisfaction score is high. Heck, for a phone with twice the failure rate of the average smartphone, it is a pretty amazing feat what apple us capable of getting away with. I'm reminded how they did a study on wine that all they had to do for cheap wine to taste great is by raising the price tag, which fooled all of the wine experts (or whatever they are called) involved in the study.

Not surprising....most iPhone owners I know have multiple major issues with them and a few have sent them back numerous times and still think it's flawless. I have one friend who sent his 3G back 5 times and his 4 three times (and still drops nearly every call) yet he still swears it's a well made phone. The kool-aid is strong with that bunch so it's no wonder they're all satisfied.

Ah yes, a survey comes out you don't agree with and it's just mass delusion. And you're the one claiming others are in denial?

It might help that Apple is very good at replacing your iPhone just by simply going to their stores and getting a replacement with minimal hassle. Carriers are a much bigger pain.

I've gone through 2 iphones and my fiance 1 with no problems. Anecdotes FTW!

Ah yes, a survey comes out you don't agree with and it's just mass delusion. And you're the one claiming others are in denial?

It might help that Apple is very good at replacing your iPhone just by simply going to their stores and getting a replacement with minimal hassle. Carriers are a much bigger pain.

I've gone through 2 iphones and my fiance 1 with no problems. Anecdotes FTW!

Same here, while I'm only on my first iPhone, with zero issues though (my DINC had a million issues such as faulty GPS that couldn't keep a locked signal), the majority of my cousins and family have had the iPhone for atleast two years and none of them have had any issues which would have made them return their phone for a new one.

People don't get that these phones, unlike android phones, aren't built cheaply. :)

People don't get that these phones, unlike android phones, aren't built cheaply. :)
That explains why Apple skimped out on inferior front glass, included rear glass that is even weaker, built a phone that you can't touch or it will lose signal completely, and uses much of the same internals as other phones while skimping on gpu performance. The iphone has a laundry list of design compromises and hardware flaws. The Jesus Phone is a phone just like everything else out there...there's nothing magical about it and for a well made phone people sure do have to baby the heck out of it to keep it from cracking and breaking. Iphone fanatics sure do have a funny way of determining build quality by putting form over function. The determination of how well made something is should be defined by how well it is suited for performing a specified function. A phone that can't make phone calls when you hold it isn't well made.

That explains why Apple skimped out on inferior front glass, included rear glass that is even weaker, built a phone that you can't touch or it will lose signal completely, and uses much of the same internals as other phones while skimping on gpu performance. The iphone has a laundry list of design compromises and hardware flaws. The Jesus Phone is a phone just like everything else out there...there's nothing magical about it and for a well made phone people sure do have to baby the heck out of it to keep it from cracking and breaking. Iphone fanatics sure do have a funny way of determining build quality by putting form over function. The determination of how well made something is should be defined by how well it is suited for performing a specified function. A phone that can't make phone calls when you hold it isn't well made.

iPhone Falls From Airplane, Still Works

Last edited:
The cost of manufacturing an Apple is significantly lower than a competitively priced Android. Many also use foxconn. So saying Apple products are manufactured better is patently false.

The genius of Steve Jobs is that he knows that the most important things are what people can see and touch. So like all macs, he gives you a high quality screen and touchpad/keyboard and low-end components everywhere else. He then charges people for high-end component costs all the way through. Profit margin is significantly higher. It would be price gouging if not Apple claiming the price is higher for service and "innovations" by adding "for mobile devices" to the end other people's ideas or common sense (how Apple got away with patenting overclocking and underclocking for mobile devices is ridiculous).

Same here, while I'm only on my first iPhone, with zero issues though (my DINC had a million issues such as faulty GPS that couldn't keep a locked signal), the majority of my cousins and family have had the iPhone for atleast two years and none of them have had any issues which would have made them return their phone for a new one.

You've had the phone for what, a little over a month? I've had my Focus for 3 months with zero issues, therefore my phone is better than yours :rolleyes:

Oh, in the 3rd year my iphone had a list of broken features longer than the list of working features. Tell your family members to get ready to suck steve's dick in year 3 of their iphone heaven.

Be Apple and sell one great product = High score in return.

Be Apples competitor and sell a a couple dozen different phones from crap to kick ass = Your entire line gets averaged by the crap you put out.

Sum = Apples score is falsely inflated.

Not to mention the computer illiterate nimwits that flock to the iPhone.

You've had the phone for what, a little over a month? I've had my Focus for 3 months with zero issues, therefore my phone is better than yours :rolleyes:

Oh, in the 3rd year my iphone had a list of broken features longer than the list of working features. Tell your family members to get ready to suck steve's dick in year 3 of their iphone heaven.

One of the managers at work is in love with his 3GS. That is until iOS4 crippled his phone and left it crawling. He rolled back and lost all his contacts in the process, but he's happy to have a phone that has the speed he wants.

Another guy at work is on his 3rd 3G (non-S variety). First one refused to hold a charge after 3 months. Second one just stopped turning on one day while it charged overnight. No power outages or brownouts in his area. He just woke up to it being dead.

Another guy at my work with a 3GS also hates the iOS updates because they slow his phone down badly too. He also said ever since he got the updates after the iPhone 4 dropped, his battery life during gameplay has noticeably gone down.

So no, the iPhone is not an infallible device. Its got its own set of issues and I don't expect the next generation of it to be stellar in that regard either.

Anyone else notice that Motorola is 32 points below apple and loses 2 bubbles, yet palm is 27 points below Motorola and only loses 1 bubble...... Additionally as was stated earlier, if these were grades, everyone would have a "C".

One of the managers at work is in love with his 3GS. That is until iOS4 crippled his phone and left it crawling. He rolled back and lost all his contacts in the process, but he's happy to have a phone that has the speed he wants.

Another guy at work is on his 3rd 3G (non-S variety). First one refused to hold a charge after 3 months. Second one just stopped turning on one day while it charged overnight. No power outages or brownouts in his area. He just woke up to it being dead.

Another guy at my work with a 3GS also hates the iOS updates because they slow his phone down badly too. He also said ever since he got the updates after the iPhone 4 dropped, his battery life during gameplay has noticeably gone down.

So no, the iPhone is not an infallible device. Its got its own set of issues and I don't expect the next generation of it to be stellar in that regard either.

That's how my 3G died, ios4. I rolled mine back and lost contacts/SMS history, but it was worth it at first. Then the iphone screamed "fuck you, I want to suck!!", battery life went back to shit, GPS decided it would be great fun to put me miles away from where I actually was, calls started to drop, text messages went back to randomly sending while I was still typing, my signal went from consistently good to consistently shitty, wifi radio started acting up...

I went from loving the iphone to having the urge to burn down an apple store every time I walked by one.

The iPhone 4 is not a "super fragile POS" -- it's just more fragile than it probably needed to be. Rumor has it that Apple might go to an aluminum back once more, so the company might have learned its lesson.

The reason the iPhone topped the JD Power ranks is because it lets people get things done. Android is great, but it's designed by engineers who like to fiddle with things and pitched to phone makers who impose custom UIs you don't want and sell it to carriers who install bloatware you can't remove. In the end, you get something that most appeals to us alpha geeks who'd rather tinker than act, and most of the "consumer-friendly" additions from OEMs are things that just get in the way of your experience.

There's a good core to Android, but if you look at the exact JD Power breakdown of how they scored, HTC and Motorola lost big points for "ease of use." This gets to something that I think a lot of us miss: the iPhone appeals to the broader population because it has modern smartphone hardware mixed with an OS that they can easily understand. Your stereotypical 37-year-old, middle class father of two doesn't care that he doesn't have an FTP client on his phone or that he has a badly designed Motorola social networking widget. He wants something that will let him check mail, take video of his kids' school recitals, and maybe fire up Netflix, Slacker Radio, or Tiny Wings.

The reason the iPhone topped the JD Power ranks is because it lets people get things done. Android is great, but it's designed by engineers who like to fiddle with things and pitched to phone makers who impose custom UIs you don't want and sell it to carriers who install bloatware you can't remove. In the end, you get something that most appeals to us alpha geeks who'd rather tinker than act, and most of the "consumer-friendly" additions from OEMs are things that just get in the way of your experience.
First of all Apple ranks highest here because it's the only phone they make. HTC, Motorolla, etc are all bogged down in surveys by their low end devices.

Second, the notion that iPhone users "get things done" because it's a more friendly UI that gets straight to the point is a load of crap. Android phones get the same things done that iPhones do and don't require any additional steps to do it. The lingering 80's stench of "easier to use" lingers around every Apple product and hasn't been true in decades. It's annoying that the iPhone benefits from that outdated garbage. Proprietary connectors, limited formats, limited options, locked down apps, being tied down to a single computer, the lack of cloud computing, reliance on iTunes to do anything, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc are all things that slow users down while using it. Waiting for a video to convert, load into iTunes, then sync at a snail's pace isn't "getting things done"...it's a waste of time. The ability to drag, drop, and go saves me hours....literally hours of time over my old iPhone. There are very few things that the iPhone is more efficient at doing than my Android phone straight out of the box and it's a hell of a lot easier to use in the process. Syncing contacts for the first time is a great example.....open the box, turn the phone on, log on to email and bam, all of my contacts, information, and contact photos areinstantly loaded on to the phone. You simply can't beat that with an iPhone. There's not a day that goes by that I'm not glad I made the switch from iOS to Android.

Last edited:
You can't say that the perception most Apple users have of the company and it's products doesn't effect these types of surveys.

It could be totally deserved but the perception by the general public that Apple makes flawless products carries over through their users more so than any other consumer electronic.
Most users of other platforms such as Android or Windows Phone are probably not even aware half the time of the maker of their device so they have no attachment or loyalty and therefore MIGHT be giving a less biased answer.

This is all speculation of course :D

Syncing contacts for the first time is a great example.....open the box, turn the phone on, log on to email and bam, all of my contacts, information, and contact photos areinstantly loaded on to the phone. You simply can't beat that with an iPhone. There's not a day that goes by that I'm not glad I made the switch from iOS to Android.

That's a bit of a cherry picked situation. Sure if you use gmail for your contacts, it works that way. However, if you use Outlook it's not even close but on the iphone you just plug it in and itunes hooks you right up.. bam, all your contacts on the phone.

I'm currently using an Android phone and I like it well enough. But having owned a 3GS for quite a while I can see both sides.

That's a bit of a cherry picked situation. Sure if you use gmail for your contacts, it works that way. However, if you use Outlook it's not even close but on the iphone you just plug it in and itunes hooks you right up.. bam, all your contacts on the phone.
It's not any harder on Android. Plug in your phone and Google Sync asks if you want sync outlook to your phone and calendar. Select yes and you're done. If you're on a Samsung phone their software will automatically do that too.

Another example is adding movies and tv shows....again, infinitely easier on Android because there isn't any software and conversion times involved. The people that I know with iphones can't wrap their heads around the thought that you don't need software to add things and somehow add that to the "harder to use" category.

I'm not saying iphones are crap but what I am saying is that the idea that they are somehow easier to use isn't true anymore. In fact, after owning both, the opposite seems to be true IMO.

It's not any harder on Android. Plug in your phone and Google Sync asks if you want sync outlook to your phone and calendar. Select yes and you're done. If you're on a Samsung phone their software will automatically do that too.

Another example is adding movies and tv shows....again, infinitely easier on Android because there isn't any software and conversion times involved. The people that I know with iphones can't wrap their heads around the thought that you don't need software to add things and somehow add that to the "harder to use" category.

I'm not saying iphones are crap but what I am saying is that the idea that they are somehow easier to use isn't true anymore. In fact, after owning both, the opposite seems to be true IMO.
owned...

owned? Did you even bother reading more than one post? I'm an Android user.

Also, Google Sync isn't mentioned in the docs of any phone that I'm aware of so saying "It's not any harder on Android. Plug in your phone and Google Sync asks" skips the steps of searching for how to sync your Outlook contacts to an Android phone and wading through the results looking for one that works. Pretty much the same thing that's going on with saying that the having to convert video for the iphone is a bad thing. Sure, because we're all storing 4gb+ movies on our Android phones. You're going to be converting anyway because otherwise you're being ridiculous.

Fanboi all you want, the above points are nonpoints in alot of ways.

owned? Did you even bother reading more than one post? I'm an Android user.

Also, Google Sync isn't mentioned in the docs of any phone that I'm aware of so saying "It's not any harder on Android. Plug in your phone and Google Sync asks" skips the steps of searching for how to sync your Outlook contacts to an Android phone and wading through the results looking for one that works. Pretty much the same thing that's going on with saying that the having to convert video for the iphone is a bad thing. Sure, because we're all storing 4gb+ movies on our Android phones. You're going to be converting anyway because otherwise you're being ridiculous.

Fanboi all you want, the above points are nonpoints in alot of ways.
What? You see both sides of what? What is this that has "sides" ?

Also, Google Sync isn't mentioned in the docs of any phone that I'm aware of so saying "It's not any harder on Android. Plug in your phone and Google Sync asks" skips the steps of searching for how to sync your Outlook contacts to an Android phone and wading through the results looking for one that works.
My iPhone didn't ask me to sync contacts when I first plugged it in either because iTunes isn't preinstalled on 90% of the world's computers. I had to go get the software just like I had to go get Google's or Samsung's software. In the manual my phone gives links for Sansung Kies and mentions that it's a tool for syncing. My point is that iTunes didn't come with the iPhone, I had to go get it just like I do with Android phones making the iPhone no easier than my Android phone.

Pretty much the same thing that's going on with saying that the having to convert video for the iphone is a bad thing. Sure, because we're all storing 4gb+ movies on our Android phones. You're going to be converting anyway because otherwise you're being ridiculous.
The point is that I'm not forced to do it. This is an argument about being easier to use not what you deem stupid and unnecessary. I don't convert any video on my phone, it's on my phone in the exact format that it is on my HTPC. You might think it's stupid but I think it's an advantage of having removable storage.....a lot more storage than is offered on the iPhone in fact. I value my time and the 10 minutes it takes to drop it on my removable storage verses the 3 hours it takes to load, convert, and sync in iTunes is invaluable. What you call "ridiculous" I call easy to use.

My iPhone didn't ask me to sync contacts when I first plugged it in either because iTunes isn't preinstalled on 90% of the world's computers. I had to go get the software just like I had to go get Google's or Samsung's software. In the manual my phone gives links for Sansung Kies and mentions that it's a tool for syncing. My point is that iTunes didn't come with the iPhone, I had to go get it just like I do with Android phones making the iPhone no easier than my Android phone.

The point is that I'm not forced to do it. This is an argument about being easier to use not what you deem stupid and unnecessary. I don't convert any video on my phone, it's on my phone in the exact format that it is on my HTPC. You might think it's stupid but I think it's an advantage of having removable storage.....a lot more storage than is offered on the iPhone in fact. I value my time and the 10 minutes it takes to drop it on my removable storage verses the 3 hours it takes to load, convert, and sync in iTunes is invaluable. What you call "ridiculous" I call easy to use.

:rolleyes:

A few days ago I dled the simpsons movie. I dropped it into itunes and in about 30 seconds (same amount of time it probably would have taken to drag and drop on any flash based drive) it was synced. What is 3 hrs you are talking about? :confused:

:rolleyes:

A few days ago I dled the simpsons movie. I dropped it into itunes and in about 30 seconds (same amount of time it probably would have taken to drag and drop on any flash based drive) it was synced. What is 3 hrs you are talking about? :confused:
You were fortunate enough to download the movie in one of the very few formats the iPhone supports. The vast majority of videos on the web are not and require conversion.

You were fortunate enough to download the movie in one of the very few formats the iPhone supports. The vast majority of videos on the web are not and require conversion.

You shouldn't be downloading ilegal movies anyways :rolleyes:

Back