iPhone Photo + Boobs = Anon Hacker Busted

HardOCP News

[H] News
My prediction that it would take authorities "two weeks" to bust (heh...bust) these guys was wrong. It actually took the FBI three weeks to nab this guy. At least Anon still has its perfect track record...of getting busted every time they pull off a hack. :rolleyes:

Court documents show that Ochoa appeared in court on March 21 and was released on $50,000 bail. He will appear in court again on April 10 before Magistrate Courtroom Deputy Annette French. Ochoa claims to be cooperating with officials saying, “I turned over all accounts in my control and forfieted [sic] any protection I personally may have had to ensure they believed I was cooperating.”

reason 82,285 not to have a smartphone...

According to the FBI, data taken from the picture showed it was taken by an iPhone. GPS co-ordinates taken from the photo also pinpointed the exact Wantirna South street and house where it was taken.

Scary.

That function can be very easily turned off. Or you can use an EXIF stripper before uploading it.

The problem here was a stupid person, not bad technology.

Kinda makes you wonder of the actual "skillz" of said hacker if he wasn't aware of the tracking data on the IPhone.

Scary part of that equation if he was that incompetent then what does that say about the security of the websites he hacked :eek:

Filtering out the gene pool.

That picture data is indeed scary though.

Cameras have been doing this years, saving your camera make, model, settings and some high-end cameras include GPS aswell. The only thing new is every smartphone now has GPS so it uploads it saves that to the metadata aswell.

On my Android phone I have to turn the GPS on for the basic camera function after doing a full reset. So it's automatically on for iphones??? I like this feature though.

The FBI affidavit says the picture appears to be of the same woman as the first, though given her face was concealed, it is unclear how they made the connection.
I know two reasons how they made the connection.

Also, the metadata isn't 100% dead on accurate. It will get you close, but when I was messing with a picture from a friends iPhone 3GS, the gps coordinates were off by several blocks.

I suppose if they have a suspect in a certain area, they can use that information to confirm, but if that's all they have, its still pretty hard to track someone down.

Seriously, how can any semi tech person not know that by default most smartphones geotag photos?

Well looks like we have to go back to our childhood:

After thorough inspection, the Female Body Inspectors were able to "satisfy themselves" with the identity of the woman in question.

According to the FBI, data taken from the picture showed it was taken by an iPhone. GPS co-ordinates taken from the photo also pinpointed the exact Wantirna South street and house where it was taken.

Scary.

more like reason #1 to not allow that kind of stuff to be enabled in your smartphone.
or reason #1 to not allow the government to be able to track people with such quick and scary accuracy.

Using default setting. When you open an image in photoshop and re-save it, are the GPS coordinates preserved?

On my Android phone I have to turn the GPS on for the basic camera function after doing a full reset. So it's automatically on for iphones??? I like this feature though.
Seriously, how can any semi tech person not know that by default most smartphones geotag photos?

On an iphone it's not even the default setting. The phone asks you "do you want to use location data" when you open up the camera for the first time, if you selected yes it'll put in the geotag, if you selected no then it won't.

My guess is most people don't even bother to read it and just click yes. No wonder people complain about bad battery life on iphones, they're probably running the GPS constantly because they just click yes every time an app asks if they want to use location data. :p

Using default setting. When you open an image in photoshop and re-save it, are the GPS coordinates preserved?

I would guess Yes because the amount of data photoshop can save on just one image is kind of scary.

My guess is most people don't even bother to read it and just click yes. No wonder people complain about bad battery life on iphones, they're probably running the GPS constantly because they just click yes every time an app asks if they want to use location data. :p
it's not an issue of ignorance about the feature. everyone is reading those prompts and ok'ing them because they're tied into a half dozen social media sites. people *want* to share their private data and positional information.

perhaps they should not want to share their information and maybe some aren't concerned as much as others think they should be, but that shouldn't be confused with them not knowing what it's doing.

it's not an issue of ignorance about the feature. everyone is reading those prompts and ok'ing them because they're tied into a half dozen social media sites. people *want* to share their private data and positional information.

perhaps they should not want to share their information and maybe some aren't concerned as much as others think they should be, but that shouldn't be confused with them not knowing what it's doing.

I'm not so sure about that. A few times something like this has come up and a lot of people respond with "oh wow I didn't even know". I've seen people post pictures on forums then other people come along and tell them their own address and they're shocked because they didn't realise the picture they posted contained that info.

I'm sure some people knowingly leave it on, but I'm also sure a lot of people don't even realise, like the hacker in the OP of this thread... surely he wouldn't have used a picture when he was knowingly giving up his location.

Funny thing, that Anon hacker is from Wantirna South which is only a few minutes drive from my house, I drive past it almost every day on my way to work.

Shouldn't the headline be: "Anonymous hacker actually has real girlfriend!!" ??

I figured that was his mom that volunteered for the pic when she went down into the basement to tell him to take out the trash.

Glad one of these douche nozzles got busted. I freakin' hate these guys.

3 weeks? Seems like with that kind of trail they could have busted him in 3 hours.

Scary.

Not really scary...

It's just geotagging that becomes part of the metadata of the image.

Most cameras these days tag any image taken with data, like camera model, settings used to take the picture, and - if available - geotags.

Really a noobish mistake to leave these tags in the image posted to the web :rolleyes: Someone who claims to be an accomplished hacker really ought to know better.

for an anon hacker, he was dumb enough to leave the EXIF data intact on the image file.

Zarathustra[H];1038607102 said:
Really a noobish mistake to leave these tags in the image posted to the web :rolleyes: Someone who claims to be an accomplished hacker really ought to know better.

Sure, but one by one, we are taking technology for granted, and not paying attention to the checks and balances that are being stripped away.

At least that's my opinion. And why I roll with a "dumb"phone.

Scary.

its called exif data.. not much of a hacker if he isnt aware of it

Sure, but one by one, we are taking technology for granted, and not paying attention to the checks and balances that are being stripped away.

At least that's my opinion. And why I roll with a "dumb"phone.

Who's "we"? I know cameras tag images with all kinds of data and it takes all of 5 seconds to get rid of it. Why limit what technology you use when you can instead learn a teeny tiny bit about how it works and avoid the negative aspects?

That function can be very easily turned off. Or you can use an EXIF stripper before uploading it.

The problem here was a stupid person, not bad technology.

Agreed. The fool had his digital shitprints everywhere. Wasn't that hard to follow.

Back