iPhone has better graphics than Vita

ScottSwing

Gawd
HFVUh.png

PSP is consistently the worst-selling console year after year. What was once the most advanced portable gaming platform you could buy is now an unnecessary tumor in the market. iPhones are in millions of pockets already, which means there's no reason to buy a new toy to play games. And while iPhones are improving with each annual release, PSPs are on a 5-year refresh cycle which leaves gamers with graphics from a full generation ago. The Vita hasn't been released yet and it's already outdated. Should they just pull a Sega and back out of the handheld arena?

Jurassic Park - iPhone
Y7cPh.jpg

Reistance: Burning Skies - Vita
HwPLu.jpg

Infinity Blade 2 - iPhone
vZZJG.jpg

Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
uaYQc.jpg

Modern Combat 3 - iPhone
DouGW.jpg

Killzone - Vita
YReDJ.jpg

Real Racing 2 - iPhone
I94Uz.jpg

Ridge Racer - Vita
WpPtc.jpg

In case you're thinking "at least it's better than the DS." Well, not really.
Resident Evil: Mercenaries - 3DS
gukO0.jpg

The real racing 2 ss are nowhere near what the game look like for real.

I've never been one for portable gaming what so ever, but it is a valid point. The only thing that keeps me from ever playing cell phone games is the lack of a proper control set up, I hate touch screen controls. The fact that the Vita has two joy-sticks changes everything. Having great hardware is one thing, great game play without a proper controls is a much more difficult hurdle.

I dont think the 3DS and Vita are going to be great successes by any means but I dont think graphics will be very near the top of the list of reasons why. More apt reasons IMO are

Availability of Android & iOS -so many people have smartphones or an iPod Touch now
Sony pricing-$5 minis. Sony...get a clue. Anything called a 'mini' better be $.99 or people will just laugh when they are mentioned like now.
Sony pricing-Proprietary memory for $120 for 32 GB. No Sony, just...no.
Games- This one is a little more difficult to point to because some people enjoy it, but to me the full $40 game experience is better enjoyed on my couch at a console, not on my couch looking at a handheld. Maybe the commuter/traveler market is bigger than I think, but I think the gamer/commuter/traveler venn diagram is a pretty small segment of population.

I don't think it is too late for this, but I think Sony should do what they can to put Android on the Vita. It could possibly run android within the Vita firmware (I know, clunky and a little bloated maybe) but they would then open themselves up to a lot of apps, some free, some not. One way or the other people would be owning a Vita at that point maybe. They could work with games in the Android app store to include controls that would get rid of on screen buttons and replace them with the hardware buttons on the Vita. That is the major advantage the Vita has, and it is about the only one. It has buttons.

I don't really play portable games that much since I don't travel often (unfortunately) but for "hardcore" on the road travel, I couldn't use an iphone or any touch screen game. It's good for simple physics based games but anything else is pretty frustrating.

Superior control
Superior games

Like I said in another thread, if dedicated handhelds are a sinking vessel, then I will go down with the ship.
Vita is preordered and paid for. Can't wait.

Lol is this a troll?

What did you grab the worst camera photos of Vita and then grab pre-rendered photos from iPhone games?

Every single review I have seen so far, has said Vita graphics are awesome and developers say it has a lot more potential (graphics wise) then anything else out right now...

But you are right I will believe your "grab the crappiest photos of Vita vs best from iphone"

Oh look I can do it too!!!

This is Vita...

index.php

versus iPhone...

mzl.ztafrdbg.320x480-75.jpg

P.S. I really do agree that the graphics aren't some new awesome never before seen graphics...Vita is only for people that want the best graphics in their pocket with some actual usable controls. If people don't care about that, then yeah a phone is just for them. This post was really only to show that your comparison sucks and your opinion that the iPhone has better graphics sucks.

Last edited:
Lets see: The Iphone has been out for years, and the Vita has been out for what? A month in Japan? It's like comparing release games on the PS3 to those that we have now.

Stupid thread is unneeded.

Lets see: The Iphone has been out for years, and the Vita has been out for what? A month in Japan? It's like comparing release games on the PS3 to those that we have now.

Stupid thread is unneeded.

The iPhone 4S was just released in October. Developers have been working on Vita games for the past several months, whereas iPhone developers can only write software for hardware that's in stores, which means these games aren't even optimized for the new graphics chip. You don't honestly think it takes a month to write a game, do you?

What did you grab the worst camera photos of Vita and then grab pre-rendered photos from iPhone games?

I was trying to grab the best screenshots from both platforms. With the exception of Uncharted, Vita games look like PS2 with higher res textures.

seriously. I love real racing , but this game isnt even near of what it looks like on the SS. Use some real SS before doing a thread like this.

The iPhone 4S was just released in October. Developers have been working on Vita games for the past several months, whereas iPhone developers can only write software for hardware that's in stores, which means these games aren't even optimized for the new graphics chip. You don't honestly think it takes a month to write a game, do you?

Same basic architecture as the Iphone 4.

yeah, I can't see dedicated portable consoles (DS & Vita) lasting too much longer. iOS devices (and Android to some extent) are putting the final nails in the coffin as we speak. Companies that take the time to do a game right on iOS, shows that it's not just a casual market... there are users that want a more indepth gaming experience on the road. It's hardware is also updated every year where dedicated consoles usually have to last years before they get any sort of facelift.

Something that it does need, however, is physical buttons (or a standardized API for 3rd party add ons). Some games work pretty good with the touch interface and it forces developers to come up with interesting and creative ways for the player to interact with the game, but some really do require real buttons. FPS's and platformers can be quite painful to play with a virtual joystick.

The vita wont be outclassed at least until the iPhone 6

Vita has Quad Core A9 SGX543MP4 vs Dual Core A9 SGX543MP2 (twice the cores on cpu and graphics) plus 128mb vram

Plus an OS optimized for games, its not nearly as resource sucking as iOS for sure...

The vita wont be outclassed at least until the iPhone 6

Vita has Quad Core A9 SGX543MP4 vs Dual Core A9 SGX543MP2 (twice the cores on cpu and graphics) plus 128mb vram

Plus an OS optimized for games, its not nearly as resource sucking as iOS for sure...

i really hope the vita suceed . But i wont order one until the price come down a bit

You are right you "grabbed the best pictures" :rolleyes:

Here are "good" Vita screenshots...

amz7s2.gif

Virtua-tennis-4-graphics.jpg

vt4vita.jpg

0vt4vita2.jpg

640107_20110819_screen001.jpg

Ridge Racer
Ridge%2BRacer%2BPS%2BVita.jpg

fifa12_vita_screenshot_7.jpg

Now take out some of the Pre-rendered shots...and do a comparison...

I don't think I've seen a bigger troll than what the OP just tried to accomplish. It's another thread to gather all the Sony haters.

Looks like the iphone screens are from ingame cinematic cut scenes and not actual gameplay...

looks like someone wants to show off their i-peen lol too bad they failed miserably

Cell phones are only really good for potty gaming...

There are a few reasons why cell phone gaming can't compare with regular hand-held gaming..

First is obvious, the controls. Clearly no cell phone has superior controls to any of the handhelds available (except maybe that Sony cell, but i'm still not sold on that thing). And attachments don't count, it makes the cell phone much bulkier.

Second? Battery life. Sure the 3ds and Vita have poor battery life, but you don't need them to do anything else but play games. If your cell phone dies then you lose much more than just your gaming system. You lose your primary source of communication. If you aren't near your charger when this happens, then you are SOL. Battery life on cell devices has taken a backseat to faster processors, which is quite sad.

Third: cell phones aren't consistent. You might be able to play an amazing game on the iphone 4s but not on the iphone 4 or 3gs. Same goes for Android phones. Too many hardware specs to capitalize on anything. Sort of like the PC gaming market. Proprietary systems are better for gaming. It actually seems like Windows Phone has an advantage in this segment, and I wouldn't be surprised if Micro-Nokia comes out with an Xbox phone next year with great controls.

Unless we start seeing AAA titles on a system with optimized controls, handheld gaming on cell phones will never compare to traditional hand held gaming. Sadly people are just buying Ipod touches or iphones to replace all other devices and developers are pushing shovel ware that people will buy. All-in-one gadgets are very nice and convenient, but then you can go back to the age old adage that says "jack of all trades, master of none".

Its difficult to compare graphics unless you have both devices. Published, so called "screenshots" are worthless.

This is what I am saying. You can not play games on a touchscreen device. No tactile feedback, no fun. You just can't do it. I had a iphone, tried playing games like NOVA on it and while it was impressive to play a fps on a phone the controls were horrible.

First of all iPhone has a 3.5" screen. You have to TOUCH THE SCREEN to make the game work, so you effectively have very little space to actually see what you are doing. Also, with having big hands, and large thumbs I was constantly blocking my own view when I was trying to aim or see something. For puzzle games, and point and click games touch screens work just fine but that is it. Also, the Vita is just now coming out. It is lame to judge the Vita based on launch games that haven't even released yet. Also, the iPhone has been out for a while with developers working on games for much longer so that have a head start. I think the Vita will be great. But again, it's all with the controls. The PSP was great for gaming, but lost my interest after a while because of the lack of second joystick. Also, with me working everyday and not having much time to play games at home anymore even though I have a gaming pc, ps3, and xbox 360... gaming on the go is more important. I have a HTC Evo and the games on it suck. When I had a iPad, that is all I used it for was games and web browsing. So the Vita is going to fit right into my tech family of devices. Good control layout, nice big screen, great graphics, and online play with voicechat....

I am really excited to see what the Vita is capable of. Not to mention that the Vita will have excellent games to go along with it which I can't say the same for the iPhone library of games. You won't be seeing nay Metal Gear Solid, or Little Big Planet on the iPhone... you just can't play these games effectively on a touch screen. Touch screen gaming is incredibly stupid and I could never get used to it. Not feeling physical buttons, not every knowing where I am touching, getting no tactile feedback is a huge hindrance to this trend of mobile gaming. At then end of the day, it doesn't all come down to graphics either... the Vita will just have a better library of games, with much better controls that are actually made for... gaming.

At the end of the day,

Superior control
Superior games

Like I said in another thread, if dedicated handhelds are a sinking vessel, then I will go down with the ship.
Vita is preordered and paid for. Can't wait.

Almost all are not in the correct ratio either. Hopefully everyone looks at what Bowhuntr11 posted. There is one game PS Vita game that looks awful, F1 2011. http://andriasang.com/comz54/f1_2011_vita_3ds/

Those large images that Bowhuntr posted are the actual PS Vita resolution (960 x 544).

My question is... who the fuck buys F1 games? lol.

Not to diss the sport, because I like F1 racing but it gets more boring after the first lap than any other driving sport other than nascar (in videogames anyway).

Enjoy playing games on your 3.5" touchscreen with your hands obstructing half the screen, then.

And not counting the fact that the PS Vita has higher spec graphics under the hood than the iPad 2.

The only argument I see against the Vita that has some merit is the consolidation of handheld devices. These days, people no longer want a PMP or a handheld gaming device when their smartphone can do both as well. But then again, Sony could launch a PS Vita Phone later...

Let me know when iphone/android/ipad has better games in depth and quality than the psp 1 say in comparison to God of War : Ghost of Sparta, Wipeout Pure, Tekken 6, MGS, Vice City Stories, LBP, Burnout, Ratchet and clank. Thats right the games in those genres arent even as good as the original psp!
Graphics arent everything, didnt we learn that over the past 5 years!!
Infact ios games arent even as good as snes games in playability imo!! Thread fail!!

Let me know when iphone/android/ipad has better games in depth and quality than the psp 1 say in comparison to God of War : Ghost of Sparta, Wipeout Pure, Tekken 6, MGS, Vice City Stories, LBP, Burnout, Ratchet and clank. Thats right the games in those genres arent even as good as the original psp!
Graphics arent everything, didnt we learn that over the past 5 years!!
Infact ios games arent even as good as snes games in playability imo!! Thread fail!!

You should do a little research. iOS (and android) has many many great games available.

Real Racing
Modern Combat 3
Shadow Gun
Infinity blade 2
GTA 3
GTA China Town Wars
Final Fantasy 1-3
SimCity
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dead Space
Galaxy on Fire
Rainbow 6
The sims
Puzzle Quest
The Settlers
Civilization
Monkey Island games
Madden
Fifa
NBA Jam

and that's only scratching the surface. There are thousands of really great games done by indy studios that don't get the recognition they deserve. They're not all Angry Birds clones. There are quite a few AAA games avalible for iOS these days designed for a touch screen interface. The PSP and systems like it are on the way out. I'd be really surprised if Sony decides to continue the PSP after this generation.

Last edited:
You should do a little research. iOS (and android) has many many great games available.

Real Racing
Modern Combat 3
Shadow Gun
Infinity blade 2
GTA 3
GTA China Town Wars
Final Fantasy 1-3
SimCity
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dead Space
Galaxy on Fire
Rainbow 6
The sims
Puzzle Quest
The Settlers
Civilization
Monkey Island games
Madden
Fifa
NBA Jam

and that's only scratching the surface. There are thousands of really great games done by indy studios that don't get the recognition they deserve. They're not all Angry Birds clones. There are quite a few AAA games avalible for iOS these days designed for a touch screen interface. The PSP and systems like it are on the way out. I'd be really surprised if Sony decides to continue the PSP after this generation.

Tactile Feedback.

/thread

Tactile Feedback.

It really depends on the game. When done correctly, you really don't need it (dead space is a great example)... and some games just don't need it at all (strategy and simulations for example).

I do agree somewhat though... I hoping that either Apple or a 3rd party developer comes up with a standard API that developers can use to give users the option of playing with a physical controller. The iCade is a great start, but sucks that only a few select titles even take advantage of it.

A buddy of mine has an android tablet and was playing Shadow Gun on it with a PS3 controller... it was great. I felt like I was playing it on a playstation... not a mobile device.

It's probably worth mentioning how poor the framerates and bogdowns are in many iPhone games. Infinity Blade 1 and 2 are both horrible culprits...especially since iOS5 has the alert bar permanently running in the background.
Most of those game are really only truly hitting their potential on an iPad, which is far more expensive and probably *should* be stronger than a Vita.

troll post is troll, holy crap. Infinity blade is a horrible example anyway. While it looks great, it is so limited to what you see on the screen to achieve that wow factor. It wont scale worth a shit beyond that.

Real Racing
Modern Combat 3
Shadow Gun
Infinity blade 2
GTA 3
GTA China Town Wars
Final Fantasy 1-3
SimCity
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dead Space
Galaxy on Fire
Rainbow 6
The sims
Puzzle Quest
The Settlers
Civilization
Monkey Island games
Madden
Fifa
NBA Jam

Research you are kidding me right?
I own an Xperia Play and a Tablet and have most of those games on that list, ive probably got more games on Android than anyone else on this forum. Ive yet to play a game on android or ios that are better than what the psp excelled at.

Shadowgun? That game is a fuckin joke, cool graphics dont make a good game, the gameplay, ai, and sound are terrible.

Dead Space? Not bad for a mobile phone/tablet game but still is this the best you got? Simple corridor design game...sheesh!

GTA on ios and android? That game came out on psp 1 in 2005!!! The PS2 in 2001!!

China town wars? looks and plays better on PSP1

Fifa 12 is very very good on mobile especially the xperia play, controls suck on touch screen only.

Modern combat 3? shocking Ai and boring levels, better fps games on the 6 year old psp.

The 1 ill give you is:

Real Racing 2, beats the psps gran turismo but still the sheer amount of aaa excellent racing games on psp makes up for this.

3D Platform games on ios/android? erm where are they?

Fighting games? Infinity blade is alright, yer great graphics but very repetitive. SF4? gimped with stupid controls, "press here for super move" oh yeah!!

The games that have great graphics on ios and android bar Real racing play like tech demos, they have no real depth and overall quality.

Most of the comparable games that you rate AAA or 10/10 on ios/android would get an ok or 7/10 on the psp 1 and probably 5/10 or less on the psp vita. If ios versions of modern combat 3/dead space/shadowgun/rainbow 6/gta 3/china town wars were launch games on the PSP vita they would get laughed at!! Dedicated mobile app game reviewers jizz over all the games you mentioned but true game reviewers think the majority are mediocre at best.

PSP does really well in Japan, which is where it's targeted and the games are targeted for. That's all people play there, well that and the DS and arcade machines. It doesn't have to to do all that well globally, it does fine for it's target audience.

Back