iPhone Explodes in China, Injures User's Eye

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Another week, another exploding iPhone story from China. I’m starting to wonder about the Chinese contingent of iPhone users since they appear to be the main target for malfunctioning Apple products. Drop your phone, talk on it for 40 minutes and it blows up in your face; it would have been poetic justice if she had actually been a Foxconn employee who made the iPhone in the first place. :D

A staff member from Apple's after-sales service department told Da Lian Evening News such incidents required further investigation and typically would not be covered under product warranty.

I can't imagine this would have anything to do with a shoddy 3rd party accessory.

geez... what DOESN'T explode in China.

Their bombs.

What does explode:
-CRT monitors
-computer chairs
-watermelons
-manhole covers
-garbage
-phones
-tablets
-coffee makers
-coins
-shark tanks
-breast implants
-soda cans
-space rockets
-electric taxis

There seems to be an effort to push people away from American companies and towards chinese ones so they have more control. There will be a lot more of these stories trying to scare people away from Apple/American products.

There seems to be an effort to push people away from American companies and towards chinese ones so they have more control. There will be a lot more of these stories trying to scare people away from Apple/American products.

so what happen in UK, Australia, and many other "non"-Asian countries wants Chinese control??? seriously,

Waiting for the PLA trolls to show, now.

It could be American hacking into the general population. They hack us and take our research, and we hack them and take out their iPhones. Game. Set. Match.

When I see the word "explodes", I have certain expectations. "Dropped phone's screen develops stress fracture due to warped chassis" does not quite meet those expectations.

I am disappoint.

I am part of an electric RC planes club, we use lithium-polmer(Li-PO) batteries that are very light and yet have a very good power density. it is not rare for a crashed plane to take fire due to the battery getting poked and oxygen entering inside the pouch cause a very fast exothermic reaction with the lithium causing the poked battery cell to reach a temperature where it ignites the other cells. It is also not uncommon to have a fire when charging those battery, hence why we charge them on a concrete block or in an ammunition crate. A few people leaving the batteries unattended during charge have burned their houses.

All that to say that any damaged lithium battery is unstable and yes, can explode. I am amazed that these kind of accidents never happen more often with the amount of people still using their badly damaged iphones.

"Dropped phone's screen develops stress fracture due to warped chassis" does not quite meet those expectations.

sigh~ this should be part of engineering design process, expecting damage and how to re-enforce the structure, that is why there is CSA or UI or other safety certification... but they don't extend far enough

example, when a device with power, a hot (AC) or VC+ (DC) should be on the inner PCB, and ground/neutral should be outer PCB and when same power cord break, the gound should break first.

this prevent fire hazer and other issues

With this new incident...will Apple change the name to...

EyePhone?

I'm terrible.... :D

I am part of an electric RC planes club, we use lithium-polmer(Li-PO) batteries that are very light and yet have a very good power density. it is not rare for a crashed plane to take fire due to the battery getting poked and oxygen entering inside the pouch cause a very fast exothermic reaction with the lithium causing the poked battery cell to reach a temperature where it ignites the other cells. It is also not uncommon to have a fire when charging those battery, hence why we charge them on a concrete block or in an ammunition crate. A few people leaving the batteries unattended during charge have burned their houses.

All that to say that any damaged lithium battery is unstable and yes, can explode. I am amazed that these kind of accidents never happen more often with the amount of people still using their badly damaged iphones.

I have had a few LiPo batteries burn up in my RC Helicopters. They are spectacular when they catch fire. I lost a good part of a Logo 600 because the motor that was in it was too much for the packs and they puffed up and caught fire in flight. Almost totalled it with the sudden loss of power.

Probably goes to show you that the batteries in common electronic devices either don't see the same abuse or are designed to higher safety standards than the ones in RC planes.

Probably goes to show you that the batteries in common electronic devices either don't see the same abuse or are designed to higher safety standards than the ones in RC planes.

They do make hard pack LiPo 's for the RC hobby but for the RC cars and not in the bigger capacities and voltages. Drawing too many amps, and hard collisions with the ground are hard on LiPo packs.

These articles always seem to omit the fact that the person is usually using some bootleg charger that sent full wall voltage into the phone or similar.

Well, good thing this happened in Asia. Could have been a lot worse for a person whose eyelids are naturally open wider, exposing more eyeball.

sigh~ this should be part of engineering design process, expecting damage and how to re-enforce the structure, that is why there is CSA or UI or other safety certification... but they don't extend far enough

example, when a device with power, a hot (AC) or VC+ (DC) should be on the inner PCB, and ground/neutral should be outer PCB and when same power cord break, the gound should break first.

this prevent fire hazer and other issues

You actually WANT the hot side to break first. If the ground (aka common) breaks first, the circuit is still energized and dangerous. In most multi-layer PCB's both voltage and ground planes already in the middle with signaling and power routing on the outsides.

When I see the word "explodes", I have certain expectations. "Dropped phone's screen develops stress fracture due to warped chassis" does not quite meet those expectations.

I am disappoint.
I too was expecting an evacuation of the "radiation zone" about four miles around the city, with an 1/2 mile epicenter where everything is vaporized.

I bet it's a cheap knock off, or a third party charger again, you would have thought they would have learned after the still soaking from a bath chick answered the phone while it was charging...Oh I'm sure the third party charger might have played a part, but being covered in water and holding a metal cased device on an electric current probably helped a lot more.

You actually WANT the hot side to break first. If the ground (aka common) breaks first, the circuit is still energized and dangerous. In most multi-layer PCB's both voltage and ground planes already in the middle with signaling and power routing on the outsides.

oops yea is the other way around, did that CSA design training a long time ago, as I don't really do much of validation process, that is why we have P.ENG for!

Well, good thing this happened in Asia. Could have been a lot worse for a person whose eyelids are naturally open wider, exposing more eyeball.

When I go to hell, I want to hang out with you.

Pretty sad that the are dumb, ignorant, and racist jerks like yourself that are still breathing. +1 you can go to hell.

Hope you get banned from here too.

Here is a joke, only people in China put mini bombs next to their face without knowing about it.

I was on a work trip and bought a charger on the road because i forgot mine. I got back to the hotel plugged it in and my Iphone 4 started shooting sparks everywhere. I freaked out and chewed out apple about the issue. They just kept telling me how its not covered by insurance and i told them that they almost set a hotel room on fire. F your insurance!

Dudes. Read up on Li batteries. You cannot charge them with jumper cables. They have a very specific charge curve.

Power tools also blow up when you don't charge them correctly. Except they are capable of killing you.

Don't fk around with charging. Either do it per mfr, or pay somebody to do it for you.

Plus, how many warnings are in the instructions about using the correct charger and battery?

Maybe Apple is just shipping their lower quality parts to China due to more lax regulations?

Pretty sad that the are dumb, ignorant, and racist jerks like yourself that are still breathing. +1 you can go to hell.

Hope you get banned from here too.

LOL I always get a kick out of people that are looking for something to overreact to and get all bent about. People are too busy sulking in the corner with their irritability and frustrations with life to pause and see the lighter side of anything.

I'm of partial Asian descent, so I reserve the right to make as many racial comments towards Asians as I choose. Not that my racial background is any of your fuckin' business, of course.

It was initially a joke about epicanthic folds, but now the joke is on you, bravo!

God bless.

:cool:

Back