iPhone+dial up?

Lazarey

Gawd
I have dial up internet because I live way out in the country and it's the only thing offered that isn't outrageously expensive. I read that you have to download iTunes if you get an iPhone. Then I heard that you can't use iTunes if you're on dial up. Is that true?

Also, can I use an iPhone if I don't pay for the mobile internet or whatever it's called?

You don't need iTunes to have an iPhone but it helps. You update the iPhone with iTunes, use it to manage music, etc. You also need wifi if you want to download apps over 10mbs on the iPhone and if you want to use the iTunes store app.

You can use an iPhone without mobile internet, but right now I don't think you can buy one without a contract that includes internet. Its been confirmed that AT&T pay as you go cards work. So I think the issue would be getting the phone in the first place without buying mobile internet.

FYI if you get an iPhone with internet and they have 3G coverage where you live you can use the iPhone for "high" speed internet. The problems are the netshare app is no longer available, but if you jailbreak you can do this. Another downside is if you use too much "unlimited" internet your account will probably be canceled.

The reality is the iPhone is pretty lame without Internet. My favorite apps on the iPhone are Pandora Radio and Stitcher (pod cast) which are useless without internet.

Back