iPhone coming out June 29

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
So yeah, the new commercials confirm that the iPhone will be available June 29. Who here's going to go and try to get one? I think I might go if I have time. I probably won't use the phone, but I know I have friends who'll want it and will buy it from me plus take me out to dinner for it. I kind of just want to see how long the lines will be.

Part of me thinks they'll be as long as or longer than the lines for PS3/Wii, and part of me doesn't. I mean, you have to sign a 2 year contract, and they do a pull on your credit report (plus your credit has to be good enough to get a phone in the first place). Either way, I'm sure there'll be lines.

Also, I'm not sure if I can justify the price (if I were going to buy it to use it). I mean, it's a lot of money, plus you might have to sign up for a data plan too, which would make it ridiculously expensive. So, despite the lines and the high price, who's gonna get one come the 29th?

Next time, please use the "Report Post" link if there is an issue with another post.

Thanks.

-KaosDG

Well obviously I want people to read my site, what an astute observation :rolleyes:

I really liked the Calamari commercial. I wonder how much money that restaurant paid to be featured in the ad.

Edit: I think I'll be in line to get one. I probably won't keep it, but hey, it should be an experience.

I want one and I want to get away from Sprint so its two fold. Will I wait in line probably not but I might see about picking it up the next day.

I'd consider it, but cingular/att's coverage in my area is piss-poor at best.

The problem is that the cell phone market is TOTALLY saturated. Unlike the iPod, which defined the market for the MP3 player beyond gagdetry.

I really like my Windows Mobile phone. Hooks into Outlook, works as a broadband modem with decent speed in an EVDO area, and has awesome voice control, though that did cost me $50, but it so cool being able to dial numbers buy saying the digits over a bluetooth headset. I'll have to see have the iPhone does in that area. I'll try to take a look at one in a few months.

i doubt there will be lines. most people are under contract. just the way it is.

Even if I wasn't under contract, the most I'd ever spend for a phone is $150, and I doubt I'll ever spend that much again (d807 was worth it!), much less the price of a freaking PS3 for it :eek:

I don't see them selling too many $500 cell phones, the market just isn't ready. Plus it's ugly (purely my opinion, but it really is...) and from what I can tell, has no tactile feedback. Good luck typing numbers without looking at that thing, seems like a pretty big road hazard for the already horrible drivers it's mainly marketed at :rolleyes:

Good luck typing numbers without looking at that thing, seems like a pretty big road hazard for the already horrible drivers it's mainly marketed at :rolleyes:

Why are you even talking on the phone while driving anyway? If you must, get a bt headset and use voice control. :cool:

I want one and would love to play with it but I will not be camping out. I can wait, even for gen 2.

Well you see, this phone is targeted to the young and "trendy" crowd. The crowd that already uses their phones on the road for texting and calling. Now, you have a 20 year old college girl texting her friends on her new iPhone driving down the road and you can already see the problem. I've ridden with too many females, I know how they drive. The good thing is most of them could text on their phone with their eyes closed, but with the iPhone, which is bound to become the new trend whore status symbol, good luck with that.

I only use my phone on the road when people call me or I need to meet someone and I'm running late. In either case, i can safely watch the road and use my phone :D

and from what I can tell, has no tactile feedback. Good luck typing numbers without looking at that thing, seems like a pretty big road hazard for the already horrible drivers it's mainly marketed at :rolleyes:

have you ever tried to type without looking on any of the treos? The full qwerty keyboards are near impossible to type one handed without looking at as well so this complaint is stupid...buttons or not you can't type on these new smart phones without looking.

have you ever tried to type without looking on any of the treos? The full qwerty keyboards are near impossible to type one handed without looking at as well so this complaint is stupid...buttons or not you can't type on these new smart phones without looking.

If you can't call someone without looking at the buttons on ANY phone (and yes, I've used a Treo before because the Cingular store actually loaned me that phone waiting on mine to come in because it was all they had) then you have problems. Don't tell me what I can't do. I'm sorry if you can't call someone without looking :rolleyes:

Just chill dude. I have many complaints about the iPhone, the touchscreen is just one of them. For instance, why no 3G? What the hell is the deal with Apple and unchangeable batteries? Why can't I put in a memory card? Phones from 2 years ago had all of those features...

Apple makes trend-whore products. That's what they're good at. Look at Macs, they always have outdated and limited hardware support. That doesn't necessarily make them bad, but the only thing the iphone has that other phones can't and don't do better is a large gimmicky touchscreen, and that's something I don't think is worth the $500-$600 price tag...

I don't intend to get one on or near launch day. Before I make my decision, I need to be aware of all the various aspects, such as durability, battery life, call quality and so on. If I deem there to be too many misses, I'm going to stick with my very old-fashioned LG.

Durability is really one of my prime concerns with the thing. I own three iPods, and keeping them in the condition I prefer for them to be in (scratchless and scuffless) is, well, difficult, and my phone gets at least 30 times as much use as any of my iPods. It's a very frightening scenario, even with the most impressive scratch-resistant coating available.

I don't intend to get one on or near launch day. Before I make my decision, I need to be aware of all the various aspects, such as durability, battery life, call quality and so on. If I deem there to be too many misses, I'm going to stick with my very old-fashioned LG.

Durability is really one of my prime concerns with the thing. I own three iPods, and keeping them in the condition I prefer for them to be in (scratchless and scuffless) is, well, difficult, and my phone gets at least 30 times as much use as any of my iPods. It's a very frightening scenario, even with the most impressive scratch-resistant coating available.

It's rated battery life is 5 hours talk time...

There will be lines / camping out - I think I'll be one of them since I don't have a cell phone yet.

If I didn't already have a Sprint Q with SERO and awesome perks (unlimited EV-DO, unlimited txt, etc), I'd go for it. It's not worth moving to Cingular for a much higher monthly bill including data and also pay more for a new phone. I'm sure the iPhone's OS will be way nicer than WM5.0 but it's too big of a cost to switch at this point.

If you can't call someone without looking at the buttons on ANY phone (and yes, I've used a Treo before because the Cingular store actually loaned me that phone waiting on mine to come in because it was all they had) then you have problems. Don't tell me what I can't do. I'm sorry if you can't call someone without looking :rolleyes:

Just chill dude. I have many complaints about the iPhone, the touchscreen is just one of them. For instance, why no 3G? What the hell is the deal with Apple and unchangeable batteries? Why can't I put in a memory card? Phones from 2 years ago had all of those features...

Apple makes trend-whore products. That's what they're good at. Look at Macs, they always have outdated and limited hardware support. That doesn't necessarily make them bad, but the only thing the iphone has that other phones can't and don't do better is a large gimmicky touchscreen, and that's something I don't think is worth the $500-$600 price tag...

To lazy to break up your post and respond to each quote.
How can you be upset at the touchscreen when you have never used it from the iPhone? It might actually be decent, maybe not. Yet you can not draw a conclusion from something that has yet to be released.

Also, my phone has 3G, but you want to know how many places in Houston I get the 3G signal? A grand total of 3, and many places where I do get it, I have one bar at the most so it is horrible. Apple made the choice that AT&Ts 3G network was not up to par yet so why put a feature in that they do not feel is fully ready?

Touchscreen is the only thing? Maybe you should actually go read up on the phone before actually responding. www.apple.com/iphone
Go read about the phone just a bit before saying it only has "touchscreen," with no other features that are different.

The vast majority of all motor accidents are caused by young males. Please don't make sweeping statements like that.

Then how about you not make such sweeping statements like "the vast majority of all motor accidents are caused by young males"

Sure, there might be a higher rate for young males...but come on, do you really think "The vast majority of all motor accidents are caused by young males". For just a simple majority, young males would have to cause 50% or more of all auto accidents. I just don't think that is correct. I don't have the stats to prove this, but does anyone think 50% or more of accidents are caused by "young males".

Perhaps a better word here would be plurality.

Here is the difference, FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority

Back