iPhone Catches Car Seat On Fire?

Wow, it looks like it was left in the sun. I bet it made a loud bang when it went off. Over all I am not surprised his phone would explode being left in the car. those batteries are not really made for those conditions of course they should be though, since that is the easiest place to leave ones phone.

I left my cell phone in the car in 101+ weather one day with the sun beating right on it. I took it out of the car and I dropped it because it was so burning hot. Afterward It wouldn't make calls because the sim card inside of the phone was warped, I had to put a few pieces of paper inside the phone so it would bend it back so it was in contact with the phone.

Direct translation from Google (Dutch to English)

That a 3G iPhone spontaneously lights is new. Until now we have only seen posts where the iPhone 3G went spontaneously melt or burn during charging. Pieter from Leiden had this afternoon, unfortunately the Dutch premiere of his iPhone 3G spontaneously started burning. His iPhone 3G was on the passenger's seat in standby mode and not the charger. By returning to his car came thick black smoke through the door to the outside and the cause was his iPhone 3G in spontaneously fire was flown. Besides a total devastated iPhone 3G Pieter has also considerable damage to his car.

Pieter has direct contact with Apple and T-Mobile USA but neither Apple nor T-Mobile still taking some responsibility. As far as we can ascertain, Apple in similar cases abroad all compensation. We hope for Peter that Apple will do that later.

Personally I think it's a hoax. Look at the ratio of the damage to the phone and the damage to the car. I think it took some intense heat to burn up that iPhone the way it did, and the car should have taken much more damage than just a hole in the seat and foam beneath it. There's no scorch mark on the backrest of the seat either.

On the other hand, the phone may not be as damage as it appears since the Belkin skin is still visible in the second photograph.

Hmmm.. Hard to say.

Yawn, apple hate.

:confused: I must be reading what you are trying to say wrong.

Is it Apple hate.....

OR

...total fanboy-ism when you can look at pictures like that and say "Apple hate."

I wouldn't care WHAT BRAND the product is, if it almost burned my car to the ground, it is newsworthy. If it is a big fat hoax...it is newsworthy.

Is it Apple hate.....

OR

...total fanboy-ism when you can look at pictures like that and say "Apple hate."

I wouldn't care WHAT BRAND the product is, if it almost burned my car to the ground, it is newsworthy. If it is a big fat hoax...it is newsworthy.

Preach on brotha man! I totally agree with you Steve, the fact that is was a Apple product is not as relevant as the fact that a electronic device caused (allegedly!) this kind of damage. I think all the Apple hate and fanboism needs to get checked in somewhere else before posting to this thread.

Looks like he is going to need some more of those little air fresheners that he has in his air vent.

Anyone catch that pack of smokes up on the dash?

Could it be a 'smoking incident' with the iPod being a sacrificial lamb blame wise?

interesting -- a car that old, I'd be willing to bet that if something were to catch fire in the car, it would continue to burn. Old couches with similar types of polyurethane foam burn up in seconds...

not really surprising

when I had my 2G phone, I went to sleep (with the phone next to me for an alarm). I woke up and the thing was RED hot... ended up having to replace it but had I not noticed it could of definitely started a fire.

My 3G has gotten pretty warm too at times, but since it's encased in plastic I think it would melt before igniting.

well you dont leave something like that on a car seat, the sun will overheat the device causing inteference of heat electric.

"This over-hyped piece of shit will self-destruct in 5...4...3..."

"Dang it, I meant to put it on Vibrate not Flambe' "

I guess hot steamy phone sex over heats the phone too.

sad part is i can see the words belkin on the cover....so i am sure that it is the fault of the case and not the phone.....because you know who would put their phone in a sleeve or case or even a pocket!

I call shens... For that seat to burn that way the Belkin skin should be dust. Guy dropped a cigarette, seat went up, and when he got all freaked out, he dropped his phone in the fire.

The phone was just trying to escape the shitty car, blame the owner not the phone.

I call shens... For that seat to burn that way the Belkin skin should be dust. Guy dropped a cigarette, seat went up, and when he got all freaked out, he dropped his phone in the fire.
It might not have totally been in flames enough to do total damage to the phone as you'd expect though. Car seats like those filled with foam and made of plastic based materials don't really flame up.. they smolder/smoke/melt. The phone [battery] could have got hot enough and ignited the upholstery & foams in the seat which smoldered all around the phone and made a bunch of smoke but not a lot of flames. That is just a theory after seeing quite a few car seats burn myself.

But anyhow, I do see how your theory fits, and the whole thing does seem a little suspicious. Still, the phone thing is very possible, especially after we've seen so many cell phone battery causing fire stories.

My car was set of fire by vandals a couple of years ago, and it was a small car too. They pulled everything out of the glovebox and armrest storage space and put it on the passenger side floorboard and piled it up and set it on fire. My neighbor woke me up to say vandals had be out and it looked like we were both hit then next morning as it was done sometime in the middle of the night.

My car looked very much like this, I had darkened windows (I had tinted windows and they were MUCH darker lol) and the fire had made about a 18" hole in the carpet, got under the dash a little and melted my seat cushion about 6" and then the fire had gone out on it's own. No air = no more fire. The fire will go until it snuffs itself out on lack of oxygen and it looks like that may have happened in the photos there. If they had left the door open it would have burned completely, but without air it is going nowhere. My seat looked a lot like this, and boy, does it STINK!

Totaled my car by the way, my neighbor only had 4-6 bottles of Gatorade pourned in the vents on the dash and all over the inside of his Accord. They hit 14 or so cars in one night, mine was the worst of the damage. Lucky me. Called into work late and they asked why, I told them they were dusting my other car for prints and I was blocked in. They said it was the best excuse ever and not to worry about it! :D

Whoah, those burns seems quite bad. Quite hard to believe that a phone would make that, but who knows.

I say its not a hoax. thats how car seats burn. They are made to not go up in flames. I would say the phone cought fire then burned the surrounding seat. I wouldnt think it actually just got hot to burn the seat.

I really wonder what the percentage of these defective units is :confused: Not like Apple will ever tell us, but considering I just got a new 3GS (it was either that or the BB Bold for our corporate email) I would hate to see it go up in smoke.....

I wouldnt worry about it. Ide say far and few. Shit happens. I bet a BB has got hot also. I have a 3g and left it on the dash on the truck today for around two hours at the lake while working on a boat . It was hot as hell but worked fine still.

Is it Apple hate.....

OR

No, it's just that every other thing you post as headlines are actually something negative about Apple. You just need to vary yourself a little more.

No, it's just that every other thing you post as headlines are actually something negative about Apple. You just need to vary yourself a little more.

Edit: Ok I was exaggerating a little bit, 5-10% of the news articles are about apple.;)

This is a PC site as far as i could tell and i been reading it from almost day one. I dont think its a hate Apple thing. Dont you know its just fun to poke at Apple when somthing has gone wrong with them. Becouse we all know they are perfect jeesh.

For anyone interested this is how LiPo batteries burn when over charged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VswaFOrVM6I

The video uses the same type of battery the iPhone (and pretty much all other phones and laptops) use. In this case they cause the fire by over charging, but physical damage and heat can also cause the reaction. As you can see the fire is quick and goes out fairly quickly. That might explain the limited area that was affected in the car.

He should feel grateful Apple gets that much instead of a total blacklisting to prevent the controversy and flaming that ensues from the fanboys of both sides.

Let's see....it's the middle of summer, he probably left the damn thing sweltering in the sun...hmmmm. :rolleyes:

And your point is? Under no circumstances should a phone begin to spontaneously combust. If you were trying to induce flames, it's one thing.. for the "sweltering sun" to set off a fire on your phone, it just tells me how great of a quality Apple's products truly are. I don't exactly hear about any BlackBerries suddenly combusting and setting cars aflame.

Edit: Ok I was exaggerating a little bit, 5-10% of the news articles are about apple.;)

That is pretty well in line with their small marketshare.
Apple is not "superior"...it electronics and it's not like Apple have screwed up before...or won't screw up again.

And...yeah...you are trying with "Ad Hominem", the trademark of a fanboy....go figure.

Back