iPhone And Apple Jumped The Shark

I think smart phones in general have jumped the shark. With LTE getting the speeds it does we don't need anything faster. The form factor of phones limits how much processor you need and we are about at that limit. We are at the limit of screen resolution and phone size is down to personal preference. The only real place for improvements is the battery life and software. There are no more obvious innovations to be had.

I think smart phones in general have jumped the shark. With LTE getting the speeds it does we don't need anything faster. The form factor of phones limits how much processor you need and we are about at that limit. We are at the limit of screen resolution and phone size is down to personal preference. The only real place for improvements is the battery life and software. There are no more obvious innovations to be had.

Is that not the point Apple was making at the iPhone5 launch? More battery life, more advanced OS, better screen pixel density. I though everything else was par for the course with technology in the current market.

The author of this article smacks of pessimist to me. Not a way to live let me tell ya.

In October, my upgrade choice may just be the iPhone. Since the choices I have at that time are the HTC One, Galaxy S3, Photon Q, and iPhone 5.

People won't be happy with any new iPhone revisions until it makes tacos and walks your dog for you.

It's a phone, what other "improvements" are they going to make? Makes calls, check. Has a camera, check. Has a screen, check.

Apple has established their brand. I think they will have "direction" struggles, but for the time-being, I wouldn't start predicting their down-fall any time soon.

What I AM curious about is this little news story about how the supply of iPhone5's was ripped through by pre-orders, such that there will be delays until when handsets hit the phone providers, and it happened so much faster than previous iPhone versions. I think (and this is unconfimred) that there was a lower number of iphone5's put out into the wild for pre-order vs. previous. But of course without raw numbers we won't know for a long time.

I don't really like Apple, but despite the lack-luster-ness of the iphone5, and the fact that they're mainly playing catch-up with the features that have been available on most handsets for months, Apple users are generally going to be Apple users for the time being. Personally, I can't stand using iOS on my ipod touch. I HATE having to go through so many sub-menus just to adjust a setting whereas on my android phone you just tap a widget and done.

Please polish your reading skills and read my post again. You are missing something.

No, I skipped the stupdity on purpose. I don't give a crap about 'when the S3 came out'. It cost less right now and still is better than the iphone 5 and still has less profit margin, so what is your point again?

16GB S3 with contract = $119 (Sprint), $149 (Verizon) $179 (ATT)
And you can get a Galaxy Nexus for $0.01 from Amazon Wireless if you sign up with Sprint. What's your point? Carriers and retailers will play their little games to get your money into a contract. Just because less money is coming out of your pocket, it does not necessarily follow that the retailer and carrier are giving Samsung less for the phone. They'd pay you to take the phone if they thought they could make it back from your contract.

So if I buy you $168 worth of ICs and raw materials, you can give me an iPhone 5 right? You're not allowed to look at the iPhone 5 for reference, use its software, or any additional equipment of your own.

I'm not going to pretend that a significant chunk of the iPhone 5's price isn't pure profit, but let's not pretend it's a magic profit = retail cost - raw materials number, shall we?

The initial allotment of iPhone 5s sold out in an hour. Apple's going to be just fine.

That is probably part of the sales strategy where they initially release a very limited stock that sells out quickly to set up the narrative of a must have high demand product.

It's funny that people seem to hold Apple to a much higher standard, and then conjecture about its decline when another year goes by where they don't revolutionize the industry.

That's because a lot of people expect nothing but the best from Apple. Apple also put themselves in that position as well with a lot of their ads, key notes, law suits, and the products themselves. Not to mention the amount of people that buy their devices simply because it's an Apple device.

I bought an Apple iPhone 4s to try last year (a month after it was released) and sold it so I could go back to my Android device. The hardware support in the aftermarket is great (talking about audio integration in 12v and home theater) but that's it. I found the hardware to be really nice but iOS to be limited which is why I went back to Android.

No, I skipped the stupdity on purpose. I don't give a crap about 'when the S3 came out'. It cost less right now and still is better than the iphone 5 and still has less profit margin, so what is your point again?

"Better" is a difficult argument to make and you're not making it with any hard facts.

It's been discussed else that the scaling Apple is doing is where the big bucks are coming from. Recycle the A# chip in multiple devices, order a gazillion pieces. Ordering so many probably allows Apple to negotiate a better price. And then Apple keeps using the same chips for a very long time. I'm surprised the 3GS didn't have mold.

Most other OEMs don't have that option.

And your point?

No business is obligated to pass on cost savings to their customers (except post-Obamacare insurance companies). If Apple can make a competing device for less and sell it for the same price, good for them.

"jumping the shark" doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
Agreed.

It's one thing to be out of ideas, it's another thing to be out of ideas and do something completely ridiculous because of it.

I think he has a point, been actually happening for the last few years for the iPhone (not iPad).

But that is Apple's M.O., and they are successful at it. Limiting models with their OS, extending production times for each model, which lowers costs and increases profits.

I think Apple is here to stay obviously... they won't ever decline to PC market shares. But I don't see a huge change in market share anytime soon.

Though a part of Apple's success is their branding/marketing, and that state rarely can be continued forever. Like Nike popularity will go down, but they will still be huge player in the market for many years.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Win8, personally I think it will never catch on, since it is sooo late to the party and the software markets are moving to platform agnostic solutions(activesync for e-mail, corporate support for non-managed/owned devices), reducing the only benefit MS will have, platform uniformity. But I am not an expert and would not be completely shocked if MS succeeds.

Its not just a phone you troglodyte, its a pocket computer.

A Droid device perhaps. An iphone...mmmm - no.

little-tikes-ipad-toy-range-3.jpg

So if I buy you $168 worth of ICs and raw materials, you can give me an iPhone 5 right?

No, not right. Besides, the article said the cost to make an iphone 5 was $168. I imagine the total of all component prices used would be considerably less.

I'm not going to pretend that a significant chunk of the iPhone 5's price isn't pure profit, but let's not pretend it's a magic profit = retail cost - raw materials number, shall we?

I don't recall anyone making such a claim, it sounds like you are trying to imply someone did make that claim so you can craft a line of response to shoot it down.

Weak,

I owned the original iphone (2007) and a 3G. After the incremental upgrade that was the 3GS -- I saw where they were going ultimately.

The reality is that Apple could have repackaged the existing iphone 4S, put a new backing or logo on it, and people would still rejoice.

What I'm really waiting for is for all the iTards to start claiming how Apple was the original innovator and a magical genius of a company to think up having a 4" screen paired with LTE. I can give credit where credit is due - retina display is cool and all that but it's not enough to make me give up my open platform that doesn't have the ghost of steve jobs blocking me at every turn from doing what I want.

People always bitch about how fragmented the android platform is -- so what? Compare communist countries with open free democracies. Just because you are 100% closed and have one man telling you how to live doesn't make things better all the time. By all measures the US is pretty damn fractured when it comes to ideas and an overall direction or will of its population.

You will never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator - apple has amassed a fortune because they figured out how to make people pay crap tons of money for the same thing year after year. If I knew how to do that too I'd be rich.

I wouldn't be surprised that eventually Apple will just roll out some balls crazy "iTax" thing such that instead of having to wait to spend ass tons of money every year to feel cool and smart, you can pay ass tons of money throughout the ENTIRE year to keep that feeling going.

My brother in law has the iphone 4. Whenever I use his phone (rarely), I feel like an AOL user on a Packard Bell. He gets quite or dismissive after using my Nexus. :cool:

I grin to myself...

I owned the original iphone (2007) and a 3G. After the incremental upgrade that was the 3GS -- I saw where they were going ultimately.

The reality is that Apple could have repackaged the existing iphone 4S, put a new backing or logo on it, and people would still rejoice.

What I'm really waiting for is for all the iTards to start claiming how Apple was the original innovator and a magical genius of a company to think up having a 4" screen paired with LTE. I can give credit where credit is due - retina display is cool and all that but it's not enough to make me give up my open platform that doesn't have the ghost of steve jobs blocking me at every turn from doing what I want.

People always bitch about how fragmented the android platform is -- so what? Compare communist countries with open free democracies. Just because you are 100% closed and have one man telling you how to live doesn't make things better all the time. By all measures the US is pretty damn fractured when it comes to ideas and an overall direction or will of its population.

You will never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator - apple has amassed a fortune because they figured out how to make people pay crap tons of money for the same thing year after year. If I knew how to do that too I'd be rich.

I wouldn't be surprised that eventually Apple will just roll out some balls crazy "iTax" thing such that instead of having to wait to spend ass tons of money every year to feel cool and smart, you can pay ass tons of money throughout the ENTIRE year to keep that feeling going.

..And that's why the U.S is in the hole. :cool:

That is probably part of the sales strategy where they initially release a very limited stock that sells out quickly to set up the narrative of a must have high demand product.
There is no business, economics, or marketing class dumb enough to say that is a "sales strategy" because it's something only a dumbfuck company would do, and not one worth over $650 billion that's led by a CEO who's specialty is supply chain management. When you have a high-priced item in extreme demand, you don't intentionally hold back supply on release just for the sake of one marketing line.

When you have a high-priced item in extreme demand, you don't intentionally hold back supply on release just for the sake of one marketing line.

Just tell that to Ferrari or Lamborghini...

Now, if the supply chain genius CEO could not figure out how many phones he would need to fill pre-orders and initial release, based on past history, he is not a genius. Therefore, he is pulling a fast one, in effect making himself a con-man.

iPhone vs Android is a funny topic, Reminds me of Mechanical vs Everything else in the keyboard world it turns into such a heated debate just like what you like it's not that hard.

I think they both have Pros and Cons you can never keep everyone happy all the time good thing we all have choices and opinions on what we like. That being said Apple is most definitely not going anywhere anytime soon.

Something that a lot of people who don't need help with problems forget is Apple is running 12 years consecutive as #1 Consumer Technical Support doesn't matter what you think about their products when they have that type of backing for their customers it goes a looooooooooooooong way for repeat customers.

Now, if the supply chain genius CEO could not figure out how many phones he would need to fill pre-orders and initial release, based on past history, he is not a genius. Therefore, he is pulling a fast one, in effect making himself a con-man.
All retail companies do their research based on previous sales to estimate the amount of products to make and not even a team of geniuses are going to know exactly how much demand there is going to be at launch. Of course if you think this is blatant deception then every company whose products have had shortages should be taken to court because they couldn't figure out supply and demand.

I feel like when it comes down to it, they both pretty much offer the same things and I'd rather give my money to an American company (that I also own stock in :D)

This is a certainly only when production capacity is unlimited, and when production speed is zero. Because that's not the case, the alternative scenario is that they made X number of phones because that's what they could make before the launch. Hell, it's not even clear how many iPhones had been fully assembled by the time it was announced. Maybe only a handful of production units.

You would deny the possibility that they're fulfilling more preorders than they did for the 4S simply because the number of units has not been published. That's like saying it's raining before looking outside.

No, not right. Besides, the article said the cost to make an iphone 5 was $168. I imagine the total of all component prices used would be considerably less.
Then you didn't read your own article.

I don't recall anyone making such a claim, it sounds like you are trying to imply someone did make that claim so you can craft a line of response to shoot it down.
You made that claim. Right here:

The cheapest iphone5 costs $168 to make but it sells for $649.
And to defend that statement you posted an article with an estimated bill of materials for the iPhone 5. Not a single dollar for R&D or manufacturing.

Its not just a phone you troglodyte, its a pocket computer.

Please do learn how to spell before you try to insult someone's intelligence.

It's, not its. You are using a contraction, it's = it is.

I don't care if you think it is pocket computer, it doesn't change the fact that it is pathetic to stay up all night for one.

There is no business, economics, or marketing class dumb enough to say that is a "sales strategy" because it's something only a dumbfuck company would do, and not one worth over $650 billion that's led by a CEO who's specialty is supply chain management. When you have a high-priced item in extreme demand, you don't intentionally hold back supply on release just for the sake of one marketing line.

*Taps Shoulder*

Uh Hi, Jordan brand would like a word with you regarding how they market/release their Retro shoes :cool:

Then you didn't read your own article.

You made that claim. Right here:

And to defend that statement you posted an article with an estimated bill of materials for the iPhone 5. Not a single dollar for R&D or manufacturing.

Are you really that stupid? The cost estimate to make it is broken down HERE, as referred to by that article, and includes the sum of the parts cost plus the additional items such as assembly/packaging/etc...

http://www.ubmtechinsights.com/uplo.../iPhone_5_Teardown/iPhone5-BOM-comparison.JPG

I am also sure the R&D was minimal, since all of the parts almost directly copy other phones that already has the same components equiped (Samsung and Apple phones included). In fact, the only non-cosmetic parts design the I5 uses that is not already used in some other phones is the Apple A6 processor, since it is the first phone CPU apple itself actually had a part in specifying the design of.

Geez...why do I even bother. (that was not a question)

Or what for the newest movie release...

Seriously, its a hobby, whats the big deal?

Nothing is the big deal to me. I don't think it is pathetic to stay up all night if you really want to preorder the phone, or anything else. I was merely answering the guys question with a statement that might relate more to him or others on this board.

Back