iPhone Air ( iPhone 6 ) September

Status
Not open for further replies.
If consumers are widely disappointed with iPhones in that respect — or any other — they simply aren't expressing that with the phones they're buying.

I'm sorry, but there's a significant amount of Apple users/buyers out there that have no idea why they buy it, other than it's all they know of or it's what everyone else has.

Case in point.

I work with a know a lot of people that get an iPhone only because of how popular it is. Not particularly because they're "sheep", but because they don't care enough to compare it to anything else and figure it has to be a nice phone given it's market share.

Last edited:
People choose the iPhone (and the Galaxy S, for that matter) partly because it's a reliable choice from a recognizable name. It's not necessarily the best for certain purposes, but it's rarely bad. And that's fine, so long as Apple keeps moving forward at a decent pace.

Something important to remember is that many of these people simply don't have the time or inclination to research their phone purchases. People like us treat smartphones as the center of the universe, but there are many people for whom it takes a backseat to their jobs or hobbies. For every fan talking up the virtues of mobile OS A or B, there's a doctor who may only have 30 minutes to buy a phone on her lunch break, or an amateur artist who's much more interested in choosing paints than phone platforms. Just because you aren't technically inclined doesn't mean you're stupid. Apple caters to this crowd well by giving them something easy to understand and relatable; for all of Samsung's gimmickry, it's doing a good enough job of that, too.

People choose the iPhone (and the Galaxy S, for that matter) partly because it's a reliable choice from a recognizable name. It's not necessarily the best for certain purposes, but it's rarely bad. And that's fine, so long as Apple keeps moving forward at a decent pace.

Something important to remember is that many of these people simply don't have the time or inclination to research their phone purchases. People like us treat smartphones as the center of the universe, but there are many people for whom it takes a backseat to their jobs or hobbies. For every fan talking up the virtues of mobile OS A or B, there's a doctor who may only have 30 minutes to buy a phone on her lunch break, or an amateur artist who's much more interested in choosing paints than phone platforms. Just because you aren't technically inclined doesn't mean you're stupid. Apple caters to this crowd well by giving them something easy to understand and relatable; for all of Samsung's gimmickry, it's doing a good enough job of that, too.

Good comment, spot on. Most "rugluar" people can give two sh!ts about phone specs, and have no idea what he word 'ROM' means, or Jailbreak, etc...

Very successful people I know, just get a new phone once every 2 or even 3 years, and stick with it, and move on with life. People that could easily afford a brand new phone ever single month if they wanted, but don't. They just don't care.

The rumors and supposed leaks are starting to make sense now. The smaller iPhone 6 will continue with 1GB of RAM. The larger version will include 2GB. Calling it now. Get my McRib ready.

It's the McRib...LOL. The only "burger" I regret eating as I'm licking my fingers. I'm complaining now, but when it returns I'll be back in line at feeding trough.

Seriously, can anyone pass up a McRib that one time it comes around every two years?!?

Well Apple will finally get my money on the phone side. Been looking to upgrade my Note 2 and my wifes S3. It doesn't get much better than a 5.5" Iphone with IOS 8. Can't believe they are actually opening up IOS to widgets and stuff after all this time. I'll get the big boy, and my wife will get the 4.7". Probably sell my Ipad Air and get the new version of that as well. Buying the new Macbook Pro Retina that comes out in the fall as too. Looks like our household will have gone from zero Apple products in early 2013, to almost all Apple in late 2014. Never would have thought that....

^if you are investing that heavily in Apple's ecosystem, it probably makes sense to get an AppleTv as well.

Well Apple will finally get my money on the phone side. Been looking to upgrade my Note 2 and my wifes S3. It doesn't get much better than a 5.5" Iphone with IOS 8. Can't believe they are actually opening up IOS to widgets and stuff after all this time. I'll get the big boy, and my wife will get the 4.7". Probably sell my Ipad Air and get the new version of that as well. Buying the new Macbook Pro Retina that comes out in the fall as well. Looks like our household will have gone from zero Apple products in early 2013, to almost all Apple in late 2014. Never would have thought that....

The new iPhone's will still just be a screen full of app icons unfortunately :rolleyes: That new Widget stuff in iOS8 is just for the Notification shade only.

If the large 5.5" iPhone really has no major iOS changes, and is just more app icons, I will LOL :p What a waste of screen real estate if Apple doesn't make changes to go along with a nice large screen.

The new iPhone's will still just be a screen full of app icons unfortunately :rolleyes: That new Widget stuff in iOS8 is just for the Notification shade only.

If the large 5.5" iPhone really has no major iOS changes, and is just more app icons, I will LOL :p What a waste of screen real estate if Apple doesn't make changes to go along with a nice large screen.

I, personally, don't see the advantage of having widgets on the home screen, opposed to the notification center unless you enjoy staring at your desktop/springboard. The notification center seems like a more efficient way to implement it to be honest. Not only can you view them from the lock screen, but also from within applications without having to exit them, with a flick of your finger and they dont clutter the springboard

Further... Since they're not always 'on' (or displayed) it really has no major effect on battery life and data usage

I'm more psyched about having a larger screen for games and web browsing than anything.

People will wander why it took so long for Apple to allow widgets. I'll present OS X as evidence that Apple doesn't care much for widgets. Dashboard has been around for years, but it's treated somewhat like "it's a feature (yaaaawwwwn)".

Dashboard used to be presented like something you want on your desktop. In Mavericks dashboard is put on its own desktop. It's almost like some people at Apple don't care about widgets. Out of sight out of mind.

More leaked photos may show Apple’s fully assembled iPhone 6
http://bgr.com/2014/06/11/iphone-6-photos-leak-gold/

LOL at those huge front bezels :rolleyes: That look is so last decade :p

I used to agree that Apple had some great designs, really beautiful phones, but man this iPhone 6 if real, is nothing spectacular whatsoever, actually looks pretty outdated and ugly.

I used to agree that Apple had some great designs, really beautiful phones, but man this iPhone 6 if real, is nothing spectacular whatsoever, actually looks pretty outdated and ugly.

Yeah those leaked photos don't even look "designed". Just looks like they made a bigger iPhone with a iPod style case. Pretty disappointing if that it what they go with, I like the current hard edge design better. I am going to buy it regardless, but it should look better than those leaks/mock ups are showing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't lean on the mockups for your expectations too much. Assuming it's accurate in the first place, it's pretty clear that these are rough around the edges; I'd expect some proper trim on the top and bottom, for one thing. It also strikes me as odd that none of the mockups I've seen so far have a True Tone flash, which you'd expect to carry over to the next model (unless the camera itself can tackle color balance issues with flash).

If it turns out to look like that... Honestly, it would look dated and just bad.

I wouldn't lean on the mockups for your expectations too much. Assuming it's accurate in the first place, it's pretty clear that these are rough around the edges; I'd expect some proper trim on the top and bottom, for one thing. It also strikes me as odd that none of the mockups I've seen so far have a True Tone flash, which you'd expect to carry over to the next model (unless the camera itself can tackle color balance issues with flash).

I don't know, I think these will probably be pretty accurate in the end.

Look at the past with Apple leaks, the iPhone 5 was leaked all over the net the Summer before it's official release, and those leaks were like 75% correct, and as far as the shape and design of the phone, the iPhone 5 leaks were nearly spot on, months before the iPhone 5 was on sale.

And the iPhone 4, lost in the bar deal, that phone was leaked pretty good too, before it was officially released.

My point is, it seems everyone knows the design of the next iPhone a few months before Apple reveals it.

Look at the past with Apple leaks, the iPhone 5 was leaked all over the net the Summer before it's official release, and those leaks were like 75% correct, and as far as the shape and design of the phone, the iPhone 5 leaks were nearly spot on, months before the iPhone 5 was on sale.

And the iPhone 4, lost in the bar deal, that phone was leaked pretty good too, before it was officially released.

My point is, it seems everyone knows the design of the next iPhone a few months before Apple reveals it.

I would hope Apple play some mind games, otherwise this new design is just pure ugly and worse than S5

Well, here's one reason to be cautious:

This is supposedly closer to the final iPhone 6 design.

It's fairly subtle, but it seems to ditch the big side bezels (or at least, fill things out with more screen). I'm still wondering when we'll see a really, truly completed iPhone 6, though. History suggests that Apple starts mass production a couple of months before it's ready to ship, so it could be some weeks (if there's a subsequent leak) before we know just what we'll get in the box.

Now I wonder about the 6S. Apple's typical S-model use a near same design. And I don't think many Android users would be going back to something with that kind of enormous top and bottom bezel. If anything, it'll probably drive more folks to Android if not Windows Phone...

Well, here's one reason to be cautious:

This is supposedly closer to the final iPhone 6 design.

It's fairly subtle, but it seems to ditch the big side bezels (or at least, fill things out with more screen). I'm still wondering when we'll see a really, truly completed iPhone 6, though. History suggests that Apple starts mass production a couple of months before it's ready to ship, so it could be some weeks (if there's a subsequent leak) before we know just what we'll get in the box.

I agree that the bezels on the top and bottom have to be reduced and the home button has to be made smaller.
Otherwise it will just look very tall. Here's hoping Apple is smarter than that.

But creating a rectangular button would give it a Samsung look.

I agree that the bezels on the top and bottom have to be reduced and the home button has to be made smaller.
Otherwise it will just look very tall. Here's hoping Apple is smarter than that.

But creating a rectangular button would give it a Samsung look.

If this is the final true design of the iPhone 6, with those HUGE top and bottom bezels, I will laugh so hard :rolleyes: Only iSheep will buy it. And I bet Apple does keep this leaked design, they will say those bezels are a Apple hallmark and design signature of the iPhone.

Let's see it compared to other Android phones with that same screen size, 4.7", which would be the Moto X, Nexus 4, and Galaxy Nexus, I bet all three of those phones will look more compact, and have a smaller footprint in the hand over the iPhone 6, and those phones are a year or two old already, and the iPhone 6 is supposed to be cutting edge next gen technology, but will be a bigger phone.

IMO Apple should look at what LG did with their new G3, huge screen, and smallest bezels, the G3 5.5" phones feels the same size as 5" phones. Imagine a 4.7" screen with the G3 design, that could be a very compact and easy to hold phone, Apple should be going that route, but they won't.

Leaked iPhone 6 is 138x67 mm

Other 4.7" Android phones;

Galaxy Nexus = 135.5 x 67.9
Nexus 4 = 133.9 x 68.7
Moto X = 129.3 x 65.3

LOL at Apple :rolleyes: Their brand new 4.7" iPhone 6 will be larger than 4.7" Android phones that came out three years ago. Look at the size of the Moto X, that came out one year ago, very nice compact size for a 4.7" screen, and is much smaller than the iPhone 6 leaked dimensions, Apple is supposed to be the design genius and artists, they should make the iPhone 6 even smaller than the Moto X, not be 10% larger.

Last edited:
Earlier you complained about Apple making their phones too thin, on the grounds that it impacts their ability to leverage large batteries. You're now complaining that Apple is making their phones larger than its competitors in one or more dimensions, despite the fact that the larger enclosure affords them the opportunity to leverage...larger batteries.

Earlier you complained about Apple making their phones too thin, on the grounds that it impacts their ability to leverage large batteries. You're now complaining that Apple is making their phones larger than its competitors in one or more dimensions, despite the fact that the larger enclosure affords them the opportunity to leverage...larger batteries.

Thinness is the last feature I ever think about for a smartphone, I could care less how thin a smartphone is, rather it be thicker to allow for larger battery. I prefer BBW's to skeleton sickly thin girls :p

But overall footprint dimensions, the size overall in the hand makes a big difference to me. And there is no reason the 4.7" iPhone 6 should be larger overall, than the old 4.7" Galaxy Nexus from 2011 three years ago. Apple should be making the iPhone 6 more compact than the Moto X, not 10% bigger.

With the iPhone 6 rumored to be a 6mm wafer thin, and even with a larger screen, I have no idea how they'll be able to fit a much larger battery in there ?

The top bezel is kind of big but the bottom is probably there to stay. I like the big home button and since there's a finger print reader in it I would like it big to easily read my fingerprint so I dont have to slide my thumb down on it like the S5 because that one sucks. I also dont think apple will change it since it seems to be the same size across all their products gotta keep the consistency.

Also the galaxy nexus had no physical home button and lets be honest 2.5mm longer not going to kill you considering how long the Note series are and the new S5. But then again I guess you would call me an iSheep because I buy all the iPhones.

And there is no reason the 4.7" iPhone 6 should be larger overall, than the old 4.7" Galaxy Nexus from 2011 three years ago.
Galaxy Nexus: 135.5 x 67.9 x 8.9 mm = 81,884 cubic millimeters
Rumored 4.7" iPhone 6: 138 x 67 x 6 mm = 55,476 cubic millimeters

The rumored iPhone 6 is 2/3 the overall size of the Galaxy Nexus.

But overall footprint dimensions, the size overall in the hand makes a big difference to me. And there is no reason the 4.7" iPhone 6 should be larger overall, than the old 4.7" Galaxy Nexus from 2011 three years ago. Apple should be making the iPhone 6 more compact than the Moto X, not 10% bigger.

With the iPhone 6 rumored to be a 6mm wafer thin, and even with a larger screen, I have no idea how they'll be able to fit a much larger battery in there ?

Apple just couldn't make the overall footprint tinier than the Moto X, I think... Touch ID, anyone? Unless it could work with a considerably smaller fingerprint map, Touch ID needs a minimum bottom bezel area.

As for batteries: thickness doesn't matter as much as overall surface area, in my experience. And there's a lot more surface area to work with here!

Not sure if serious or just completely oblivious to the point....

I'll go ahead and help you out here. We are talking about the height, often times people associate height with size, even if it's not exactly correct. 138mm is larger than 135.5mm.

And here I've been thinking that the "overall size" of a basketball is greater than a single spaghetti strand. Oops!

Last edited:

Seriously :rolleyes: wow

Thinness does not factor in for what I consider in the hand feel, and does not compute to overall size feel factor, and you know that. Don't be a smarty pants and get all technical with us.:p

I am talking taller and wider, that is VERY noticeable in the hand. If a phone is taller, or is wider, you will feel and see that, but if it is thinner, uh no, I couldn't even tell a difference, and wouldn't matter if the phone was thicker, but would matter if the phone was taller or wider for sure.

Come on, Zorachus, the obvious 4.7" phone comparison is the HTC One M7 or M8 Mini. At least HTC has good speakers in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back