iPhone 8: Separate Wireless Charger, No Headphone Jack Adapter Included

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an unprecedented move, Apple has decided to give one of its upcoming iPhone models wireless charging capabilities—but be prepared to pay additional premiums, as the feature will only be available on the top model and require an additional accessory since the technology may not be built in. The company has also decided to stop including the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter, since nobody uses wired headsets anymore…

…only the OLED model will adopt glass casing and wireless charging capabilities, contradicting a Nikkei report and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's repeated claims that all 2017 iPhones will feature an all-glass design and wireless charging. The blog previously said the more iterative "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" models will lack wireless charging and retain the now-familiar aluminum design that Apple has used since the iPhone 6 lineup in 2014. Apple supplier Catcher Technology also said it expects only one new iPhone model to have glass casing. The loosely-translated report suggests the wireless charging will not be a built-in feature, but rather a separate accessory based on technology from Luxshare, a Chinese company that has been rumored to be a supplier of wireless charging coils for the inductive Apple Watch charger in the past.

It's hard to hack a wired headset. But a iPhone with wireless headset? I googled that and they can via bluetooth on Androids. I guess that Apple wasn't thinking ahead clearly.

They're really going to double down on the lack of a headphone jack by not including a $.50 adapter? The only logical reasoning for not including that is so they can charge you for it as an accessory (probably $10+). Remove common features and then charge you to get them back. Is that what they've resorted to?

They're really going to double down on the lack of a headphone jack by not including a $.50 adapter? The only logical reasoning for not including that is so they can charge you for it as an accessory (probably $10+). Remove common features and then charge you to get them back. Is that what they've resorted to?

$10? Ha! If I know Apple, the price will be closer to $40.

No headphone jack? No upgrade for me and my kids. We are sticking with the 6's.

Apple keeps coming up with reasons to push me away from the iPhone.

Android phones aren't coming up with reasons to pull me towards Android.

Reactions: raz-0
like this
I like how everyone assumes this article is gospel and raging at Apple already. No one has NFI what the new iPhones will be yet, let alone what comes in the dam box!

It is nothing more than a clickbait article, as you would expect from HardOCP. How about you post some factual news for a change or just stick to whoring delidding and VR performance articles...

I like how everyone assumes this article is gospel and raging at Apple already. No one has NFI what the new iPhones will be yet, let alone what comes in the dam box!

It is nothing more than a clickbait article, as you would expect from HardOCP. How about you post some factual news for a change or just stick to whoring delidding and VR performance articles...

What really gets me is almost all of the fluff pieces are about the 8....if they stay true to pattern there will be a 7S first with its own incremental changes.

How dare Apple rumor to do this! These rumors are out of control! I refuse to buy this in 2 years when it releases!

Apple needs to release a one size fits all iDongle. It'll be the size of the phone itself, but accessorizing will never be an issue again.

What would be a strange turn of events, considering they sell it for $9.00 right now.

Most useful review from their own website:

Is not compatible with in-line microphones
This is not a solution to Apple's removal of the headphone jack for people who use wired headphones with in-line microphones to make phone calls. Massive disappointment, Apple thoroughly misled on this product's ability to retain the functionality that they removed from the iPhone with the launch of the 7.

Just for kicks, if they get rid of the lighting port they could make a more water proof phone. However, what about the accessories that require the lighting port? (I'm actually scratching my head as to what these are - most use BlueTooth).
Hmm. We will find out in late August or September. Until then, these are all just rumors.
Have sales of the iPhone 7 line been affected by the lack of a headphone jack? They just had a record quarter and I believe they sold more iPhones than any other quarter (although this quarter also included an extra week of sales so that did pump up the numbers a bit).
I have an iPhone 7 and miss the headphone jack. I only have one pair of lighting headphones - the few times I've needed them I haven't had them with me. I lost my adapter already (it's likely on my desk, my that is a scary place).

Just for kicks, if they get rid of the lighting port they could make a more water proof phone. However, what about the accessories that require the lighting port? (I'm actually scratching my head as to what these are - most use BlueTooth).
Hmm. We will find out in late August or September. Until then, these are all just rumors.
Have sales of the iPhone 7 line been affected by the lack of a headphone jack? They just had a record quarter and I believe they sold more iPhones than any other quarter (although this quarter also included an extra week of sales so that did pump up the numbers a bit).
I have an iPhone 7 and miss the headphone jack. I only have one pair of lighting headphones - the few times I've needed them I haven't had them with me. I lost my adapter already (it's likely on my desk, my that is a scary place).

CarPlay relies on physical connection

Wireless charging is not a replacement for a physical connection, it kills batteries.

newer CarPlay receivers now support wireless CarPlay

Back