iPhone 8 May Start at $1,200

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Speculation is mounting that Apple’s next premium iPhone could cost as much as $1,500. Some believe that this could prove doubly beneficial to the fruit company, as the higher price would cool demand, allowing them to take more risks and include more features and parts that might be hard to include if they needed to make hundreds of millions of the same iPhone. The new handset, which may be dubbed the “iPhone Pro,” is expected to feature an OLED screen and a variant with a mirror-like finish.

The latest round of iPhone price speculation was spurred by the writer and podcaster John Gruber, who had predicted that the gold version of the first Apple Watch would cost $9,999 or more — and when it came out, it did. Gruber just did a similar post about iPhone pricing for the new iPhone expected this fall. His takeaway: "$1,500 as a starting price is probably way too high. But I think $1,200 is quite likely as the starting price, with the high-end model at $1,300 or $1,400." Gruber's logic is sound, and although he's known to be close with Phil Schiller, Apple's marketing senior vice president, he says he has no inside Apple information on the pricing.

Nope. The iPhone 7+ and new iPad is enough. Looking forward to an Apple Watch that can make calls without the phone on the go.

Last edited:
That sounds like suicide... Something about money over/ under 1000 ..maybe its just crazy me I don't know.

That sounds like suicide... Something about money over/ under 1000 ..maybe its just crazy me I don't know.

Any device over $1000 must make me money i.e. cameras, laptops. Any modern cellphone can do that, so it's not an option for me.
The new iPad with iOS11 is so much more for the money, it's basically a touch screen Macbook.

7-800 is about my cut off for a phone and that's pushing it. 1200-1500 is just crazy. It's a phone and now days they all do pretty well. I have a google pixel and I'll keep it till it won't hold a charge any more. I was looking at getting a iphone 8 for my wife but not if it's this much.

Well. We already have 'premium' laptops as a thing now. My guess is Apple's just taking the next logical step and will start pushing the boundary to see what the market will bear for a 'premium' phone.

We live in an age of 'premium' items. $1500 phones. $1200 laptops (with pretty thin specs). $60k vehicles. I should start charging for "premium" ass kickings and see who takes me up on that.

I bet they will still sell since most people buy these phones through their carrier on lease/installment plans. What's another $20 (or longer payment term) on top of your existing (typical) $30-$40 phone payment? :rolleyes:

If carriers didn't provide these payment plans, then I guarantee you Apple (and subsequently Samsung, LG, etc.) wouldn't sell nearly as much of these $700+ phones, let alone a $1200 phone.

Sadly, raising the price won't lower demand, it will increase it. Welcome to bizarro world everyone, we've finally made it.

So the current entry level iPhone 7 is $649.

Apple is going to double the price?
Doubtful.

7-800 is about my cut off for a phone and that's pushing it. 1200-1500 is just crazy. It's a phone and now days they all do pretty well. I have a google pixel and I'll keep it till it won't hold a charge any more. I was looking at getting a iphone 8 for my wife but not if it's this much.

I got a new Pixel and it was the most I have ever spent on a phone, but I have been Google only phones for a while now outside of work supplied iPhones. $1K+ is just a no go for me, unless there is something life changing about it. Even though I LOVE the Pixel, having just picked up a Moto G5 Plus for my parents and getting to mess with it, it's really all I need, the camera is not as good (but not deal breaker bad by any means), however considering unlocked, case and screen protector and tax it was under $350 and it accepts SD cards, pretty sure my next phone will be mid range like that, and not highend, which is what I liked about the Google phones, they were all mid or upper mid phones, now they seem to have gone highend.

So the current entry level iPhone 7 is $649.

Apple is going to double the price?
Doubtful.

I am thinking highend, no way thats base. I am thinking possible Pro model, and 256GB etc etc at $1,200, but "starting at"? No way in hell.

Here is the thing that some don't understand. That isn't really that bad of a price unless you are one of those people that insists on a new phone every year or two for whatever dumb reason. Sure upgrading that often in the early days of smart phones where there were large leaps every generation made sense. It no longer makes sense. This applies to both android and Apple.

That said I do not have any use for an iPhone. I use android for obvious reasons. However I would gladly pay that price for a high end android handset that was unlocked, had a replaceable battery, SD slot and wasn't a damn tablet or plastic pos. I however keep my phone for 4+ years at this point because unless it is a meaningful upgrade there is no reason to.

Here is the thing that some don't understand. That isn't really that bad of a price unless you are one of those people that insists on a new phone every year or two for whatever dumb reason. Sure upgrading that often in the early days of smart phones where there were large leaps every generation made sense. It no longer makes sense. This applies to both android and Apple.

That said I do not have any use for an iPhone. I use android for obvious reasons. However I would gladly pay that price for a high end android handset that was unlocked, had a replaceable battery, SD slot and wasn't a damn tablet or plastic pos. I however keep my phone for 4+ years at this point because unless it is a meaningful upgrade there is no reason to.

Obvious reasons, like what? Malware? :B

I often wonder why is it people need SD cards when you already have 256GB of storage on your phone. Also, replaceable battery? If you really need a week of battery, just get a power brick, problem solved. I usually charge my phone every night as after a full day of use, when I get home, it still has about 20% battery left.

Getting back to the 1200$ price point: if you can't innovate, at least make it pretty and shiny!

Raising the price to curb demand? :shifty:

It's exactly what they did with the Macbook Pro.

They're giving everyone else the finger. Pay us more to get your ass reamed!

What do people expect, that all these "free" services at the Apple store, and five years of validated software updates don't cost money? You can't expect Apple to let their margins fall now, would you, so prices go-up.

Last edited:

I often wonder why is it people need SD cards when you already have 256GB of storage on your phone. Also, replaceable battery? If you really need a week of battery, just get a power brick, problem solved. I usually charge my phone every night as after a full day of use, when I get home, it still has about 20% battery left.

Getting back to the 1200$ price point: if you can't innovate, at least make it pretty and shiny!

Regarding the battery thing, for me the replaceable battery is essential not because I drain it, but because it's an obvious point of failure. The battery will wear out, and I tend to keep my phones for 3-5 years. Buying a phone with a non-replaceable battery to me sounds like buying a car with soldered on tires.

It's exactly what they did with the Macbook Pro.

They're giving everyone else the finger. Pay us more to get your ass reamed!

It just makes for crappy value, but I'm sure a lot of people won't see it that way. Even if it gets put out of reach of some of the up-front cash buyers, I imagine quite a few people will fork over the extra money per-month to finance this thing.

Regarding the battery thing, for me the replaceable battery is essential not because I drain it, but because it's an obvious point of failure. The battery will wear out, and I tend to keep my phones for 3-5 years. Buying a phone with a non-replaceable battery to me sounds like buying a car with soldered on tires.

If you take care of your battery, it should last you at least 3 years given that it isn't tiny and requires a ton of charge cycles.

Malware isn't an issue, at least if you aren't retarded and downloading shady shit off non authorized app stores. I'm sorry the average user is an idiot when it comes to technology, but that isn't technologies fault. The obvious reasons are I control my phone, not Apple or Google or Verizon. I run a fully modded and customized os, something that cannot be done on Apple.

It isn't about needing a week of battery although current life is pretty damn shitty. It's a matter of longevity. The average cell battery starts losing life after 12-15 months. Once you hit about 28 months most of them are damn near worthless. Sorry but not being able to swap in a new battery isn't acceptable to me. As I mentioned, I'm not replacing my entire phone after just two years unless there is good reason. Shitty battery life isn't a good reason, that is piss poor anti-consumer design and frankly it's inexcusable.

If you take care of your battery, it should last you at least 3 years given that it isn't tiny and requires a ton of charge cycles.

That is just empirically untrue.

I think high end phones should go down in price.. but I guess that is no so much what's happening as much as middle and low end phones keep getting better and better, so yeah, I guess all in all smartphones are getting cheaper, you just need to look elsewhere as already posted... So go for it Apple, iPhone 8 UP Edition.. as in Ultra Profit... Can't blame then, they just make more billions.

Not according to my experience. I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for 2 1/2 years and the battery still holds 96% of it's designed capacity, and I drain it to at least 50% daily on average. I understand this doesn't represent all users, but as an example it's perfectly valid.

Malware isn't an issue, at least if you aren't retarded and downloading shady shit off non authorized app stores. I'm sorry the average user is an idiot when it comes to technology, but that isn't technologies fault. The obvious reasons are I control my phone, not Apple or Google or Verizon. I run a fully modded and customized os, something that cannot be done on Apple.

It isn't about needing a week of battery although current life is pretty damn shitty. It's a matter of longevity. The average cell battery starts losing life after 12-15 months. Once you hit about 28 months most of them are damn near worthless. Sorry but not being able to swap in a new battery isn't acceptable to me. As I mentioned, I'm not replacing my entire phone after just two years unless there is good reason. Shitty battery life isn't a good reason, that is piss poor anti-consumer design and frankly it's inexcusable.

I agree about the battery... That is deliberate choice of planned obsolecense... Why would anyone view it as acceptable is beyond me, I mean living with it I guess but defend it, is just amazing.

Not according to my experience. I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for 2 1/2 years and the battery still holds 96% of it's designed capacity, and I drain it to at least 50% daily on average. I understand this doesn't represent all users, but as an example it's perfectly valid.
And yet, you could have it so you open it with your fingers and put a new one.. one thing doesn't preclude the other... Battery can be replaceable AND 2 years old... Imagine! Ohhhh ahhhh

The reason I used the word "empirically" is because statistics show your experience is the exception not the rule.

And yet, you could have it so you open it with your fingers and put a new one.. one thing doesn't preclude the other... Battery can be replaceable AND 2 years old... Imagine! Ohhhh ahhhh

While you have a valid argument, you don't need to patronize me to get your point across. There are obvious design advantages to making a battery non-removable, but since most people here seem to be all aboard the "it's a business gimmick" train, I'm not going to bother defending it.

I often wonder why is it people need SD cards when you already have 256GB of storage on your phone.
Ooh, ooh, I'll answer this one! "Because I'm not willing to pay an extra $1 per GB when I can get the same capacity for half the price by using a micro SD card!" Or... "Because I don't need all that extra space now, but I might want more room later."

I am thinking highend, no way thats base. I am thinking possible Pro model, and 256GB etc etc at $1,200, but "starting at"? No way in hell.
Starts at $1200. I'm not sure anyone can afford that.

Plus this is all just rumors that BI dug up from an end user who might know someone who shit in the same toilet as someone important at Apple.
The pricing is ludicrous, unless they've pioneered something killer that people will NEED.

I've had the SD card for years, why pay more for internal storage? RIP removable batteries, I don't think a single flagship phone since the LG V20 has removable batteries. And tbh, after the G4, LG is on my shitlist for 5 years at least.

Starts at $1200. I'm not sure anyone can afford that.

Plus this is all just rumors that BI dug up from an end user who might know someone who shit in the same toilet as someone important at Apple.
The pricing is ludicrous, unless they've pioneered something killer that people will NEED.

They did pioneer something people will NEED.

The iPhone 8.

/s

This is the elites way of telling you that the financial crash is near and things will cost twice what they do now :sneaky::cautious::hungover:

Aren't they releasing the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus just slightly earlier than the iPhone 8? I believe the 7s and 7s Plus are going to still be priced to suit the "mainstream" market segments while it's also rumored that the iPhone 8 will be called "iPhone Pro" apparently.

Well... I hope whatever happens a headphone jack will be re-introduced LMAO, I'll probably be stick with my iPhone 6 if not. I just had my battery replaced so I'll be good for a couple years more. XD

if this is indeed true they will also release an iphone 8c for the poor peoples.

Back