iPhone 8 and iPhone X Don't Support T-Mobile’s New $8 Billion LTE Network

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple's latest iPhones are not compatible with the carrier’s new extended LTE network, which utilizes the 600MHz spectrum and provides better coverage in buildings and rural areas throughout the US. The capability is hardware based, so support cannot be added through a mere software upgrade.

Apple's tech specs for both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X don't show support for the Band 71 needed to access the network, and a T-Mobile representative confirmed Friday in a tweet that the 600MHz spectrum won't be supported by the new phones. That's significant news for T-Mobile customers planning to buy one of Apple's latest iPhones. While T-Mobile's existing LTE network will continue to be accessible on the new iPhones, the devices won't have access to the extended coverage that T-Mobile is betting will help it compete with AT&T and Verizon in less urban areas.

Apple doesn't give a shit about the majority of America. They only care about rich folk living in the city.

Er, what? This band is really best for rich people living in a city. Lower frequencies penetrate better. In rural areas, it's much less of an issue.

But in any case, this is not surprising. You need to have the frequency band support baked in the chips/radios/firmware long in advance of the phone launch. It was not ready in time for the new iphone. There's no plot here.

Quote: "But it's worth noting that Apple isn't the only phone maker to miss out on T-Mobile's new network, which just started rolling out in parts of the US last month and won't be fully available to the entire country until 2020. No phones technically support the 600MHz spectrum yet, although T-Mobile has said that phones from Samsung and LG will be supported by the fourth quarter of 2017."

There will be at least 2 more iPhone versions before this network is across the country. No sense in adding support for a network that barely exists anywhere yet.

Last edited:
Er, what? This band is really best for rich people living in a city. Lower frequencies penetrate better. In rural areas, it's much less of an issue.

But in any case, this is not surprising. You need to have the frequency band support baked in the chips/radios/firmware long in advance of the phone launch. It was not ready in time for the new iphone. There's no plot here.
Its also not the only phone (or even phone yet to release) that won't support it. But its Apple, so its huge news that they didn't support a network that wasn't around when they finished making their phones.

Apple's latest iPhones are not compatible with the carrier’s new extended LTE network, which utilizes the 600MHz spectrum and provides better coverage in buildings and rural areas throughout the US. The capability is hardware based, so support cannot be added through a mere software upgrade.

Apple's tech specs for both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X don't show support for the Band 71 needed to access the network, and a T-Mobile representative confirmed Friday in a tweet that the 600MHz spectrum won't be supported by the new phones. That's significant news for T-Mobile customers planning to buy one of Apple's latest iPhones. While T-Mobile's existing LTE network will continue to be accessible on the new iPhones, the devices won't have access to the extended coverage that T-Mobile is betting will help it compete with AT&T and Verizon in less urban areas.
I believe the LG v30 is the only current smart phone that supports the new band.

Quote: "But it's worth noting that Apple isn't the only phone maker to miss out on T-Mobile's new network, which just started rolling out in parts of the US last month and won't be fully available to the entire country until 2020. No phones technically support the 600MHz spectrum yet, although T-Mobile has said that phones from Samsung and LG will be supported by the fourth quarter of 2017."

There will be at least 2 more iPhone versions before this network is across the country. No sense in adding support for a network that barely exists anywhere yet.

I agree, that would be far too much like helping a phone be relevant longer than a year. In order to keep up their image they have to be sure not to future proof anything, it's rather imperative. Smart move Apple, saved your hide there! *Plays with new LG V30*

And Apple make the only phone that doesn’t support this low frequency band? The story here is an Intel one, not an Apple one. Ask them why their latest chipset does not support it... I know, it’s dangerously close to actual journalism.

Bunch of technophobe fogeys and Samsung apologists posting on this click bait site these days. You need to rain them in a bit Kyle, it makes you all look as stupid as your obviously uninformed Apple click bait headlines.

This great site is sullied by this continuous posting of obviously click bait headlines. It does not need it, it looks damn unprofessional and amateur, and not fitting of a site with the history and talent of its regular staff. You should instead be proud to be above this gutter level schoolboy stuff.

Last edited:
Well that makes it 100% I wont upgrade this year. Hopefully the next one they bring the support and the under the screen fingerprint sensor.

And Apple make the only phone that doesn’t support this low frequency band?

Bunch of technophobe fogeys and Samsung apologists posting on this click bait site these days. You need to rain them in a bit Kyle, it makes you all look as stupid as your obviously uninformed Apple click bait headlines.

This great site is sullied by this continuous click bating. It does not need it, it look unprofessional and amateur.

The story here is an Intel one, not an Apple one. Ask them why their latest chipset does not support it... I know, it’s dangerously close to actual journalism.

The butthurt is strong with this one for some reason...

The LG V30 looks to be the only phone that supports the new network for now and continues to be my top choice for a new smartphone this year. Some mid-range Samsung phones will probably support it in a few months, but no one really cares about those around here.

The butthurt is strong with this one for some reason...

The LG V30 looks to be the only phone that supports the new network for now and continues to be my top choice for a new smartphone this year. Some mid-range Samsung phones will probably support it in a few months, but no one really cares about those around here.

Because I give a shit for this site and its reputation.

The rest of your post proves my point.

If this was Tmobile 700MHz band 12, that would be surprising.

Not supporting the 600 MHz band that Tmobile only had around for less than a year..... Not that much....

And Apple make the only phone that doesn’t support this low frequency band? The story here is an Intel one, not an Apple one. Ask them why their latest chipset does not support it... I know, it’s dangerously close to actual journalism.

This great site is sullied by this continuous posting of obviously click bait headlines. It does not need it, it looks damn unprofessional and amateur, and not fitting of a site with the history and talent of its regular staff. You should instead be proud to be above this gutter level schoolboy stuff.

It's rein (as in pull the horse by the reins), not rain, but word nazi-ism aside, many sites post things which are controversial to allow their followers to have a discussion. It doesn't mean they support the point in the article.

If you don't care about this story, just carry on.

This is a bummer, but to be fair, many competing devices don't support it either.

Rumor also has it that Pixel 2 doesn't support band 71 either, which is particularly groanworthy considering how many of these they sell on their Fi network, which is based - in large part - on T-Mobiles network.

The new iPhones are meh, but the number of posters in this thread who've managed not to grasp the fact that this 'Apple fail' applies to Samsung, Google, HTC, Lenovo, Motorola, LG and literally every other maker is simply fascinating.

There is currently no phone that supports T-Mobile's new spectrum and even the upcoming interesting phones (LG v30 and Pixel 2) don't.

So T-Mobile users simply need to wait.

Apple doesn't give a shit about the majority of America. They only care about rich folk living in the city.
That's funny. I see so many presumably low income people with the hottest new iPhone. They may not have clean clothes or food for their children. Really.

Lower frequencies also travel much father, making it equal interest to those in rural areas.

V30 will be the first, as has been said already in this thread. Personally waiting on the G7, as it will also support the frequency. Kind sad to see the S8 didn't support it, as previous rumors said it would.

As much i love their phones and cant wait to get my hands on the iphone X, this really frickin pissed me off. I love T-mobile and everything about them but god damn, going to have to wait for the next iphone to take advantage of this.

iPhone users locked into the Apple ecosystem by their very nature must upgrade to whatever is newer better and more expensive, so there is plenty of time to expand out the network before 600MHz is a must have issue.

As a shareholder, I applaud your spending habits. :D

Wow, first it turns out they won't be supporting USB 3.2 which will be announced before the X even hits the shelves, and now it won't be compatible with this other as yet to be released standard. This is it, Apple is through. Bernie still has a chance.

As much i love their phones and cant wait to get my hands on the iphone X, this really frickin pissed me off. I love T-mobile and everything about them but god damn, going to have to wait for the next iphone to take advantage of this.

Why does this seem unexpected?

"T-Mobile announced Aug 16th 2017 it has begun lighting up its new 600 MHz LTE network — leveraging the massive haul of super-premium low-band spectrum won in the government broadcast incentive auction concluded earlier this year. The announcement comes only two months after the Un-carrier received its spectrum licenses from the FCC. T-Mobile’s first 600 MHz LTE network sites — the very first in the world — were just switched on in Cheyenne, Wyoming using Nokia equipment".

It's a brand new frequency that no one has used before, and they did it one month before the iPhone came out. Apple didn't make the transciever chip inside the phone. And there has to be a real business reason for a semiconductor to make a chip. Your talking AT BEST, Apple would have had a 3 month heads up before releasing the iPhone to market. These things take time.

What were they thinking about !!!
Not a big enough market to worry about, I suspect. T-Mobile is in 3rd or 4th place and the network barely exists. I suspect if AT&T had done it, the bands would have been added, because of their much larger customer base...ditto for VZ. Probably not for Sprint. I guess it's also possible that it came too late for Apple to add/QA it.

Whatever the reason, next year it'll likely be there.

Why does this seem unexpected?

"T-Mobile announced Aug 16th 2017 it has begun lighting up its new 600 MHz LTE network — leveraging the massive haul of super-premium low-band spectrum won in the government broadcast incentive auction concluded earlier this year. The announcement comes only two months after the Un-carrier received its spectrum licenses from the FCC. T-Mobile’s first 600 MHz LTE network sites — the very first in the world — were just switched on in Cheyenne, Wyoming using Nokia equipment".

It's a brand new frequency that no one has used before, and they did it one month before the iPhone came out. Apple didn't make the transciever chip inside the phone. And there has to be a real business reason for a semiconductor to make a chip. Your talking AT BEST, Apple would have had a 3 month heads up before releasing the iPhone to market. These things take time.
While that's true (and I think you're probably right), it's also true that T-Mobile knew about this a year ago (if not 2) and they've likely been testing it for months. They could have worked with device MFGs to get them on board, but who knows. I can easily see Apple deciding that this represents sucha small part of the market between now and the next launch that they can hold off a year.

This is completely offbase, with SOME basis in truth. I'll explain: Yes, low band frequency penetrates buildings better. Know what else it does? Covers long distances between towers. The 600Mhz rollout is for lower (relative) speed, over further distances and better penetration. It's not for "rich people in cities", it's also for people in Southwest Cousinfuck Nebraska who spend their time jerking milk out of cows.

As for the frequency support: The support is there. It's been there. Apple has a history of not supporting bands until it's actually rolled out and has been for a while. The 5 didn't do LTE on T-Mo. The 6 didn't do band 12. The 7 didn't do band 66, and the 8 doesn't do 66 or 71. This is just Apple being apple.

And for those that might be interested in the V30 pay close attention to the fine print, so to speak:

The specific model of the V30 that will work on T-Mobile's Band 71 600 MHz LTE network is not the model of the V30 that T-Mobile will even be selling. That model is the US998, aka the US Cellular model which does come factory unlocked for GSM operation with other carriers - the T-Mobile model of the V30 is more than likely going to be H93x but it remains to be seen as that one hasn't been assigned a model number as of yet that I can track down.

It's entirely possible that T-Mobile might use the same model number (US998) but that's never happened before and the always get the devices from LG and prefix the actual number part of the model with the H so, we'll see what happens.

BUT... it appears there's some question about whether or not this entire announcement of this device will support band 71 at all so this entire post of mine could be back-asswards totally fucking wrong to begin with, guess we'll find out soon enough.

Kinda odd that T-Mobile won't be - that I/we know of - the very device they're talking about having support for their own new network capabilities, eh? :D

It's entirely possible that T-Mobile might use the same model number (US998) but that's never happened before and the always get the devices from LG and prefix the actual number part of the model with the H so, we'll see what happens.

BUT... it appears there's some question about whether or not this entire announcement of this device will support band 71 at all so this entire post of mine could be back-asswards totally fucking wrong to begin with, guess we'll find out soon enough.

T-Mobile's official Twitter stated that LTE band 71 is available on the carrier unlocked version of V30 while the T-mobile customer service doesn't know if htat's the case. The situation with US998 could well be a case where band 71 can be flashed onto unlocked US998.

T-Mobile's official Twitter stated that LTE band 71 is available on the carrier unlocked version of V30 while the T-mobile customer service doesn't know if htat's the case. The situation with US998 could well be a case where band 71 can be flashed onto unlocked US998.

But as far as carrier locking and unlocking is concerned that has nothing to do with the firmware that can be flashed/cross-flashed so, that's another can of worms entirely. And it more than likely will mean the V30 from T-Mobile - whichever model number it is - could have a bootloader that is locked and not unlockable which is something new for T-Mobile nowadays. I just had a V10 that from the factory had an unlockable bootloader until they released the Android 7.0 Nougat at which point they updated the actual bootloader code on the device and made it non-unlockable and permanently locked (at least so far that we know of). Someone at XDA did realize this and put out the Nougat update without the bootloader update and miraculously it still works fine using a Marshmallow bootloader and the Nougat ROM.

But no flashing of firmware is going to address carrier unlocking the device, they don't work that way even though we all wish it was that easy. ;)

This is completely offbase, with SOME basis in truth. I'll explain: Yes, low band frequency penetrates buildings better. Know what else it does? Covers long distances between towers. The 600Mhz rollout is for lower (relative) speed, over further distances and better penetration. It's not for "rich people in cities", it's also for people in Southwest Cousinfuck Nebraska who spend their time jerking milk out of cows.

As for the frequency support: The support is there. It's been there. Apple has a history of not supporting bands until it's actually rolled out and has been for a while. The 5 didn't do LTE on T-Mo. The 6 didn't do band 12. The 7 didn't do band 66, and the 8 doesn't do 66 or 71. This is just Apple being apple.

I'm glad my comment passed your "some basis in truth" mark.

The main issue in rural america is not range on towers that exist, it is the lack of a tower anywhere near at all. For this band to have a benefit, someone would have to be just outside the range of a current tower, but within the range of the new frequency range. That is going to be a very small number of people, to put it mildly. They still cannot serve significant people with the extended range, so if they didn't build out before, I assure you they still aren't.

On the other hand, there are very large numbers of people in urban areas inside buildings, where the penetration helps. Thus, it will help orders of magnitude more people in urban areas than rural. No, it is not ONLY for rich people in cities. But it will certainly help a lot more of them more significantly.

Last edited:
Back