iPhone 7 Has 'Sold More Sluggishly Than Expected'

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to reports out of Japan, Apple is planning on cutting back production of the iPhone 7 due to sluggish demand.

Citing data from Apple suppliers, Japanese newspaper Nikkei reported on Friday that "sluggish sales" of the iPhone 7 lineup have come in softer than Apple expected. Somewhat confusingly, the report said that Apple plans to cut production of both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. But it also notes that Apple has not been able to meet demand for the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus due to a shortage of camera sensors, noting that the jumbo-sized handset "remains popular."

As someone that uses an iPhone, I have to say the iPhone 7 was pretty damn boring. I had an iPhone 6 prior. Quick summary: faster processor, better GPU, better camera, faster finger print scanner, loss of headphone jack (which sucks). Oh yeah, my battery life is a little worse than I was getting on my 6 - I'd guess up to 2 hours difference (didn't measure anything - but if I don't do a mid-day charge on my iPhone 7, I will be at 10-15% battery when I go to bed. My 6 was probably 30-40% battery most days.
It's not just the new iPhone's - I personally find all cell phones boring lately. I think they've hit a wall and we will only see modest gains going forward.

There's very little to motivate most users (no matter the OS) to upgrade. Better camera? Similar battery life? Facebook opens 1/4 second faster? The choice of dropping an additional $100 or having less storage to push us toward the cloud? Mobile tech has plateaued for the moment.

Outside of planned obsolescence, there aren't many good reasons to buy something new. Especially with phones no longer being subsidized via contracts. The days of getting a flagship new device for 1/2 price are over.

If the battery life wasn't slowly dying I could probably keep using my Moto X Pure for the foreseeable future. If I was still on iOS, I'd probably be more than happy with a 6.

I'll never buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack. That's all.

^^

Silly design choice, it's not just about headphones because it takes away potential for people to hook it up wherever they go like gyms, cars, etc. Not everywhere is bluetooth enabled and it raises some security concerns.

Aside from that, yea there's nothing really separating new phones from the last generation aside from maybe better cameras. IMO they should focus more on wireless charging and battery life because those are the convenience things that might make people more inclined to upgrade.

Cell phone development hasnt hit a wall as much as just simply leveled off to a flat road with no turns just going forwarda. There isn't anything really rewarding about new phones over old ones. Standard spec upgrades dont do enough.

Apple just didn't do anything special between a 6 and a 7. They look the same. They act the same. A standard person being handed one randomly and asked if it's a 6s or a 7 will only be able to tell because of the jack missing. But use them and they look the same.

People want new but they don't know what they want that's different from what they have. The next company that can figure that out will make a boat load of cash.

There's very little to motivate most users (no matter the OS) to upgrade. Better camera? Similar battery life? Facebook opens 1/4 second faster? The choice of dropping an additional $100 or having less storage to push us toward the cloud? Mobile tech has plateaued for the moment.

Outside of planned obsolescence, there aren't many good reasons to buy something new. Especially with phones no longer being subsidized via contracts. The days of getting a flagship new device for 1/2 price are over.

If the battery life wasn't slowly dying I could probably keep using my Moto X Pure for the foreseeable future. If I was still on iOS, I'd probably be more than happy with a 6.
In your own post, you found the reason why 2 year subsidized contracts are dead. Now, carriers know you have no choice but to upgrade after your phone's internal battery tanks. Fast charging FTW. It's not as if a little heat has ever damaged a battery.

Well, technically, there exists the choice of taking apart the phone and replacing a battery pack. Luckily, soldered-in battery packs are here to rescue us poor consumers from having to do so!

Company leadership is probably scratching it's head. For everyone else on the planet, it's pretty obvious.
It's not just the Iphone, but the Macbook Pro, and the whole company is sliding downwards.
They aren't giving people what they want, and they have some obsession with taking things away like headphone jacks, magsafe, hdmi, sd card, usb, etc.

There's always "reasons", which they try to sell people on, and some people agree, and some don't.
Thinness has reached retarded levels of diminishing return, and battery power on the new mb is apparently not that great, so you take away all the stuff people need, make them use "dongles", and for what?

To me, the reasons are usually just to be "trendy", or just a way for Apple to claim the 'we did it first' crown, or to call it "innovative".

Yet other companies have managed to build really nice machines without dumping everything.

I have a 6s plus 128G and will likely get whatever oled based phone they put out next. I already made the jump to wireless headphones. It wasn't that hard.

As a dedicated android user who is currently extremely frustrated with Androids offerings, I considered the iPhone 6 a step in the right direction. Continued development in that direction with little change on the horizon for Android would possibly have encouraged me to switch. While I like being able to have total control of my phone, it isn't absolutely mandatory either and nothing is preventing me from making my tablet my primary experimental platform. However design choices on the iPhone 7 reinforced how anti-consumer Apple is when it comes to their products and ended any chance of me buying one in the future unless such design choices are reversed.

I have a 6S+. I wouldn't buy a 7 due to the lack of a headphone jack. Also, why on earth would you put both stereo speakers on the bottom. This fail blows my mind. Should have a speaker on each end for landscape viewing with sterio sound.

Couldn't agree more. Not just phones, but advances in consumer tech is simply underwhelming nowadays. It has become incredibly hard to justify new purchases over existing stuff from a real need PoV.

I have a 6S+. I wouldn't buy a 7 due to the lack of a headphone jack. Also, why on earth would you put both stereo speakers on the bottom. This fail blows my mind. Should have a speaker on each end for landscape viewing with sterio sound.

this guy...

acting like people actually use iphones for things like videos and not selfies and facebooking.

you're hilarious.

I'll never buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack. That's all.
It comes with a dongle. Cuz dongles are an Apple thing now.

I'm not much of an audiophile, I got the iPhone 7 and I just use the Lightning EarPods it came with. They are ok for me, and I am anticipating bluetooth earplugs in my future. My gripe is the home button requires actual skin contact to work, so like pressing with a fingernail doesn't work, and my workout armband, which was for my 6s, doesn't let me press home either. I apparently need a special type just for the 7. Ugh.

I suspected these phones weren't moving fast when Verizon had TWO separate promotions to switch from a 6s to a 7 free (if you went from 64gb to 32gb, sigh). I ended up going with the 128GB in matte black. It's sexy as heck but yeah the home button is dopey. Otherwise, uh, more or less the 6s experience but I guess more fasterer?

The iPhone 8 will be 25% more expensive to counter the volume loss. The CFO^H^HEO will stick to his strategy.

Apple lost tablets, then they lost PCs and now they are losing phones.

The iPhone 8 will be 25% more expensive to counter the volume loss. The CFO^H^HEO will stick to his strategy.

Apple lost tablets, then they lost PCs and now they are losing phones.
I am not so sure, if the contract stuff is really pretty much gone.. the price signal now is clearer.. we should be drops in prices in general, and if Apple chooses to remain highest by a margin that is too big they might start suffering.

Yet the stock price is up up and away. Guess Wall Street didn't read the article.

As long as price hikes works they make more money.

If you think it's as simple as that, sure. Nothing else to see for you.

I haven't put any cash down on Apple stock. I have been reading the doom and gloom articles (snippets) day after day of how the Apple will fail. Week after week it goes up. Just interesting as how they are fundamentally opposed.

I haven't put any cash down on Apple stock. I have been reading the doom and gloom articles (snippets) day after day of how the Apple will fail. Week after week it goes up. Just interesting as how they are fundamentally opposed.

In 2015 the stock hit 132, now its at 115. The current top for the stock this year was in October at 118.

So you must look at some different "weeks after weeks" than me.

I think the 'failure' people refer to is in failure as in IBM's 'failure'.
No doubt Apple is headed to be cornerstone of IT, but that doesn't mean it will always be a high-profit, agile company, able to sell you on their hardware formulas, or even their 'ecosystem'.. you can be a cornerstone of IT, and a dinosaur in some ways at the same time.
Apples so-called "strong" 'ecosystem' is plenty threatened too.

I had a note2 for a billion years and was basically given a note 4. I would still be 100% happy with the note2.

My phones main uses are:
1. a clock
2. text
3. internet
4. a phone

Having a 12k screen and 19 cores doesn't help my experience at all. Phones are all the same shit now, pick which os you want.

In 2015 the stock hit 132, now its at 115. The current top for the stock this year was in October at 118.

You are 100% correct. I am looking at different dates. I'm looking at the dates after the iPhone 7 release date. The dates that are relevant to this thread.

By the fact you went back to 2015, means you don't understand. That's fine, but don't try and make a point that's completely irrelevant.

Hi All

Don't understand why this is surprising. Anyone that has a iPhone that was purchased 2 years or less really has no compelling reason to upgrade.

Hi All

Don't understand why this is surprising. Anyone that has a iPhone that was purchased 2 years or less really has no compelling reason to upgrade.

People would have cared more about new iPhones if there was a serious push for iOS first-party games from Apple that actually utilized the monstrous SoCs they spent billions developing. Talk about a huge and obvious miss opportunity here.

I had a note2 for a billion years and was basically given a note 4. I would still be 100% happy with the note2.

My phones main uses are:
1. a clock
2. text
3. internet
4. a phone

Having a 12k screen and 19 cores doesn't help my experience at all. Phones are all the same shit now, pick which os you want.

And for others they are so much more...
Media center remote (to supplicant the physical remote) - Harmony
To manage and browse media on Kodi while movies are playing - Yatse
Driving directions / traffic / current toll rates - Google Maps/Navi and WSDOT apps/site
VPN - OpenVPN
Remote Desktop for Windows - RD Client
SSH for home and work stuff - JuiceSSH
Home Depot app constant for house projects, makes it so easy to make shopping lists along with info of exact aisle and location in the store
Work email - Nine
Music - Spotify and Play music players for headphones and bluetooth in car
Chat - Hangouts and Slack and Skype for Business (Formerly Lync, Formerly Communicator, thank you Msft)
Password management - Keepass/Lastpass

And that's just what I use daily-weekly there are so many more I use less frequently including Drive, various shopping apps, ODB Bluetooth apps, Thermostat and other home control app, news apps, etc etc etc etc...

So yeah FINALLY having usable amounts of RAM, excellent screens, and battery life that is leaps and bounds better than even 1-2 year old devices still sells new hardware. Where do we go from here, I'm not sure, but with several genuinely GOOD devices out now this sure reminds me a lot of the first mobile i3 processors putting a beat down on the mobile core 2 duos. Finally did things just click.

We finally had decent RAM support in regular old consumer laptops, finally had processors that were actually not just decent for a mobile device, but genuinely Good. And many of those devices that were not cheap crap survived the test of time and lasted several years longer than the disposable constantly requiring replacements for new tech era of the years immediately before it. This is where I hope phones go. We finally have devices I can see wanting to keep for more than a year or so. Finally have devices that are genuinely good and I hope that continues with increments in tech without bringing things backward. And with it I hope it brings longer and better software support as well. Less worrying about nailing the next new device, but actually supporting the ones you have.

Or maybe he just has the courage to look at that as going up a negative amount.

This is not amazing. Considering the fact that the iPhone 7 was offered "free" with 2 year contract with a trade in of the previous iPhone. Apple has *never* done that before... it pretty much showed that Apple was trying to increase sales at launch.

You are 100% correct. I am looking at different dates. I'm looking at the dates after the iPhone 7 release date. The dates that are relevant to this thread.

By the fact you went back to 2015, means you don't understand. That's fine, but don't try and make a point that's completely irrelevant.

The iPhone 7 was released on september 16. Stock price that day was 114.92. Today its 115.82 and its been as low as 105.71 in the period.

In your own post, you found the reason why 2 year subsidized contracts are dead. Now, carriers know you have no choice but to upgrade after your phone's internal battery tanks. Fast charging FTW. It's not as if a little heat has ever damaged a battery.

I actually have a love/hate relationship with fast charging. It's great when you happen to have one of those special FC adapters handy. I can get 30% of my battery back in 10-15 minutes.
Yet if you don't, normal chargers might as well not even work. In in the car, the normal UBS charger barely gives my phone enough juice to negate what it's spending. Ditto with my PC and any older adapters I still happen to have. I don't like to lug along a special adapter at all times. Plus with so many USB's out there (installed for the purpose of charging), it's a major frustration that they borderline don't charge FC phones at all.

I actually have a love/hate relationship with fast charging. It's great when you happen to have one of those special FC adapters handy. I can get 30% of my battery back in 10-15 minutes.
Yet if you don't, normal chargers might as well not even work. In in the car, the normal UBS charger barely gives my phone enough juice to negate what it's spending. Ditto with my PC and any older adapters I still happen to have. I don't like to lug along a special adapter at all times. Plus with so many USB's out there (installed for the purpose of charging), it's a major frustration that they borderline don't charge FC phones at all.
Car charger should give you more than nothing.. It depends on the amp rating of course, but super important, the cable you are using. I have 2a charger (I think that's plenty common) but I had a normal usb cable, fairly long... you won't get a charge barely if anything at all.. you need to buy a USB cable specified with larger gauge in the charge wires.. I think 'regular' USB cables are 28ga, so look for something like 28/21 (data/power) something like that. Look up rampov in amazon for example.

Back