iPhone 6+ vs. iPad Mini Retina

Tyler-Durden

2[H]4U
I just picked up an iPad Mini Retina and really like it. However, I've got an iPhone 6+ on order and I'm reading a lot about people ditching their iPads for the 6+. Anyone here on [H] have a 6+ and iPad? Do you find the iPad somewhat irrelevant after owning your 6+? Or, do you find good use for both devices?

Thanks for any comments!

Yup. I even typed an entire essay on the iphone. Impressive machinery. It is truly a straight forward pocket computer.

What I use an iPad for is media and internet browsing. I was thoroughly impressed with how much more enjoyable of an experience those activities were on the 6+ over other iPhone models. If I had a mini I might ditch it but I still reach for my iPad air for certain things over a phone.

Yup. I even typed an entire essay on the iphone. Impressive machinery. It is truly a straight forward pocket computer.

I honestly dont see how anyone could type a paper on a touchscreen device. That sounds like a nightmare

You could also take a shit lying down, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm really torn because the more I use my iPad the more I like it. Like Saint001, it's my primary device for media and internet. Reading is so much more pleasant than on my 5s. My 6+ still is back ordered, which doesn't help the decision-making process.

Megalith... your comment baffles and fascinates me. :p

Last edited:
I used only my Note 4 for two weeks, so I think you can get by without the ipad mini. All giant phone jokes aside, the 6+ like my Note 4, is still pretty small if you compare it to a mini.

I used only my Note 4 for two weeks, so I think you can get by without the ipad mini. All giant phone jokes aside, the 6+ like my Note 4, is still pretty small if you compare it to a mini.
There's quite the size difference, to be sure.

Last edited:
I've certainly found myself using my iPad less. Mind, I have a 3rd generation model so it is also showing its age too. Honestly, the 6+ is so much faster and more convenient that the iPad is relegated mostly to Netflix, and that's rare. When out and about, if I want something larger than the phone I bring my MBP to be frank. It's not all that much more to carry than the iPad (as I have a keyboard case with mine) and is far more capable. And, if I want I can even tether the phone to it if WiFi is unavailable. So, yeah, in my case my iPad has kind of been languishing away especially after getting the 6+.

My situation changed dramatically, yesterday, in that my rMBP 13" died a painful and untimely death. My little nephew dumped his juice box onto the keyboard and fried the whole machine. Not a happy scene, nor one covered by AppleCare, but cursing out a six-year old ain't in my DNA.

So, I'm now sans laptop. I'm not going to buy a new one immediately. I want to see what new revisions are expected for 2015 and when they may be released. Until a new laptop is in my hands, this iPad is going to have to be my mobile computing platform.

Finally got my iPhone 6+, so let the comparison begin! After 24 hours, I can tell I'd use the phone a lot more, but I'm not quite ready to dump the iPad, yet.

Back