iPhone 5S with new 64-bit A7 processor and M7 co-processor

using the fingerprint scanner to authenticate purchases on itunes sounds convenient. i like the idea of the fingerprint scanner. hopefully it's quick and efficient (e.g. you don't have to rest your finger on it for several seconds to unlock).

The only reason i'll be getting a 5S is to upgrade to LTE over my iPhone 4. I'm not happy with this incarnation.. I may try to stick it out until the next iPhone is released. Hoping that they give us a screen with an aspect ratio that people will actually want.

I am excited about the IOS7 coming out next week for my iPad mini though.

Overall I think Tim Cook is ruining Apple one "Innovation" at a time :(

Apple's hype is that it's a "desktop class" CPU, but leaves out the year of its performance class is about a decade ago. ;)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/apple-unveils-64-bit-iphone-5s/

It'll be interesting to see which areas the 31% performance boost Apple claims come from in the new CPU, and whether legacy apps see anywhere near that amount of improvement.

And it's very likely not taking advantage of any of the real reasons x64 exists.

Stock's taking a hit now too lol.

I don't get the iPhone 5C, other than it potentially being offered "free" with contract.

The only reason i'll be getting a 5S is to upgrade to LTE over my iPhone 4. I'm not happy with this incarnation.. I may try to stick it out until the next iPhone is released. Hoping that they give us a screen with an aspect ratio that people will actually want.

I am excited about the IOS7 coming out next week for my iPad mini though.

Overall I think Tim Cook is ruining Apple one "Innovation" at a time :(

Aspect Ratio is 16:9...kinda surprised people still haven't figured that out by now

How long did it take for applications to take advantage of 64-bit on PCs? Apple is just starting the process, so after a couple of years, all their devices will be 64-bit capable.

I don't get the iPhone 5C, other than it potentially being offered "free" with contract.

yeah i'd rather a discounted iPhone 5. i can see the 5C being a popular choice for parents to give to their teenagers.

I'm betting they couldn't reduce the cost to get the iPhone 5 profitable at $99 on contract for them (or the carriers). So they remove the metal from the construction and change some internals, and voila! Low cost replacement that the iPhone 5 couldn't be.

I don't know if it's Apple that's become boring lately or smartphones in general having become boring, but...yikes.

I really find it very hard to get excited about either of these products. The iPhone 5S is kind of neat because it eschews the Home icon on the button, but that's such a minor thing it's hardly worth remarking upon.

I applaud Apple's forward-thinking regarding 64-bit OS, hardware, and apps. But this is an area I'm not very familiar with. Are other platforms already 64-bit-friendly? Or might they be? (I mean in the phone/tablet/mobile area--general consumer, not some fringe thing)

Regardless, as forward-thinking as it is, I am curious when we'll actually see the benefit of (much less need) 64-bit environments on mobile devices.

All the other stuff--their new hardware platform in the 5s, introduction of the 5c (which, I think in markets that already has the regular iphone, is just going to cannibalize their normal device sales), and iOS 7--still don't know how innovative or revolutionary much of it is.

Last edited:
I applaud Apple's forward-thinking regarding 64-bit OS, hardware, and apps. But this is an area I'm not very familiar with. Are other platforms already 64-bit-friendly? Or might they be? (I mean in the phone/tablet/mobile area--general consumer, not some fringe thing)

It is a nice architectural improvement and should help with security and stability short term but the overwhelming amount of software running on iOS for years to come with be 32 bit simply because there will be so many 32 bit devices to support. Not exactly a hallmark technical achievement, 64 bit ARM isn't new and it won't have much of an immediate impact and it will a while before phones will really be able to leverage fully 64 bit CPUs but the day is coming so it's nice to at least get started.

Regardless, as forward-thinking as it is, I am curious when we'll actually see the benefit of (much less need) 64-bit environments on mobile devices.
Part of the 64-bit story is memory addressability, where it's interesting on higher-end notebooks, desktops, servers and workstations, and the other part — in more practical terms — is performance. Performance still matters a lot on mobile, so anything that can improve performance is a notable thing.

It's still an incredibly expensive device compared with the zillions of Android phones available. The iPhone 5C is a much nicer than cheap Android phones, but that's still a huge factor in buying.

5c should have been less expensive. Should have killed the 4S and the 5 in one fell swoop. Should have been free on contract or sold unlocked at $299. 5c was Apple's chance to start reeling in the prepaid market and the developing world, instead they just made the iPhone 5 cheaper and pocketed the savings instead of leveraging the price gap.

Terrible wasted opportunity. 5s is basically what I was expecting, minus a 128GB configuration.

Hoping for some good news at Apple's iPad event in October, because this left me seriously disappointed.

Not exactly sure what the point of the 5c was... colors? really? Better off getting a 5 and calling it a day.

The 5s might enough to feed apple fans for the next little bit, but the fact of the matter is, it's as good as no upgrade at all. Android is going to run all over them now...

5c should have been less expensive. Should have killed the 4S and the 5 in one fell swoop. Should have been free on contract or sold unlocked at $299. 5c was Apple's chance to start reeling in the prepaid market and the developing world, instead they just made the iPhone 5 cheaper and pocketed the savings instead of leveraging the price gap.

Terrible wasted opportunity. 5s is basically what I was expecting, minus a 128GB configuration.

Hoping for some good news at Apple's iPad event in October, because this left me seriously disappointed.
Why would Apple price devices that are very close to the performance of their flagship units at virtually free (well, with the cost of a contract)? It would cannibalize their normal devices. That's bad business sense. This way, they can retain their normal users (though I suspect some cannibalization will occur), but perhaps go after the market that is currently getting ~$99 android (or other) devices with contract. It's filling in their product line to appease the demand (since they can't rest on their Apple laurels anymore, it seems).

Why would Apple price devices that are very close to the performance of their flagship units at virtually free (well, with the cost of a contract)? It would cannibalize their normal devices. That's bad business sense. This way, they can retain their normal users (though I suspect some cannibalization will occur), but perhaps go after the market that is currently getting ~$99 android (or other) devices with contract. It's filling in their product line to appease the demand (since they can't rest on their Apple laurels anymore, it seems).

Because the contract is dying anyway. It's not the way people outside of the US, Japan or industrialized Europe usually buy their phones, and it's drifting out of favor even in those countries as people realize that being beholden to a carrier for hundreds of dollars a month to save a few hundred up front is a raw deal. Apple can better monetize their IP and get iPhones into the hands of more customers by going after the prepaid and developing world market. Because of the amazing deal Steve Jobs cajoled AT&T into (over the original iPhone), Apple has been too reliant on carrier kickbacks/incentives to drive profit for the iPhone. They need to get away from this, and quickly. Apple need to get back to relying on selling great hardware straight to consumers and then letting them choose what to do with the devices. They need to get out from under the thumb of the carriers, but they can't do that when they're reliant on them as a revenue stream. The absolutely ideal situation would be a single model of the iPhone compatible with all bands of LTE used in your region sold only at an Apple Store/online that you then take to a carrier and buy a plan of your choice from. Cut the carrier completely out of the equation from a sales standpoint and offer the device directly to the consumer with the assurance that it will function on any carrier the user chooses. Google's shown this can be successful. If Apple put their whole weight behind this sort of move, it would radically change the mobile landscape and put the iPhone into the hands of people who never would have considered it.

I get annoyed having to enter in my password to download anything in the app store (Thankfully the got rid of that for app updates!), so the fingerprint reader would be nice (assuming it's not a slow process). Some of the camera features are nice, but I don't think there was anything shown/discussed that some other phones don't already have. I'll be curious to see how it stacks up against some of the other phones (like the Lumia 1020).

Once your fingerprint has been registered, tapping the Home button when the phone is locked is enough to unlock the phone (it worked flawlessly in my demo). Your fingerprint can also be used to authenticate when you make purchases from Apple's various stores.
If you share your phone among family members (or if you want the phone to recognize, say, your index finger and your thumb) iOS 7 will allow you to register as many fingers as you want to unlock the phone. Each individual fingerprint can be given a unique name in the settings to help you distinguish them from one another (and to delete registered fingers, if you've gone through a bad break-up or something and need to lock your ex out of your phone).

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/0...es-hands-on-with-the-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c/

sounds like the fingerprint sensor works well.

Because the contract is dying anyway. It's not the way people outside of the US, Japan or industrialized Europe usually buy their phones, and it's drifting out of favor even in those countries as people realize that being beholden to a carrier for hundreds of dollars a month to save a few hundred up front is a raw deal. Apple can better monetize their IP and get iPhones into the hands of more customers by going after the prepaid and developing world market. Because of the amazing deal Steve Jobs cajoled AT&T into (over the original iPhone), Apple has been too reliant on carrier kickbacks/incentives to drive profit for the iPhone. They need to get away from this, and quickly. Apple need to get back to relying on selling great hardware straight to consumers and then letting them choose what to do with the devices. They need to get out from under the thumb of the carriers, but they can't do that when they're reliant on them as a revenue stream. The absolutely ideal situation would be a single model of the iPhone compatible with all bands of LTE used in your region sold only at an Apple Store/online that you then take to a carrier and buy a plan of your choice from. Cut the carrier completely out of the equation from a sales standpoint and offer the device directly to the consumer with the assurance that it will function on any carrier the user chooses. Google's shown this can be successful. If Apple put their whole weight behind this sort of move, it would radically change the mobile landscape and put the iPhone into the hands of people who never would have considered it.
The prices quoted during the release presentation were carrier-subsidized prices. The $99 and $199 price for the 5c 16GB and 32GB for 2 year contracts. You can get the regular iPhone 5 16GB for $149 with a 2 year contract (with AT&T). At an equivalent level, the devices are only $50 different with contracts (as the contract prices were the first quoted prices, surely someone still cares about contracts).

The 5c is just a 5 without an aluminum case. The 5c (16GB) will retail for $549 off-contract. The iphone 5s 16GB will retail for $649. That's only $100 difference, and a $549 is a shitton of money to pay for a phone in a developing world market. So many speculated that the 5c would be a cheap iphone. Turns out it's just a slightly cheaper iphone.

The 5c was just a way for Apple to rebrand their previous 5 hardware. Nothing more, nothing less. Why do you think Apple pulled the 5 off their iphone store so quickly, but still sell new handsets of the 4s?

Meh. I might get a 5s just to try out an iPhone device.

A big reason for the 5C is the prepaid market. That's a huge segment in which iPhones can't be sold because of cost. Now they can.

it seems like the iPhone 5C is in direct opposition of Steve Jobs' ideologies.

It's still an incredibly expensive device compared with the zillions of Android phones available. The iPhone 5C is a much nicer than cheap Android phones, but that's still a huge factor in buying.

Not exactly sure what the point of the 5c was... colors? really? Better off getting a 5 and calling it a day.

The 5s might enough to feed apple fans for the next little bit, but the fact of the matter is, it's as good as no upgrade at all. Android is going to run all over them now...

The best part about Apple product announcements is that they bring posts like these out of the woodwork. I hope there's another event next month for Mavericks and the iPad so that we can get more theater like this.

The best part about Apple product announcements is that they bring posts like these out of the woodwork. I hope there's another event next month for Mavericks and the iPad so that we can get more theater like this.

my post was from an office chair, not from the woodwork. i take it you disagree with my thoughts?

So the 5c is pretty much a 5 under the hood right?
The 5c has a slightly larger battery and a better front-facing camera. Apart from that, and apart from the fact that they're obviously dimensionally different, I believe they're identical in terms of the 'hardware experience'.

my post was from an office chair, not from the woodwork. i take it you disagree with my thoughts?

It's less disagreement and more outright amazement that you would even arrive at that opinion. You leaped the Grand Canyon and the Himalayas in one powerful motion. The 5C is right in line with devices like the original iMac and the iPod Nano, with a bit of iPod Touch as well. It looks like Steve Jobs stuck his hand through the ground above his grave and handed it to Tim Cook.

Your connotation implying "not Jobs = not good" is worth a mild chuckle, additionally. Jobs made some very good decisions and some very bad decisions. Tim Cook would be a failure if he tried to become Steve Jobs. Tim Cook should be Tim Cook, Jony Ive should be Jony Ive, Phil Schiller should be Phil Schiller, etc. They're doing quite well as is and project to do so well into the future, with the occasional mistake because humans are humans and prone to error.

It's less disagreement and more outright amazement that you would even arrive at that opinion. You leaped the Grand Canyon and the Himalayas in one powerful motion. The 5C is right in line with devices like the original iMac and the iPod Nano, with a bit of iPod Touch as well. It looks like Steve Jobs stuck his hand through the ground above his grave and handed it to Tim Cook.

Your connotation implying "not Jobs = not good" is worth a mild chuckle, additionally. Jobs made some very good decisions and some very bad decisions. Tim Cook would be a failure if he tried to become Steve Jobs. Tim Cook should be Tim Cook, Jony Ive should be Jony Ive, Phil Schiller should be Phil Schiller, etc. They're doing quite well as is and project to do so well into the future, with the occasional mistake because humans are humans and prone to error.

sheesh. from my limited knowledge of Jobs (i read the bio, that's about it) it seems like he strived for 'sleek' and 'high quality'. so of late it would be aluminum and glass, not formed polycarbonate. i'm all for a cheaper iPhone but one made of plastic does not appeal to me. i'm clearly not their target consumer for it, either. i didn't imply that anything not Jobs is instantly 'not good'. reread what i wrote and take your own bias out of the equation. also, have a beer and relax! we're all just nerds at a keyboard here :D

sheesh. from my limited knowledge of Jobs (i read the bio, that's about it) it seems like he strived for 'sleek' and 'high quality'. so of late it would be aluminum and glass, not formed polycarbonate. i'm all for a cheaper iPhone but one made of plastic does not appeal to me. i'm clearly not their target consumer for it, either. i didn't imply that anything not Jobs is instantly 'not good'. reread what i wrote and take your own bias out of the equation. also, have a beer and relax! we're all just nerds at a keyboard here :D

What were the iPhones' cases composed of prior to the iPhone 4? Also, it's not like there isn't the 5S for you. ;)

A big reason for the 5C is the prepaid market. That's a huge segment in which iPhones can't be sold because of cost. Now they can.

How? The cheapest 5c (16GB) is going to retail for $549. That's not cheap. That's more expensive than a lot of the high-end android phones. I reiterate, the 5c isn't cheap; just cheaper, and only by $50-100 depending on whether you get it subsidized or unsubsidized. Still not cheap, just a re-brand of last year's iPhone 5.

I like that they are including productivity software with the phone. I know its only about $30-40 for the apps, but getting them free and ready to go is nice. I keep putting off buying the apps cause I'm stubborn.

Also all the major high end phones that people compare to the iPhone are $600+ when comparing normal prices. The iPhone isn't anymore expensive, it just isn't subsidized as much.

How? The cheapest 5c (16GB) is going to retail for $549. That's not cheap. That's more expensive than a lot of the high-end android phones. I reiterate, the 5c isn't cheap; just cheaper, and only by $50-100 depending on whether you get it subsidized or unsubsidized. Still not cheap, just a re-brand of last year's iPhone 5.

Well no, it's CHEAPER FOR APPLE TO MAKE.

You don't honestly believe that they can just cut a hunk of aluminum for free do you? A large chunk of the build costs for an iPhone is the damn case, and that NEVER goes down. This means that they make almost nothing off the older phones, which, given the short sales lifetime for new phones is not so desirable (less profit).

This move guarantees that Apple is making more money today on the old iPhone 5 guts, and also means that a year from now they will actually be making a profit when they give the damn thing away for "free."

This is introducing a brand-new product line (a re-brand if you will), and they are very carefully designing and pricing it so that people still perceive value despite the plastic. It also gives a brand-new distinctiveness to the "hero" iPhone 5S, because from this day forward only the trailblazers and used phone buyers will be able to experience the *magic* of the expensive aluminum body (you have to admit, this was getting pretty tired now that everyone and they dog could afford one). Given their usual consistency, you can expect every phone refresh to dress the last model in crayola-inspired garb.

This is NOT about selling a cheap phone today, it's about VIABLY selling this cheap phone more profitably TODAY, AND potentially cheaper tomorrow! Apple is not stupid - if they released this thing for LESS they would devalue their entire product range, and if they gave this treatment to the now-ancient 4S guts, people would call them crazy.

Last edited:
Hahaha... I'm trying to resist buying one... but that'll be tough.

I have the moto x and im not happy with the lack of polish. Then there is the Nexus 5 to consider...

Back