iPhone 5 Prone To Bending?

bender2.jpg

Bending eh?

I'd look around for Yuri Geller, but he's a fake.

May as well call an obvious fake too...

There's not even any buckling of parts, nevermind the extremely brittle front glass. Given how the LCD is bonded to the glass and the cramped parts inside, no way would it bend like that and still work.

One of the photos shows some scuffing in the crease of the bend, so I'd say with such a sharp bend in the middle this was done on the corner of a desk or a machine.

so you buy a hundreds of dollars phone...then sit on it

brilliant

so fake iphones are structurally different than real iphones. Thanks for the heads-up!

Common notion 1. Things which equal the same thing also equal one another

Returning home on the bus one December evening, a trio of youngsters talk and one of them reaches for his phone. Keys and keychain jingle against the aluminium and glass of the iPhone 5 as he takes it out, and when he unlocks it to send a text I see a young mans world fall apart.

Do people seriously keep phones unprotected in jeans pockets together with keys and stuff?

Yes.

You'd also be surprised to see how many people continue to store these phones in their back pockets even after they've fished it out of the toilet once.

Take better care of your expensive sensitive small electronics devices.

i would actually enjoy having a phone (and screen) that is extremely bent, yet entirely functional. i hope someone tries to bend one perfectly into a curve.

a curved phone and screen would be extremely cool looking to me and i would be proud to own one.

Flexible, waterproof phones are coming. Pockets, toilets will be nothing to worry about. Apple had it first. Proof right here!

You people to realize that glass like Gorilla Glass can flex and bend without breaking right? When I had to replace the glass on my EVO 3D a while back the old piece was able to be bent to nearly a complete "U" shape before it snapped.

I don't think these are fake iPhones at all really...just cheap thin aluminum doing what it does best! At least this shows why plastic bodies (e.g. Samsung) aren't always a bad thing. I don't see this happening to my Galaxy Note...

Why is this news?

Well, just by looking at the thread, it is of interest to a lot of people. Heck, it is apparently of interest to you too...you clicked the link and you were the fourth person to leave a comment on the story. ;)

i thought the apple logo was filled in and not a softly drawn outline...

techrat's picture of the Gorilla Glass bending has blown my mind. How is that even possible??

techrat's picture of the Gorilla Glass bending has blown my mind. How is that even possible??

Gradual bending versus impact. It's entirely possible the phone bent slowly in someone's pocket. Gorilla glass tends to only shatter when it's dropped at an angle or on top of something that isn't flat. (Pebbles on concrete)

Gorilla Glass can actually withstand about 120lbs of focused pressure without shattering. Bend tests usually exceed an inch deep curvature. It's strong as hell as long as any pressure is being put against it along the face. It just sucks when anything is done to it as side impact.

I don't know a lot about glass, but my understanding is that glass shatters so spectacularly because while it can withstand a lot of compression, a small amount of tension quickly causes it to fracture (bending causes tension on one face, compression on the other, so glass go bang).

It seems Gorilla Glass uses ion exchange at high temperature to replace smaller sodium ions with larger potassium ions, then as the glass cools this creates a high compressive pre-stress, so when the glass is bent in at extreme angles, rather than one side going in to compression and the other going in to tension, one side goes in to even more compression and the other side goes in to less compression (but critically, not tension).

It's similar to how toughened glass works, but I guess the whole large potassium ion thing makes it even more effective.

Can't say I'm all that surprised. That's why I don't like all these metal body devices. Plastic is cheap and gives way in falls. Either you get little indentations in the plastic or it cracks. Metal on the other hand just dents or bends like crazy.

Confirmed. The phone is bent because it was sat on.

F3VSL.jpg

Wouldn't the glass break if the shell was bent?

yeah I was thinking exactly that. Yes it's aluminum instead of stainless steel this time, but glass is still glass. Until I see more, I'll have to call this fake or someone has some great iPhone modding skills.

Gradual bending versus impact. It's entirely possible the phone bent slowly in someone's pocket. Gorilla glass tends to only shatter when it's dropped at an angle or on top of something that isn't flat. (Pebbles on concrete)

Gorilla Glass can actually withstand about 120lbs of focused pressure without shattering. Bend tests usually exceed an inch deep curvature. It's strong as hell as long as any pressure is being put against it along the face. It just sucks when anything is done to it as side impact.

True, but I doubt if there's an adhesive strong enough to keep the glass from popping out before it get around to bending.

Back