iPhone 5 official thread ( hater free )

dremic

Supreme [H]ardness
Thought I would make a new thread for those of us that wanna talk about the iphone 5 and what we are enjoying about it.

currently taking advantage of Spotify premium and checking the new headphones ( pretty decent for 30$ )

I had to take the screen protector on mine though it was driving me crazy.

look forward to hear what apps you're using!

The wife's talking on her's right now, so haven't been able to test out LTE or anything on it yet..

I did find it amusing because she came in and asked how to turn up the volume to hear people on the other end. I told her the volume buttons control the ringer volume when not on a call and the voice volume when on a call. She got all irritated with the "I figured that out, but the volume is almost all the way up and I can barely hear them." Needless to say, she left the protector film on the phone, which covers the speaker.... :rolleyes: She's much happier now...

The wife's talking on her's right now, so haven't been able to test out LTE or anything on it yet..

I did find it amusing because she came in and asked how to turn up the volume to hear people on the other end. I told her the volume buttons control the ringer volume when not on a call and the voice volume when on a call. She got all irritated with the "I figured that out, but the volume is almost all the way up and I can barely hear them." Needless to say, she left the protector film on the phone, which covers the speaker.... :rolleyes: She's much happier now...

hahaha amazing. :)

This is a big upgrade for me from the HTC HD7.. I gotta say the syncing of my email / contacts / calender was pretty easy although I had to do a little googling because you can't get the contacts unless you set up the accounts through exchange

Thinking if getting this for the wife, but I'm going to give it some time to let the map feature mature since that is a pretty big function of the phone she uses.

I was excited to see what the iphone was going to bring but I'll let the wifey have it :D

I'm thinking of getting the iPhone 5 for my wife. She has been wanting one for about 2 years, but Sprint hasn't had it till recently. She has an Evo 4G, so I'm sure it'd be a huge upgrade. I wish I had preordered it because she'd of had it today. she takes care of her phones, so I'm not too worried about it. I could never have an iphone though because I go through 2-3 phones a year (damage wise).

For one of the main reasons I switched to Verizon from AT&T who has no LTE coverage here...

qp7u2.png

Wow those are nice speeds, wish I got anything close to that.

I read that the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for any global sim, I don't think that's ever happened before?

Wow those are nice speeds, wish I got anything close to that.

I read that the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for any global sim, I don't think that's ever happened before?
Yea, was really surprised to read that. I doubt it will ever happen again. Apple has the ability to bully it's way past any BS carrier rules because they are the only ones that sell the iPhone. That will never happen with any android OEM

hopefully Sprint LTE will be able to achieve similar speeds, before I restored, I was able to hit 16 mbs down and 6 mbs up, will do some additional checks later when I head out of the house

Thought I would make a new thread for those of us that wanna talk about the iphone 5 and what we are enjoying about it.

currently taking advantage of Spotify premium and checking the new headphones ( pretty decent for 30$ )

I had to take the screen protector on mine though it was driving me crazy.

look forward to hear what apps you're using!

Please talk about your battery life. Qualcomm's new radio will hopefully be in every LTE capable super phone very soon.

Please talk about your battery life. Qualcomm's new radio will hopefully be in every LTE capable super phone very soon.

the battery life is excellent. although my W7P didn't have multitasking so I had all these apps running and didn't realize it. even with pretty much every app running I was getting a lot out of it, heavy usage getting like 10-12 hours.

right now i turned off all of the apps once i figured it out. listening to spotify and I will let you know if it lasts the rest of the work day without a charge.

so far its very impressive.

also i can see why they made such a big deal about the panoramic camera now... the pictures are really cool.

the battery life is excellent. although my W7P didn't have multitasking so I had all these apps running and didn't realize it. even with pretty much every app running I was getting a lot out of it, heavy usage getting like 10-12 hours.

right now i turned off all of the apps once i figured it out. listening to spotify and I will let you know if it lasts the rest of the work day without a charge.

also i can see why they made such a big deal about the panoramic camera now... the pictures are really cool.

Oh hey I didn't know you made this thread. So you go the new phone? Would you recommend it to an original iP4 owner? I mainly wanted to stick with Apple due to all the apps I have, but wanted to get peoples opinions on how it's changed. Looks like you said you had the W7P though, so not sure how that compares. :p

My iP4's battery life is garbage, though with iOS6 it seems to be decently better.

Oh hey I didn't know you made this thread. So you go the new phone? Would you recommend it to an original iP4 owner? I mainly wanted to stick with Apple due to all the apps I have, but wanted to get peoples opinions on how it's changed. Looks like you said you had the W7P though, so not sure how that compares. :p

My iP4's battery life is garbage, though with iOS6 it seems to be decently better.

iP4 to iP5 is a significant upgrade, definitely. iP4S probably not so much. My father has the iP4 and we were comparing and we both felt like there was some big differences with battery life and features

I do miss having a mophie battery case as I love having the freedom of going out the entire day without charging with a full day of heavy use

I do miss having a mophie battery case as I love having the freedom of going out the entire day without charging with a full day of heavy use

how does that thing work pretty well? i just want it so i dont have to plug it in..

i preordered a grovemade case though.. idk if you have seen them but they are dope

http://www.grovemade.com/

how does that thing work pretty well? i just want it so i dont have to plug it in..

i preordered a grovemade case though.. idk if you have seen them but they are dope

http://www.grovemade.com/

A wooden case for $60? I don't think I'd consider that...I'd probably drop it, so I'd need something that would survive.

A wooden case for $60? I don't think I'd consider that...I'd probably drop it, so I'd need something that would survive.

its bamboo.. do you think bamboo cant survive a drop? haha look at the design its really quite impressive

its bamboo.. do you think bamboo cant survive a drop? haha look at the design its really quite impressive

Hm...looks like it can survive a few drops. May be into this when I get my new phone...You've changed my mind in a very short time (I did like the way they looked, was just scared how it'd handle a drop with how slippery some of the cases I've had have been)

You win this time. :mad:

Hm...looks like it can survive a few drops. May be into this when I get my new phone...You've changed my mind in a very short time (I did like the way they looked, was just scared how it'd handle a drop with how slippery some of the cases I've had have been)

You win this time. :mad:

hehe

the fiber i think is how it survives the shock of a drop.

i just want it cause its super unique and it looks like theyre making it thinner as well. it looks very sleek to me.. plus you can get a custom engraving on there if you want.. damn. im just excited for it

Are those usage times with LTE? I've been on the LTE sideline until all-in-one radios are available (like the iP5).

Thinking if getting this for the wife, but I'm going to give it some time to let the map feature mature since that is a pretty big function of the phone she uses.

I was excited to see what the iphone was going to bring but I'll let the wifey have it :D

I don't have the iPhone 5, but I upgraded my 4S to iOS 6 tonight after holding off for the past week. I was a little worried about all the bad hype associated with the new maps app, but I've been playing around with it all night and it's freakin' awesome:D It's vector based and the screen re-draws extremely fast as you scroll around (even on 3G). With the old maps app it would sometimes take quite a long time to re-draw. I'm in the greater Boston area and the roads here can be a mess, but I've been scrolling around different areas and it looks very accurate. The 3D flyover feature in satellite mode is also really cool - I didn't appreciate it until I actually tried it. It blows away google street view IMHO.

Now granted, if you're in a rural area or outside of the U.S. your results may fall short. But if you're in or around a major metropolitan area in the U.S. I wouldn't worry about the maps at all. Call me crazy but I actually feel like it's an "upgrade" from the previous google-based version. I think people have freaked out way too much about relatively minor problems while completely overlooking how beautiful and functional the new app really is.

I haven't actually tried using turn-by-turn yet, but I'll try it soon. I also have ~6 months remaining on my annual Telenav subscription which has served me well, so I have some cushion there. In 6 months time I'm betting maps will be even further improved, so I might be able to ditch Telenav altogether.

Don't let maps stop you from upgrading or getting the iPhone 5. It's not nearly as bad as you've been led to believe;)

I haven't been on an iPhone since the iPhone 4, since then its all been android for me (Droid X, Droid 2 Global, Thunderbolt, and currently GNex). The last two LTE phones had terrible battery life, even after root and custom rom. iP5 looks really impressive I have to admit. I was really disappointed in the 4S but the 5 looks really nice mainly because of the battery life and mostly because I am so tired of the troubles and headaches of custom roms. I wonder though if the Lumia 920 will have the same battery life as the iP5 on LTE. I might have to get both lol.

I haven't been on an iPhone since the iPhone 4, since then its all been android for me (Droid X, Droid 2 Global, Thunderbolt, and currently GNex). The last two LTE phones had terrible battery life, even after root and custom rom. iP5 looks really impressive I have to admit. I was really disappointed in the 4S but the 5 looks really nice mainly because of the battery life and mostly because I am so tired of the troubles and headaches of custom roms. I wonder though if the Lumia 920 will have the same battery life as the iP5 on LTE. I might have to get both lol.

I want the 920 Lumia more than anything...but I'm on Verizon. I may hold out for the HTX 8x and see how that fares. Right now, if I had to get a phone (contract is up), I'd get the iP5 to keep my many apps.

Also, your name kicks ass, what you driving? ;)

I am really liking the iPhone 5. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and S3 and I too got tired of having to run custom roms to fix silly issues. I had an issue that I couldn't correct on my Nexus which was causing the phone to mute mid call so users couldn't hear me. My S3 would about once a day pick a random stock app to stop working...messaging, clock, etc... I got tired of it and my S3 wasn't rooted and I had reset it multipule times.

I guess in the end I just prefer a simpler phone, at the end of the day, I need a phone to make some calls, set some appointments and send some messages, email, etc....

The iPhone 5 is very nice though. It does feel a bit too light which in turns makes it feel a bit cheap. Everything else about the phone seems solid and familiar. I wouldn't mind a bit more flexibilty in the OS as in GUI update but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter, its a phone and when I think back of wehre I was when I was younger, any phone these days are awesome.

Verizon finally charged me today for me "pre-order". I hope it doesn't actually take until October 12th...

My wife and I have been pretty happy with our 5's so far. I've only noticed one small annoyance so far. Anyone else had their 3G ("4G") icon pop to Edge, drop all bars, and come back randomly? I guess it's possible it's AT&T's issues where I live, but my wife didn't notice her phone doing it at the time mine was. I have had this happen twice in the week I've had the phone.

Last edited:
I am getting a whopping fast 0.48mbps upload and download on LTE and 4G.

I want the 920 Lumia more than anything...but I'm on Verizon. I may hold out for the HTX 8x and see how that fares. Right now, if I had to get a phone (contract is up), I'd get the iP5 to keep my many apps.

Also, your name kicks ass, what you driving? ;)

I am also on verizon and totally agree, since I am getting a W8 hybrid I thought it would be awesome to get the Lumia 920, so its been on the top of my list forever. I drive a 2011 C63 AMG, hence my name lol.

Back