iPhone 5 Is The Worst Of The Top Smartphones

HardOCP News

[H] News
Consumer Reports says the iPhone 5 is the worst of the top smartphones. Ouch.

In fact, Consumer Reports' conclusion is even more depressing for Apple fans. Consumer Reports actually rates the iPhone 5 the worst of the top smartphones. CR doesn't spell out the reasoning for its numerical ratings (yet), but the results are still startling.

As much as I far prefer iOS over Band-Roid, I have to agree.

The iPhone is falling further and further behind tech wise and feature wise.

Hell, my T-Mobile Galaxy SII T-989 is a superior phone, hardware wise, and it's been out for ages.

Except for battery life maybe. Man does that suck.

Not to mention Plans are far less expensive.

Apple still leads in Tablets IMHO, but for phones there are much better choices for now.

Band-Roid is someone trying to say there is a good bandwagon. Yeah, cause Apple isn't at all about trying to be cool and joining in with what others say is cool. Kind of the definition of a bandwagon.

This is a bizarre headline. "Worst of the top"?

I don't blame HardOCP, since the original article had that headline. But it makes more sense to say "iPhone ranked 3rd best smartphone for AT&T and Sprint"

When people see "worst" and "iPhone", it is natural to think the article is saying the iPhone is horrible. But in truth, it just isn't the best, but it is close.

2-3 points out of 100 from the first place is hardly a hanging head in shame type of moment

What is band-roid? I don't get it.

It is probably the worst of this BS disparaging naming crap nerds do with anything they don't like to get attention for their negative opinions.

You just want to pat them on the head and tell them it's OK to not like something... even strongly, we'll see and note your opinion even if you don't trash something into the ground with kitschy catchphrases.

2-3 points out of 100 from the first place is hardly a hanging head in shame type of moment

When the iPhone had such an enormous and clearly dominating smartphone lead previously, I would say it's a big deal. Before, the average know nothing Consumer Reports reader, and American, would have automatically assumed the iPhone was the best phone to have for everything, period.

Now? Not so much.

iPhone isn't keeping up. A couple years ago, I'd argue it was the best (while at the same time screaming APPLE SUCKS!). But, it just isn't doing anything 'revolutionary and innovative!' to keep up. Windows Phone is doing more to keep ahead of the curve than Apple is. Android is moving very fast, too. Apple is just resting on it's laurels and riding the wave of the Apple hype. It's slowing way down.

I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone 6 that just blows everything else out of the water. Something that makes people go "WOW, that's the new iPhone?!". I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see it.

i like my iphone 5, went through a whole bunch of androids and windows phones.

When the iPhone had such an enormous and clearly dominating smartphone lead previously, I would say it's a big deal. Before, the average know nothing Consumer Reports reader, and American, would have automatically assumed the iPhone was the best phone to have for everything, period.

Now? Not so much.
Yep. It's noteworthy just to say that there are Android phones that are just as good as the iphone now.

Also, from a consumer perspective it's now becoming a question of: "Is it worth the extra $150-$200 just to be within the apple ecosystem?"

For many Apple users the answer is yes. I know people disappointed in the new iphone that have ipads and imacs and Apple TV and are willing to pay that extra bit just to have their phone play nice with everything else at home. This probably doesn't describe the typical [H] reader though. ;)

They and their "PLANS" are all way way more expensive than they are worth. :mad:

When the Galaxy S III is $99, with a $30/mo "plan", give me a call. :rolleyes:

Meantime, the entire cell phone system should be made a regulated monopoly just as the land-line system is, and should actually cost $5/mo, but that is another debate.

I'm just not a fan of allowing the "phone" companies to operate a vast income redistribution scam ($10's of billions per year) from the millions of working people to the filthy rich owners of the phone companies. :eek::p

Considering the iPhone 5 is the first Apple 4G phone, should this be really a surprise?
+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

Was "Jobs" really Steve's last name, or was that more of a nickname because he was blowing everyone in the media for positive reviews?

Seems like since the "Jobs" ended, Apple has been on one serious downward spiral where all the "revolutionary magic" sparkle dust seems to have vanished, and the hardware is being compared realistically against competitors.

iPhone isn't keeping up. A couple years ago, I'd argue it was the best (while at the same time screaming APPLE SUCKS!). But, it just isn't doing anything 'revolutionary and innovative!' to keep up. Windows Phone is doing more to keep ahead of the curve than Apple is. Android is moving very fast, too. Apple is just resting on it's laurels and riding the wave of the Apple hype. It's slowing way down.

I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone 6 that just blows everything else out of the water. Something that makes people go "WOW, that's the new iPhone?!". I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see it.

At this point, I really don't see what Apple could do better, hardware wise (except what they normally do, give it more RAM and horsepower). The iPhone 5 is one of the most powerful phones you can get at the moment.

Any advancements would have to be software based. I'd love to see them open up the SDK to allow things other than apps to be developed. I'd also love to see some sort of native bluetooth controller (gamepad?) APIs added to the SDK to allow hardware manufacturers and software developers to both be on the 'same page' without using keyboard emulation and the like. Having used my iPhone for the past 5-6 months without a jailbreak has really made me consider switch over to Android. It seems with each new release, they make a lot of changes to the OS, but most are just refinements and adding polish. Nothing really new (that I use regularly at least)

Was "Jobs" really Steve's last name, or was that more of a nickname because he was blowing everyone in the media for positive reviews?

Seems like since the "Jobs" ended, Apple has been on one serious downward spiral where all the "revolutionary magic" sparkle dust seems to have vanished, and the hardware is being compared realistically against competitors.

But but... rounded corners!

They and their "PLANS" are all way way more expensive than they are worth. :mad:

When the Galaxy S III is $99, with a $30/mo "plan", give me a call. :rolleyes:

Meantime, the entire cell phone system should be made a regulated monopoly just as the land-line system is, and should actually cost $5/mo, but that is another debate.

I'm just not a fan of allowing the "phone" companies to operate a vast income redistribution scam ($10's of billions per year) from the millions of working people to the filthy rich owners of the phone companies. :eek::p

Wow, I mean just wow!

Wow, I mean just wow!

I'm not really sure what so shocking to you on that.

The cost to manufacture an iPhone 5 16GB model is around $201, with labor and export costs bringing the total to around $242. A more than fair profit margin would be around 25%.

MVNOs us the same air towers as the major carriers yet sell for less, and you know both the MVNO and the major carrier are still making money on the service.

Personally, I use an unlocked iPhone on an MVNO.

Let's see, $40/month for unlimited talk/text/data... seems like a more reasonable price, which is exactly what I pay.

Yup $80+/month is totally justified from ATT/Verizon/Sprint or the same damn service :rolleyes:

My wife has iphone 5 and I have gsIII and her phone is better for typing and the applications are better. I have the NEXUS One previously as well and this will be my last android phone. Too many crashes and freezes and the typing sucks.

Reads headline.

Reads actual scoring.

Oh silly silly tech media.

Silly commenters too, but we're silly regardless of the journalistic integrity of an article.

I don't think apple is in trouble.

I think It's a common business practice to release something good and gain a lot of brand recognition. Then you slowly lower the quality while selling the same amount of product on name alone to increase your profits.

If they thought they were in trouble, then they should release an iPhone nano (or something) for cheap so that they can move the most amount of them while the name still has meaning.

While people are sucking up the iPhone nano, they can use that time to research better stuff and hopefully blow people out of the water at a high price point again and allow the cycle to continue.

It is probably the worst of this BS disparaging naming crap nerds do with anything they don't like to get attention for their negative opinions.

You just want to pat them on the head and tell them it's OK to not like something... even strongly, we'll see and note your opinion even if you don't trash something into the ground with kitschy catchphrases.

You mean like Crapple?

Worse of Top?

Is that some new convoluted, negative spin on saying 3rd place?

Weird.

I have the Nexus 4, it's the best android device I've ever used but if someone offered to trade me an iphone 5 for it I would do it in a heartbeat.

Is there anyone below the age of 60 that actually takes consumer reports seriously?

I'm no Apple fan boi - but there's really nothing wrong with the iPhone 5. Yes, Apple is not really innovating anymore but iOS is a solid platform. The problem is that, unlike Microsoft in 90s with Windows, Apple actually has stark competition. Their phones are not changing enough year to year to warrant upgrades for the user who only wants basic internet and email access.

Android, on the other hand, has made HUGE strides over the past few years. The fact that the Droid X was a top of the line phone in 2010 alone shows you how far Google has come.

The Razr HD Maxx is a hell of a phone - I'm not surprised it was #1

My wife has iphone 5 and I have gsIII and her phone is better for typing and the applications are better. I have the NEXUS One previously as well and this will be my last android phone. Too many crashes and freezes and the typing sucks.

There are a lot of alternative keyboards for Android that make typing a boatload easier and faster than the IPhone (any version).

As for apps, most co-exist on each platforms with some differences, but it's a wash IMHO.

I have the Nexus 4, it's the best android device I've ever used but if someone offered to trade me an iphone 5 for it I would do it in a heartbeat.

No way for me, except to re-sell the IPhone5, pocket some profits, and re-buy another NeXus4.

My only issue with the NeXus4 is the limited, non-expandable storage capacity, with 32GB being on my wish list.

IPhone5 is nice hardware (even with the weird screen ratio) but iOS is stagnating and the price premium is egregious. And iTunes makes me plain angry.

As for the article, I think it's just piss-poor sensationalism.

I don't mean to be a sour grape, but unless consumer reports wrote that article themselves, they usually don't like people posting there research especially directly from the magazine, and they are very defensive legally with this type of thing.

I've been using an iPhone for about six months now when I was given one as a company phone, and I still miss Swype. Just personal preference though.

Is there anyone below the age of 60 that actually takes consumer reports seriously?

I'm no Apple fan boi - but there's really nothing wrong with the iPhone 5.

I am well under 60 and I have a CR online subscription, but mainly for the car review database. I like CR because they buy products, and don't accept freebies, trips, advertising etc. So they don't suck up to manufacturers of any stripe.

Note that CR doesn't say anything is wrong with the iPhone 5, just that they rate some competition slightly higher.

It is the intermediate site, basically turning it into an Apple troll and I don't think [H] ever met an Apple troll they didn't like. :)

I still like the Iphone. I upgraded from a 4 to a 5. I have a few complaints - but I'm sure I'd have complaints about an android phone or a windows phone as well. IMO all the top phones are pretty much the same with small improvements. But honestly, they all do everything I could ever want out of a phone - it's replaced my: phone, ipod, calculator, watch, point and shoot camera, video camera, phonebook, calendar, password manager, alarm clock, navigation gps, reading books, and it plays stupid games when I'm bored. It gives me internet in a pinch, lets me get movie times and tickets, buy stuff quick and easy, I can use it as a remote for my laptop when watching movies, skype, I can watch movies on a plane, I can stream pandora while at work, and I can RDP to my servers at work in a pinch if I get called and don't feel like leaving the bar.

I keep hearing "it's not innovating" fast enough. But honestly - aren't we at the point where smartphones pretty much do everything already? What else could you want it to do? (legitimate question - I'm interested). I often wonder how any of the companies could innovate further. It's got to be tough trying to figure out what to make of your next model phone other than incremental speed and memory increases...

I don't mind the phone hardware, it is iOS that sucks the big one.

Welcome to Apple. Hardware it top notch. Very high quality (in my experience, anyway).

Software has left a lot to be desired. iOS moreso than OSX. These little updates that bring things that other have had for a couple generations are nothing awe inspiring.

The iPhone is just another phone these days. Same with iPad. Very great device, just very limited. iOS has hit the ceiling a while back. It needs an overhaul. Instead of moving iOS to Mac, why not move OSX to iPhone/iPad? OSX Mini, still based on BSD...

Welcome to Apple. Hardware it top notch. Very high quality (in my experience, anyway).

Software has left a lot to be desired. iOS moreso than OSX. These little updates that bring things that other have had for a couple generations are nothing awe inspiring.

The iPhone is just another phone these days. Same with iPad. Very great device, just very limited. iOS has hit the ceiling a while back. It needs an overhaul. Instead of moving iOS to Mac, why not move OSX to iPhone/iPad? OSX Mini, still based on BSD...

I don't think it's as clear cut as many suggest.

Each system has its benefits.

I tend to prefer the Android ecosystem just for its greater flexibility and availaility of good software. Like - for instance - the availability of global equalizers for sound output on Android.

I also like the bigger screen that my Galaxy S3 provides me.

iOS on the other hand still has the better keyboard. Jelly Bean improved the keyboard for me, but Apple still has a huge advantage here.

In the end it comes down to preference. I strongly prefer Android, but I can use either. I prefer getting out of Apples closed ecosystem, and prefer not giving them any of my money, as I don't like the company, but I did have three iPhone's in a row, and they were solid phones.

I'm pretty happy I no longer need to have iTunes installed on my computer though :)

I dont really think that the iPhone is necessarily doing badly or declining. They are still selling them at record pace, its just that the total market share % of iPhone vs all the other android OEMs seem to be staying the same while the numbers grow. Anyways I prefer the iPhone 5 over the S3 by a large margin. But I would love the DNA and Note 2. By no means is the iPhone 5 vastly inferior. It could use NFC and a slightly bigger screen, I think 4.5" is the right size. No one is really innovating at all in the mobile space anymore, its all bigger screen and faster proc, more memory etc etc. Samsung tries Ill give you that but they are almost always gimmicks.

I love the iPhone. It fits MY lifestyle as best as any phone can. I don't have a desire to hack my phone. I appreciate those features on a PC, but I don't need it or want it on my phone. When I left Android I was worried about not being able to load my own software, but after 3 years PDA.net was the only program I wanted to load that I wasn't allowed to, and we all know we used PDA.net to skirt around the rules so I was ok with it not being available (outside of jailbreaking).

Last week when me and my wife switched carriers I went from a iphone 4s to an iphone 5. She went from a Galaxy S to a Galaxy S2. She got her contacts to switch over, that was it. 15 minutes after activating my phone my iPhone 5 looked and felt like I had been using it since I had the 4S, I hadn't even left the store. Everything but my music transfered over from the cloud (the music probably could have if I paid for the storage). And I mean EVERYTHING. My contacts, my text messages, my apps + their settings, the pictures I took on my old phone, my background, my ringtones, even the browser history. It was like I started with the iPhone 5. It couldn't have been less painful.

For my needs the difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S is negligable. I don't want a quad core processor in my phone. Not yet at least. My biggest complaint is the Apple premium for storage space. But thats a long standing Apple thing. Its not iPhone specific. And 16GB is still a decent amount.

The iPhone does not carry that much of a premium. I bought an unlocked version so I could go to T-mobile. It was $650. A Samsung Galaxy S3 is $600. A Note 2 is about the same. My monthly plan is $45 for unlimited everything. The same as my wife's Galaxy.

The point is, get what you want. Get what fits your needs, and let others do the same.

What do you think iOS is? It is OS X mini. It is the same core OS with features removed for mobile.

Didn't know that... If you jail break an iOS device, can you have access to the terminal CLI? My iPad is jail broken, and I put a new keyboard on it (unlike others, I dislike the standard one), among other enhancements.

They are good phones, but if you pick up an iPhone 3 or an iPhone 4S, you've got nearly the same thing (aside from CPU/RAM). Even if I went iPhone 5, there is nothing there to make me upgrade from an iPhone 4 or less... They just seem to move at a much slower pace than Android does. Windows Phone is even bringing more to the table these days.

I love my iPad & iPhone, but the limitations of iOS is what has me looking at the Surface Pro. iPhone for work, Windows Phone for pleasure (home use). WP is a closed system, too, but the UI feels a lot better. Android, even unrooted, is a much more open system. Rooted, you have near complete freedom: custom ROM's, custom UI's, change almost anything. Power users dream. To be honest, the only phone that hasn't crashed on me is the Windows Phone, surprisingly (Microsoft and not crashing don't usually go together!). iPhone does rarely. Android has a lot.

BUT - I'd recommend an iPhone over Android for most people. Even limited, it's a better phone for most people. They don't need the custom ROM's or freedom. Windows Phone is good, but not as good as the other two yet (for me it is, but not for others). iOS is simple that my 2 year old niece and nephew can use it with no problems. Android... Not so much.

Whenever I'm using my Note II in public and notice someone playing with an I-Phone I feel sorry for them. Apple's screen is pathetically puny, they look like a child's device. And I think they look damn bulky considering their proportions.

Back