iPhone 5 is officially the worlds most powerful phone

LTE is pretty damn amazing -- I've been enjoying it for over a year now on my Galaxy Nexus.

I sometimes seriously wonder how many apple fanatics are quite literally pleasuring themselves whilst holding at or looking at the phone, thinking the entire time how Apple was so smart to come out with something that's been in existence for a while.

Maybe turning 30 has something to do with it, but for all the power the iphone5 is supposed to have GPU wise, how many are out there playing these uber awesome 3D games on a regular basis? I have a few games on my phone, but the idea of downloading some super involved 3D sexy looking game and playing it on a tiny ass screen (yes 4" is tiny relative to real PC or console gaming) just sounds boring and stupid to me.

If I feel the need to game on my phone it's because I have 3 minutes to kill waiting in line, not because I want to admire the 12X AA super ultra texture rendered 500MB game on my phone.

I would like to see what numbers the S3 puts up once a open source community like RootzWiki gets their hands on the S3 source code.

Looks good, the GPU is of course where Apple put most of their eggs in their basket (probably the most efficient way).

I hope the other SOC makers spend a bit more time upgrading their integrated gpu's in the future. They have great CPU performance but on the GPU side (which can offload some stuff from the CPU) is rather weak sauce. We will have to see how the Adreno 320 fares against it in the near future.

Also I was trying to figure out wtf a Xolo was, until Anand mentioned Intel and Medfield together. Damn india getting a cool phone like that!

Holy Sh--

30ikt5i.jpg

Loving this phone

Guys, maybe there's one thing we can all agree on: I wish Apple and Android phones weren't all being subsidized in the US. $650 for a phone with $200 in hardware? And I bet the best Android devices are the exact same. I wish the phone manufacturers would stop using carrier subsidies to hide the true cost of their devices so they can milk us consumers.

The reason I'm writing all this is because I'm on prepaid with PagePlus. The iPhone5 and the Galaxy S III both must be smooth as hell compared to my HTC Incredible (running CyanogenMod), but at this rate I'm never going to own one because they're so damn expensive. :mad:

There's no good reason why these phones should sell for more than legit tablets. But more power to you if you can afford one.

Except that Google is awesome and instead of raping consumers, sells the Galaxy Nexus for $350 straight up! https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

And no they're not the exact same, but many are indeed similar.

What about benchmarks where the iPhone5 loses? I'll wait for the links..thanks.

Can you benchmark real life? You should try. I'm pretty sure analyzing benchmark apps misses the forest for the trees. What good is a fast processor if I can get my camera open faster than you every time with my windows phone? Hardware specs don't tell the full story and this is how a "faster phone" can still be slower at tasks.

[H]....benchmarks doesn't matter. Freaking LOL....

Serious question, how much does Apple pay you? You ONLY post in threads that relate to Apple and always denounce everything that is not Apple. I don't mind that you like iOS, but seriously, it's like you think iOS is God and everything else is shit.

Can you benchmark real life? You should try. I'm pretty sure analyzing benchmark apps misses the forest for the trees. What good is a fast processor if I can get my camera open faster than you every time with my windows phone? Hardware specs don't tell the full story and this is how a "faster phone" can still be slower at tasks.

Since ios5.1 with the camera slider i can beat you on iphone. Microsoft kept losing that one to iphones so now not offered anymore on smoked challenge.

Since ios5.1 with the camera slider i can beat you on iphone. Microsoft kept losing that one to iphones so now not offered anymore on smoked challenge.
The dated xperia S with 2 year old hardware can take a quick photo faster, easier and with more stability than the iphone 5

*Yawn*

You like iOS and iPhone5(or 4s ?), good for you. I like Android and my GS3, good for me. Now let's stfu and respect each others opinions, this also goes for everyone hating on Apple in this thread, not just you.

Yeah. It's like caring what car someone else is driving. 99% of people don't care.

Well I would hope its improved. I don't have much experience taking photos with the 4S but with my wife's 4 it was horrible. Taking pictures of a wired 2 year old was mayhem and I was forced to use my 2 year old Atrix, which takes "ok" photos, a bit grainy but they aren't bad. I'm not framing these anyways :p

I would hope that the MS phones weren't as bad but if any phones can take a photo faster then my Atrix which I am accustomed to I think I could be happy with either. And holy god the S3 took fast photos...

When will we get real world comparison instead of numbers?

Cause frankly, I know 1700>1600 but how about browser lunch time, start up time, photo quality, ect? Kinda looking into buying a smartphone so...

As far as GPU performance goes the synthetic benchmarks clearly indicate that the iPhone 5 is capable of offering better real world performance. If you want a phone that you can also play games on the iPhone has really always been the best choice due to GPU horsepower and the software library.

As far as CPU performance, I don't think the iPhone 5 really offers much beyond current android phones.

I was personally waiting to see the GPU benchmarks before jumping on the iPhone 5. After seeing the results it's obvious that the iPhone 5 will have some damn good looking games running on it.

If gaming weren't one of my priorities for a smartphone i'd likely get something like the One X though.

Congratulations you missed the point (surprise). What made that faster? A faster processor? A faster camera? Software? Interface? Also don't you have to turn it on first still teehee.

Last edited:
I expected Android fans to claim that there will be an Android phone out soon that beats this.

But that is missing the point,

iOS does more with less. Thats why a 4S, with waaaay less power than an S3, could keep up.

Now we have a phone with supercharged hardware, still running the super efficient iOS.

Even if an Android phone comes out that scores 2500, it still wont match the iPhone 5 in real world performance.

Sucks to be an Androiud fan right now. Losing out on both raw power AND efficiency.

At least you have copy and paste now which only took apple how many iterations to implement?

First people were obsessed with benchmarks until we figured out they werent really that telling. Now we talk about real world performance which is better, but then you think about it and realize that your real world performance concerns are only because you need to fix your angry birds cravings, because as far as real world performance, the iphone doesnt email, text, google search, web surf, or take pictures any better than its competitors do. Those are real world tasks.

Heres another "real world scenario.". You drop your phone and your glass cracks. Lol.

At least you have copy and paste now which only took apple how many iterations to implement?

First people were obsessed with benchmarks until we figured out they werent really that telling. Now we talk about real world performance which is better, but then you think about it and realize that your real world performance concerns are only because you need to fix your angry birds cravings, because as far as real world performance, the iphone doesnt email, text, google search, web surf, or take pictures any better than its competitors do. Those are real world tasks.

Heres another "real world scenario.". You drop your phone and your glass cracks. Lol.

It's allready been tested that the iPhone 5 holds up better then the S3 does.

The S3 is by no means the only android phone, but people bashing the iPhone 5 (Or even the older versions) for breaking really easy are just outright wrong. Numerous unbiased tests have shown that the iPhones (While they may *appear* to break easier) hold up just as good as the competition. This is different from surface scratches, mind you; We are talking about outright breaking.

And the statement from people saying the 'iPhone does more with less' is also wrong.

It's doing the exact same thing but in just a different way of doing it. The Android based phones typically have more CPU grunt. The iPhones have always had way more GPU grunt. Given the more controlled nature of iOS they can then utilize all that GPU power to do what needs to be done.

Buy the phone that you want for the price that you want. To suggest that either the entire Android ecosystem or the entire iOS ecosystem is better then the other in every way is shockingly inept. Each one is better at certain things. If I wanted the best camera on a smartphone it sure as shit ain't going to be an android or iOS device as it is.

Buy the phone that you want for the price that you want. To suggest that either the entire Android ecosystem or the entire iOS ecosystem is better then the other in every way is shockingly inept. Each one is better at certain things. If I wanted the best camera on a smartphone it sure as shit ain't going to be an android or iOS device as it is.

Nicely said. ;)

Congratulations you missed the point (surprise). What made that faster? A faster processor? A faster camera? Software? Interface? Also don't you have to turn it on first still teehee.

I can see where this is heading. My OS is better because it takes 2 clicks to do something versus your OS where the same action takes 3.

I can see where this is heading. My OS is better because it takes 2 clicks to do something versus your OS where the same action takes 3.

The point is that after a certain bar is reached speed really starts to be relative. PCs hit this awhile back. There's absolutely no point in crowing about faster hardware if it doesn't actually speed up/improve actual tasks. My car is faster than your car even though we both go the speed limit!

Basically if you asked a bunch of iPhone users what they wanted to see in the next version, how many do you think said "God this 4s is slow please make it faster!" Rather than improve on the areas they are lacking they just suped it up so that they could say they did "something".

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16...r-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/

Sorry phandroids, gone are the days of claiming hardware superiority over the iPhone.

The funny thing is, the 4S scores in the 700 range, and still keeps up with a SGS3 due to iOS6 optimizations. Now we are getting a phone that not only has more raw computing power than the GS3, the software is still just as optimized. It'll take a octo core at 3ghz for Android to match this iPhone in real world tasks.

Some people have gotten their GS3 to top this score, but the average for all GS3s is in the 1500s.

iPhone: Even beats Android tablets in raw horsepower.

EDIT:
And what do we have here? Validation of all my claims:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/apples_iphone_5_is_fastest_smartphone_in_the_land

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

This is by far the dumbest thread on these forums right now. The entire content of the OP is written by a fanboy, and is written in such a way to incite other silly fanboys to riot. Key phrases bolded above are the ones intent on starting a fanboy flamefest. I'm actuallly surprised somone managed to out troll the fanboy's in the video card forum.

Congrats OP, you successfully trolled the forum.:rolleyes:

This is by far the dumbest thread on these forums right now. The entire content of the OP is written by a fanboy, and is written in such a way to incite other silly fanboys to riot. Key phrases bolded above are the ones intent on starting a fanboy flamefest. I'm actuallly surprised somone managed to out troll the fanboy's in the video card forum.

Congrats OP, you successfully trolled the forum.:rolleyes:

I would agree if not for the Android trolls here that also deny reality. The same people who harp about open source this and that. The same people who think flashing a ROM is a technical achievement. Basically the people who harp on Linux, but would not run Linux as a full time OS.

There is some truth in what the OP is saying, but technology marches on. There are also people here who question what will Apple do when nVidia releases Kepler. See? Another set of dumbasses.

no wait but the next generation of android phones is going to [size=+2]BLOW YOU AWAY[/size].

Just read the first few posts on this thread...its too big and I won't bother, but I will just say that this post made me laugh since it's really common to hear among my friends that use android.

But wait, "X" is going to announce their new phones soon!!! :p

Wait till "insert dessert here", that one is going to be AWESOME.

It is a technical achievement.....problem?

As a guy who writes offline utilities that actually WRITE firmware, yeah, it's not a technical achievement for the people who double clicked on an exe. But surely, you must be talking about the less than 1% of people who write the tools right?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

wow, the iphone 5 beats the galaxy s3.

but then i was shocked that the iphone 4s beats the galaxy s3 as well.

wtf? why is samsung us carrier hardware so slow? did it launch stateside like 3 years ago?

Apple has been putting many of it's eggs in the GPU basket for a long time. Apple haters don't want to admit that, but it's true. The Adreno 320 looked good in the brief tests where it was included.

As a guy who writes offline utilities that actually WRITE firmware, yeah, it's not a technical achievement for the people who double clicked on an exe. But surely, you must be talking about the less than 1% of people who write the tools right?

As a guy who has actually cooked up custom ROM's for one of the early Android phones (Moto Cliq, 1.5 Donut - 2.1 Eclair), flashing custom ROM's, installing custom recoveries, using RSD lite in case of a soft brick, playing around with bootloaders by using cross-hashed zip updates from similar hardware based phones in the same line of phones, typing a story of ADB commands to commit custom ROM flashing and making sure you don't mistype one line of two similar kinds due to possible hard bricking, ROM flashing then was not as easy as the process of doing it today as most things, if not , all are simplified.

There was a 80% chance that you had to learn a whole lot of commands to flash something back then. These day's and thanks to dev's, the process is simplistic, as you said, download an exe, attach phone and make sure development mode settings are on, click exe, let the process begin > continue till end whether be it a root process or custom recovery image etc, is a whole lot different to what user's on 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 had to do.

While it isn't a technical achievement such as writing a complete program that would compile and execute, but it is sort of a technical achievement at the end of the day. (A good feeling one too, if you don't manage to brick your phone).

Last edited:
Um, what's the point of all that hardware horsepower if the features aren't there. GS3 is more feature packed, sorry.

Back