iPhone 5 is officially the worlds most powerful phone

Just to put these benches in general in perspective.

The baseline for the Geekbench site is a G5 @ 1.5 GHZ scoring 1000 points.
The new Iphone gets 1601.
The 3S gets a 1755.
The 1S gets a 1421.

The normalized score would be:
A G5 @ 2.4 GHZ
A G5 @ 2.6 GHZ
A G5 @ 2.1GHZ

I doubt 2-300 MHZ is going to bust the doors off anything.

Also well trolled OP.

damn

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.

Yeah, and those pesky Storage expansion slots just keep getting in the damned way too :(

I expected Android fans to claim that there will be an Android phone out soon that beats this.

But that is missing the point,

iOS does more with less. Thats why a 4S, with waaaay less power than an S3, could keep up.

Now we have a phone with supercharged hardware, still running the super efficient iOS.

Even if an Android phone comes out that scores 2500, it still wont match the iPhone 5 in real world performance.

Sucks to be an Androiud fan right now. Losing out on both raw power AND efficiency.

Just to put these benches in general in perspective.

The baseline for the Geekbench site is a G5 @ 1.5 GHZ scoring 1000 points.
The new Iphone gets 1601.
The 3S gets a 1755.
The 1S gets a 1421.

The normalized score would be:
A G5 @ 2.4 GHZ
A G5 @ 2.6 GHZ
A G5 @ 2.1GHZ

I doubt 2-300 MHZ is going to bust the doors off anything.

Also well trolled OP.

49915.png

Oh snappy snap

trollololol

And just because you posted that graph: A phone with a brand new processor that was designed to address shortcomings inherent to the Cortex A9 design outperforms the A9? My jaw just dropped through the floor

trollololol

And just because you posted that graph: A phone with a brand new processor that was designed to address shortcomings inherent to the Cortex A9 design outperforms the A9? My jaw just dropped through the floor

Minimalize all you want, the iPhone5 is king.

Minimalize all you want, the iPhone5 is king.

Yeah so what? In a few weeks/months it won't be anymore. Then it will be. Then it won't be. Just like we've seen since 2007.

Oh, enjoy the new Apple Maps btw. They're getting "rave" reviews compared to the Google Maps they replaced. :rolleyes:

A King that millions don't want, King of that place over there. Good job!

Pretty sure a phone with 2 million preorders that will likely sell 6+ million it's first week is something people want.

Yea, more people than any other phone.

Single phone model, because Apple can't make more than one phone to please all their customers apparently which is why so many don't get THE KING IPHONE. How does that make you feel about yourself?

I know this thread started out and has continued to be a "my epeen is bigger than yours" battle, so I could really care less about benchmarks and performance.

I do have to give Apple credit for the battery life improvements and also the display quality (if it is as good or better than the 4S). Those two things still have me on the fence about going with a GS3 over the iPhone5. Performance... not so much as both phones can accomplish what they need to do in a reasonable timeframe. Fractions of seconds faster doesn't really mean anything to me, and of course I fully expect a newly released phone to be faster than something that has been on the market a couple months already.

So at the moment, I'll give nods to Apple for battery and screen. For GS3 I'll give them nods for storage expansion, replaceable battery, NFC, USB device access, and inductive charging (even if I do think it is silly to have to purchase a charging mat AND a special inductive back for the phone). OS wise, having used both on a daily basis (iPhone 3GS and HP Touchpad running ICS), I find both OS's just as usable and intuitive as the other.

Now I just have to decide which features are more important for ME... and not care what either camp claims about being "most powerful".

49915.png

Oh snappy snap

Again the gains we are seeing is .3 seconds for loading.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I'm just saying that these gains are minimal at best.

So its kinda pointless one way or the other to boast about such small jumps.

Clearly your trolling but hey that's what the internet was made for.

I know this thread started out and has continued to be a "my epeen is bigger than yours" battle, so I could really care less about benchmarks and performance.

I do have to give Apple credit for the battery life improvements and also the display quality (if it is as good or better than the 4S). Those two things still have me on the fence about going with a GS3 over the iPhone5. Performance... not so much as both phones can accomplish what they need to do in a reasonable timeframe. Fractions of seconds faster doesn't really mean anything to me, and of course I fully expect a newly released phone to be faster than something that has been on the market a couple months already.

So at the moment, I'll give nods to Apple for battery and screen. For GS3 I'll give them nods for storage expansion, replaceable battery, NFC, USB device access, and inductive charging (even if I do think it is silly to have to purchase a charging mat AND a special inductive back for the phone). OS wise, having used both on a daily basis (iPhone 3GS and HP Touchpad running ICS), I find both OS's just as usable and intuitive as the other.

Now I just have to decide which features are more important for ME... and not care what either camp claims about being "most powerful".

Hey now...let's not start with logic. This is a forum. Logic has no place here!

I fully agree with you, and yes I know I've been labeled a troll apple lover by this group, but really the only reason I started this thread was because I kept hearing Android fans rave about hardware superiority.

It was really a devils advocate thread against those people. As far as my true feelings, yeah get what works best for you for sure.

Bingo buddy.

Apple makes three phone models.

Are you counting different storage sizes or different carriers as different phones? What am I missing here?

I fully agree with you, and yes I know I've been labeled a troll apple lover by this group, but really the only reason I started this thread was because I kept hearing Android fans rave about hardware superiority.

It was really a devils advocate thread against those people. As far as my true feelings, yeah get what works best for you for sure.

But but what about only one being King? Surely only one phone fits everyone's needs! You realize you've completely turned about now. You got mad at people and then did the same thing they were doing that made you mad, but now you are reasonable? Thanks I guess.

The only reason is that I see so many Android lovers creaming their pants about quad core 1.5ghz processors, etc. Never considering that those numbers might not matter when it comes to real world performance, and trying to criticize the iPhone for having a lower mhz number.

Now, the iPhone5 crushes the competition, including the quad core S3. And what do we see?

Minimization from the android fans.

Not surprising.

Yeah this is hilarious. The iphone has been repeatedly bashed for having low specs and 'playing catch up'. Now it might actually be faster and suddenly the 'WHO CARES?' crowd just came out of nowhere.

Yeah this is hilarious. The iphone has been repeatedly bashed for having low specs and 'playing catch up'. Now it might actually be faster and suddenly the 'WHO CARES?' crowd just came out of nowhere.

It's not even that. It is because people make it seem like it is the most amazing thing that has ever come out. It doesn't add anything new to the table. The only reason everyone got wet about the GS3 is because it was the first phone to have 2GB. What does the iPhone 5 have? LTE, got that a while ago, a good dual core...got that while ago...you see, it's great and all, but it doesn't make sense to call it the best thing since sliced bread.

-Posts this article / stirs the pot because "Android lovers cream their pants and blab MHz numbers / bash I phone"

-Does the exact same thing against Android users that's causing him to post nonsense.

/agree. This is why some people never grow up. Embarrassing really, I hate drama queens. Why can't people just get along and stop coveting what others have. This process will always be like this and is largely at people's subjection. The key is realizing this and stop being so damn greedy/boastful, you only make yourself worse. You can be better than this.

Recommend thread close. The subject to begin with was never started with the intention of being objective.

Last edited:
...How old is the op?

I agree with u guys as well. This thread just smells of troll. The thread title alone gives it away. So this guy is in charge of officiating to the world the iphone's power?

It doesn't sound like he actually knows what he's talking about down to the hardware level. He is just generalizing it and posting other people's references and unsupported graphs.

I found a few faults alone in just the first page about the stats he's giving and comparison's he's making. "jb doesnt count since its not out yet"....seriously...? That is one of the most idiotic.. sigh. Just because it doesn't come through Sammy's tool doesn't mean you're allowed to not use and discredit it. Just throw out gingerbread entirely since not all androids run it. Compare the unrealeased ios6 to android 1.0! And the generalizations about the Java tick graph you showed...

..really? Do you know how the Java webkit actually works?

..thats enough. I'm sorry, said more than I should have. Troll thread, including this, end point.

I am far from an Apple fan, but lets give credit where its due. Apple's has the luxury of tightly integrating the OS and hardware which other phone makers/oem's cannot do. They also had some input into the design of the A6, if the battery life in real world usage really is that much better, then its a good thing.

You see the benefits of native code and tight control over the platform in both iOS and WP, which can do more with the same hardware than Android. Google tends to follow a different approach, making the OS more customizable, and only recently did they start focusing on optimizing the OS itself.

The tiny differences in JavaScript benchmarks are irrelevant - you won't notice that in daily use, and its very likely those differences are due to the software.

The OP comes across as bashing Android and praising iPhone for having superior benchmarks. There are tons of other features iPhone still lacks compared to e.g. the S3/OneX. And as for the battery, lets not forget the screen is a huge draw, and iPhone 5 has the smallest screen.

...How old is the op?

I agree with u guys as well. This thread just smells of troll. The thread title alone gives it away. So this guy is in charge of officiating to the world the iphone's power?

It doesn't sound like he actually knows what he's talking about down to the hardware level. He is just generalizing it and posting other people's references and unsupported graphs.

I found a few faults alone in just the first page about the stats he's giving and comparison's he's making. "jb doesnt count since its not out yet"....seriously...? That is one of the most idiotic.. sigh. Just because it doesn't come through Sammy's tool doesn't mean you're allowed to not use and discredit it. Just throw out gingerbread entirely since not all androids run it. Compare the unrealeased ios6 to android 1.0! And the generalizations about the Java tick graph you showed...

..really? Do you know how the Java webkit actually works?

..thats enough. I'm sorry, said more than I should have. Troll thread, including this, end point.

iOS 6 was released today. FYI.

I will have to say ocellaris. Lamperouge and xIronCrossx were right on that part. I found that strange too. At the time of his posting, it wasn't released. I believe Lamperouge was talking about that.

Anywho. Re-quoting myself.

Recommend thread close. The subject to begin with was never started with the intention of being objective.

Thank you for being logical McCrispy! I agree with everything you said. That is indeed the benefit of a closed system. But I think the benefits of an open system outweighs closed systems in some aspects. It's key to innovation and future improvements.... I really do think it's the future.

Minus the op's bloat part. It doesn't take long to see his arguments to tell this.

It's not even that. It is because people make it seem like it is the most amazing thing that has ever come out. It doesn't add anything new to the table. The only reason everyone got wet about the GS3 is because it was the first phone to have 2GB. What does the iPhone 5 have? LTE, got that a while ago, a good dual core...got that while ago...you see, it's great and all, but it doesn't make sense to call it the best thing since sliced bread.

Show me the good A15 based dual core thats out other than iPhone5

Apple improved upon the A15 architechture, which is making its debut in iP5. Thats why its such an achievement.

1st with low power unified LTE chip
1st with A15 architechture
1st with all that in a 7.6mm phone
1st with reasonable LTE battery life w/o jumbo 3300mah battery that takes 2 days to charge

Lots of 1sts here

Show me the good A15 based dual core thats out other than iPhone5

Apple improved upon the A15 architechture, which is making its debut in iP5. Thats why its such an achievement.

1st with low power unified LTE chip
1st with A15 architechture
1st with all that in a 7.6mm phone
1st with reasonable LTE battery life w/o jumbo 3300mah battery that takes 2 days to charge

Lots of 1sts here

It is NOT A15. It is a highly polished A9. This has already been posted about many times across the Internet. Just like S4 is NOT A15.

It is NOT A15. It is a highly polished A9. This has already been posted about many times across the Internet. Just like S4 is NOT A15.

Current consensus is A15 based. It uses ARMv7s instructions. Only A15 can use those:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6292/iphone-5-a6-not-a15-custom-core

Key quote:
"What's the main difference between the armv7 and armv7s architecture targets for the LLVM C compiler? The presence of VFPv4 support. The armv7s target supports it, the v7 target doesn't. Why does this matter?

Only the Cortex A5, A7 and A15 support the VFPv4 extensions to the ARMv7-A ISA. The Cortex A8 and A9 top out at VFPv3. If you want to get really specific, the Cortex A5 and A7 implement a 16 register VFPv4 FPU, while the A15 features a 32 register implementation. The point is, if your architecture supports VFPv4 then it isn't a Cortex A8 or A9.

It's pretty easy to dismiss the A5 and A7 as neither of those architectures is significantly faster than the Cortex A9 used in Apple's A5. The obvious conclusion then is Apple implemented a pair of A15s in its A6 SoC.

For unpublishable reasons, I knew the A6 SoC wasn't based on ARM's Cortex A9, but I immediately assumed that the only other option was the Cortex A15. I foolishly cast aside the other major possibility: an Apple developed ARMv7 processor core."

Funny how people keep saying that its apparent I dont know my hardware, when my hardware claims are the only ones holding water in this thread.

deleted...see below post. multi-tasking epic fail and now the kid is going up the stairs...

Last edited:
Sorry, big LOL moment. Trying my best to stay out of all this. You make it so hard.

Yeah and right now I feel like an ass. That's the last time I try to read, post, take care of the 11 month old, and cook at the same time.

All boils down to prefrence. If you get in my face saying your IP5 is better than my non-existant GS3 (because I own a fast ass VOYAGER) then you have a problem. Doesn't matter if it is better or not because as with everything, the best always gets replaced by something better. I personally like Android because I don't feel like anything is locked down from the factory. So therefore I would get an Android because I like the OS better, I also like the screen size. So stfu about all this performance bullsh*t because it all comes down to what an individual likes better after weighing the benefits and costs of owning one or the other.

Back