iPhone 4s earpiece volume problem ~ apple phone tech support question

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Bought my 4s on the first day they were for sale here in town, as my previous 3s had gotten wet just a few days prior, and I needed a phone....

Everything was fine and good for the first 2 weeks or so, then iOS5.01 came out, updated the phone, and a few days later after connecting it via bluetooth to a car stereo ~ bam, the earpiece volume was probably 15% of what it originally was. Phone works fine otherwise, but I have had to talk to everyone on speakerphone for the last month and a half... Anyone else get this bug?

Did plenty of research via the oracle of google, seems to be an issue with some of the early release models....apple doesn't "officially" recognize the problem. Tried all the "fixes" people have come up with, and no dice.

The AT&T store where I bought the phone won't replace it, they directed me to the apple store. Ugh. I have been in one before...yikes....not someplace I was looking forward to spending any time in. I certainly don't own enough pairs of $300 jeans, scarves, or expensive hair product to occupy that small slice of hell...not to mention it is at the local mall. Every ounce of me screams RUN!!!

So I decided to give the tech line a try and see what happens instead, and, after a 25 minute hold time, I spoke with a tech who wasn't reading from a script or cleaning his ear with a drillbit. He waved the 30$ something dollar tech fee, realized I knew what I was talking about, and gave me one additional thing to try to ensure it is a hardware failure and not software.

Needless to say I tried his suggestion after hanging up (involved having to put iTunes on my pc....ewwwww) and it did not work. But he assured me they would replace my phone at no charge. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear...the damn thing was $799.

I'll have to wait to call tomorrow, but I am curious if anyone has done this sort of thing before with apple? Are they going to ship me a new phone, and I ship mine when I get it? Surely they cannot expect me to go without a phone while they wait on mine arriving....

I'll find out soon enough, but coming from someone who has delt with many pc companies over the phone through the years, I must admit the customer service and general is certainly above average so far, and it was nice to talk to someone who wasnt some stoned 19 year old calling me dude every 5 minutes.

I won't be buying any apple computers anytime soon, but they still have me hooked on their iPhones.

Dude....you should have just gone o the apple store....you'd have walked out with a new phone.....assuming they could not find a problem with the one you have.

I walked in, long enough to find out I needed to make an appointment to get any help. Heh. Not to mention it was full to the ceiling with mall goers. My work schedule kinda prevents me from making an appointment.... and honestly that rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Not really rational I know, but....eh.

Eating a razorblade sandwich > going to the mall.

So your social issues and clinging to old stereotypes about people that shop at Apple stores are Apples fault? Right. Apples tech support is legendary, heaven forbid you have to make an appointment because Apple actually wants to reserve a block of time to work one on one with you to remedy your problem...WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!

I don't want to sound like a fanboy...because I'm not...I use a wide range of devices and mainly do sos to get work done.....

...but the one time I had to use apple support I found it to be the absolute best experience I have ever had....

My $720 iPad 2 stopped rotating the screen when I changed the orientation of the tablet. This happened on a Monday night. I tried everything I could think of...went to the iPad forum and tried everything the posters there could think of....the next morning I decided to look for an apple store...found out that we have one right here in the mall (I'm not a mall goer but I don't have any social issues with the mall--- I just find I get better prices elsewhere so I have very little reason to go to a mall). Anyway...I went online, found I could make an appointment that way...did so...then showed up at the allocated time...Sat down at the genius bar...chatted with some other Apple users (who were very nice, too). Eventually my genius came (a youngish girl with lots of ear-rings and stuff)...I told her the problem...she went about the business of demonstrating the problem. She did several things to the ipad and finally wiped it clean and reinstalled the OS. After that, it still didn't work right, she made the decision that the unit was defective and just went in the back and got me a brand new iPad 2. No hassles, done in 20 minutes. Oh...the guy next to me had brought in his wife's iPad 1 and just said it stopped turning on...the same genius worked on this...and he ended up getting a new iPad 1 (he had apple care, I didn't (I have square trade warranty) but I was well within the 1-year warranty).

Like I said before, I have never had such a painless and actually enjoyable experience with support for a product. I have a brand new device in way less than 24 hours. Zero friggin hassle too.

When iPad 3 comes out, I will probably get apple care on it. Heck I might even add apple care on my iPad 2....but I need to think about that some more....I have until march 11 (I think) to make the decision).

Imagine if this had been an issue with Verizon Wireless? I can imagine the headache of getting a repair done with them. Or Lenovo...or Acer.

It's too bad that people act against their own best interest sometimes.

So your social issues and clinging to old stereotypes about people that shop at Apple stores are Apples fault? Right. Apples tech support is legendary, heaven forbid you have to make an appointment because Apple actually wants to reserve a block of time to work one on one with you to remedy your problem...WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!

lol! The fact that apple sells a popular product that interests lots of people is not someones "fault". Good for them, go go go competition! As previously stated my work schedule makes it damn hard to set an appointment. The place was JAMMED wall to wall with people, and quite frankly anything in a shopping mall is just the last place in the world id rather hang out and wait. The post was ment to be kinda tongue in cheek,,,,,, :rolleyes: Therefore i'll be using the phone support.

Last time I called Apple it went something like this:

Me: This MacBook doesn't boot from the hard drive or even DVD drive
Apple: That sounds like a hardware issue. Take it to the Apple store
Me: 300 miles round-trip!
Apple: Let me check... that's correct
Me: Can I mail it in? Ship me a box?
Apple: No.
Me: But the terms of the warranty say...
Apple: Go to the Apple store

Last time I went to the Apple store:

Yea there's an issue. Tough luck, hope for a software update. 2 software updates later (27 iOS versions) later, issue is still present.

Last time I called Apple it went something like this:

Me: This MacBook doesn't boot from the hard drive or even DVD drive
Apple: That sounds like a hardware issue. Take it to the Apple store
Me: 300 miles round-trip!
Apple: Let me check... that's correct
Me: Can I mail it in? Ship me a box?
Apple: No.
Me: But the terms of the warranty say...
Apple: Go to the Apple store

Last time I went to the Apple store:

Yea there's an issue. Tough luck, hope for a software update. 2 software updates later (27 iOS versions) later, issue is still present.

Where did you buy it?

Quick followup ~

Finally had time to make an appointment at the apple store. Arrived exactly on time, was talking with a "genius" within 3 minutes (lmfao I thought that was a joke, I cant believe thats actually what they are called) ~ provided him with my reference number from the phone support, explained the problem, and had a brand new 64 gig 4s in my hand and out the door in all of about 5 minutes. I think it took me longer to wade through the consumer cesspit of the mall leaving than it did to get a new phone.

A++ thumbs up experience as far as customer support goes.

Back