iPhone 4S and iPad 2 on iOS5 jailbroken

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
MuscleNerd_iPhone4S_Jailbreak1.PNG

MuscleNerd_iPhone4S_Jailbreak.PNG

Musclenerd (iphone jailbreak dev) tweeted proof of an iphone 4S and ipad2 jailbreak recently. It might still be a little ways off yet, as it's still an early beta, but at least it's been done. Figured a lot of folks here would be happy to hear this

what will this do for me and my sprint iphone 4s? Will I be able to tether for free?

what will this do for me and my sprint iphone 4s? Will I be able to tether for free?

Yes sir. Tethering, among other things

PDANet was actually just updated for iOS5 a few days ago. It's nice too because it has the ability to hide tethering usage from your service provider. So if Sprint ever goes the route of AT&T you're covered :)

Sprint is supposed to be moving away from unlimited plans like Verizon did recently which I think means that you can expect them to look for tethering and send you nice little notices letting you know that if you keep it up, you will be billed for it and enrolled in a tethering plan.

My tethering wouldn't be very often, just on those rare occasions that I happen to be out somewhere and need internet for my Touchpad or laptop. $30/mo to be able to tether a handful of times/mo is not worth it to me.

I hear ya, I use the WiFi hotspot on my phone a couple of hours a week, that's about it. I picked up a Palm Pre Plus from Verizon a couple of years ago and I'm sticking with it for some time to come until they can replace it any longer. The deal at the time was that you got free tethering via the WiFi hotspot app for the life of the device. If and when I switch phones, I will be forced to pay another $25 or so for tethering. So basically, I would pay $35 a month for unlimited data and $20 a month to use the same connection with my tablet. Fuck that. As much as I want shiney new things like an iPhone or some cool ass Android phone, I won't get much more value out of it. Since iPhone went dual core, I want one. Maybe iPhone 5 will be the one to make me switch.

Why do people still do this?

3 years ago when the iPhone lacked some critical features, yeah okay I understood it. Now it seems the only reasons to do this are to steal tethering and pirate apps.

Why do people still do this?

3 years ago when the iPhone lacked some critical features, yeah okay I understood it. Now it seems the only reasons to do this are to steal tethering and pirate apps.

If you have to ask, then it's probably not for you. There are still lots of things that iOS lacks (or doesn't do well) that jailbreaking provides.

If you have to ask, then it's probably not for you. There are still lots of things that iOS lacks (or doesn't do well) that jailbreaking provides.

You didn't answer the question.

It's a simple bullet-pointed list. And right now the only two items I can see on the list are "steal tethering" and "pirate apps." Maybe also custom themes if you're into that kind of thing.

It's a simple bullet-pointed list. And right now the only two items I can see on the list are "steal tethering" and "pirate apps." Maybe also custom themes if you're into that kind of thing.

The list is much to large to go through one by one. However, the most popular are:

-Safari Download Manager & Safari Upload Enabler (Native file uploading and downloading support via mobile safari)
-iFile (complete file system managment).
-OpenSSH (native SSH & FTP functionality not just a restricted document folders)
-Winterboard (themes, if you're into that sort of thing)
-Various OS tweaks (adding more functionality to the multi-tasking tray, status bar & notification drawer)
-Sbsettings (convenient toggles, now in the notification drawer... gives you the ability to change settings on the fly without exiting the current app and going into the settings app)
-Ringtones (there are thousands of ringtones avalible for free on Cydia. No need to make your own and sync them to the phone)
-MobileTermal (self explanitory)
-AdBlocker (self explanitory)
-Attachment saver (Allows you to save ANY kind of attachment from the email app and with ifile, can view/edit/move/copy/etc)
-FirewalliP- (a native firewall app)
-Emulators
-iBlacklist (blacklist annoying/blocked/unlisted phone numbers... great for telemarketers and psycho ex-girlfriends)
-iProtect (password protect individual apps)
-LockInfo (display specific information on the lock screen)
-Cyntact (adds more functionality to contacts)
-3G Unrestrictor (makes the phone/apps think that you're on wifi to remove artificial limitations imposed by using a 3G connection)
-USBDrive (allows you to mount your phone for use as a generic USB flash drive... don't need itunes installed to use it on a PC)

and that's really just the tip of the iceberg. There are literally thousands of tweaks to make it not only more functional, but also to make your phone/ipad/itouch work exactly the way that you want.

Don't forget BiteSMS! It's quite possibly my favorite SMS app. I also love all the silly tweaks and customizations. It makes my phone more personal and like me. Jailbreaking is really awesome.

JB is essential on a iDevice, that's a nice list above. All of that can be done without root on Android :) but not WP7.

I can't wait for this to come out.

The list is much to large to go through one by one. However, the most popular are:

and that's really just the tip of the iceberg. There are literally thousands of tweaks to make it not only more functional, but also to make your phone/ipad/itouch work exactly the way that you want.
Hmm, thank you for that. :) I've got a jailbroken AppleTV but I never realized there were so many positives as far as jailbreaking the iphone goes. What are the downsides?

I am personally still waiting for the GPS fix for 3gs 6.15 baseband :) But good new nonetheless.

Hmm, thank you for that. :) I've got a jailbroken AppleTV but I never realized there were so many positives as far as jailbreaking the iphone goes. What are the downsides?

There aren't many downsides to jailbreaking. There are the occasional tweaks that are coded poorly that tend to be unstable or cause memory leaks, but for the most part it's all positive.

Subtle trolling is best trolling.

Can't wait! Well I guess I have to since this jailbreak is a month or 2 away I'm guessing and my phone is 3-4 weeks backordered. Hopefully it all times out though. Stock iOS is so limited in functionality for me.

I heard 5.0.1 is due soon due to issues in iOS 5 like battery drain. Is the JB being held back for that?

Glad you properly put him in his place, now hopefully he will not post anymore here.

-Safari Download Manager & Safari Upload Enabler (Native file uploading and downloading support via mobile safari)
-iFile (complete file system managment).
-OpenSSH (native SSH & FTP functionality not just a restricted document folders)
-Winterboard (themes, if you're into that sort of thing)
-Various OS tweaks (adding more functionality to the multi-tasking tray, status bar & notification drawer)
-Sbsettings (convenient toggles, now in the notification drawer... gives you the ability to change settings on the fly without exiting the current app and going into the settings app)
-Ringtones (there are thousands of ringtones avalible for free on Cydia. No need to make your own and sync them to the phone)
-MobileTermal (self explanitory)
-AdBlocker (self explanitory)
-Attachment saver (Allows you to save ANY kind of attachment from the email app and with ifile, can view/edit/move/copy/etc)
-FirewalliP- (a native firewall app)
-Emulators
-iBlacklist (blacklist annoying/blocked/unlisted phone numbers... great for telemarketers and psycho ex-girlfriends)
-iProtect (password protect individual apps)
-LockInfo (display specific information on the lock screen)
-Cyntact (adds more functionality to contacts)
-3G Unrestrictor (makes the phone/apps think that you're on wifi to remove artificial limitations imposed by using a 3G connection)
-USBDrive (allows you to mount your phone for use as a generic USB flash drive... don't need itunes installed to use it on a PC)

Full screen safari
Fakeclockup
BiteSMS
Activator
Springflash

Would jail breaking a regular iPhone 4 allow Siri to be installed on it?

yes. It's already been done actually, however they guy working on it can't get it to connect to apples servers for whatever reason. I'm sure it'll be fully ported eventually though

Back