iPhone 4S, a new... ehm... a "new" iFlop.

Incredible Camera? its ok, its the best one out there but I still don't or wouldn't use my phone as a Camera. Cool it incorporated better MODEMS but its still not LTE, no matter how you spin it. 64 GB's is cool if you actually want that, I don't know anyone who has an iPhone bigger then 8gb's.

I'm with you on the camera, that's a nice touch but if I want a good picture I'm going to plan it and have a tripod, my Cannon DSLR, proper lighting, etc etc etc - that joke of a camera just wont cut it for lasting memories. (Though when I'm going to the store and told "Pick me up a can of PB and make sure it's the right kind!" it's very nice to be able to go pull out the PB and snap a picture I can view on my phone at the store to be sure I got the right kind.

If I was going to carry a 2nd device for some reason to play music (or spend hours decideing which folders to sync), then I could use an 8gb iPhone. I have ~10-12 gb of music (depends on if you sync the music videos) so the minimum for me is a 16 (my iPod is actually 32gb) Of most of the people I know, I have the LEAST music, so I think (price aside) there's more of a market for the 64gb iPhone than for the 8gb one.

heatthegreat said:
They know the reason why they are selling iPhones is because of the software. People like the simplicity of it, they like the way the App icons are easy to read, they like the little touches that the Apple brand is famous for. They could careless if the iPhone had adobe flash, or a huge screen or had 1080p playback. It easy to pick up and use, thats why it sells. Unfortunately for the phone enthusiasts, you are not the target demographic to Apple. Just look at how many people own iPads with android phones. Software sales my friends.

This. (though I think a few of them want to say "my iphone plays 1080p! Nyah!" even though I think 2/3 or more of us could say "oh really? so does my android") The only reason I owned an iPad was that there wasnt an equivolent android. Now that there is, I dont own an iPad. The only reason I own an iPod is that I have yet to find a way to squeeze 40 hours of music from my EVO (well ok, I *might* be able to, but that would require me to make NO calls/SMS/browsing/etc)

Apple was first and best, but it focuses more on style than substance after the initial shock. So far all it's original majority markets have been or are being surpassed except in MP3 players (though some are arguing the iPad will remain king of the hill for now and most android tablets will be more "entry level" for a while still)

Hey guys but what happened to apple?
Steve Jobs is missing and apple is falling.

18 months of waiting for a "new" iphone 4 with no new interesting features with the same small screen and the same design and the same features with no LTE support ?
Apple shares are falling, many many many iphoners will switch to android due to this iFlop.

I'm an apple fan but I like to have the latest cutting edge phone, iFlop will be ridiculous when compared to Google Nexus Prime.
Sincerely at this point I prefer the Galaxy S2 also.

Steve jobs is dead and so did the iPhone:eek:

if apple just called it an iphone 5 and made a slight deference in case design.. no one would complain.. WHO CARES IF IT LOOKS LIKE THE iphone4!!!

ASSHOLE!S!!

This is a HUGE loss for Apple, Steve Jobs was their Obi-wan-Kenobi, and visionary for the future products to create, plus a great salesman on top of it. Don't know anyone that can fill his shoes the same way now.

The iPhone4S is ok, but not what Apple needs right now, they really needed that iPhone5 all new design, with larger screen, and other features, and now the death of their founder :(

Tough times ahead for Apple. I am sure the 4S will sell like hot cakes still, but I can see one to two years from now, they will decline, with Windows 8 phones being very competitive next year, and also Android-Jellybean.

This is a HUGE loss for Apple, Steve Jobs was their Obi-wan-Kenobi, and visionary for the future products to create, plus a great salesman on top of it. Don't know anyone that can fill his shoes the same way now.

The iPhone4S is ok, but not what Apple needs right now, they really needed that iPhone5 all new design, with larger screen, and other features, and now the death of their founder :(

Tough times ahead for Apple. I am sure the 4S will sell like hot cakes still, but I can see one to two years from now, they will decline, with Windows 8 phones being very competitive next year, and also Android-Jellybean.

if android can make a sweet phone, why can't apple.. who comes up with this stuff?

if android can make a sweet phone, why can't apple.. who comes up with this stuff?

Apple can make a beast of a phone, and better than the Nexus-Prime. But then why didn't they ? The iPhone4S is just a re-released iPhone4 with the least minor of improvements, but keeps their manufacturing costs low, to make the most money. It says they are more concerned with making the highest profit, than actually producing the worlds best up to date device. And all these new features in iOS5 could have easily been made for iOS4 last year, and should have, they are playing catch up now.

I understand in business you are in it to profit, but would have been mind blowing if they came out with the iPhone5 like the mockups showed. Oh well, maybe next year, but now since no new iPhone5, I am heavily looking at the next Nexus device, as are many other people. But if the new iPhone had the 4" screen...thinner and lighter...LED notification light...Widgets...I would definitely go back to Apple, but for the iPhone4S, no way

here's the difference I see so far:
my friend posted on her Facebook page that she wants a maple glazed bacon covered doughnut and who wanted to find one with her

according to all of the information out there, if I had Siri, I could say: "I want a maple a bacon covered doughnut when I leave work" and siri would cross reference yelp reviews, traffic and weather, and use a gps barrier to determine when I leave my department and automatically start up my navigation app to the best suited place.

when I said that into google voice command it transcribed my speech into text and dropped it into a google search. then I have to click on yelp reviews, check traffic, and parse the results myself to find the closest, least traffic encumbered place to get that doughnut.

then to get there I either click on the link and navigate there or speak "navigate to <address or shop name>".

It's just as quick, or quicker, to open my yelp app and then navigate from there.

Interesting use of incorporating services for you. I'm not one to say that incorporating already used features into one click is revolutionary, also don't see why this had to be iPhone4S only either.

Still a good product from the sound of it. When I get back if I find anyone who bought an iPhone4S I'll compare it, it happens that someone just went to WP7 from android. I've always like voice command features!

Apple can make a beast of a phone, and better than the Nexus-Prime. But then why didn't they ? The iPhone4S is just a re-released iPhone4 with the least minor of improvements, but keeps their manufacturing costs low, to make the most money. It says they are more concerned with making the highest profit, than actually producing the worlds best up to date device. And all these new features in iOS5 could have easily been made for iOS4 last year, and should have, they are playing catch up now.

I understand in business you are in it to profit, but would have been mind blowing if they came out with the iPhone5 like the mockups showed. Oh well, maybe next year, but now since no new iPhone5, I am heavily looking at the next Nexus device, as are many other people. But if the new iPhone had the 4" screen...thinner and lighter...LED notification light...Widgets...I would definitely go back to Apple, but for the iPhone4S, no way

Just an FYI, the 4S does have LED notification (its an accesability option in iOS5), as well as Widgets in the notification center. So you can scratch those two off the list.

Still wish it had the 4" screen...

apple has lost the phone war.
tumblr_lsnx2zXUMh1r4smp9o1_r1_500.jpg

Is that real? Why is it curved? Sure, it would fit your face better, but the screen would also be way more prone to cracking if put on a flat surface face down, and pressure is applied to the back of the phone. That doesn't sound like something that would happen a lot, but think of how many times you have your phone in your pocket with the face against your leg and press up against something a little too hard and think "is my phone ok?".. it probably wouldn't be if it was curved like that phone.

That NP pic looks amazing, if it's legit, but I've got serious concerns about the curved form.

EDIT: simonizer already covered it.

Last edited:
that looks sick!
(don't like how the phone has only three buttons or why android phones keep changing their button layout)

dunno about you, simonizer, but my butt has a curve in it :p

I can understand not having LTE. As it stands, LTE is a terrible battery hog and would have at least halved the battery life.

But the screen needed to get bigger. At least 4". Still, 4S is nowhere near as bad as people are saying though.

apple has lost the phone war.
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsnx2zXUMh1r4smp9o1_r1_500.jpg[/IM G][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://phandroid.com/2011/10/06/nexus-prime-mockup-tries-to-boast-legitimacy-we-say-dont-trust-it/"]Pretty much confirmed to be fake.[/URL] Read that and read the first comment.

It's just the guys fantasy rendition of the Prime. I'd say he prolly won't be too far off though.

I can't see the image (too bad seems to look cool) but just about everything released on the Prime has been faked so far. Think I'll wait till it comes out to get excited.

that looks sick!
(don't like how the phone has only three buttons or why android phones keep changing their button layout)

dunno about you, simonizer, but my butt has a curve in it :p

My phone never goes in my back pocket. My thigh is curved, but not in the same direction as the phone would be while it's in my pocket.

the phone seems thin enough with a subtle curve similar to the nexus s, i'd think you wouldn't really even notice any difference than a thicker, rectangular phone like the iphone's shape. I think people are blowing the curved shape out of proportion the nexus s has been out for awhile and i don't hear too many people complaining that it feels uncomfortable in the front pocket or that screens are cracking when placed face-down.

the phone seems thin enough with a subtle curve similar to the nexus s, i'd think you wouldn't really even notice any difference than a thicker, rectangular phone like the iphone's shape. I think people are blowing the curved shape out of proportion the nexus s has been out for awhile and i don't hear too many people complaining that it feels uncomfortable in the front pocket or that screens are cracking when placed face-down.

The curve of on the Nexus S looks much more slight than the curve on this mock-up image of the Prime.

The phone also seems much thinner as well so i still stand by my statement that the phone probably won't feel much different. Also unless your thigh lacks any muscle whatsoever im assuming its not perfectly flat as your knee and hip tends to be lower than your thigh while sitting down. I'm also assuming that a curved display like the mock up would allow for easier reaching the very top/bottom with your thumb and maybe something with viewing angles, but ill wait until the 11th or whatever to hear google's reasonings.

a curved phone would be very uncomfortable in your front pocket.. especially if your wearing jeans.. a little bump and it can get cracked too?

Just ordered this "iFlop" to replace my 3GS. Here's why:

I don't want to tinker with my phone. It's mission critical for work purposes. iOS is a closed system, and as much as I normally hate that, it gives iOS stability you can lose on Android. I have plenty of PCs and laptops to tinker with, and I don't really need to be overclocking my phone.

The only thing I was disappointed about the 4S was that the screen size is the same, but thinking back on it I never once said my 3GS screen was too small for what I need. I think Siri will be a killer feature for my business purposes.

Yeah, I'll admit, I don't want a phone with a bigger formfactor then the iPhone4/4s, or any comparable Android device. I have an iPhone4 right now, and it's as big (and honestly maybe bigger) then I really find comfortable.

well whatever else it might be it's not a flop
Reuters reports that AT&T is seeing "extraordinary demand" for the new iPhone 4S which became available for preorder at around 12:01 am Pacific time on Friday, October 7th. AT&T reveals that they have seen over 200,000 preorders for the iPhone 4S in the first 12 hours of sale.

For reference, last year, Apple announced that they saw a record-breaking 600,000 iPhone 4 pre-orders in the first day across all carriers in US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK. So, 2010's 600,000 number included all of Apple's launch carriers and over the first full day of sales.

This year, AT&T alone saw over 200,000 pre-orders in half the time. Unlike last year, the new iPhone 4S is now also available on Verizon and Sprint in the U.S, which will account for many other U.S. preorders. Despite being split across three carriers, AT&T says that this is "the most successful iPhone launch we&#8217;ve ever had".

Similarly, Apple also offered iPhone 4S preorders in several other countries outside the U.S. too (Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK). So, it seems certain that the iPhone 4S will also be Apple's most successful phone launch ever.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/07/att-alone-sees-200000-iphone-4s-preorders-in-first-12-hours/

Is that real? Why is it curved? Sure, it would fit your face better, but the screen would also be way more prone to cracking if put on a flat surface face down, and pressure is applied to the back of the phone. That doesn't sound like something that would happen a lot, but think of how many times you have your phone in your pocket with the face against your leg and press up against something a little too hard and think "is my phone ok?".. it probably wouldn't be if it was curved like that phone.

Arches are stronger than beams under compression given the right materials are used.

Also, those stating that apple is stupid for not developing a larger screen device don't understand marketing.. you understand what YOU want. Anything really larger than 3.5-4" is going to make it cumbersome, remember that a variety of people use this device. It's popular so its got to please a large crowd, being 5' tall girls with tiny hands and teens and so forth. Also, their DPI/resolution is set up a certain way for comparability, that's a big deal.

Imagine most of us don't care what either fanboys think. Can't talk to those people anyway. :)

Why people got to be extremely defensive of one brand is beyond me.

My take.....

(24 million iPhone 4s sold ? ) Those buying the iPhone 4s today, I bet, its because many want the last phone under Steve Jobs name and will sell it decades later at a profit they hope, or keep it as a memory of long last early years

(Curved phones) No one in there right mind would put any phone in there back pocket. Silly if they do. Front pocket if the phone is small enough like a flip phone. Most with common sense will have it in the shirt pocket or in a case on the belt or purse.

The iPhone 4s will not be an issue a few weeks from now, and the storm will subside, and for those that want the iPhone 5 will wait it out until then..

However, if the iPhone 5 is not a major upgrade in screen size then all hell will brake loose.

My take

(Curved phones) No one in there right mind would put any phone in there back pocket. Silly if they do. Front pocket if the phone is small enough like a flip phone. Most with common sense will have it in the shirt pocket or in a case on the belt or purse.

This.

I dont put my walled in my back pocket (too easy to steal) and it rarely has more than $100 in it, so why would I put a $299 smartphone back there? The only thing I ever carry in my back pocket is a grocery list. All my smartphones go in my universal belt holster (which is secured by both a normal beltclip AND a loop that snaps closed around it - my pants will be ripped off before that phone holster is! ...wait is that a good thing or a bad thing? :rolleyes:

I would love to see how many of those 1m pre-orders are from existing iPhone users (3GS or 4) and how many are new.

I think we can put to rest any theory that says 'Since Apple didn't do XXX, iPhone N won't sell'. Because it doesn't matter.

I would love to see how many of those 1m pre-orders are from existing iPhone users (3GS or 4) and how many are new.

I think we can put to rest any theory that says 'Since Apple didn't do XXX, iPhone N won't sell'. Because it doesn't matter.

News flash: 1M isn't shit. In another thread someone else linked an article that Android is on track to connect 1M units..... EVERY DAY.

Like you are suggesting, how many of those 1M pre-orders are from existing customers? I would place it atleast 80% if not more. The money in the cell phone biz is made in the monthly fees - if you're just getting an apple fanboi junkie to take another syringe full of Apple fanboiism, you gain any round.

News flash: 1M isn't shit. In another thread someone else linked an article that Android is on track to connect 1M units..... EVERY DAY.
That's what the headline says...but you have to read the article to inform yourself of the actual content underlying the claim.

That's what the headline says...but you have to read the article to inform yourself of the actual content underlying the claim.

I read it, I still don't care if it's 1M a day, 800k, hell - even 600k... unless it's an iPhone release month, they will NEVER compare to those numbers. They will never be in a constant upward slope either. Can Apple release an up-to-date iPhone every week? I don't think so...

Anyone isn't stupid enough to say Apple wouldn't sell this amount of pre-orders from all the junkies looking to get their next line of crack from all 3 lines (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint) for the first release ever.

since I read the article and it cast doubt on 1m, 800k, or even 600k per day, pointed out that Apple is on a constant upward slope, and supplied data to question whether google activations (whatever those are) were actually even on the rise, if you actually read it like you said you didn't understand what you read so read it again before posting it across a number of threads

Back