iPhone 4S, a new... ehm... a "new" iFlop.

if you have a ton of apps (legitimately paid for) then it's going to be extremely difficult to migrate from iOS (or to iOS). I'm not sure why these discussions ignore that part of the equation.
I have 200+ paid apps on Android and yet the only app I care about for a potential migration is a free one called Google Voice. I don't mind buying redundant apps for a different platform. I figure the usual under $5 cost per app should go to support poor developers... (*cough, I might be biased...)

But I need Google Voice to work well in order for me to go WP7. I have given out that number to too many women. Maybe I just need to develop it myself... but I'm getting too lazy.

Im sorry, do you know me? You have no idea what phone choices I make and for what reasons. Your delusions of omniscience have clearly clouded your judgment; it's easy to see why you think people who make choices different than yours are mindless sheep.

Here are some benchies comparing the A5 to some other popular SOC's.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4445/samsung-galaxy-tab-101-review/8

Notice especially the graphics performance. Still think the 4S will be all hype and no tech to back it up? And iOS has been hardware accelerated since day 1. Hardware GA is Androids long lost unicorn. Maybe Jelly Bean will finally bring Android into 2007.

Oh for the love of god, we know the ipad 2's "POWER VR" graphics is very good, good job to PowerVR as they did the work on the graphics.

But that is the tablet version of the graphics chip, usually those are clocked much higher than the smartphone versions. I would be surprised if the phone version of the powerVR chip performed as well as the ipad 2.

For a look at how the current flagship android phone performs in graphics, look here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4760/arms-mali400-mp4-is-the-fastest-smartphone-gpufor-now

still under the a5 (TABLET SIZED version) but very powerful still. The graphics on high end android phones is fine, and going to get much better very soon.

The iphone will have more games and better graphics performance even with similar graphics hardware for one simple reason, they release fewer devices with fewer configurations. That makes it easier to target a more uniform market, do not mistake that to mean that if you try to play a game on a flagship android phone it can't be any good. Plenty of applications in android are hardware accelerated, and that is where it is most important, the gs2 models use a backing store that allows for incredibly smooth web page scrolling and browsing WITH flash animations btw, so just stop with the iphone being some sort of top performer in all things.

None of that addresses the fact that people wanted a larger iphone, and they got the same baby hand sized phone that has been out for around a year and a half now. Enjoy.

The funny thing is all Apple had to do was increase the size to 4" and they could have called it an iPhone 5. But that would have killed the hype for iPhone 5 next year!

Oh for the love of god, we know the ipad 2's "POWER VR" graphics is very good, good job to PowerVR as they did the work on the graphics.

But that is the tablet version of the graphics chip, usually those are clocked much higher than the smartphone versions. I would be surprised if the phone version of the powerVR chip performed as well as the ipad 2.

For a look at how the current flagship android phone performs in graphics, look here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4760/arms-mali400-mp4-is-the-fastest-smartphone-gpufor-now

still under the a5 (TABLET SIZED version) but very powerful still. The graphics on high end android phones is fine, and going to get much better very soon.

The iphone will have more games and better graphics performance even with similar graphics hardware for one simple reason, they release fewer devices with fewer configurations. That makes it easier to target a more uniform market, do not mistake that to mean that if you try to play a game on a flagship android phone it can't be any good. Plenty of applications in android are hardware accelerated, and that is where it is most important, the gs2 models use a backing store that allows for incredibly smooth web page scrolling and browsing WITH flash animations btw, so just stop with the iphone being some sort of top performer in all things.

None of that addresses the fact that people wanted a larger iphone, and they got the same baby hand sized phone that has been out for around a year and a half now. Enjoy.

The A5 in the 4S will match that graphics performance. It's the dual core GPU and 543 architechture that is rocking the graphics world.

Yeah, Android has a few workarounds for the HGA that makes it paletable. But it's all work arounds with Android. Want it to do everything the iphone does, as easy as the iPhone? You're going to have to work. And work hard.

I learned a long time ago that if something isn't intuitive and easy to use, I just won't use it. So for example saying Android phones do video calls so BFG about facetime would be missing the point. With facetime, I tap a built in button. With Android, I got to use buddy lists, open apps, make sure my friends have the same app, and are online, etc.

But at the end of the day...yeah they should have made the screen bigger. One of the most obvious missteps in tech history. Luckily the other stuff helps, but keeping the same 3.5" is a slap in the balls for sure.

I think the big redesign will be next years model, and some rumors are that the 2012 model will have a completely revamped UI. So I guess Apple is very confident they can re-release the iPhone4 as the 4S and still make boat loads of cash, without having to change the current device much.

Now if come 2012, and they still keep the 3.5" screen, and the home screen still looks like an app drawer open full of icons, then Apple is crazy.

Hmm I guess I'm the only one with a disdain for those large screen phones. The current Iphone size is the perfect size for me and I'm happy apple hasn't fallen into the idea that bigger is better.

so you get an iphone 4 on crack. Lets be honest, everyone wants some crack or we wouldn't be on this TECH website.

meh the 4S will still be a nice upgrade from my current 3GS. a larger screen would be nice, but i can live with the 3.5" display.

Hmm I guess I'm the only one with a disdain for those large screen phones. The current Iphone size is the perfect size for me and I'm happy apple hasn't fallen into the idea that bigger is better.
That's a fair point. Larger screen doesn't excite me either if the text looks like it was written with a crayon.

Heh on a funny note, my sister just found out after this released her phone is only single core! Wouldn't believe me before but does now ... I just found it funny as it wasn't really anything important if it was or not.

if you have a ton of apps (legitimately paid for) then it's going to be extremely difficult to migrate from iOS (or to iOS). I'm not sure why these discussions ignore that part of the equation.

This is a good point, especially if you go from a free app on one to having to PAY on the other (WiFi Tether for Root on Android to MyWi on iOS) While I have plenty of apps I dont miss after selling my iPad, there are several that I paid for and wish I could have just coppied over to my Android Tablet. Though most have equivolents, for some people who dont like change it's a pain to re-learn the GUI (I have several customers who refuse to even update some of their programs because they "dont look the same" even within the same OS), Likewise some are only avalible on 1 platform (I bought soemthing like 10 games for iPad that I cant use now because the Devs are too lazy to port them to Android) Most people though rarely think that far in advance and end up with a simple case of "buyers remorse" at worst.

I guess it's safe to say then that Google's (moto, htc, samsung, sony, etc) plan is to get android customers to upgrade every 3 weeks?

LOL! +1 :D

This is a legitimate problem. While I think 3.5" is still too small (Quite happy with the size of my EVO's 4.3") I wouldnt want to carry about a freakin' tablet @ 6" or something. There is a sweet spot between the two that's hard to find and varies for different people. Likely most iPhone users feel that 3.5" is acceptable between "too large" and "too small" even if it's not the size they really want it's adequate.

Heh on a funny note, my sister just found out after this released her phone is only single core! Wouldn't believe me before but does now ... I just found it funny as it wasn't really anything important if it was or not.

Heh, thats funnier than someone from yesterday telling me how just the new attenna design of the 4S will give you "4G" speeds just like the 4G phones offered by Verizon and Sprint. I understand anyone can throw around the term "4G" on everything since its not a standard but still.

Heh, thats funnier than someone from yesterday telling me how just the new attenna design of the 4S will give you "4G" speeds just like the 4G phones offered by Verizon and Sprint. I understand anyone can throw around the term "4G" on everything since its not a standard but still.
It will be faster on AT&T. It will also be far less reliable on AT&T, but I think we all knew that!

Well I didn't mention it since I thought the whole dual core vs single core thing was funny enough, she did think her iPhone 4G WAS 4G, now wants to upgrade because the article she read said it had a better then 4G modem, so now shes going to get a phone thinking its better then 4G and not be 4G :confused:.

Not apple's fault, just the retarded zealots who have to make the phone someone superior spec wise to android phones. I still rub it in all the time that I've been on 4G this entire time. Shes envious of my 4G radio.

the iPhone 4s *will* support hspa+ speeds. blame any misnomers on AT&T not consumers.

I can't make sense of what you're trying to argue, Trimlock. Until AT&T rolls LTE out, HSPA+ is "4g" and that's how T-mobile and AT&T market it. This has nothing to do with Apple claims nor any websites reporting the fact that the 4s is now HSPA+ compatible and will be operating at AT&T's "4g" speeds.

Lots of anger in this thread, reminds me of the nVidia vs ATI skirmishes on the video card subforum. I have never had an iphone before (or any "i" devices) but I am going to have to give this a look because 1)I am already on Sprint and have decent 3g coverage here 2)I have no 4g coverage and most likely wont in the next 2 years 3) depending on the pricing plan sprint puts into place, and if I can grandfather my old plan with an iphone I can get away with a couple of these pretty cheap compared to an AT&T plan.

Im not ready to jump ship on Android without some research, but this does look promising. More power > screen size for me also. Of course I never got my hopes up for some iphone 5 nirvana of technical goodness so maybe my sense of entitlement hasnt kicked in yet.

I can't make sense of what you're trying to argue, Trimlock. Until AT&T rolls LTE out, HSPA+ is "4g" and that's how T-mobile and AT&T market it. This has nothing to do with Apple claims nor any websites reporting the fact that the 4s is now HSPA+ compatible and will be operating at AT&T's "4g" speeds.

I'm not really trying to argue anything, I don't argue what was said here either. Its just theres a lot of articles coming out using wild terminology to ride the hype train, convincing more customers they have something that they do not. I guess in the end it doesn't matter, if you don't have a problem with item/service in hand theres no issue.

Lol, epic. Publicity stunt to sell the 4S as a tribute?

Joking aside, he was a giant of industry and innovation... even if he was a bit of a dick.... Still, someone that had a huge impact, did things his way, and set the world on fire because of it. Not bad for one lifetime...

Better for him, I bet the dude was not at all comfortable in life. Haters will hate but its probably for the best he did go.

Joking aside, he was a giant of industry and innovation... even if he was a bit of a dick.... Still, someone that had a huge impact, did things his way, and set the world on fire because of it. Not bad for one lifetime...

This.

A little respect for the dead please. Say what you want about the company, Steve Jobs was a great man in his field and literally changed the world.

Did he die today, or possibly yesterday, and that is why everyone at the keynote seemed so down and somber ? Would be very bad to announce at the opening the brand new iPhone speech that Jobs just died.

Still...sad day for techies :(

Tough road ahead for Apple...not a good week, first the iFlop4S, and now the death of it's founder.

Look at that piece of crap. The “iPhone 4S.” What was Apple thinking? I waited 16 months for this?

Look at it. Sitting there. Looking exactly like the iPhone 4. It’s glaring at me like I’m supposed to welcome it with open arms. I hate you, iPhone 4S! You suck.

Seriously, I can’t believe that I waited and read all of the rumors for… this. It’s like someone took an iPhone 4 and made it more awesome on the inside. I wanted it to be more awesome on the outside, too! There’s absolutely no reason that all of my iPhone wishes should not be fulfilled by Apple. I’m a loyal customer; Apple owes it to me. I didn’t ask for the iPhone 4S.

Never mind the fact that, had Apple called it the iPhone 5, I would have probably not been this upset. Never mind the fact that the 4S actually delivers major advances in both hardware and software. I wanted a new physical design and I wanted LTE. My current iPhone has gotten so slow and ugly over the past year.

I’m so pissed right now! The iPhone 4S totally sucks. Did Apple think that adding the blazing fast dual-core A5 processor, incredible camera, intelligent antenna with HSDPA+ speeds, ability to run on both GSM and CDMA networks, 64GB option, and revolutionary voice recognition/dictation technology would be enough? How could Apple do a thing like that to me.

I wanted aluminum. I wanted my iPhone to be tapered like an expensive suit. I wanted it to make me breakfast and flush for me after I use the toilet. I just wanted the iPhone 5. Was that too much to ask?

But instead I get this: 4S. Apple had to go and stick to the same numbering system that it’s held to since the first iPhone. This year should have obviously been different. This year was supposed to be special. I’m on the verge of tears right now. Can I tell Siri to wipe my tears away? Apple probably forget that command.

There’s nothing special about the iPhone 4S. You wanna know why? Because it looks just like the iPhone 4. I don’t care about the fact that it’s got the most impressive internal specs, best build quality, and most competitive price point of any smartphone on the market. Apple didn’t call it the iPhone 5, and that’s all that matters.

Dear iPhone 4S, you suck.

I’m so pissed right now! The iPhone 4S totally sucks. Did Apple think that adding the blazing fast dual-core A5 processor, incredible camera, intelligent antenna with HSDPA+ speeds, ability to run on both GSM and CDMA networks, 64GB option, and revolutionary voice recognition/dictation technology would be enough? How could Apple do a thing like that to me.

Not really sure how this blazing fast processor is going to have any effect on the phone what so ever, I'd wait and see if theres any difference in the phone itself before spouting that as a plus off. Incredible Camera? its ok, its the best one out there but I still don't or wouldn't use my phone as a Camera. Cool it incorporated better MODEMS but its still not LTE, no matter how you spin it. 64 GB's is cool if you actually want that, I don't know anyone who has an iPhone bigger then 8gb's.

Now you are really drinking the coolaid with revolutionary, wonder what it is with Android (still using it...) or the one incorporated on WP7. Not to mention wasnt this available on the app store then pulled to be incorporated ONLY on the iPhone4S?

wait and see if a dual core processor has any affect on the phone before "spouting" it as a plus? LMFAO...what's your issue with giving credit where it's due?

comparing siri to google voice commands? <-- seriously grasping at straws here

your friends are all using 8gb iPhones? well I guess if your'e carrying around a DSLR everywhere you go then you don't need larger than 8gigs. but if you follow the maxim that the best camera is the one on hand to take the picture then well it's good to have one capable of taking an excellent picture.

wait and see if a dual core processor has any affect on the phone before "spouting" it as a plus? LMFAO...what's your issue with giving credit where it's due?

comparing siri to google voice commands? <-- seriously grasping at straws here

your friends are all using 8gb iPhones? well I guess if your'e carrying around a DSLR everywhere you go then you don't need larger than 8gigs. but if you follow the maxim that the best camera is the one on hand to take the picture then well it's good to have one capable of taking an excellent picture.

Dual core was spouted off as being the end all be all with android phones, then again with the iPad2. Still don't see the big difference, now its all of a sudden magical on the iPhone4S, sorry if I'm not a bit ... skeptical at this one.

How am I grasping at straws? have you used Google Voice Commands or the integrated version on WP7? they work, weren't touted as being REVOLUTIONARY either, not to mention Siri originally wasn't intended to be 4S only, no idea why it has to be either... I take it you have used all these devices and can tell me that it magically performs better?

No I don't cary around a DSLR, I've never cared about having super crisp pictures from my phone either. If I want good pictures taken of my family I'll take them to a profesional. The pictures I take right now are fine by me and for the most part everyone else since they don't do anything other then download them on their laptop and forget about them.

Actually I'm not away of anyone viewing the pictures they take except off of their phone/camera itself, I don't think I can recall anyone who uses these magical cameras to print them off and show case them. If anything the camera on a phone is ok for replacing regular pocket cameras and I can't see a reason to upgrade a phone for a whopping 8mp.

So no, theres nothing about this phone that intrigues me. Nor is any of it revolutionary.

I didn't use google voice commands because it's all of about useless compared to just swyping whatever I need to know. but I've been using it for the past two days as much as I can because I wanted to see what all the usual bullshitters on this forum had their panties all twisted up about...and lo and behold it's exactly as worthless as I remembered it to be :| regardless, siri isn't google voice commands as a cursory reading of any description I've come across reveals.

and no, I haven't bothered to use a wp7 and I never will. I loath microsoft's business practices and there was a time when tech's knew each other by bashing that huge corp as much as numerous forum members here love to bash apple. if their past phones are any indication then don't' expect updates when they come to fruition...or any support at all actually. it's bizarre to me how so many self-described tech heads can be up all over Microsoft's and Adobe's nuts after all the shit they've heaped on the industry over the years.

When you're trying to brand your phone as a super media device it's nice to have a larger screen.

It's ok to admit that Apple made a mistake in not making the screen larger. We won't hold it against you.

I didn't use google voice commands because it's all of about useless compared to just swyping whatever I need to know. but I've been using it for the past two days as much as I can because I wanted to see what all the usual bullshitters on this forum had their panties all twisted up about...and lo and behold it's exactly as worthless as I remembered it to be :| regardless, siri isn't google voice commands as a cursory reading of any description I've come across reveals.

and no, I haven't bothered to use a wp7 and I never will. I loath microsoft's business practices and there was a time when tech's knew each other by bashing that huge corp as much as numerous forum members here love to bash apple. if their past phones are any indication then don't' expect updates when they come to fruition...or any support at all actually. it's bizarre to me how so many self-described tech heads can be up all over Microsoft's and Adobe's nuts after all the shit they've heaped on the industry over the years.

To each their own, if its a good product I'll support it. I never bashed either company, thats not to say I don't stand for either companies business practics past or present. Its what we have to deal with.

I don't share you sentiment on Google Voice Command but thats the difference, I have yet to see what Siri does but for it to be magical/revolutionary to me it has to prove a lot.

here's the difference I see so far:
my friend posted on her Facebook page that she wants a maple glazed bacon covered doughnut and who wanted to find one with her

according to all of the information out there, if I had Siri, I could say: "I want a maple a bacon covered doughnut when I leave work" and siri would cross reference yelp reviews, traffic and weather, and use a gps barrier to determine when I leave my department and automatically start up my navigation app to the best suited place.

when I said that into google voice command it transcribed my speech into text and dropped it into a google search. then I have to click on yelp reviews, check traffic, and parse the results myself to find the closest, least traffic encumbered place to get that doughnut.

then to get there I either click on the link and navigate there or speak "navigate to <address or shop name>".

It's just as quick, or quicker, to open my yelp app and then navigate from there.

When you're trying to brand your phone as a super media device it's nice to have a larger screen.

It's ok to admit that Apple made a mistake in not making the screen larger. We won't hold it against you.

Larger screen may be nice for some, but personally the current size is exactly what I want and will/have watched videos on it. Sure it's my preference, but I'm happy apple's only handset isn't following the trend to make phones larger and larger. For me it's a phone first, computer second. Not the other way around.

People aren't getting the big picture. You have your enthusiasts and you have your normal folk and the normal folk are the ones who make these companies money. Do you honestly think majority of the iphone users care about a dual core A5 or a better camera? The reason why Apple even updated the 4 was to put on paper that they have a dual core and a 8MP camera just like the competition. They know the reason why they are selling iPhones is because of the software. People like the simplicity of it, they like the way the App icons are easy to read, they like the little touches that the Apple brand is famous for. They could careless if the iPhone had adobe flash, or a huge screen or had 1080p playback. It easy to pick up and use, thats why it sells. Unfortunately for the phone enthusiasts, you are not the target demographic to Apple. Just look at how many people own iPads with android phones. Software sales my friends.

Back