iPhone 4 Retina Display Compare

stamsek

[H]F Junkie
I took these screenshots and then zoomed in each to make equal size:

iphone-compare.jpg

Blowing up the image isn't a good way to compare them, to be honest, since I'm not going to have my eye 1/4" away from the screen in regular usage. Try taking a normal Home screenshot on both devices then post that, at native resolution and then we're talkin'...

If I'm holding both devices about 10-12" from my face (typical "reading" distance for such a device, at least for me) they'll look pretty much identical on the Home screen.

I know they're different resolutions but, the point still holds.

Actually this is the best way to compare. If I take screenshots of both, they will be differently sized. And to see the iPhone 4 is the best way to truly understand.

Yeah I put mine next to my brothers 3gs. It looks way better. Only problem is a lot of the apps look bad now cause your eyes are use to seeing this greatness.

I've never seen anything that tops this screen.

It's literally blowing my mind. Gorgeous doesn't even BEGIN to describe it. Mine is absolutely perfect. No yellowing nothing.

Played some HD videos on youtube and I was just blown away. Used safari and it finally felt like a real web browser. The high resolution is just perfect. webpages actually fit. No more scrolling for miles.

iPhone 4 is worthy of the hype.

We'll see how it fares to my milestone when I get mine as a spare device... I doubt i'll really care that much.

But it does indeed put the old iPhone to shame. Shamed and beaten and battered and useless. :D

The best use for the new display IMO would be to surf the web. Assuming you have good vision, you can now see more smaller text without having to zoom in on each paragraph and scroll left to right.

It wouldn't help with clicking links, unfortunately, as that will still require zooming since your fingers don't get any smaller.

Seriously, anyone that doubts this new screen is a moron. I don't care what actual resolution is or if it's real retina display or not. Just use it for 30 seconds and you'll know that it's amazing.

All the other phones will catch up to this, no doubt, and that's a great thing. It's incredible to see the amount of clarity on this new screen.

Seriously, anyone that doubts this new screen is a moron. I don't care what actual resolution is or if it's real retina display or not. Just use it for 30 seconds and you'll know that it's amazing.

All the other phones will catch up to this, no doubt, and that's a great thing. It's incredible to see the amount of clarity on this new screen.
So browsing websites on it is nice, yes?

If I'm holding both devices about 10-12" from my face (typical "reading" distance for such a device, at least for me) they'll look pretty much identical on the Home screen.

It is very easy to tell the difference looking at pretty much any text on my Nexus One vs. an iPhone 3Gs. The N1's extra resolution is very obvious. And the iPhone 4 has an even higher resolution screen, and doesn't cheat using the wonky pixel layout that AMOLED displays use (which has half the resolution for green and red as it does for blue).

Wow, that screenshot of a phone takes up almost my entire PC monitor lol. That's just crazy.

I'm really dying to see a picture like this one on an iPhone 4 in person. It must look sick. :D

I agree, everything clear and legible... Im now able to read [H]ardForum in portrait without zooming in.
I used to only read in landscape due to the fonts being hard to read with the old 3G.

The screen makes browsing on the small screen much, much better. It isn't even close to comparable.

It puzzles me how people are now suddenly caring about the resolution so much after the retina display came out, while no one bothered to care how amazing the Droid's screen was compared to the 3GS nine months ago.

:D

Back