iPhone 4 IOS update locked my phone....

dextr3k

Gawd
So here's my story. I purchased a Canadian Carrier and Contract free iphone 4 way back in july 2010. I changed my mind a week later and decided to switch to a fido subsidized plan. Instead of swapping phones, as there was a sever shortage in Canada, the apple employee just made me sign a contract, process the return paper work and resell me my own phone. Through the whole ordeal he didnt once touch my phone, my sim and everything remained intact and he registered my (supposedly) unlocked sim card/phone.

Everything is fine and dandy, the phone remained unlocked to my great happiness, as I travel a lot and need to swap out sim cards all the time. I then had to move out of Canada for a job, so I canceled my Fido subscription, paid the cancelation fees and everything, and moved out in late December last year.

My phone worked perfectly till yesterday, when I updated to ios 4.3.1, where my phone decided to return an invalid sim error after the upgrade. After calls and trips to my current provider and a local apple store, it was determined that my phone was sold as locked to Fido. But I've been using it perfectly fine with other carriers up to this point without jailbreak and unlocks. Apple won't help me, my carrier can't help me, and Fido doesn't know whats going on.

At this point, all I can do is sigh......

Nope. along with ios 4.3.1 is the 04.10.01 baseband.

The unlock only works up to 01.59.00 baseband......I checked...

Can you bring a chargeback against Fido? Might get them off their asses - they just need to unlock it.

I don't think so, what I'm leaning towards is that since I switched to a "fido" plan, despite my phone not being locked, they think it should have been. And at some recent point someone decided to push the lock sequence out.

I have upgraded my fw from 4.0 to 4.1, i skipped 4.2 and when I saw mobile hotspot, I went for 4.3. But now i'm screwed......

Too late now, but the 4.3.1 jailbreak instructions warned about that problem.

Ask Fido if they can unlock the phone since you completed your contract with them.

The jailbreak warned ultrasn0w users that the baseband hasn't been cracked. In my mind I had believed for the better part of my ownership that the phone is carrier free, and fido cannot lock a phone once its been activated without a lock.

Anyways, a little update, I called up Fido, and they said it is impossible for them to lock a phone after it has been sold, so it must have been some bug or something that allowed my phone to be "unlocked". And if it truely is locked to them, then yes, for $50 they can unlock it for me.

However, catch-22 of this story is.......they need an active account with the IMEI number registered in order to charge the $50, they do not have the means to process credit cards..........So I will have to get a friend to register the number to their account, and have them go through the unlock.....

SIGH

I did. Apple store says their system shows my phone is locked to fido, and as such, no warranty is provided.

This is the one thing that sucks about the iPhone. The whole lock/unlock situation is so complicated with the 3rd party activation via Apple. Usually it is easy, carriers have the keys that they get from the manufacturers and thats that.

Sorry man, hopefully the Fido work around works for you.

I think only the Gevey one works right now, and if you lose connection, turn off your phone, go into a tunnel, it'll lose the unlock and you need to re-run the hack...

Since its a microsim, i dont think the conventional sim chips will work....

Yeah I saw that. Don't think I'll be dropping $200 to a company on the internet for a phone I paid for legitimately.

and I have a feeling apple will lock this down really soon, so no guarentees there either, risky business...I'll have to wait for the jailbreak unlock i guess....

All you can do right now is wait for the ultrasnow unlock.

Next time, avoid the updates, and wait for the appropriate jailbreak.

Thing is, no one has ever heard of an iphone locking down by an update.

and I swear i've never used ultrasnow or anything, its always been unlocked. ASAIK 4.1 fw used the 02.10.01 band (which till now hasnt been unlocked either), which I upgraded to, and the phone remained unlocked. If I knew it was locked down, I would have waited for pwnage tool to get around the band upgrade, but never did I think this would happen.

Thing is, no one has ever heard of an iphone locking down by an update.

and I swear i've never used ultrasnow or anything, its always been unlocked. ASAIK 4.1 fw used the 02.10.01 band (which till now hasnt been unlocked either), which I upgraded to, and the phone remained unlocked. If I knew it was locked down, I would have waited for pwnage tool to get around the band upgrade, but never did I think this would happen.

Uhh, I ALWAYS read the notes on the jailbreaks saying NOT to upgrade becuase you'll lose your unlock. Seems common to me.

No, you mis-read.

I'm legitimately upgrading through itunes. No jailbreak. It was factory unlocked till 4.3.1 at which case everyones story changed and told me it was locked to Fido.

I never used ultrasnow. and I never relied on jailbreak. Only reason I JB is for lockinfo.

Dear [REMOVED],

Thank you very much for your reply on a short notice.

As a company, we do not lock phones with us when they are unlocked. I’ve never heard of such thing with all my experience. I’m extremely surprised that it happened to your phone. There is definitely something different with the iPhone 4, which only Apple can answer to that.

However, you said that Fido wouldn’t allow you to unlock your phone when you put the IMEI into one of your friend’s account? Actually, we wouldn’t be able to unlock your phone if it was still under and agreement. This is not your case, and our department can make the proper verifications in your friend’s account.

What I will do is leave a clear note in your account regarding this issue. After you’ve added the IMEI in your friend’s account, call us from oversea, and ask us to unlock your phone. If there are any issues, please give them this reference number: [REMOVED]

I sincerely hope this is going to work for you now.

Have yourself a very nice day,

[REMOVED]
Fido Customer Service Representative
www.fido.ca

Called Fido, "sorry, the wrong information is given, 1) your friend needs to have a 2nd line to register imei, 2) he needs to be out of contract, 3) the phone needs to have appeared at least 30 days in the equipment history, 4) your phone has to been have purchased at the full price at the beginning of term"

Basically every single fido employee keeps telling me different things. I call, they said yeah, just need friends to register - fido refuses to let friend register. Call again, yeah sure, just need friends authorization - got - then refused to register. call again - he can register, but phone wouldnt have appeared for 30 days.

Seems to me they are just finding an excuse not to let me do it, as everyone has a different answer to this.

Back