Iphone 3gs ... still a good time to get or wait?

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
Im eyeing to buy an Iphone 3gs in 2 months (renew plan coming in april) and i wonder if its still a good time to get an Iphone 3gs ?

I know they usually update the iphone in the summer, but im just wondering!

if you have to wait 2 months, i'd wait the additional 2ish and get the new phone...

If you are a die-hard iphone fan, and have to have a phone, then purchase. Otherwise use what you have and wait for WinMo7 which looks very competitive or think about the Palm Pre if you want superior pocket-ability, or Android if you appreciate the maturation of that platform.

Wait, the competition is heating up and Apple knows it, so this next would should be pretty good, hopefully.

interesting...(my carrier is telus by the way)

Palm pre isnt available on telus sadly. I played around with it a little and didnt like the quality of the device. Very plastic.

Winmo7 maybe not available in canada for a while... looks interesting but its the device that will have it installed that im not sure about ( most winmo phones are shitty , i know i own one... sad samsung omnia with spb mobile shell).

On telus there is only the motorola milestone that have the android platform and its released this week. I never got the chance to mess around with the OS but it looks a lot like some mobile shell you can get for winmo (spb mobile shell for one).

Overall its the combination of the OS and quality of the phone that im not sure about with android and winmo.

Another thing. I always wanted an ipod touch... so i wanted to combine phone/ipod touch together.

I would recommend you wait if you can do it.

Jobs promised the next iPhone to be A+.

I got my 3GS a few months ago and I'm really happy with it. But I would definitely wait in your position.

yeah i will check my option in april when i will be about to renew. Im growing tired of my actual phone and would love a 3GS... thats what i dont like about apple... you never know when they will announce a new product.

My 3rd generation ipod was changed not 4 weeks after i bought it.

well I really think im gonna think about it for the next 2 months. But so far i still think the 3gs could be enough for me.

yeah, I would wait it out and see what the newest version has to offer.

with that said though, the 3GS is a great phone :) if you don't want to wait, they're still an outstanding piece of technology... I don't think you'd be disappointed.

i think i will bite next week. Im in need of a new phone badly. I will work out a deal with my carrier since my account got like more than 15 lines active.

yeah it probably wont be until the beginning of Summer at the earliest if they plan to release a new iphone this year, so you'd have a bit of time to wait.

If you are on Telus in Canada you don't have much option.... the only problem you'll have is that you will loose ALL service about 10 times a day if you do any traveling at all. The stupid iPhone's(on Telus at least) will hold onto a tower until you don't have any service, and will NOT connect again, unless you restart the phone.

I have 4 Mac zealot friends that have the things, and make excuses left, right and center about how great their phones are and continue being happy restarting their phones all day long, while I quietly sit there with full service on my BlackBerry. :D

P.S. The BlackBerry is not even HALFthe device(portable computer) the iPhone 3GS is, BUT it's TWICE the phone.

If you are on Telus in Canada you don't have much option.... the only problem you'll have is that you will loose ALL service about 10 times a day if you do any traveling at all. The stupid iPhone's(on Telus at least) will hold onto a tower until you don't have any service, and will NOT connect again, unless you restart the phone.

I have 4 Mac zealot friends that have the things, and make excuses left, right and center about how great their phones are and continue being happy restarting their phones all day long, while I quietly sit there with full service on my BlackBerry. :D

P.S. The BlackBerry is not even HALFthe device(portable computer) the iPhone 3GS is, BUT it's TWICE the phone.

wow... is that a documented problem?

That sounds pretty horrible. :eek: Are you sure you're not the only one with such a problem?

I have a 3GS with Rogers in Canada, and I've had absolutely zero problems with getting service, dropped calls, etc. It's a thing of beauty.

That sounds pretty horrible. :eek: Are you sure you're not the only one with such a problem?

I have a 3GS with Rogers in Canada, and I've had absolutely zero problems with getting service, dropped calls, etc. It's a thing of beauty.

It's not me.... it's 3 of my friends, and one of their wives.... it happens to ALL of them.

god that sound awful... i plan on going abroad a lot so ill have to check on that

well i need to look around to see whats up with this

Ask some people with the things on Telus and see what they are saying.... I just witnessed this Friday night.... we crossed the border back into Canada from the States, my friends wife was in the front seat of the car.... I was in the back. With my BB World, I had full bars... she didn't with the 3gs, but not bad service... we drove for about half an hour, she tries to make a call... won't work. Tries again.... won't work. I dial the number for her. She talks on my phone, while her husband shuts her phone off. After it restarts..... full bars.

Ask some people with the things on Telus and see what they are saying.... I just witnessed this Friday night.... we crossed the border back into Canada from the States, my friends wife was in the front seat of the car.... I was in the back. With my BB World, I had full bars... she didn't with the 3gs, but not bad service... we drove for about half an hour, she tries to make a call... won't work. Tries again.... won't work. I dial the number for her. She talks on my phone, while her husband shuts her phone off. After it restarts..... full bars.

wow.... wow...

speechless.

FWIW, I have had no problem with my 3GS on T-Mobile (US). This problem is probably Canada-specific.

Like I said, there is no such problem on Rogers in Canada. I've recently traveled to Quebec City and back, and I had no problems along the way.

Don't Telus and Bell use the same networks? Would this problem affect Bell too, or is it really just Telus?

Like I said, there is no such problem on Rogers in Canada. I've recently traveled to Quebec City and back, and I had no problems along the way.

Don't Telus and Bell use the same networks? Would this problem affect Bell too, or is it really just Telus?

yeah im digging this story as far as i can...

how did you like my city ?

I'm not sure, I only passed through it twice. We went to Mont Sainte Anne to snowboard for a week.

On the way back, there was a bit of traffic on the highway, but other than that, it was all right. =)

I'm not sure, I only passed through it twice. We went to Mont Sainte Anne to snowboard for a week.

On the way back, there was a bit of traffic on the highway, but other than that, it was all right. =)

oh... so you experienced the great Resort of the canadian rockies policy of no jumps in snowparks.

What carrier are you with your iphone?

oh... so you experienced the great Resort of the canadian rockies policy of no jumps in snowparks.

What carrier are you with your iphone?

He said he was with Rogers.

Also, no idea if it affects Bell or not, as I don't know anyone on Bell with an iPhone... does Bell even sell the things?? :confused:

i just hit the trigger on a 3gs 16gb. If i have any problem i will report back and sell the thing!

By the way. If i ever change my iphone ... does all the bought apps carry to the next one? i assume so... but we never know.

i just hit the trigger on a 3gs 16gb. If i have any problem i will report back and sell the thing!

By the way. If i ever change my iphone ... does all the bought apps carry to the next one? i assume so... but we never know.

It will sync with your account i believe, shouldn't be a problem.

Seems like Apple has been releasing a upgraded iphone version each summer so far. The 3gs is a very good phone I have one myself. I would just get it.

It def, does. All of your apps are stored in the Apps section of iTunes and can be used on any device you have.

lets say my gf owns an ipod touch... i load up the apps i have on it ... and have my apps on my iphone everything will work?

:confused:

it should... BUT, afaik, you'll also be sharing contacts, emails and anything else you're syncing between the computer and phone/ipod and you'll only be able to sync apps that are tied to the itunes account on the computer. (so if she has her own itunes account and you have one as well, you'll only be able to use one or the other)

Back