Iphone 3g Jailbreak reversal question

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Lets say I want to jailbreak my iphone, but then later down the road I want to have it serviced by Apple. How would one return it back to the non-jail broken status?

I'm curious because I'm tempted to jailbreak for specific apps for my needs however I'd like to revert back if ever needed.

I believe there are a few ways to do it:
  1. Restoring your iPhone via iTunes
  2. Restoring your iPhone to older specified firmware (2.0)

They are essentially the same thing. They will both restore and reinstall the OS from an older firmware.

hope this helps

OK, that helps a bit. What happens when I plug in my iphone thats already Jailbroken and I have it set to auto sync, will that brick the device?

That is something I do not know. I haven't Jailbroken my 3G yet so I don't know from experience. I don't wanna tell yah something and have you ruin your phone.

Good luck. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere. [H] is a great place for that :)

Let me know what you find out.

when you jailbreak it acts like any other ipod/phone.

only difference is that it will execute unauthorized apps. itunes will not know the difference between the two.

Sweet, thanks Imprez :)

I'll be jailbreaking my phone later on this morning. I'll let you know the results.

Like has been mentioned above, it's a very easy procedure, and undoing it is even easier, as you just do a device restore in iTunes.

Not to pimp another forum but www.modmyi.com helped me Jailbreak my iphone (Love the H but not to many people with iphones on it :)

You can restore your device just by using Itunes and restoring the firmware. I've always jailbroken my phone and have had a couple serviced by apple now without a problem.

Good Luck and its well worth it!

Well just to give everyone an update. I'm jailbroke my 3g phone last night. Was very easy... but you have to kick your eye on the computer screen while doing it. I almost didn't hold the buttons at the right time. Luckily I read about the jailbreaking process before hand so I had a heads up, but the software didn't give a heads up. Also, the 2nd reboot of the phone TOOK FOREVER. Literally took 10 minutes. I thought I was going to have to restore my phone. A

I jail broke my phone to use pdanet and it works wonderfully :)
3g tether is P I M P. I'll only use it for small stuff, like checking important email in a bind or needing to download something for my research papers.

Not only did jailbreak just break the shakels, it kept all my previous apps which was nice :)

Jailbroken Iphone 2.2 all the way :)

Back