Iphone 3g and GPS

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
Do you need any sort of data plan or wifi to use the GPS on the iphone?

Like if i was in the woods somewhere far far away would it still work on google maps or something?

You don't need a data plan to use GPS, but you need one to use Google Maps since Google Maps downloads maps as needed.

There are GPS apps for WM that have built-in maps, but I don't know about the iPhone.

The iPhone has assisted GPS, which collaborates with the cell tower network to try to triangulate your position before the GPS locks on you, so it isn't really a standalone GPS based device. You need their data network and a cell signal for everything out there as far as I know. When I was using a family member's iPhone when I was down in Florida a short while back, I couldn't get the GPS to work in an area without a signal.

A better alternative is the HTC 8925 (Tilt), then put something like TomTom on it. It will work all the time no matter what, even if you don't have a cell signal. I've tested it extensively in Michigan's upper peninsula where there's no cell towers for 40 miles in some areas in the middle of the woods. Then of course on Windows Mobile, there's dozens of other GPS programs you can use, most of them being free.

ok, thanks for the info everyone. It looks like i will just get a stand alone GPS device when i go camping.

Back