iPhone 2.2.1

Scotty_SFF

Gawd
Just updating right now.

Apple released its iPhone 2.2.1 software update Tuesday -- but don't get too excited. The update includes mainly fixes and minor improvements, and no signs of any noteworthy new features. Can someone cue the collective sigh of disappointment?

Inside iPhone 2.2.1

The iPhone 2.2.1 update, weighing in at a full 246.4MB, is the first firmware release since November's massive Google Street View-bringing and podcast download-enhancing 2.2 offering. Despite boasting the same healthy file size, this update's features are far less far out. The software is said to improve Safari's stability and fix an image issue in which pictures saved from Mail don't display properly in the Camera Roll. Yep -- that's it.

The story's just a teensy bit sweeter for users of the iPod Touch. The 2.2.1 update for that device also includes a fix for an issue that caused Apple Lossless (ALAC) audio files to skip when played.

Conspicuously absent from the 2.2.1 update is the addition of support for push notifications -- something that had once been rumored to be in the works.

Hey, there's always 3.0. For now, just plug your iPhone into your computer and the update will roll in via iTunes.

Sounds crappy, ah well.

They generally don't list all the changes. I'm guessing 250+mb is not required for those two tiny things.

This is pretty lame. I wonder if they'll hold out on releasing 3.0 for a new hardware revision this coming summer, just a guess.

Lame update. 2.2 broke the ability to delete AOL e-mail on my iPhone 3G. My fiance uses her AOL account for junk mail. Can't delete anything anymore. 2.2.1 didn't fix it.

Maybe in 3.0 we'll finally get functionality that's worth something. Copy and Paste maybe? I mean seriously Steve Jobs is on medical leave and he's the one that "knows what users want" supposedly. Maybe that means we'll actually get what we really want now that Cook is in charge?

They generally don't list all the changes. I'm guessing 250+mb is not required for those two tiny things.

You are correct that they don't list all of the changes, but all of the iPod touch/iPhone images have been fairly large. It isn't an update, it's the whole system.

Back