iPhone 15 USB-C Cables Without MFi Badge May Have Data Transfer and Charging Speed Limits

devils advocate: the amount of fires that started with using cheap chinese chargers/cables and apple ending up in the bad PR or court makes me feel like other phones should do the same. I know several people that buy a $1000+ phone and then get a charger or cable at the gas station. As an iphone user myself i do understand you have to try and protect people from themselves especially us apple people haha!

This probably wont play out well in the EU though.

Yeppers, sounds like da fruity boys being, well, fruity, AGAIN :D

But no, I don't think the EU will let this fly for a moment, and I hope they have the ballz (& legal oompah) to stand up for what is right for the consumers, like they already have with the earlier USB-C mandates

devils advocate: the amount of fires that started with using cheap chinese chargers/cables and apple ending up in the bad PR or court makes me feel like other phones should do the same. I know several people that buy a $1000+ phone and then get a charger or cable at the gas station. As an iphone user myself i do understand you have to try and protect people from themselves especially us apple people haha!

There are already standards in place for USB Power Delivery, this includes USB-PD certified cables that are electronically marked with an ID chip which specifies their power delivery capacity and USB-PD compliant devices read the chip to determine safe charging levels. Apple is engaging in anti-competitive practices in an attempt to continue to extract additional money from consumers for Apple certified chargers & cables. God forbid you use your USB-PD certified USB-C cable & charger, which charges your laptop at 65w & already works to charge your iPad Pro at 30w, your iPad Air at 20w, or your iPad Mini at 18w, their maximum rated charging speeds.

The charging systems in modern phones already sense the quality of the cable and capabilities of the charger and then adjust the charging rate accordingly. Plus you know the chinese manufacturers are going to find a way around this and most of the "compatible" cables they produce will be junk, just like how I can buy batteries for my Canon camera that circumvent the drm but most of them are garbage quality and none are from known or western brands.

I agree on the EU part, this is basically an end around on the whole point of the law requiring USB-C as a standard and I doubt they're just going to shrug and say that they tried.

Let me know when it happens on Android. Tho I cringe at the cables my Dollar Tree sells. I trust them as much as the condoms and pregnancy tests we sell......

I actually don't have a problem with this. I hate it when people buy those 99 cent gas station or dollar store cables and chargers then bitch when shit doesn't work right. Certified cables of any type are good.

Last edited:
Back