iPhone 13 Pro announcement major disappointment

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
First it was the disappointment with WWDC and iOS 15 not being the big upgrade most analysts predicted, and I don't mean wacky crazy features that will never happen, but people that always have a rock solid guess on what's coming, all said iOS 15 was missing big time stuff that just didn't happen, they thought for sure was coming.

Now the iPhone 13 Pro announcement, = a side grade at best, and just shows that Apple has "jumped the shark"

With the new ProMotion display tech, I was fully expecting AoD ( Always on Display ). Did I miss that in the keynote? And I thought there was going to be a matte black dark color 13 Pro?

I currently have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the Pixel 5A, and I love both phones, but mostly am I Nexus / Pixel fan by far #1. But this new iPhone 13 Pro seems like a side grade at best and probably meant only to be upgraded if you have an iPhone XS or older. Hack if you have a iPhone 11 Pro I would still keep that because it has the more comfortable nicer smooth edges and not the sharp uncomfortable square corners.

I would dare say the iPhone 11 Pro Max is the best iPhone made in quite some time. It's still a powerful smartphone with excellent battery life and great technology inside.

While I may or may not agree that it is underwhelming, “sidegrade” is ill advised at best. Even if nothing else changed A15 is probably an upgrade if all it changes it the battery life. Don’t believe industry rumors, don’t project alleged upgrades onto a device as gospel then fall disappointed when they do not materialize.

I am happy and surprised there is a 13 mini.

I might switch back to Apple from my pixel 3. As I haven't gotten a phone in a while the 13 pro will be an upgrade, but the new colours don't excite me. I liked the Pacific blue from last year.

Also no always on display is a bummer as I've had that for two phones now (S7 Edge and Pixel 3).

Last edited:
Faster and better hardware every year is just a standard for new smartphones. That's expected. It shouldn't be praised, it's just what should and always happens annually.

No AoD is a kick in the dick though. No matte black color option is a bummer. No notch or much smaller tiny notch should be here already.

I'm not an Apple guy but I was hoping for more on the Apple Watch 7, stuff like higher accuracy SO2, maybe glucose sensor, stuff Doctors could trust.

And can't wait to see the cringeworthy iSheep videos from people like iJustine unboxing her new iPhone 13 and wetting her pants in amazement and such awe and wonder over the beautiful new iPhone 13 Pro. It will be the most fantastic greatest newest iPhone ever seen It will change your life.

LOL sad.

For what is now a mature tech, annual upgrade is maybe a pace too fast to still make sense, maybe not yet consoles slow level but one every 3 year's and working more on them could become a norm at some point.

I will admit, I'm interested to hear real life reviews of the ProMotion display tech. Is it a game changer and make the phone feel even more smooth and extra fluid? Or more of a minor barely noticeable upgrade?

Also, is the new 13 Pro screen of a higher quality, updated technology over the 12 Pro display? I don't mean ProMotion obviously that's different, but as far as brightness, or deeper blacks and brighter colors?

But I'm still salty Apple left out AoD.

Last edited:
I will admit, I'm interested to hear real life reviews of the ProMotion display tech. Is it a game changer and make the phone feel even more smooth and extra fluid? Or more of a minor barely noticeable upgrade?

Also, is the new 13 Pro screen of a higher quality, updated technology over the 12 Pro display? I don't mean ProMotion obviously that's different, but as far as brightness, or deeper blacks and brighter colors?

But I'm still salty Apple left out AoD.
On the iPad Pro (which has had 120Hz for a while), ProMotion is really nice and spoils you for other iPads. I don't miss it as much on the iPhone, oddly enough, but I suspect I'll appreciate it once it arrives. The screen is 25 percent brighter than before, at 1,000 nits, so that's helpful if you're using your phone outdoors or looking at HDR content. The contrast ratio is the same as for the 12 Pro family.

This is more than a sidegrade, but it won't do much of anything for you if you're coming from the 12 Pro (and to some degree, the 11 Pro). Like you said, though, this is great if you're coming from an iPhone XS as I am — the 120Hz screen, better cameras and A15 make it an easier sell than the 12 Pro. I do wish AOD was present, although it's not as essential when I have an Apple Watch.

On the iPad Pro (which has had 120Hz for a while), ProMotion is really nice and spoils you for other iPads. I don't miss it as much on the iPhone, oddly enough, but I suspect I'll appreciate it once it arrives. The screen is 25 percent brighter than before, at 1,000 nits, so that's helpful if you're using your phone outdoors or looking at HDR content. The contrast ratio is the same as for the 12 Pro family.

This is more than a sidegrade, but it won't do much of anything for you if you're coming from the 12 Pro (and to some degree, the 11 Pro). Like you said, though, this is great if you're coming from an iPhone XS as I am — the 120Hz screen, better cameras and A15 make it an easier sell than the 12 Pro. I do wish AOD was present, although it's not as essential when I have an Apple Watch.

Good post, thanks for the info :)

ProMotion and 120hz refresh rate is much needed on a high end flagship today. Brighter display for better visibility outdoors is always a welcomed upgrade on any phone. Plus bigger batteries and more efficient processor is always nice as well.

As some else said, phones are now a mature market. I really wouldn’t expect the huge leaps that used to happen. Because of that I’ve switched to a 4 year upgrade cycle from a 2 year since the gains just aren’t there anymore.

And I’m only upgrading to the 13 pro max from an 8+ since I want better night time performance from the camera. I held the upgrade itch at bay by just getting a couple of new cases.

Don't expect AOD anytime soon, Apple wants you to buy watch for that.
I'll be getting iPhone 13 Pro myself, will be nice upgrade from my aging iPhone X.

Don't expect AOD anytime soon, Apple wants you to buy watch for that.
I'll be getting iPhone 13 Pro myself, will be nice upgrade from my aging iPhone X.

iPhone X to a 13 Pro is a fantastic upgrade, and you'll love it I'm sure.

But the iWatch or whatever it's called. Yeah no thanks, never. I hate watches or any type of jeweler on my body. I don't ever wear a watch of any kind. The Apple Watch does nothing to excite me or ever want to get one. It offers zero to me. Same with an Android watch, zero desire, no need.

A smartphone is my pocket computer. I want it all on just this one device.

I mean, it was expected. This was basically the 'S' model year, so i'm not sure why you'd expect more. I'm waiting for the 14 in hopes that the notch is finally removed.

All of that being said, this is the phone market now. There isn't much more to upgrade at this point TBH, which is fine with me because at least with Apple the OS support is quite long lasting.

Smartphones haven't stagnated or stopped innovating. Only Apple has.

Look at the upcoming Pixel 6 compared to the Pixel 5, its a massive night and day dramatic change. Whole new design, different size and shape, all new hardware, all new software style.

This is why I like the Pixel line, they are willing to change each and every year, with an all new Design, give us something brand new every 12 months.

That's also why I liked the Nexus line too, each and every year a different manufacturer got the chance to make a Nexus phone, with their own unique design and style, and every year we got a different phone. Some years a better phone, some years a worse phone. But it was exciting to see the new Nexus phone each year. It was never a copycat same design used for several years in row, no way, never.

I hate how Apple keeps the same overall design, for like 4 to 5 years, it's lame, boring, and shows no balls to go far out there and just try something new and fresh.

Even Samsung is willing to change their design and shape and sizes each year. Yeah the Galaxy line doesn't look night and day different each year, but they are always slightly different, never a copycat from the previous year. I appreciate that Samsung does that.

Ok, rant over. LOL :)

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing about any new phone from any manufacturer that is offering anything compared to the changes we used to get. You can buy into the hype all you want, but phones since 2-3 years ago aren't offering much new. Just because the design is 'new' doesn't mean squat. Of course, I can see why these companies need to update the 'design' if people will throw money at them for nothing more but a new rectangular shape.

The only 'new' thing is really just the foldable screens, but the technology is still garbage with them, and their durability sucks.

What we need is some sort of sci-fi like holographic/projection display that comes out of the phone itself. That would be a serious game changer. Until then, it's just going to be garbage marginal CPU/LCD/Battery updates with new rectangular shapes to the ~.

Last edited:
at them for nothing more but a new rectangular shape.
That what I was wondering,was changing the size of the rectangle was listed in a list of night and day dramatic change or by size and chape it was not simply comparing 2 rectangle ? How different than all the previously saw rectangle of the last 20 year's can it be ?

There is absolutely nothing about any new phone from any manufacturer that is offering anything compared to the changes we used to get. You can buy into the hype all you want, but phones since 2-3 years ago aren't offering much new. Just because the design is 'new' doesn't mean squat. Of course, I can see why these companies need to update the 'design' if people will throw money at them for nothing more but a new rectangular shape.

The only 'new' thing is really just the foldable screens, but the technology is still garbage with them, and their durability sucks.

I can't argue with this. Right now the iPhone 11 Pro Max is still one of Apple's best phones, it has crazy good battery life, a bright nice display, and has the better more comfortable rounded edges to hold, compared to the sharp pointy squared uncomfortable edge of the 12 / 13 line.

That what I was wondering,was changing the size of the rectangle was listed in a list of night and day dramatic change or by size and chape it was not simply comparing 2 rectangle ? How different than all the previously saw rectangle of the last 20 year's can it be ?
iPhone X was perfection in design, but had battery and CPU issues. 11 Pro took that design and peaked it. IMO Apple could stick with that design in normal and Max sizes forever in my book. It really is perfect from an ergonomics perspective. Just remove the notch completely and keep updating the normal crap. I have no idea why these companies are changing the design once they find the perfect ergonomics. It’s not like we’re still figuring out how big a phone should be, and the display isn’t going to change much anymore outside of marginal spec improvements.

Last edited:
Smartphones haven't stagnated or stopped innovating. Only Apple has.

Look at the upcoming Pixel 6 compared to the Pixel 5, its a massive night and day dramatic change. Whole new design, different size and shape, all new hardware, all new software style.

This is why I like the Pixel line, they are willing to change each and every year, with an all new Design, give us something brand new every 12 months.

That's also why I liked the Nexus line too, each and every year a different manufacturer got the chance to make a Nexus phone, with their own unique design and style, and every year we got a different phone. Some years a better phone, some years a worse phone. But it was exciting to see the new Nexus phone each year. It was never a copycat same design used for several years in row, no way, never.

I hate how Apple keeps the same overall design, for like 4 to 5 years, it's lame, boring, and shows no balls to go far out there and just try something new and fresh.

Even Samsung is willing to change their design and shape and sizes each year. Yeah the Galaxy line doesn't look night and day different each year, but they are always slightly different, never a copycat from the previous year. I appreciate that Samsung does that.

Ok, rant over. LOL :)
You're conflating appearance with innovation, and I don't think the two are necessarily connected. The Pixel 6 design is nice, but it only feels like a dramatic leap because Pixel designs have been very utilitarian since... well, the first Pixel. And while Nexus phones did change wildly from year to year, it wasn't always for the better and sometimes created problems. I remember using the Nexus 6... while I did like it in some ways, it was a whale of a phone! Samsung's revisions sometimes feel like change for change's sake, too... I do think the S21 series looks better than the S20, but that's because the S20 was relatively drab.

While I do think Apple has been playing it safe with iPhone design for the past few years, I also don't think arbitrary redesigns would help much. What Apple would gain in short-term novelty it would lose in recognition and the strength of its accessory market. I'm buying a phone for what it can do, not just for the "hey, I have a shiny new thing" factor... and the jury's still out on the Pixel 6.

Good points in this thread. Thanks for the mature replies so far.

Again I think the iPhone 13 Pro Max is a great phone, if your coming from something like the iPhone XS. But not much of an upgrade from an 12 Pro Max or 11 PM.

I am curious to read real reviews on the ProMotion display. See if that's as big a upgrade as it is on Android phones. 60hz to 120hz on Android makes a massive difference. But 60hz on iPhone isn't too bad currently, so not sure if it'll be as noticeable an upgrade as on Android?

I for one wasn’t disappointed … the 120 Hz display was the main thing I was waiting for, and extra battery life is nice too. 13 Pro should be a pretty major upgrade from my XR.

iPhones are approaching “endgame” at this point IMO, which is why they aren’t changing much. Can’t see how they could possibly entice me to upgrade from my upcoming 13 Pro within four-five more generations, or perhaps more with a battery replacement.

I kinda want a new phone, but I think I'll hold onto my XS Max another year. My wife has an XR, so I may upgrade hers. I know for her it'll be a huge upgrade. Gonna wait on some deals and see what I can get if I upgrade hers.

The biggest feature here on iPhone 13 is the price. It’s like for the same price of android phones, you get a phone that is not only supported for significantly longer and also have a much better resale value. Especially with all these trade-in offers, it’s really a no brainer for those with older iPhones.

The biggest feature here on iPhone 13 is the price. It’s like for the same price of android phones, you get a phone that is not only supported for significantly longer and also have a much better resale value. Especially with all these trade-in offers, it’s really a no brainer for those with older iPhones.
This is the biggest reason why I haven’t even bothered with android since basically the X. Any iPhone you buy now is going to be so long lived compared to any android model. An iPhone 11 will likely be more than enough for even another couple generations. Even the X isn’t bad assuming you can tolerate the battery life. The OS support and longevity is just so much better. I see myself sticking with the 11 pro at least until the 15 at this point.

iPhone 11 Pro Max is a fantastic phone, the classic rounded smooth edges is a beautiful design, and very comfortable. The 12 and 13 may look cool but they suck to hold.

Plus the hardware and battery in the 11 Pro Max is totally great even today, that phone should easily be a power house for a couple more years.

You can trade in an iPhone 11 Pro Max and get an iPhone 13 Pro Max for like $300 or something. Trying finding an android phone from 2019 that can do that!

You can trade in an iPhone 11 Pro Max and get an iPhone 13 Pro Max for like $300 or something. Trying finding an android phone from 2019 that can do that!
I don’t know why you would though. That’s still decent hardware.

For the folks who complain about wanting a smaller notch, more battery life, and 120hz display, well here’s the iPhone 13. heck, if you’re one of those who want to replace the iPhone 11 battery after 3 years, you might as well just get an iPhone 13. Once again, the point is support, value, and value retention.

Value and benchmarks are why we’re on [H] forum… pay same amount and get less performance and less value over time if you get android phones is just like why so many hate and continue to hate Apple on their PCs back in the day. The irony if not outright hypocrisy is not lost on me.

Last edited:
There is very little improvement over the 11 Pro's with either the 12/13 Pro. 12 was actually a downgrade in battery life. 13 only gives the 120hz display, but that's it. The notch is 'smaller' but still obviously present, it's not like it's just a dot now or something. Further, as most have agreed, the 12/13 flat edge design is far less ergonomic. I think the new phones are great if you need a new phone, but really, there is very little improvement over the 11 Pro as the 11 Pro was that forward leaning in technology/design at the time. At this point, I will likely hang onto the 11 Pro until we get a notch-less design.

There is very little improvement over the 11 Pro's with either the 12/13 Pro. 12 was actually a downgrade in battery life. 13 only gives the 120hz display, but that's it. The notch is 'smaller' but still obviously present, it's not like it's just a dot now or something. Further, as most have agreed, the 12/13 flat edge design is far less ergonomic. I think the new phones are great if you need a new phone, but really, there is very little improvement over the 11 Pro as the 11 Pro was that forward leaning in technology/design at the time. At this point, I will likely hang onto the 11 Pro until we get a notch-less design.

Completely agree. I never owned the 11 Pro Max, but to me, design wise seems the best iPhone in years, way better than the boxy sharp hard corners of the current "industrial flat design" of the 12/13.

Plus at the end of the day, what does the 13 Pro Max truly offer over the 11 Pro Max? 120hz refresh rate and that's about it.

The notch being smaller is a weird one for me. Why did Apple spend the R&D money and engineering time to barely redo the notch? Some say it's actually worse, because it's taller, but narrower, making it look close to the hideous Pixel 3 XL notch now. I would have rather Apple just keep the old notch, but spend the time to give us AoD ( Always on Display ) instead.

I'm not knocking the 13 Pro Max, I'm sure it'll be a beast and super smartphone. But I think it could be even better if Apple was open to more change.

Last edited:
The iPhone 13 reviews/impressions are showing up, and Marques Brownlee suggests Apple is underselling the battery life gains — he said he got nearly five hours of screen-on time with a 50 percent charge remaining on an iPhone 13 Pro. That'd be a huge incentive to upgrade (from an 11 or earlier) if it's consistently true.

ProMotion per the reviews is extremely welcomed and a very nice and noticable upgrade.

Reviewers saying the faster refresh rate is noticable immediately even on just the setup welcome part when first turning the phone on.

Well, 11 had decently more battery compared to 12. The fact that the 13 didn’t upgrade the RAM from the 12 makes it a pretty meh upgrade in my book.

Ultimately, I’m hoping the rumors of the 14 ditching the notch hold true.

Well, 11 had decently more battery compared to 12. The fact that the 13 didn’t upgrade the RAM from the 12 makes it a pretty meh upgrade in my book.

Ultimately, I’m hoping the rumors of the 14 ditching the notch hold true.
That's true, but the 13 Pro might even fare better than the 11 Pro... and with a 120Hz screen, no less. It would be nice if Apple updated the RAM, although my rule of thumb is that an Android phone needs twice as much RAM as an iPhone to offer similar memory performance. There will be exceptions to that, of course, but 6GB on an iPhone is much better than it sounds.

With that said, I won't deny that the 13 Pro makes the most sense if you're like me, coming from an XS. Next year's model is for the 11 and 12 owners.

As far as the cool iPhone 14 rumors and leaks look, they do sound AMAZING.

But...one thing I've noticed the past few years, all leaks and rumors about the next iPhone are never right, especially 12 months ahead. WIll the Apple iPhone 14 Pro actually be the phone that was just "leaked" earlier this month? Maybe. Or maybe not at all, but I wouldn't bet on it, due to Apple's snail pace of radical updates and major changes, they seem to stick with a design for a good 3 or 4 generations, then move on to a whole new style. The iPhone 14 would just be the third generation of the industrial squared off flat look, that came with the iPhone 12 and now 13, will they go all new next year? Who knows.

As far as the cool iPhone 14 rumors and leaks look, they do sound AMAZING.

But...one thing I've noticed the past few years, all leaks and rumors about the next iPhone are never right, especially 12 months ahead. WIll the Apple iPhone 14 Pro actually be the phone that was just "leaked" earlier this month? Maybe. Or maybe not at all, but I wouldn't bet on it, due to Apple's snail pace of radical updates and major changes, they seem to stick with a design for a good 3 or 4 generations, then move on to a whole new style. The iPhone 14 would just be the third generation of the industrial squared off flat look, that came with the iPhone 12 and now 13, will they go all new next year? Who knows.
My hunch: the basics of the iPhone 14 leak might be right... but it's also a year away, and Apple won't have locked in everything yet. I'd expect a significant redesign, but will stay open as to what that rethink is. For now, I'm just glad that Apple shrunk the notch and otherwise wasn't too attached to last year's design.

Ended up getting my wife a 13 Pro coming from an XR. It should be a huge upgrade for her. She didn’t want the bigger Max Pro. Verizon’s made it worthwhile as she’s getting $800 credit for her XR.

I wasn’t going to upgrade, but I ended up doing so in the fact they were goi to give me $800 also. It won’t be a huge upgrade, but I got a 13 Pro Max. I’m on my phone a lot at work, so the bigger screen and battery life will be welcomed.

Back