iPhone 12 Won't Include Charger Or EarPods In Box

Join Us...Don't be Afraid!
1593986484640.png

Only reason Apple gear holds its value is because of irrational customers who are willing to pay crazy amounts of money for used electronics.

The normal law of electronics is, as soon as you open the box, it has depreciated by 50%, then it's an additional 5% to 10% per month after that.

Without it's irrational user base Apple would be no different.

Meanwhile, I am typing this on my almost 10 year old Dell Latitude E6430s. I upgraded the RAM years ago and added an SSD, but other than that it is the same as when I got it. It even still gets 2+ hours of use out of the original battery!

My Fiance's MacBook Air of similar vintage - however - went to recycling a few years ago. Couldn't even upgrade the RAM as it was soldered to the board, and the drive used some sort of weird ass proprietary connector. Essentially it could not easily be upgraded, and thus was now useless.

While you aren't wrong, the reasons why they retain value are fairly irrelevant. The fact is simply that they do and that is an advantage. You can't really lay the same claim about their mobile hardware however. Part of the reason iPhones, iPads, etc hold value for so long is because of how Apple handles updates. With a lot of Android devices you are lucky to get two years worth of OS updates out of them and even when you do get those they're often released months later than the newer devices. Most Apple mobile devices will get 4 years of OS support and then critical update support as needed. This helps retain value as you aren't missing out on a lot of new OS features just because you have an older device. It also helps that Apple devices will usually still feel pretty snappy over the years (there are, of course, some VERY obvious exceptions to this). The "cult of Apple" effect still applies to the mobile stuff, but it's a lot more understandable for them to retain value like they do.

Then you do not use your cables in an unplug and plug back in 1000's of times a year then. I take perfectly good care of my stuff, you just do not understand reality outside of your own......... :) If you use Android Auto, you have to plug and unplug 1000's of times and the cable gets twisted here and there, as well. *Shurg* Someone on the internet thinks bad of me, shocking. :D And yes, Apple is doing it for one reason only: MONEY!
It doesn't have to bend for android auto, use one cable for AA that is just barely long enough to reach where you keep your phone. In my f150 there is a ~cubby with a door that hides the usb ports, I close the door on the phone to keep it from flying out during evasive maneuvers and giant potholes etc. 6" A to C cable in there, works fine. Try it. You could use a RAM mount or similar if you don't have a neat compartment like that.

It doesn't have to bend for android auto, use one cable for AA that is just barely long enough to reach where you keep your phone. In my f150 there is a ~cubby with a door that hides the usb ports, I close the door on the phone to keep it from flying out during evasive maneuvers and giant potholes etc. 6" A to C cable in there, works fine. Try it. You could use a RAM mount or similar if you don't have a neat compartment like that.

In my car the Android Auto and CarPlay connectors are in the center console. I have a short cable in there. First thing I do when I get in the car is to plug the phone in, place it in the center console and close the lid.

We're not supposed to be using our phones while driving anyway. I have the Google assistant disabled, so I don't get messages while driving either. If anyone messages me while I am driving, they can wait for my response until I am at my destination :p

Only reason Apple gear holds its value is because of irrational customers who are willing to pay crazy amounts of money for used electronics.

The normal law of electronics is, as soon as you open the box, it has depreciated by 50%, then it's an additional 5% to 10% per month after that.

Without it's irrational user base Apple would be no different.

Meanwhile, I am typing this on my almost 10 year old Dell Latitude E6430s. I upgraded the RAM years ago and added an SSD, but other than that it is the same as when I got it. It even still gets 2+ hours of use out of the original battery!

My Fiance's MacBook Air of similar vintage - however - went to recycling a few years ago. Couldn't even upgrade the RAM as it was soldered to the board, and the drive used some sort of weird ass proprietary connector. Essentially it could not easily be upgraded, and thus was now useless.

That use to be true years ago, but not any more. You price something with the same hardware and its almost the same as buying PC components. This has been proven many times lately to no longer be the case. Apple stuff still holds its value tons better. Price a Samsung Note 10 vs a iPhone XS Max, and the XS Max still is $800~ and the Note 10 plus $400-500.

Did not read the thread.

The EU hit Apple with an ultimatum saying they had to switch to USB-C earlier this year. I'm sure this is the ONLY reason for this.

Watch Apple be douche bags about it and be like "Fine" You get USB-C, but we will electronically lock out all non apple chargers :p

I have several apple 96 watt usb-c adapters I would love to use.

But .... lightning.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205807
It’s incredible what’s going on....
Also feel free to use third party ones. I do from Anker.

Also the problem isn’t that the phone has lightening on its end. It’s that USB-A is on the other end. Part of the reason why trying to have a unified power connector is absurd is that most people charge with USB-A connectors (meaning the format on the phone side is mostly inconsequential).

I also find it hilarious that everyone wants USB-C on their phone when I still regularly see complaints about USB-C (TB3) only on Apple laptops and that’s somehow a problem.

People will always find something to complain about.

Last edited:
It helps to slow dwn so you see them ahead of time to react appropriately. 😁I left knives on truck bumper often only to find them when I got home, still on the bumper.
Fat lot of good this does you when your neighbor's cat darts across the road or their idiot children chase their ball into the street.

A lot of new notebooks are starting to go the apple route. If I recall HP was soldering in the memory now. I gave up on laptops. Not enough flexibility.

If this meant a real tangible
For some reason I don't have a problem with this as I usually would.
Yeah, I'm not too bothered by it. Not only do I have enough Apple chargers lying around, I also have tons of USB type-a ports on so many things that I can also use them.

I'd like for the lack of these accessories to be reflected in the price of the device, but I'm not holding my breath.

Feel free to site actual evidence. Since you're here to give facts.
Late 2000's Macbooks would have the hinge come apart because Apple didn't make a true unibody design for the screen. The screens were literally glued and spot welded together. It wasn't until 2009 where they machined the screen housing. Bengate is another example over form over function. iPhone 4 Death Grip is another example where Apple was trying to make it pretty without realizing what would happen if people held the stupid thing in their hand. A more recent example is the new MacBook air with the cooling fan not on top of the CPU, which just thermal throttles it to hell and back, which I presume was meant to help keep the laptop thin.

xavkrlnmwne5cvre-huge-jpeg.jpg

Also while you're doing that, show me statistics and not single anecdotal usage cases.
Statistics on clear design flaws? The design flaws are pretty evident.
The macOS platform has been as nimble as it has been because it has very limited hardware variation, tight control, and can therefore program all of its software in direct concert to the variations of hardware that it knows its sold. They also constantly and consistently depreciate hardware and generally support hardware for 5-10 years depending on where that item fits on their hardware stack. Meaning that they know what hardware variations need compatibility moving forward and if a Mac is operating on a specific desktop OS they know the breadth of the variation of hardware that it could be.
That's a well thought out paragraph. Too bad benchmarks show otherwise. Not only is MacOSX the slowest OS by far, but also not the most stable. Maybe more stable than Windows but Linux supports a lot more hardware than MacOSX and is considered the most stable OS. That's why few if even runs servers on MacOSX. Take a look at these benchmarks to see how MacOSX truly stacks up against the competition.

One, Louis has an agenda against Apple, and has always had one since they screwed him. Google it.
He has an agenda against Apple but again he makes his money repairing Apple products? His agenda is that he hates how Apple tries to prevent him from repairing their products. Maybe he hates the products as well but then again he should know better than any of us. That's like going to a mechanic and asking him which car brand to buy and he tells you Toyota based on his experience and you get angry at him and tell him your Mercedes is still going strong after 10 years and he knows nothing about cars, but again you're not a mechanic and you aren't a statistic. A Doctor will know better what medicine to use and avoid and a repair man will know what to use and avoid as well.

Late 2000's Macbooks would have the hinge come apart because Apple didn't make a true unibody design for the screen. The screens were literally glued and spot welded together. It wasn't until 2009 where they machined the screen housing. Bengate is another example over form over function. iPhone 4 Death Grip is another example where Apple was trying to make it pretty without realizing what would happen if people held the stupid thing in their hand. A more recent example is the new MacBook air with the cooling fan not on top of the CPU, which just thermal throttles it to hell and back, which I presume was meant to help keep the laptop thin.

View attachment 259404

Oh. We're talking about machines from a decade ago. Should I compare that to emachines or Dells made in the 90's?

Statistics on clear design flaws? The design flaws are pretty evident.
Their hardware could have "a million" design flaws. If it keeps doing what it needs to do it doesn't matter. So you don't really have any stats. It's just your opinion. If it's "apparent" then driving stats should be easy. If anything you should be talking about how crazy it is that their design makes no sense to you and still works.

That's a well thought out paragraph. Too bad benchmarks show otherwise. Not only is MacOSX the slowest OS by far, but also not the most stable. Maybe more stable than Windows but Linux supports a lot more hardware than MacOSX and is considered the most stable OS. That's why few if even runs servers on MacOSX. Take a look at these benchmarks to see how MacOSX truly stacks up against the competition.
Most benchmarks are going to have more to do with apps and how well they are coded to a system. If you want to see the reverse of that just look at apps that favor macOS. FCPX is one of them. It is by far the fastest video renderer out there. Both in timeline rendering and final rendering. Premiere as an example is dead last (on every platform). But a better comparison would be to show Davinci Resolve since they actually do spend time optimizing based on platform.
Heck, the direct link you put up is for games clearly made for Windows. Yeah, I'm sure that won't be slanted at all. Most of the rest of these tests are synthetic.
All this does is just show your bias and not really any objective proof. So thumbs up on consistency.

Last edited:
The hardware repairability argument for a phone in particular is pretty irrelevant for me. I don't own a phone past two years, and if something happens it's covered under Applecare+ where they just give me a replacement phone.

Also, I fundamentally believe the software on phones is the bigger purchasing point for most people, and this outright kills any normal consumer phone with Android for me.

I'll point out that this Louis guy complains about Apple constantly, but he ended up buying a LG G6 that ended up breaking that he couldn't repair either because the replacement part he needed isn't even sold.

He complains about Apple constantly because the lions share of the mobile market in a city like New York is going to be Apple. He constantly see's Apple. That doesn't mean his opinion is statistical fact, however.

4 pages is too much to read for me but it seems like these phones are just getting more and more and more expensive.

Soon you wont even get a screen with your phone. It will be a separate purchase.

Give me my 3.5mm headphone port back and you can keep the earpods. Also, cut down on the rediculous packaging, especially at brick and mortars where you leave with phone in your pocket.

The hardware repairability argument for a phone in particular is pretty irrelevant for me. I don't own a phone past two years, and if something happens it's covered under Applecare+ where they just give me a replacement phone.

Also, I fundamentally believe the software on phones is the bigger purchasing point for most people, and this outright kills any normal consumer phone with Android for me.

I'll point out that this Louis guy complains about Apple constantly, but he ended up buying a LG G6 that ended up breaking that he couldn't repair either because the replacement part he needed isn't even sold.

He complains about Apple constantly because the lions share of the mobile market in a city like New York is going to be Apple. He constantly see's Apple. That doesn't mean his opinion is statistical fact, however.

I have owned phones for more than two years. But when they break I just replace them because repairing them is typically not cost effective for me. Plus its a good time to upgrade.

Give me my 3.5mm headphone port back and you can keep the earpods. Also, cut down on the rediculous packaging, especially at brick and mortars where you leave with phone in your pocket.

Never used em.

Haven't used the 3.5mm jack in a while now on my phones. If I care about listening to music at high quality levels I do it with a proper setup at home. Further, if I cared about quality even on the road I wouldn't use the 3.5mm jack on any phone. I'd just buy a mobile DAC.

4 pages is too much to read for me but it seems like these phones are just getting more and more and more expensive.

Soon you wont even get a screen with your phone. It will be a separate purchase.
Well, "surprisingly" (not to me, but to Apple detractors) Apple is ahead on lower cost options.
You can buy an iPhone SE2 today for $400. Which has the same top end processor as the flagship iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Both the iPhone XR and 11 were cheaper than their previous generations at launch.
The iPhone XR was $749 at launch. And the iPhone 11 was $699 at launch. For a total year over year discount of $100. The iPhone 11S/12 (whatever they're going to call it) is also expected to be discounted again (due to what we're talking about in this thread from removing the headphones and power adapter).

Apple is clearly intending to continue to offer phones with flagship specs at different price points. I'd personally wait until September to buy (as I expect all the current options to drop in price, or you could go with the new flagship options), however I expect all options to be more than competitive in both price and performance (which Apple has been leading over Android for several years).

If you want the crazy high end option, it will likely still start at $800 and top out at around $1200 for the largest size and highest storage option. But that isn't necessary if all you need is a fast phone with "good" specs. Whether you're on Android or Apple the flagship phones have diminishing returns that make them have the exceedingly high prices. The S20 as an example launched at $1000 and it's not necessary to spend that much.

He has an agenda against Apple but again he makes his money repairing Apple products? His agenda is that he hates how Apple tries to prevent him from repairing their products. Maybe he hates the products as well but then again he should know better than any of us. That's like going to a mechanic and asking him which car brand to buy and he tells you Toyota based on his experience and you get angry at him and tell him your Mercedes is still going strong after 10 years and he knows nothing about cars, but again you're not a mechanic and you aren't a statistic. A Doctor will know better what medicine to use and avoid and a repair man will know what to use and avoid as well.
Like any repair place he repairs all brands. He has to make money. Apple is not alone trying to prevent him from repairing their products.

Do you remember the Motorola StarTAC? That phone was $1000+ when it came out 24 years ago.
cell_phones.jpg

I have owned phones for more than two years. But when they break I just replace them because repairing them is typically not cost effective for me. Plus its a good time to upgrade.

Never used em.

I just realized that I have had a Cell Phone since 1995 and haven't had one break on me yet. I did lose one though, one of the Nokia candy bar style phones.
I almost lost my first phone as well. I got to work and was taking my stuff out of my car and put my phone on the roof of my car.
A few hours later one of my colleagues asked me where my phone was, so I looked around my office and didn't see it.
I head to the front office and he points down to my car (we are on the 10th floor of an office building) and asks if that is my phone on my roof.
I am surprised no one noticed it and took it since it was there for at least 3 hours, lol.

Oh. We're talking about machines from a decade ago.

No, the video you quoted points out it's a NEW in 2019 laptop. LTT did a video about this, too, and he specifically says right up front he's talking about the Macbook air 2020. Not only does the fan not have a heat pipe, the heat sink barely touches the CPU, either.

Linus circled the fan in yellow, I circled the heat sink in magenta.

1594082997702.png

Here's 5:35 into the video:
1594083039011.png

Like any repair place he repairs all brands.

Unless he's changed, he only repairs Apple products. I watched a video of his several months ago, that may have been a year old at that point, so probably hard to find, but he specifically said he only does Apple products because there's a limited number of hardware options (and mostly he sees the same failures). He said if he did laptops in general he'd have a much greater range of issues to deal with. Maybe that's kind of like Tiger Woods only entering tournaments he thinks he can win, but I dunno.

Louis is a moron, bases his evidence on 90% water damaged products and has a soook because Apple wont give him parts and repair manuals, so his drunk employees can repair customer machines for youtube views.

As for Apples decisions... contrary to popular belief, Apple know what they are doing and aren’t idiots. They didn’t become the company they are by making shit and screwing all their customers over.

No, the video you quoted points out it's a NEW in 2019 laptop. LTT did a video about this, too, and he specifically says right up front he's talking about the Macbook air 2020. Not only does the fan not have a heat pipe, the heat sink barely touches the CPU, either.

Linus circled the fan in yellow, I circled the heat sink in magenta.

View attachment 259508

Here's 5:35 into the video:
View attachment 259509

The MBA and the Mac Mini the two products at the bottom of their product stack haven't been updated. The Air design more or less hasn't changed since its inception even though it's in its "third design".
That isn't even a build quality issue, that's a thermal design issue. Both machines will throttle under load, which you could "argue" is a flawed design, but it doesn't necessarily cause increased failure.
Every other modern Mac doesn't even have those (thermal) issues. And more to the point: I'm more than certain that those items have been neglected directly because they're going to be the first products to get updated with ARM chips.

We've been over this multiple times in multiple threads. We done beating the dead horse yet? Anything else? Considering that this is supposed to be a thread about not including chargers in phone boxes this has gone well off topic. So thanks for that.

Last edited:
Yeah, to my dismay though, Android Auto appears to still pass the audio via BT, even when plugged in using screen mirroring, which is a bummer, as bluetooth negatively affects audio quality.

The BT audio is only for phone calls, not media playback while using AA.

Hmm

Well, it still sounds worse when playing via AA than it does with the native apps in my car.

I would check your playback quality settings then or a different app or something. I can't tell a difference between the native app or AA in my XC40 at least.

Unless he's changed, he only repairs Apple products. I watched a video of his several months ago, that may have been a year old at that point, so probably hard to find, but he specifically said he only does Apple products because there's a limited number of hardware options (and mostly he sees the same failures). He said if he did laptops in general he'd have a much greater range of issues to deal with. Maybe that's kind of like Tiger Woods only entering tournaments he thinks he can win, but I dunno.

He has always done more than just Macs, he just doesn't prefer them.

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/faq/

1594143001410.png

Oh. We're talking about machines from a decade ago. Should I compare that to emachines or Dells made in the 90's?
The Macbook Air with the misplaced cooling fan is from last year and this year. Apple's messed up butterfly keys are a few years ago. This is not a company who makes reliable good hardware, and they haven't done so in forever. If you watched the video you'll see that Louis is getting ready for a wave of Macbooks with CPU's burned out because of their poor air cooling design. The only solution is to replace the CPU and that won't be cheap.

Their hardware could have "a million" design flaws. If it keeps doing what it needs to do it doesn't matter. So you don't really have any stats. It's just your opinion. If it's "apparent" then driving stats should be easy. If anything you should be talking about how crazy it is that their design makes no sense to you and still works.
Keep in mind that a lot of companies fail with their design and still keeps it working. Xbox 360 kept working for a lot of people despite their poor design. HP laptops had bad solder joints that kept working for a lot of people. Nintendo Switches work for a lot of people despite issues with their analog sticks. Stop making excuses for Apple's poor designs because not everyone has a fucked up experience. You can clearly see the poor design with your own eyes and it's just a matter of time before people experience the flaw. Also where would I find a statistic in people who own these products and finding them fail? Apple? Louis Rossmann? Stop defending Apple and their anti-consumer practices.
Most benchmarks are going to have more to do with apps and how well they are coded to a system. If you want to see the reverse of that just look at apps that favor macOS. FCPX is one of them. It is by far the fastest video renderer out there. Both in timeline rendering and final rendering. Premiere as an example is dead last (on every platform).
We're talking about the OS not the apps. Final Cut Pro X is exclusive to MacOSX and says nothing about the OS's speed and reliability. I actually don't know who has the fastest video rendering nor can I find out who does.
But a better comparison would be to show Davinci Resolve since they actually do spend time optimizing based on platform.
Ok so Davinci Resolve is at least on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Windows vs Mac shows that if you have a 3D accelerator then the performance difference isn't huge but with Linux it is much faster than both. Since Linux can run on anything including a PS4 then MacOSX being tied to Apple hardware is nothing but bullshit.

Heck, the direct link you put up is for games clearly made for Windows. Yeah, I'm sure that won't be slanted at all. Most of the rest of these tests are synthetic.
You mean the Phoronix link? Phonorix the Linux website? You clearly didn't read anything. DOTA2 is natively ported to Mac, Windows, and Linux. Nothing is running DOTA2 Windows version on Wine for both Linux and Mac. Xonotic is an open source freely availible game, which means it runs natively on Mac as well as Linux and Windows. Valved ported DOTA2 to Mac using MoltenVK because Apple hasn't discovered Vulkan yet. They had two, count them 2 games only. The rest was Java, Firefox, Chrome, compression tests like 7zip, and yes some synthetic tests. So mostly productively benchmarks.

There's a reason why super computers and servers around the world use Linux and not MacOSX or Windows. Apple should open up MacOSX so people can use the OS beyond Apple hardware. This would be a good thing for Mac users because it means more applications could be developed for it. Apple's recent announcement for going to ARM has lost users on MacOSX but oddly grew more users on Linux. Coincidence? I would even go as far as to open source MacOSX if I were Apple.

All this does is just show your bias and not really any objective proof. So thumbs up on consistency.
Do everyone a favor and actually look at the stuff I linked before glancing at it and spouting your ill informed opinion on it. You wanna prove me wrong then link benchmarks or show me videos. Because honestly your bias is showing far more than mine.

Last edited:
I would check your playback quality settings then or a different app or something. I can't tell a difference between the native app or AA in my XC40 at least.

I'm not convinced the quality is actually lower. It may just be the "loudness bias effect" (louder sources are perceived by the brain as sounding better) but - for instance - in my S90 the native Spotify app sounds much better (and louder at the same volume) than the app in the phone via Android Auto, even with comparable quality settings.

It also frustrates me that the input automatically switches to my phone whenever I plug it in or start the car. I'm constantly switching the input back to the native Spotify app :p

I'm not convinced the quality is actually lower. It may just be the "loudness bias effect" (louder sources are perceived by the brain as sounding better) but - for instance - in my S90 the native Spotify app sounds much better (and louder at the same volume) than the app in the phone via Android Auto, even with comparable quality settings.

It also frustrates me that the input automatically switches to my phone whenever I plug it in or start the car. I'm constantly switching the input back to the native Spotify app :p

It pisses me off to no end that whenever I turn the car on and my phone connects it automatically starts playing music. Im like if I wanted you to auto fucking play I would've told you. There is literally zero option to disable it in my Chevy.

It pisses me off to no end that whenever I turn the car on and my phone connects it automatically starts playing music. Im like if I wanted you to auto fucking play I would've told you. There is literally zero option to disable it in my Chevy.

Same in my Volvo. I suspect it is a part of the Android Auto specification. It's a bit annoying.

The Macbook Air with the misplaced cooling fan is from last year and this year. Apple's messed up butterfly keys are a few years ago. This is not a company who makes reliable good hardware, and they haven't done so in forever. If you watched the video you'll see that Louis is getting ready for a wave of Macbooks with CPU's burned out because of their poor air cooling design. The only solution is to replace the CPU and that won't be cheap.
If you want this to be a discussion primarily about build quality we can do that. I spent about 5 minutes looking up the Dell XPS 13 and 15 as an example and there is a litany of common problems on current hardware. Apple has two items on their product stack that haven't really been updated. And that's the Macbook Air and the Mac Mini. Considering the rest of their product stack is more than solid, telling people to not buy two models like telling people to not buy two models from a car company isn't even remotely a big deal.

This has not been repeated in this thread and others multiple times. Read the thread.

Keep in mind that a lot of companies fail with their design and still keeps it working. Xbox 360 kept working for a lot of people despite their poor design. HP laptops had bad solder joints that kept working for a lot of people. Nintendo Switches work for a lot of people despite issues with their analog sticks. Stop making excuses for Apple's poor designs because not everyone has a fucked up experience. You can clearly see the poor design with your own eyes and it's just a matter of time before people experience the flaw. Also where would I find a statistic in people who own these products and finding them fail? Apple? Louis Rossmann? Stop defending Apple and their anti-consumer practices.
Bad design is bad design. I wouldn't call Nintendo having bad joy-cons anti-consumer. That's a leap at best.
You'd have to prove that Apple's intent is to do things against the customer. And even as lawsuits are considering 'looking into it' it's a really high bar to prove. Guilty until proven innocent though, I'm sure. And as I've stated, the rest of their lineup sans 2 products are bullet proof. And the rest are likely to be the first to get updated with ARM. I guess that's enough evidence for you to take the extreme leap that they're "anti-consumer" though.

We're talking about the OS not the apps. Final Cut Pro X is exclusive to MacOSX and says nothing about the OS's speed and reliability. I actually don't know who has the fastest video rendering nor can I find out who does.
Ok so Davinci Resolve is at least on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Windows vs Mac shows that if you have a 3D accelerator then the performance difference isn't huge but with Linux it is much faster than both.
Okay great. Feel free to read my thoughts about testing methodology below. But in short this isn't a particularly good reason to be on any OS.

Since Linux can run on anything including a PS4 then MacOSX being tied to Apple hardware is nothing but bullshit.
Well, you're welcome to buy Apple and dictate to them what they do. You're basically complaining that a company is able to make it's own choices in the market. Not sure what your point is here.

You mean the Phoronix link? Phonorix the Linux website? You clearly didn't read anything. DOTA2 is natively ported to Mac, Windows, and Linux. Nothing is running DOTA2 Windows version on Wine for both Linux and Mac. Xonotic is an open source freely availible game, which means it runs natively on Mac as well as Linux and Windows. Valved ported DOTA2 to Mac using MoltenVK because Apple hasn't discovered Vulkan yet. They had two, count them 2 games only. The rest was Java, Firefox, Chrome, compression tests like 7zip, and yes some synthetic tests. So mostly productively benchmarks.
Right. So all synthetic.
And you missed my point about programming. This is similar to a Sony exclusive title that later gets ported to another system. Porting to "run as native" isn't the same as if something was designed to run on that operating system. Which was my point in bringing up an application like FCPX. The only way to test remotely fairly would be to find applications that serve similar functions that were coded and optimized for that system and test those functions. But first of all: who has time for that? And more to the point most people are on their OS because they are using specific software to do their work or to facilitate a workflow. It isn't a wonder that most creatives including in billion dollar industries are on this platform. But also unsurprisingly most people doing 3d rendering and CAD are on Windows unless one of a few limited programs they want/need is available on an alternative OS and they prefer that OS or ecosystem more. And that's the same with everyone.

FCPX has been shown multiple times to be definitely faster at rendering than Premiere and Resolve. Which tells me a few things. But directly against your point that it's not the OS, it is whether or not whatever software you're running is properly optimized. And I have more or less zero faith that bench-marking companies have bothered to do any level of optimization on macOS. And similarly DOTA 2, a game for Windows, was clearly optimized for Windows and continues to be so, whereas it won't have those optimization on macOS.

I clicked through your entire set of benchmarks. And it was just that. DOTA 2 and then all synthetics. With I suppose the notable exception being 7zip.
I didn't bother to check who was on top for each, because it's not particularly relevant. And yeah, I went to the end and skimmed their conclusion including "who was on top" for most of it and the statistics for often "macOS was on the bottom". Let me put this another way: if I was a Windows user and I looked at that series of tests and told myself: "OMG I have to be on the fastest platform", then that articles argument would argue I should move to Linux. And quite frankly that makes zero sense, because of software. Linux could be 1000% faster, if the tools aren't available on the platform it doesn't really matter.

Similarly a set of benchmarks is going to do little to prove that I should be on either of those two OS's instead of macOS. Because the things I do are faster in macOS. The workflow is better. And yeah, it's more stable. And I absolutely have to spend less of my time and life messing with the OS to keep it up and running (such as literally fighting Windows update and getting prepared for everything that breaks, since it can't be stopped or Linux where every time I'll have to prepare to re-configure everything over and over again). Let alone security in Windows, or Telemetry. Or lack of software in Linux. On down the line. That isn't a good enough reason for you. So, here we are. Again and again. And this is because you can show a few synthetic benchmarks (that again won't be optimized as well on some OS' as others) that show one OS is "faster" than the other marginally. By a marginal amount. An absurd reason to move ecosystems.

There's a reason why super computers and servers around the world use Linux and not MacOSX or Windows. Apple should open up MacOSX so people can use the OS beyond Apple hardware. This would be a good thing for Mac users because it means more applications could be developed for it. Apple's recent announcement for going to ARM has lost users on MacOSX but oddly grew more users on Linux. Coincidence? I would even go as far as to open source MacOSX if I were Apple.

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Whose going to pay for their development? Who is going to increase their profit margins? You? The dev community? People using it for free? Apple is a company. You figure out how to give them their billions every year and I'm sure they can figure out a way to give you their platform for free.
You should also expect Windows to do the same. Why should only Apple be open source?
Literally this is the dumbest argument ever. "macOS should be free and open source so that they can gain customers that won't pay them including some guy on some forum somewhere". Cool idea. We should all do that for all of our businesses and see how that works out.

Let people move to whatever OS they want. I hope people move to Windows too. This isn't a popularity contest for me. If it is for you great. I didn't get onto macOS to be popular. But then we should still point out that Linux has the lowest adoption rate by far, and there is basically zero chance of either macOS or Linux becoming dominant over Windows short of a 10+ year series of gaffs on a Xerox or IBM or Blackberry scale. You care a lot about what other people do. I'm good with letting people make their choices and vote with their wallets. The most popular thing isn't necessarily the best thing. That's obvious to me with Windows at least. Its been obvious for a long time.

Do everyone a favor and actually look at the stuff I linked before glancing at it and spouting your ill informed opinion on it.
I did. But you should also be self aware enough that every time you respond to me you're bringing the headache back. So whether it's you or its me doing "the favor" we shall see. Mostly because all of this is about opinions and you can't be bothered to think that any other opinion is okay other than yours. For the second time now, you wield your opinions as fact. And your values as the only values. Which is why we're still here. Because you can't see any other way and no other way is acceptable.

You wanna prove me wrong then link benchmarks or show me videos.
There isn't much of a point in looking at your links because of the information above. Feel free to show me any program that is optimized equally well on different operating systems. You won't, because it's impossible.

Because honestly your bias is showing far more than mine.
And you are bias. And I am bias too. The difference here is that your bias leads you to believe that there is only one option and one way of doing things (and voicing over and over how terrible Apple is and moan on and on). And my bias says it's fine if you want to use Windows or Linux that's your choice in the market. And I can think that those other platforms don't offer me what macOS does, and also be right. And if people are using a different OS for their usage case in order to do what they do, that's fine because Windows and Linux offer things that macOS also doesn't. Shocking position I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Same in my Volvo. I suspect it is a part of the Android Auto specification. It's a bit annoying.

It does it on android and apple devices so both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have the same "bug". The only way I found around it was to have no music files on my phone and to get into debug mode in the car and set the radio to be playing a non existent device by default otherwise it starts autoplaying ads from websites.

IMO this indicates to me its either intentional on the auto manufacturer or really shitty implementation of some standard. When I say intention I am not necessarily implying nefarious purposes either just perhaps a bad assumption that everyone will want to transition from phone to car and keep and play whatever they were doing last audio wise. It was a huge oversight to not include an option to toggle the behavior.

Opinion? Tim Cook's claim to fame was removing the Headphone Jack.

"Kuo said that Apple will instead release a new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year. The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging, as seen in the leaked photo below. Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs. Apple would likely also tout the environmental benefits of such a move. Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with iPhone 12 models."

https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/2...e-12-wont-include-charger-in-box-says-analyst
The environmental benefit of selling empty boxes cannot be overstated.

Back