iPhone 12 Won't Include Charger Or EarPods In Box

I don't even use the accessories that come with the phone anymore.
After I got my iPhone 4S I seem to have acquired some extra adapters so for the last few phones, I just left the accessories in the box and then sold the phones with brand new unused accessories.

These are my SE and 2020 SE phone boxes.
IMG_7890.JPEG

I have a lot of old, low-amp charger wall w
Do you really not have a mess of chargers at this point? Heck I have several quality 4&5 port chargers permanently installed about the house and have two sets of garbage earpods stil in the box on my desk right now, somewhere I have two sets of garbage purple roku ear buds and at least two more sets of similar from various samsung phones sitting in a drawer. And that's AFTER handing out several sets of similar OEM ear buds to various young people in the family who can't help but destroy theirs.

I'd rather get $10 off the price of the phone.
Except, you aren't getting $10 off the price of the phone.

I didn't realize they are including the cable, and only not including the charging brick since USB charging ports are ubquitious at this point, I will concede that. Cables are fragile and expensive, but not including a wall-wart...I can understand.

HOWEVER......however...we're talking about Apple. They can't ask if you'd like a complimentary one? Seriously of all the companies on Earth, some people are like "Oh yeah I'd like a newer one for my bag, my old one is .5 amps" or whatever. Apple has delivered *THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT* for a decade, at this point nobody needs better video, nobody needs a better camera, nobody needs like..spatial/facial recognition for any realistic use other than to say "look my shit does this!! WAITER, MY STEAK IS NOT PERFECTLY DONE! BRING ME A NEW ONE, CHOP-CHOP!" etc......they can have a checkbox in the ordering process. Wall Charger Y/N? $0.00.

I'm the same way. My cords and chargers generally last me a while, BUT my girlfriend's do not. I'm buying her new cables or what not every couple months. So it's not as simple as just taking better care of it. Some people just are incapable of it.
Let her buy them next time and she might learn. I used to do insurance claims in an education environment, as well as warranty. If you constantly abused your power cable/charging cable for your laptop you had to buy a new one because they cost the same as an insurance claim excess.... That sorted the 'people who can't take care of them' pretty quickly from being one every 3 months to one every year or two..

Then you do not use your cables in an unplug and plug back in 1000's of times a year then. I take perfectly good care of my stuff, you just do not understand reality outside of your own......... :) If you use Android Auto, you have to plug and unplug 1000's of times and the cable gets twisted here and there, as well. *Shurg* Someone on the internet thinks bad of me, shocking. :D And yes, Apple is doing it for one reason only: MONEY!

I'm rarely in agreement with you, but I can agree with this. It only makes sense that with each phone, you can replace those items on day one. It's also helpful if you are converting from Android to Apple or something like that. Even if you aren't, additional charger cables and wall adapters are always a nice thing to have.

I realize this is probably going to go on deaf ears, but I'm pretty sure Apple is going to drop their entry price on both the iPhone 12 models that don't include headphones and a charger. Meaning that if you don't buy them, you're ahead. And if you do buy them you're at the same amount. More to the point, you can buy the charger you want (the 18/20 watt one instead of the provided 5w one or perhaps even a wireless charger) or the actual headphones you want (Airpods, or beats, or whatever your pleasure). If that isn't what the launch looks like, feel free to complain then.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...lease-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max/#237a30972e1f

We'll see. There is conflicting information on this. Which is part of the reason why complaining about speculative information isn't really useful.

That's a good point. If Apple doesn't stop including the wall adapters, then there is nothing to complain about. I don't care about the ear buds. I never use any of the included ones. As for pricing, I'd like to see price drops, but Apple has a bad habit of keeping prices the same or charging more with fewer included accessories. Apple is a shitty company that treats its customers like dirt, and yet people seem to be willing to suck Apple's hairy sweaty piss pump on their knees with big smiles.

The only mistake is not buying a device you like when you are in the market for a new one. I don’t remotely feel bad for buying any of my Apple devices.

That's perfectly fine. I dislike Apple as a company. It's one of the few that I go out of my way to avoid due to my moral objections to their business practices and the way the treat their customers.

Say what you will about Apple products. Though not my first choice I will say that the iPhone and iPads have a great life span. My wife got an iPhone 6 when they first came out. It lasted until a couple months ago when the battery life got really bad and I put my foot down and upgraded her to an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB.
Also got an iPad 4 when it first came out and finally replaced it about a year ago after it somehow got dropped and took damage to the one corner even though it was in a case and the digitizer stopped working reliably.

My issues with Apple oddly, have little to do with the products themselves. While often behind the feature curve of the Android world, the iPod/iPhone, tablets, etc. are all very well made and tend to last a long time. The OS has a brilliance to its simplicity that allows even the most illiterate and mentally challenged people the ability to use its products. There is a lot to be said for that. My work phone is an iPhone 7S I think and it's never given me any trouble. Its not what I would have chosen, but it serves its purpose well.

Except, you aren't getting $10 off the price of the phone.

That's just it. Apple never removes an included accessory or feature with the intent of passing the savings along to its customers. If it was, I doubt there would be any complaints.

Did not read the thread.

The EU hit Apple with an ultimatum saying they had to switch to USB-C earlier this year. I'm sure this is the ONLY reason for this.

Last edited:
No surprise, and its an expected move from apple. It won't discourage me from buying another iphone later, either. Its Google or Apple for OS choice, so picking between devils anyways - I just go with the one that works best for me.

I'm rarely in agreement with you, but I can agree with this. It only makes sense that with each phone, you can replace those items on day one. It's also helpful if you are converting from Android to Apple or something like that. Even if you aren't, additional charger cables and wall adapters are always a nice thing to have.

Yeah, the cable that came with the Samsung Galaxy S8 is already broken about 4 months ago and I only have had the phone since April 2019. The kicker: the cable works fine when connected to a computer but, it does not function with Android Auto when moved. Sure, Android Auto may work initially but, as soon as the end is moved a certain way, the connection breaks, even on the phone I bought on ebay to test with. (The Samsung phone has other issues, as well.)

I wouldn't be shocked if Apple started selling the screen separately. To give us the "courage" to buy the screen most suited to our personal needs! But it's a one time transaction only, no upgrading later.

I would rather have no charger than the shit 5 watt charger they gave me with my iPhone XR.

I don’t know what to think about this. Wall chargers are so ubiquitous now a days that it hardly matters. Half the wall sockets in my house have USB built in. If they pass the savings on to the consumer than fine, get rid of it along with the shitty lightning earphones.

crApple: Our Shit's Expensive™

I'm not surprised, in the least, about this. Crazy how they are slanting this as a "save the Earth" move when in reality it's to boost their profit margin and trade value by getting already paying customers to open up their wallets even further, and some people are actually defending this bean counting Scrooge move.

Nice setup.

Now you have me curious here, what is in the "Do Not Open" drawer? :p
Thanks.
I had just gotten a label maker and wanted to make a couple of labels so I made a pair of those.
That drawer just has mice, SSD's, Knifes, and other knick knacks in it. nothing special.

Pretty much. It's a shitty company doing shitty things. They give less for the same or similar money than they did the iteration before, and get praise heaped upon them.

Yup, better off supporting companies like Google who will sell every bit of information they can on you then serve you more ads as a thanks.

When will people realise if you aren’t paying for the product, you are the product.

I like it, I just threw out/recycled a box random old chargers, cables, earbuds.

Sell the accessories for people that actually need them, I just need the phone.

Opinion? Tim Cook's claim to fame was removing the Headphone Jack.

"Kuo said that Apple will instead release a new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year. The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging, as seen in the leaked photo below. Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs. Apple would likely also tout the environmental benefits of such a move. Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with iPhone 12 models."

https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/2...e-12-wont-include-charger-in-box-says-analyst

I think this is the EU's fault. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...arger-warns-of-innovation-risks-idUSKBN1ZM2EV The rest is convenient and what would a charger actually cost in relation to the phone (to them, not retail). $5 worth of components? Insignifcant. This probably neatly side steps the EU since they don't provide a charger and you can get your own adapter.

I don't understand how the earpods could even work considering they dropped the headphone port. As far as not including a charger? That's effing ridiculous.

I don't understand how the earpods could even work considering they dropped the headphone port. As far as not including a charger? That's effing ridiculous.
they plug into the the Lightning Port I assume.

No surprise, and its an expected move from apple. It won't discourage me from buying another iphone later, either. Its Google or Apple for OS choice, so picking between devils anyways - I just go with the one that works best for me.
Won’t stop me either. I have way too many chargers and cables around the house and in the car. I’m fine with these things being gone. They just sat unopened in the box anyways for me.

In response to Dan:
That's a good point. If Apple doesn't stop including the wall adapters, then there is nothing to complain about. I don't care about the ear buds. I never use any of the included ones. As for pricing, I'd like to see price drops, but Apple has a bad habit of keeping prices the same or charging more with fewer included accessories. Apple is a shitty company that treats its customers like dirt, and yet people seem to be willing to suck Apple's hairy sweaty piss pump on their knees with big smiles.
That isn't true. There is incredibly recent precedence as MKBHD above notes: both the XR and 11 have both had price decreases year over year (which is something that Samsung as an example hasn't been able to compete with). And that was while they were still including chargers and headphones in the box. But this is a perfect example of: "we only see what we want to see". It's obvious from your 'vivid imagery' how you feel, but that just means you're only going to pay attention to negative news while ignoring evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Apple moving to ARM for their desktops and laptops is one thing.
Apple removing the charger and cable is complete bullshit, and is anti-consumer.

Thus, the evil megacorp reared its ugly head and fucked everyone over for even more profit. (n)

Last edited:
Apple removing the charger and cable is complete bullshit, and is anti-consumer.

Thus, the evil megacorp reared its ugly head and fucked everyone over for even more profit. (n)

They're not removing the cable.

You obviously missed the “rumour” part. I love how people are so hungry for ammunition for Apple hate that they loose their shit over it :ROFLMAO:

The only mistake is not buying a device you like when you are in the market for a new one. I don’t remotely feel bad for buying any of my Apple devices.
You should, because Apple products are shit. They are badly designed products with many flaws and limitations. Just to scratch the surface of the Apple shit storm, you lose the headphone jack and still use a none industry standard Lightening Connector because everyone loves to have different wires to charge their devices. Apple has yet to discover this new technology called the SD Card slot. You can't even install YouTube Vanced to get commercial free YouTube because of Apple's walled garden. Lets not forge the iPhone 4 Death Grip or the iPhone 6 bendgate.

My Apple shit rant isn't over yet. The late 2000's Macbooks had such shitty housings for the display that they broke often and Apple did nothing for customers. Macbooks with Nvidia chips would desolder and break connection on Macbooks, which is why Apple doesn't deal with Nvidia anymore, but nothing was done for customers. Apple products are so shit that the most durable thing is the fucking fuse. They charge you $1k for an aluminum monitor stand. Apple will refuse sometimes to fix your product even if you're willing to pay to have it fixed. They will put the cooling fan away from the CPU so it throttles worse than any previous Mac.

You want me to support your mistake? You made a mistake by buying an Apple product. You like many people buy them because its a status symbol like a BMW or Mercedes, but like BMW and Mercedes they're shit.

You should, because Apple products are shit. They are badly designed products with many flaws and limitations. Just to scratch the surface of the Apple shit storm, you lose the headphone jack and still use a none industry standard Lightening Connector because everyone loves to have different wires to charge their devices. Apple has yet to discover this new technology called the SD Card slot. You can't even install YouTube Vanced to get commercial free YouTube because of Apple's walled garden. Lets not forge the iPhone 4 Death Grip or the iPhone 6 bendgate.

My Apple shit rant isn't over yet. The late 2000's Macbooks had such shitty housings for the display that they broke often and Apple did nothing for customers. Macbooks with Nvidia chips would desolder and break connection on Macbooks, which is why Apple doesn't deal with Nvidia anymore, but nothing was done for customers. Apple products are so shit that the most durable thing is the fucking fuse. They charge you $1k for an aluminum monitor stand. Apple will refuse sometimes to fix your product even if you're willing to pay to have it fixed. They will put the cooling fan away from the CPU so it throttles worse than any previous Mac.

You want me to support your mistake? You made a mistake by buying an Apple product. You like many people buy them because its a status symbol like a BMW or Mercedes, but like BMW and Mercedes they're shit.

Have to laugh at this because it's such a childish excuse to rant (with problems strung throughout) that it's hilarious. Go on, tell us how you desperately want total Android and Windows monopolies, and the death of meaningful choice in the market. Adults accept that Apple makes at least some fine products, and that it's good for competition.

Bonus points for complaining that you can't steal money from YouTube creators. Listen, it's fair to gripe that Apple doesn't allow sideloading apps, but "I want to be a selfish leech" isn't a good argument.

I don't even use the accessories that come with the phone anymore.
After I got my iPhone 4S I seem to have acquired some extra adapters so for the last few phones, I just left the accessories in the box and then sold the phones with brand new unused accessories.

These are my SE and 2020 SE phone boxes.

Yep, the past 4 or so iphones I've had, I just took the phone out of the box and stashed away the box with accessories unused. I think that Apple KNOWS that the majority of buyers do this. With that said, I see this as a way for Apple to be more eco friendly. Whether they genuinely care or are just doing it for business purposes is beyond me. I don't remember the source but I read last week that its estimated that there are 300,000+ tons of ewaste in regards to phone chargers. Thats a lot. So Apple is potentially reducing ewaste. Additionally, by getting rid of the charger, the boxes can be more compact. Thereby reducing carbon emissions because you are able to ship more of them in a shipping container for instance.

So the typical Apple basher just sees "Iphone 12 rumored to ship without a charger" but the more sensible/educated person will dig deeper and find the reasons why.

Let's backup. I had one of those Macbooks with the Nvidia chip and they replaced my logic board 2 years out of warranty because they did a recall program (Or whatever you call it). Apple DID do something about those macbooks. Also, lets remember the butterfly keyboards. They extended warranties for users with the Macbook keyboard issues and replaced keyboards for customers even if they were years out of warranty. Apple recognized that the keyboard was shit but did an extension after a large portion of users experienced issues. Apple did do something about that. Apple has done several other recall programs for other defects as well and these were for older products too.

So your claim that Apple doesn't do shit for their customers is untrue.

The majority of Apple product users don't know crap about software/hardware but that their Apple products just work. They also know that if there's an issue with their product, they have incredible customer support such as the genius bar or the ridiculously easy and quick turnaround repairs.

So while Apple may be crap in areas that the majority of Apple users don't care about (Hardware, materials used) they are the KING in areas that the majority of Apple users DO care about. Customer support and ease of use.

And lastly, the part of the status symbol. Maybe 12 years ago but today, I don't think anyone gives a shit about if you have a Apple product nor do I think that other people think its a status symbol. The only people that say this are non Apple users....

The world doesn’t revolve around you and your fucking retarded opinions. I buy the Apple products I do because I fucking like them. I prefer Apple mobile devices over Android. Simple as that. Not my fault your closed-minded ass can’t accept opinions that differ from your own.

The world doesn’t revolve around you and your fucking retarded opinions. I buy the Apple products I do because I fucking like them. I prefer Apple mobile devices over Android. Simple as that. Not my fault your closed-minded ass can’t accept opinions that differ from your own.

I love my iPhone, I absolutely hate Android phones. I really dislike MacOS though.

Go on, tell us how you desperately want total Android and Windows monopolies, and the death of meaningful choice in the market.
Android and Windows is shit too, just different kind of shit. Android lacks in updates, which really sucks when you want Android 10 but stuck on Android 6. Not unless you either install a custom rom or buy another Android device. Windows is just... I've already ranted about Windows in another thread about Windows and it certain has its problems. But Windows is not a Mac, in that it isn't a device but an OS. Apple and their Macs are more than just an OS and that is largely Apple's problem.
Adults accept that Apple makes at least some fine products, and that it's good for competition.
'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.' Being wrong isn't a democracy.
Bonus points for complaining that you can't steal money from YouTube creators. Listen, it's fair to gripe that Apple doesn't allow sideloading apps, but "I want to be a selfish leech" isn't a good argument.
Remember that next time you're watching a commercial on your Apple product. You don't own your device, but rent it from Apple. You can't do what you want where as I can. I can run emulators but you can't.

Android and Windows is shit too, just different kind of shit. Android lacks in updates, which really sucks when you want Android 10 but stuck on Android 6. Not unless you either install a custom rom or buy another Android device. Windows is just... I've already ranted about Windows in another thread about Windows and it certain has its problems. But Windows is not a Mac, in that it isn't a device but an OS. Apple and their Macs are more than just an OS and that is largely Apple's problem.

'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.' Being wrong isn't a democracy.

Remember that next time you're watching a commercial on your Apple product. You don't own your device, but rent it from Apple. You can't do what you want where as I can. I can run emulators but you can't.

“Waah! Mommy! People on the internet disagree with me! Make them see that I’m right and the world revolves around me!” That’s all I get from your word salad.

Why not offer a $10 rebate for the buyers who give back an adapter, even just the new one in the box?
If this would be frequent, they could prove that removing the adapter makes sense.

That's my biggest problem with Apple: the only way with them is what they decided on as the best way.
I know some people, who like Apple products because they do not have to make decisions they do not understand. Although, this ignorance tends to bite them in the ass and, thankfully, most of them learn from it.

Why not offer a $10 rebate for the buyers who give back an adapter, even just the new one in the box?
If this would be frequent, they could prove that removing the adapter makes sense.

That's my biggest problem with Apple: the only way with them is what they decided on as the best way.
I know some people, who like Apple products because they do not have to make decisions they do not understand. Although, this ignorance tends to bite them in the ass and, thankfully, most of them learn from it.

That's not a bad idea, or have something like two SKUs per phone. One without a charger for $x and one with a 20w charger (they need to just throw away the 5w ones) for like $10-15 more or something.

Don't care. The pack in Apple cables and adapter are junk anyways and I dont use them.

Apple lightning cables have been garbage for years, I have some $2 dynex ones I got back when BestBuy put them on sale all the time, they have held up fantasy for 5+ years now, not a single one has broken or frayed.

I've been through 5x Apple lightning cables in that same time that just fell apart at the stress relief.

I haven't used an official Apple charger in years, 5w junk. And I never used the Apple headphones, they don't fit my ears.

I have a UGREEN Lightning to 3.5mm headset adapter that I use with whatever headset or headphones I am using that day. Usually Sennheiser Game One.

who wants to bet they keep the price the same, not include the charging accessory, and then turn around and charge like $60 for it.

You really don't get it. These are phones and computers -- tools to accomplish things and maybe have some fun. People aren't 'wrong' if they're happy and can complete what they set out to do without much fuss, whether it's a $400 Best Buy clearance laptop or a $1,500 MacBook Pro. And no matter how much you insist to the contrary, the demonstrable truth is that at least some Apple products are just fine for those tasks. I didn't use the word "adults" lightly -- you're a grown-ass person, you shouldn't be wound up by someone preferring gadgets you don't use.

I don't need to sideload apps to own a product. It's a set of tradeoffs. And again, I don't see theft as a particularly compelling argument. There are advantages to sideloaded apps, I'm aware -- but I also prefer to pay people for their work when their living depends on it.

Don't care. The pack in Apple cables and adapter are junk anyways and I dont use them.

Apple lightning cables have been garbage for years, I have some $2 dynex ones I got back when BestBuy put them on sale all the time, they have held up fantasy for 5+ years now, not a single one has broken or frayed.

I've been through 5x Apple lightning cables in that same time that just fell apart at the stress relief.

I haven't used an official Apple charger in years, 5w junk. And I never used the Apple headphones, they don't fit my ears.

I have a UGREEN Lightning to 3.5mm headset adapter that I use with whatever headset or headphones I am using that day. Usually Sennheiser Game One.

I use the Apple ones, they seem to work fine.

IMG_7920.jpg

welcome to 2020. Not 2000. I’ve owned every flagship IPhone and Samsung phone (up until the 11 pro max was released, I quit even trying to buy junk android phones). And I own 4 MacBooks from 2014 thru 2020.im not even a huge Apple fan. But I back up my opinions with my wallet. the hardware is top notch. Build quality on my 2020 MacBooks is as usual, top notch. iPhone 11 Pro Max,almost 2 day battery life and has been an amazingly stout phone. The hardware is there now. Rather or not you want to pay the Apple tax is another conversation. And I don’t think you want to. But the hardware doesn’t lack in quality, at all. You likely do not find the value in the product or just plain do not want to spend money like that on those things.

welcome to 2020. Not 2000. I’ve owned every flagship IPhone and Samsung phone (up until the 11 pro max was released, I quit even trying to buy junk android phones). And I own 4 MacBooks from 2014 thru 2020.im not even a huge Apple fan. But I back up my opinions with my wallet. the hardware is top notch. Build quality on my 2020 MacBooks is as usual, top notch. iPhone 11 Pro Max,almost 2 day battery life and has been an amazingly stout phone. The hardware is there now. Rather or not you want to pay the Apple tax is another conversation. And I don’t think you want to. But the hardware doesn’t lack in quality, at all. You likely do not find the value in the product or just plain do not want to spend money like that on those things.
I concur. I think people complaining Apple in this thread got dropped by their mother at a very young age.

QC chargers are the best picked one up for 5.00 instead of wearing out the USB C. Only problem I have with it its picky where I place it on the charger due to the battery location.

Obviously you have to purchase a Google USB-C to Headphone adapter!
https://store.google.com/us/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter

"Use your favorite 3.5mm headphones with your Pixel and Pixel Slate, or connect to your sound system, with the compact USB-C adapter."

Back