iPhone 12 Won't Include Charger Or EarPods In Box

erek

[H]F Junkie
Opinion? Tim Cook's claim to fame was removing the Headphone Jack.

"Kuo said that Apple will instead release a new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year. The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging, as seen in the leaked photo below. Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs. Apple would likely also tout the environmental benefits of such a move. Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with iPhone 12 models."

https://mobile.slashdot.org/story/2...e-12-wont-include-charger-in-box-says-analyst

I find this likely.

One of the issues was that Apple was trying to find ways to eliminate ewaste. You can look it up. Basically people at this point are getting chargers on top of chargers on top of charges as well as the same with headphones. It was an issue when there was the transition to lightning, but now everyone has their favorite set of headphones and a bunch of chargers. This is an even bigger issue in Europe, where essentially this stuff is just getting thrown away. They'll continue to ship the cable in the box and skip the charger.
I do believe that for iPhone Pro though they will ship it with 18/20w chargers. But the other thing is I also think Apple is going to start its regular iPhone 12 at a much lower price than previous generations. With a 4 phone launch with the 5th being the SE2 at the bottom, I expect there will be a much lower entry level even for the latest tech. Meaning, if you really do need a charger/headphones, you'll still be able to get your phone and the charger and headphones separately for less than you could before with it all included in the box. Or more to the point, skip buying headphones that are just "in the box headphones" and invest all your money in a set you actually want (like air-pods, and yes obviously Apple knows the adoption rates).

Last edited:
I am sad, I just bought the 18watt charger and USB-C cable.

IMG_6698.jpg

I really don’t see this as a real issue. I feel like almost everyone has USB chargers floating around these days. Even if they don’t have USB-C chargers, Lightening to USB-A cables are super cheap and can be bought basically everywhere.

So you buy a phone and immediately have to have your own solution to charge it up? I'd say its an issue. There's a solution to this, and it's not "We have courageously decided to support the Earth".......it's "Check this box if you would like a complimentary charging dongle/cable". Then people, not the company, can decide if they want to be courageous or not.

So you buy a phone and immediately have to have your own solution to charge it up? I'd say its an issue. There's a solution to this, and it's not "We have courageously decided to support the Earth".......it's "Check this box if you would like a complimentary charging dongle/cable". Then people, not the company, can decide if they want to be courageous or not.
I agree. Most people who are buying new phones are either trading or selling them and typically you should be giving them the charger also.

One of the issues was that Apple was trying to find ways to eliminate ewaste. You can look it up. Basically people at this point are getting chargers on top of chargers on top of charges as well as the same with headphones...
That makes a lot of sense. At my home we have 2-3 iPad chargers, 3-4 iPhone chargers, 3-4 misc USB (Android/other) chargers, 2 QC chargers, etc. We don't need more.

This is an even bigger issue in Europe, where essentially this stuff is just getting thrown away.
Anyone throwing away cords or chargers just because they don't want them, please send them my way. My wife and kids constantly break their cords and chargers. I don't know why you would ever throw away a working cord or charger. The more spares i have the better!

Anyone throwing away cords or chargers just because they don't want them, please send them my way. My wife and kids constantly break their cords and chargers. I don't know why you would ever throw away a working cord or charger. The more spares i have the better!

How do they keep breaking them? I have decade+ old USB wall worts, 1st gen lightening cables, and early micro and mini USB cables that are still in perfectly working shape. I've had all of one lightening cable break on me and that thing was beat to hell.

The title is a little more sensational than the reality. It doesn't include a wall adapter. It's not like you have to go out and buy some means to charge the damned thing.
Like most everyone else, I've got like 30 wall adapters in my house. Every device I've bought since 2010 comes with one and I can't tell you how many I've ended up with via tradeshow trinkets or people leaving them in my car our house. You can probably just stroll through your local mall or airport and find an abandoned one. No big deal.

I think they could have spun it well by doing saying by default they do not supply one and cite how they are Saving The Planet.

Of course if you need one or just hate planets, you can check a box and still get one.

Pretty much. It's a shitty company doing shitty things. They give less for the same or similar money than they did the iteration before, and get praise heaped upon them.

Sounds like a great investment. I love Apple and their fans.

Pretty much. It's a shitty company doing shitty things. They give less for the same or similar money than they did the iteration before, and get praise heaped upon them.

How is it shitty? It's not as if they're not including the cable, it's just the wall adapter. I really don't get why people think this is such a big deal.

I don't because I do not keep my phones, I sell them off. Also, cables break and chargers get lost.

Ya'll need to take better care of your shit.

How is it shitty? It's not as if they're not including the cable, it's just the wall adapter. I really don't get why people think this is such a big deal.

No, cables break internally, simple as that. Also, power adapters can be lost or fail, simple as that, as well.

No, cables break internally, simple as that. Also, power adapters can be lost or fail, simple as that, as well.

I have had exactly ONE lightening cable break in the however many years they've been around and that cable was beat to hell. I don't recall a single USB cable breaking on me, ever. I've had to throw away wall adapters because I've collected so many over the years and haven't lost them. Take better care of your shit.

I have had exactly ONE lightening cable break in the however many years they've been around and that cable was beat to hell. I don't recall a single USB cable breaking on me, ever. I've had to throw away wall adapters because I've collected so many over the years and haven't lost them. Take better care of your shit.

Then you do not use your cables in an unplug and plug back in 1000's of times a year then. I take perfectly good care of my stuff, you just do not understand reality outside of your own......... :) If you use Android Auto, you have to plug and unplug 1000's of times and the cable gets twisted here and there, as well. *Shurg* Someone on the internet thinks bad of me, shocking. :D And yes, Apple is doing it for one reason only: MONEY!

It's shitty that Apple gives you less and charges as much or more than they did for the previous generation. You should get everything you need to charge your phone out of the box. The earpods I don't care about. Many people do not use the included ones for various reasons.

It's shitty that Apple gives you less and charges as much or more than they did for the previous generation. You should get everything you need to charge your phone out of the box. The earpods I don't care about. Many people do not use the included ones for various reasons.
I realize this is probably going to go on deaf ears, but I'm pretty sure Apple is going to drop their entry price on both the iPhone 12 models that don't include headphones and a charger. Meaning that if you don't buy them, you're ahead. And if you do buy them you're at the same amount. More to the point, you can buy the charger you want (the 18/20 watt one instead of the provided 5w one or perhaps even a wireless charger) or the actual headphones you want (Airpods, or beats, or whatever your pleasure). If that isn't what the launch looks like, feel free to complain then.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...lease-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max/#237a30972e1f

We'll see. There is conflicting information on this. Which is part of the reason why complaining about speculative information isn't really useful.

Then you do not use your cables in an unplug and plug back in 1000's of times a year then. I take perfectly good care of my stuff, you just do not understand reality outside of your own......... :) If you use Android Auto, you have to plug and unplug 1000's of times and the cable gets twisted here and there, as well. *Shurg* Someone on the internet thinks bad of me, shocking. :D And yes, Apple is doing it for one reason only: MONEY!

I charge my devices quite often. My phone is charged almost daily, watch gets charged every other day, Fire tablet once a week, iPad almost daily. Same has been true of most devices I’ve owned over the years.

Doesn't change the fact that people will make the mistake of buying Apple products.

The only mistake is not buying a device you like when you are in the market for a new one. I don’t remotely feel bad for buying any of my Apple devices.

I charge my devices quite often. My phone is charged almost daily, watch gets charged every other day, Fire tablet once a week, iPad almost daily. Same has been true of most devices I’ve owned over the years.

I'm the same way. My cords and chargers generally last me a while, BUT my girlfriend's do not. I'm buying her new cables or what not every couple months. So it's not as simple as just taking better care of it. Some people just are incapable of it.

How do they keep breaking them? I have decade+ old USB wall worts, 1st gen lightening cables, and early micro and mini USB cables that are still in perfectly working shape. I've had all of one lightening cable break on me and that thing was beat to hell.

You ever have a small child stick the end of an Apple lighting cord in their mouth? Saliva corrodes the connectors on those cables faster than you can say "spit". And then they don't work at all usually... or if they do still work, only one side of the cable works and you have to make sure you have it plugged in the correct way to get a connection.

Pieces of trash those cables are. We usually have one die every few months.

Doesn't change the fact that people will make the mistake of buying Apple products.

Say what you will about Apple products. Though not my first choice I will say that the iPhone and iPads have a great life span. My wife got an iPhone 6 when they first came out. It lasted until a couple months ago when the battery life got really bad and I put my foot down and upgraded her to an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB.
Also got an iPad 4 when it first came out and finally replaced it about a year ago after it somehow got dropped and took damage to the one corner even though it was in a case and the digitizer stopped working reliably.

They could just reduce the price by the cost of the charger + earpods. But of course, they won't do that.

Courageous

Do you really not have a mess of chargers at this point? Heck I have several quality 4&5 port chargers permanently installed about the house and have two sets of garbage earpods stil in the box on my desk right now, somewhere I have two sets of garbage purple roku ear buds and at least two more sets of similar from various samsung phones sitting in a drawer. And that's AFTER handing out several sets of similar OEM ear buds to various young people in the family who can't help but destroy theirs.

I'd rather get $10 off the price of the phone.

Don't really care about the headphones. I've never used a pair that came with any phone I've ever purchased. The charger I can see people being miffed about.

Reason # 1238 why I won't buy an iPhone.

The only thing Apple ever made that was worth a damn was the original Mac & iPod.

Because we need more stuff to complain about in this world and hating Apple is one of everyone’s favourite pastimes.

Back