iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11s? (est Sep 10th reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never quite get the logic that Android is significantly better... in theory, yes, in practice, no.

It feels like a red herring to say that customization makes a huge difference, for instance. Maybe if you're an enthusiast, but not most people. You get the impression that Android die-hards stare lovingly at their home screens for 10 minutes before launching an app. Yes, having a custom icon layout and home screen widgets can be kinda-sorta helpful, but more often than not you're just launching into an app within a couple of seconds and wouldn't notice the difference. It's a similar deal with custom icon packs, skins and the like. And while Android is technically more flexible than iOS, the apps are frequently just as capable on iOS, if not moreso. There's still a tendency for iOS versions to come out first or with more polish and features.

There are things Apple could stand to do, like a split view on phones or letting you change app defaults. But I see an operating system as a launching pad for whatever you set out to accomplish, not an end to itself. And in that regard, iOS is doing just fine -- better than fine, even, since it's generally more responsive and has a much better update policy. iPhone buyers aren't "sheep," they're people who are more interested in doing things with their phones than doing things to their phones. That's also true of many Android buyers, of course, but that just indicates that many of Android's erstwhile advantages don't matter as much as fans would have you think.

And that's why the iPhone 11 series is dandy. The hardware is great, and the software (initial hiccups notwithstanding) is up to the job.

Upgrading from the X the biggest thing I’m noticing is just how massively improved the battery life is. The device doesn’t run as hot either which tells me the new A13 SOC is barely having to work for most things.

The Apple store was a fucking shitshow, however. The line for preorders was insane, and even worse was them letting waiters in while people who already bought their phone still had to wait.

Upgrading from the X the biggest thing I’m noticing is just how massively improved the battery life is. The device doesn’t run as hot either which tells me the new A13 SOC is barely having to work for most things.

The Apple store was a fucking shitshow, however. The line for preorders was insane, and even worse was them letting waiters in while people who already bought their phone still had to wait.
I just came back from picking mine up from the Apple Store and the preorder line was still probably 30+ people deep the day after launch. Looks like the demand for these phones is better than most anticipated.

I just came back from picking mine up from the Apple Store and the preorder line was still probably 30+ people deep the day after launch. Looks like the demand for these phones is better than most anticipated.

IMO, Apple fucked up on the retail side.

They obviously did well on the supply/manufacturing side because if you want a phone there is inventory.

However, their process of the picking the phone up at the stores is so fucked that it's taking way longer than it should just to pick up a damn thing you've already paid for.

They should have made people wait in the line if you're an idiot who needs setup help, doing a trade, etc. While having a faster moving line for those that just need to pick the fucking thing up.

I never quite get the logic that Android is significantly better... in theory, yes, in practice, no.

iPhone buyers aren't "sheep," they're people who are more interested in doing things with their phones than doing things to their phones. That's also true of many Android buyers, of course, but that just indicates that many of Android's erstwhile advantages don't matter as much as fans would have you think.
agree with most of what you said (as usual) but I would like to point out most android users hardly do any customizations to their phones. So it’s not just “true to many android“ users, but rather true to most android users.

quite frankly I don’t even know why people use any phone that’s not an iPhone, Pixel, or OnePlus/Essential. To me, the only sheep are the ones who only buy phones cause they’re shiny or the display is good without regard for the underlining software, security, privacy, and updates - especially Samsung sheep are idiots. Maybe one day Samsung will update in a timely fashion. But not this day!

agree with most of what you said (as usual) but I would like to point out most android users hardly do any customizations to their phones. So it’s not just “true to many android“ users, but rather true to most android users.

quite frankly I don’t even know why people use any phone that’s not an iPhone, Pixel, or OnePlus/Essential. To me, the only sheep are the ones who only buy phones cause they’re shiny or the display is good without regard for the underlining software, security, privacy, and updates - especially Samsung sheep are idiots. Maybe one day Samsung will update in a timely fashion. But not this day!

It's the normal spec sheet thing, and the substantial promotions carriers do on those phones.

I agree, most android users I know don't use Android the way that it could, and their phones are typically train wrecks because of all the bloat on them.

To me Android is all about Pixel / OnePlus phones only, and Essential, but not anymore since they were one and done. Stock vanilla Android is the way Google designed the OS, and should be kept that way, or tweaked slightly like OnePlus does. But Samsung sucks balls, and LG too. I've had the LG G6 and V30, brand new they were great, 6months to a year later total dog shit. Samsung still has Lagwiz no matter what anyone says, it's still there. Especially if you use a 7 pro 90hz phone, next to a S10+, yeah.

And if iOS is your thing, then you have the iPhone 11, which I'd pick the pro or Pro Max.

IMO, Apple fucked up on the retail side.

They obviously did well on the supply/manufacturing side because if you want a phone there is inventory.

However, their process of the picking the phone up at the stores is so fucked that it's taking way longer than it should just to pick up a damn thing you've already paid for.

They should have made people wait in the line if you're an idiot who needs setup help, doing a trade, etc. While having a faster moving line for those that just need to pick the fucking thing up.
The one I went to prioritized customers who were just picking up the phone and paid online. I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

The one I went to prioritized customers who were just picking up the phone and paid online. I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

My location was fucked. Two+ hours behind the schedule for people's pickup times, and they had the audacity of also letting people who didn't even pre-order in to buy phones at the same time.

My location was fucked. Two+ hours behind the schedule for people's pickup times, and they had the audacity of also letting people who didn't even pre-order in to buy phones at the same time.
Yeah the stores in IL I went to were garbage in scheduling and prioritization and were often hours behind. This one was flying through pick-ups.

I also saw the Midnight Green in person and I’m really surprised just how...not green it was. Side by side with the Space Gray and the difference was minimal. It just has a hint of green but still looks more gray.

I mentioned that later in my post -- you did elaborate on it well, though.

Some Android fans like to characterize Android users as counterculture rebels who revel in doing all the things you can't do on an iPhone... but that's not the reality. They get whatever the latest Galaxy phone is within their budget, use all the standard apps, don't do much to customize their devices (beyond applying a canned theme, maybe) and otherwise treat it like a basic tool. That's fine, but it's not some tremendous act of defiance. They're buying it because it was the best they could afford, because there was a bundle promo, because there aren't many alternatives where they live, or because it's all they've ever known.

Case in point: my girlfriend is from South Africa. Outside of a work BlackBerry, she's always had Samsung phones. Why? Because many of the other options almost don't register. The top rivals right now are Huawei, Mobicel (a local brand), Hisense and Apple, and none of them has more than 10 percent share. In my girlfriend's experience, the only iPhones were owned by people who bought them overseas. It was strange for her to come here and see a fundamentally different landscape where Samsung is just one viable option among many, and where she can actually see and try iPhones instead of wondering what they're like. She's planning to get an iPhone when her current term runs out.

One thing many people would like to see updated is the Phone app. There was a thread on MacRumors that went like a dozen pages in the iOS 13 beta launch back in June, with people scratching their heads as to why Apple hasn't touched it yet.

- When a call comes in and your in the iMessage app or in Safari or something, the phone call hijacks the phone and takes up the entire screen. People would like it to come in as a Banner or Heads Up with options to Accept or Decline, etc...

- T9 dialer

It's certainly not me just saying this, MacRumors and another Apple site have been mentioning this since like iOS9.

https://www.macobserver.com/columns-opinions/editorial/phone-calls-taking-over-screen/

One thing many people would like to see updated is the Phone app. There was a thread on MacRumors that went like a dozen pages in the iOS 13 beta launch back in June, with people scratching their heads as to why Apple hasn't touched it yet.

- When a call comes in and your in the iMessage app or in Safari or something, the phone call hijacks the phone and takes up the entire screen. People would like it to come in as a Banner or Heads Up with options to Accept or Decline, etc...

- T9 dialer

It's certainly not me just saying this, MacRumors and another Apple site have been mentioning this since like iOS9.

https://www.macobserver.com/columns-opinions/editorial/phone-calls-taking-over-screen/

iOS 13 just added an ignore feature for unrecognized callers.

The phone app just needs a slight tweak to allow an option to not take over the screen, but the robocaller/unrecognized caller issue is now fixed with this feature in iOS 13.

You finding small issues in iOS in a thread about the iPhone 11 is a waste of everyone's time.

iOS 13 just added an ignore feature for unrecognized callers.

The phone app just needs a slight tweak to allow an option to not take over the screen, but the robocaller/unrecognized caller issue is now fixed with this feature in iOS 13.

You finding small issues in iOS in a thread about the iPhone 11 is a waste of everyone's time.

I can't even comment on what I'd like to see iOS revise or update here?

It's very popular feature I've seen requested on tons of iPhone forums, from hardcore Apple fans, they still love the iPhone but would like this redone Phone app to happen. Meaning incoming calls hijacking the entire screen and kicking you out of the app your currently in.

Why can't I say that here?

Because it's a thread about the iPhone 11 you whackajob, we get it, you don't like iOS. We all know it has some issues, but that's not what this is about. Go make an iOS problems thread.

"whackjob" WTF man? I'm not name calling anyone here, just giving objective criticism of iOS. But I do love the hardware and design, Apple is #1 in that department.

I think iOS could be great, if certain revisions or changes were made. A lot of Android users would come back. Even some of the useful Jailbreak things if we're baked into stock iOS would be huge.

Last edited:
"whackjob" WTF man?

I think iOS could be great, if certain revisions or changes were made. A lot of Android users would come back. Even some of the useful Jailbreak things if we're baked into stock iOS would be huge.

I don't think many Android users were iPhone users to start with, and many of those who did switch did so for reasons other than OS features. Remember, many Android users are in markets where Apple either has only a limited presence, or is out of the reach of a large chunk of the population. It's hard to object to iOS in terms of features if you're a Chinese worker for whom even a $200 phone is a significant expense.

The truth is that iOS is fine for many people, and that the people who'd come back for software features are more likely to be enthusiasts... that is, not enough people to move the needle for Apple's sales. I suspect Apple would be better-served by reducing the starting price for the iPhone than catering to people who were already going to be skeptical of anything it did.

I don't think many Android users were iPhone users to start with, and many of those who did switch did so for reasons other than OS features. Remember, many Android users are in markets where Apple either has only a limited presence, or is out of the reach of a large chunk of the population. It's hard to object to iOS in terms of features if you're a Chinese worker for whom even a $200 phone is a significant expense.

The truth is that iOS is fine for many people, and that the people who'd come back for software features are more likely to be enthusiasts... that is, not enough people to move the needle for Apple's sales. I suspect Apple would be better-served by reducing the starting price for the iPhone than catering to people who were already going to be skeptical of anything it did.

Excellent post, and your probably right.

Look, guys. Zorachus has a history here. She’s not someone I would label as a fan girl or hater. Hell, I’ve been accused of being a Samsung fanboy for a long time on here. She has her opinions. Her complaints of iOS may be repetitive, but then so are your defenses of Apple... no phone is perfect. Constructive criticisms are great and could make phone better. However, that said, just saying that iOS feels like an OS that’s 10 years old without context or pointing out examples or what you want to improve isn’t very constructive (Shame on you!)... fortunately, Zorachus has given out several constructive examples in the past. Maybe she’s tired of repeating the same criticisms year after after cause, holy crap, how the hell does iOS still not have a better icon arrangement functionality at the very least? Surely, y’all remember her going back and forth on her iPhone and Pixel/Nexus/OnePlus over the years?

if zorachus makes a phone review site, I’ll subscribe until she is inevitably sold out to razer or whomever is sponsoring her site like MKB...

Last edited:
Look, guys. Zorachus has a history here. She’s not someone I would label as a fan girl or hater. Hell, I’ve been accused of being a Samsung fanboy for a long time on here. She has her opinions. Her complaints of iOS may be repetitive, but then so are your defenses of Apple... no phone is perfect. Constructive criticisms are great and could make phone better. However, that said, just saying that iOS feels like an OS that’s 10 years old without context or pointing out examples or what you want to improve isn’t very constructive (Shame on you!)... fortunately, Zorachus has given out several constructive examples in the past. Maybe she’s tired of repeating the same criticisms year after after cause, holy crap, how the hell does iOS still not have a better icon arrangement functionality at the very least? Surely, y’all remember her going back and forth on his iPhone and Pixel/Nexus/OnePlus over the years?

if zorachus makes a phone review site, I’ll subscribe until she is inevitably sold out to razor or whomever is sponsoring her site like MKB...

This really isn't the thread for it though. I don't think anyone can reasonably call any OS perfect or say that there aren't a list of issues that Apple needs to address, but this thread isn't really place. It comes across less as sharing opinions and thoughts and more as thread crapping or trolling. If she is sick of repeating them then why post essentially the same thing multiple times in a single thread?

LOL you guys :)

I was drinking some wine last night, and made these posts. I'm not going to say I'm sorry or anything like that, there's zero reason for me to do so. But I get it, you don't want me calling iOS for what it is, so I will keep my mouth shut, and let you guys enjoy your new toy. I just prefer tech that is modern moving froward towards the future, not stuck in the past. But hey, that's me.

Bottom line there is no perfect smartphone OS, I prefer stock Android, but it's lacking features for sure, and the Pixel hardware is never super great, just ok. Honestly the best smartphone for me would be an iPhone 11 Pro Max running Oxygen OS. But I'll say, a Jailbreaked 11 Pro Max would be sweet too.

I think my dark theme experiment is over. Maybe if the theme is synced to my DND hours. Like after 10 PM, switch theme to dark?

On the regular 11, it’s could be hard to read when it’s bright outside.

The Bluetooth to my car seems to be buggy. I dunno if that’s one of the bugs right now that people are pointing out. I also had to uninstall and reinstall three apps (Hiya, Line, and Edison Email) so far from the restore from computer function.

What other bugs are y’all seeing?

Maybe I’m the oddball. Just switched to ios last year. Been android since day one. As in since the first iterations of Android. And there’s a 99% chance I won’t go back. Why? It just works. I use to run custom roms, all kinds of custom plugins etc on android. And inevitably I had issues. It became a hassle. A constant battle. I loved cutting edge. I loved talking crap to ios users honestly. Telling them it was archaic and behind with features.

And then I bought a nice iPhone, and learned the os. And I don’t mind it at all. It just works. And almost 100% of the time.

I’ve had most of the newest cutting edge android hardware. Pixel one two and 3 XL at launch? Yup. Every flagship Samsung since the Note 2 launch? Yup. The very best htc hardware when it dropped forever ago? Yup.

And guess what even the NEWEST versions of android suggest a restart rather often. The OS suggests it! Lol

iOS? I’ve gone 2-3 weeks of not longer of uptime without any restarts. It has never frozen, and always, just works. And it’s been about a year or a bit longer and I’ve had the 8 plus, iPhone X, XS max and just ordered the iPhone 11 pro max.

For me it just works. Always. No hassle. No freezing. No memory issues,

And... the hands DOWN best battery life. I’m a very heavy power user. And I have yet to kill this XS max battery in a regular work day. On and 6 months+ of heavy use and the phone battery shows 100% life.

My pixel 3 xl sucked terrible for the battery. My 3a XL was almost as bad. My note 10? Returned that and it was essentially free from work. Really it was that bad in the battery department.

Oh, one last thing. I invested in a MacBook (one of the better 2015 ones honestly when keyboards were good) and some other devices. And the ecosystem JUST WORKS. Hands down.

Text from my laptop? No problem. Sync everything effortlessly? Check.

No android I owned did all that easily. It could with enough tome, effort, software updates, changes, apps and widgets.

iOS just works. I’m more productive, have a much longer battery life, and I’m essentially sync’d at all times EASILY. No messing around with multiple apps and sign ins.

So that’s my .02 and I know many many iOS users feel the same.

And I’m very excited for my iPhone 11 pro max to arrive soon!

I think my dark theme experiment is over. Maybe if the theme is synced to my DND hours. Like after 10 PM, switch theme to dark?

On the regular 11, it’s could be hard to read when it’s bright outside.

The Bluetooth to my car seems to be buggy. I dunno if that’s one of the bugs right now that people are pointing out. I also had to uninstall and reinstall three apps (Hiya, Line, and Edison Email) so far from the restore from computer function.

What other bugs are y’all seeing?
You can have it switch from light to dark based on a custom schedule in the Display & Brightness settings.

I’ve had no issues with Edison Mail myself. But bugs don’t have to be consistent

I don’t know why but the 11 Pro Max feels bigger than I remember my XS Max being. Maybe it’s because I’ve now used my iPhone X for two years and just got too used to it’s size. Which is odd as I’ve had Plus size iPhones before my X.

Anyone find the Max too big after using a X or XS?

Another drop test. These phones are actually looking really durable. 2nd drop test I’ve seen where the phones appear to be much less susceptible to glass cracking/shattering.

I don’t know why but the 11 Pro Max feels bigger than I remember my XS Max being. Maybe it’s because I’ve now used my iPhone X for two years and just got too used to it’s size. Which is odd as I’ve had Plus size iPhones before my X.

Anyone find the Max too big after using a X or XS?

The Pro Max is almost 2 ounces heavier than the X and a bit thicker, it is also marginally bigger across all dimensions and heavier than the XS Max.

Another drop test. These phones are actually looking really durable. 2nd drop test I’ve seen where the phones appear to be much less susceptible to glass cracking/shattering.

These videos always cause me physical pain, but that's quite impressive for an iPhone.

The biggest pro of this phone is that it’s actually noticeably faster than the iPhone XR. Like I’m expecting a longer wait time, but it’s done. I dunno if it’s Apple going back to Qualcomm wireless chips or the A13 is just that much faster.

and the XR is pretty damn fast already. It’s hard to use my iPad Pro from 2 years ago right now.

I like the drop rig they have. Too bad it can't do side or top/bottom drops as landing on a corner just the wrong way seems to be one of the most common ways to crack a screen.

The biggest pro of this phone is that it’s actually noticeably faster than the iPhone XR. Like I’m expecting a longer wait time, but it’s done. I dunno if it’s Apple going back to Qualcomm wireless chips or the A13 is just that much faster.

and the XR is pretty damn fast already. It’s hard to use my iPad Pro from 2 years ago right now.
The iPhone 11/11 Pro still have Intel modems. The lawsuit with QC likely ended too late into the iPhone 11’s product development to make the switch.

The iPhone 11/11 Pro still have Intel modems. The lawsuit with QC likely ended too late into the iPhone 11’s product development to make the switch.
good to know. Thanks for the info! Whatever the case, this phone is noticeably faster.

good to know. Thanks for the info! Whatever the case, this phone is noticeably faster.
I agree. I’m coming from the iPhone X with the A11 and it’s much faster in comparison.

This is also the first phone that I REALLY want to go caseless. The matte finish on the back is 10/10 in both looks and durability. Those drop tests are also persuading me to go caseless for the first time since my iPhone 4S...

I agree. I’m coming from the iPhone X with the A11 and it’s much faster in comparison.

This is also the first phone that I REALLY want to go caseless. The matte finish on the back is 10/10 in both looks and durability. Those drop tests are also persuading me to go caseless for the first time since my iPhone 4S...
Be brave! I know I wont !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back