iPhone 10 max dead charging port

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
So the charging port / synch port (whatever it’s called) is physically dead. The phone suddenly registered “water” in the port and now the port is non functional.

Basically two metal prongs popped out and the lightning port cable no longer fits. There is a physical barrier there

The water in the port did not happen. It was in my front pocket, while I was at work. Whatever.

Of course I can wirelessly charge it, so that’s ok. How would y’all recommend I synch my phone?

I never set up WiFi synch, and it seems like I can’t set it up without connecting via cable to set it up. I have cable synch’ed this phone many times.

I can buy a large iCloud storage to try and push as much as I can to the cloud.

What other options do I have? Is there a way to enable WiFi synch without using a cable the first time?

I am posting this thread on the phone in question.

iCloud in general can sync all your data. Or at least the most relevant data.
I only need to sync up contacts, mail, messages, etc. Basically things involving communications. So I've never needed more than the free 5GB from Apple.
If you're trying to back up 60GB of photos it's a bit more of a hassle. I suppose "luckily" Apple is relatively fair with its cost on iCloud, should you decide you need that method to backup your data before presumably moving to something else or getting your phone repaired.

As a side note, I'll assume you're on a XS Max. Not that it's really relevant for the problem at hand. I am curious about the prongs that popped out as well. Are they parts of the lighting charging pins that got bent and pulled out?

Reactions: Liver
like this
iCloud in general can sync all your data. Or at least the most relevant data.
I only need to sync up contacts, mail, messages, etc. Basically things involving communications. So I've never needed more than the free 5GB from Apple.
If you're trying to back up 60GB of photos it's a bit more of a hassle. I suppose "luckily" Apple is relatively fair with its cost on iCloud, should you decide you need that method to backup your data before presumably moving to something else or getting your phone repaired.

As a side note, I'll assume you're on a XS Max. Not that it's really relevant for the problem at hand. I am curious about the prongs that popped out as well. Are they parts of the lighting charging pins that got bent and pulled out?

You are a MFing genius. I never even thought about the lightning charging cable being defective.

So I got my sharpest, thinnest knife and got it out. Wow. Thanks so much.

4DF42B3E-ABED-4D6D-A3F6-004F046C9352.jpeg

You are a MFing genius. I never even thought about the lightning charging cable being defective.

So I got my sharpest, thinnest knife and got it out. Wow. Thanks so much.

View attachment 256640
Good to hear. So I'll assume it was the cable then that broke. Which obviously is a much cheaper "repair" then having Apple replace the port.
Any other damage internally? Were you able to reconnect and sync your data?

I can give you a pretty simple solution.
Take your iPhone to an Apple service center.
And get the port resurrected.
If that is not possible then get the charging port replaced.

No other solution follows the simple steps as suggested by Occam's razor.
I hope this helps!

Back