IPCop troubles

Farva

Extremely [H]
Well, my story goes as I installed IPCop and configured everything (correctly I believe, but apparently not, keep reading). I have no idea why it is not letting me go out onto the internet.

I'll post pics later of my setup (as I am at work now).

have you gone to the connections screen and created a new connection?

i had that initial problem when i messed with it....its runnin smooth now though.

also had to fiddle with the nic cards to figure out which one was green/blue/red/orange too

have you gone to the connections screen and created a new connection?

i had that initial problem when i messed with it....its runnin smooth now though.

also had to fiddle with the nic cards to figure out which one was green/blue/red/orange too

I know my green/blue/red interface is fine by how I have my IPs setup. I'll look at the connections screen when I get home and take a screenshot and post it. Although, I'll probably take out my external IP ;)

one thing to try that was reccomended to me that shows some good info

mii-tool

itll show if ur connected, and the speeds....might not be mugh help, but its a start

I believe it is, as that is part of the initial setup. But, like I said, I'll take a look tonight when I get home.

It's quick to check..takes like ...three point five seconds to check and get an answer.
Log into web admin....before you even get to the part where you enter user/pass...you just accept the certificate...and the main page right there will give you a "Connected" status if you are, and the WAN IP address and host name, and uptime.

Just like a regular store bought router..log into the web admin...and check the status..simple as that.

Make you sure you enabled Dynamic IP assignment on Red as this will cause a huge problem and is not enabled by default on IPCop 1.4.11.

Anything else and we need more details to help you...

Red cable could be plugged into the wrong NIC as well. I found color and NIC assignment is not very organized and it's basically your job to assign a MAC to a specific color interface and that is the only way to be 100%.

With every fiber of my being, I really do not want to post my external IP, but I need help.

It's quick to check..takes like ...three point five seconds to check and get an answer.
Log into web admin....before you even get to the part where you enter user/pass...you just accept the certificate...and the main page right there will give you a "Connected" status if you are, and the WAN IP address and host name, and uptime.

Just like a regular store bought router..log into the web admin...and check the status..simple as that.

See, no gateway here. Why and how do I set it up?

Make you sure you enabled Dynamic IP assignment on Red as this will cause a huge problem and is not enabled by default on IPCop 1.4.11.

Anything else and we need more details to help you...

Red cable could be plugged into the wrong NIC as well. I found color and NIC assignment is not very organized and it's basically your job to assign a MAC to a specific color interface and that is the only way to be 100%.
Well, I don't see how going with DHCP will help with a static IP.

I don't see any info for your red connection? I see the blue and green, but wheres the red?

eth0 (at least for me) has always been my connection to my cable/dsl modem.(red connection)

eth1 (at least for me) has always been my connection to switch.(green connection)

Blue normally goes to a WAP and Orange is normally for DMZ stuff.
When you are setting ipcop up make sure you choose GREEN + RED (RED is Ethernet) as your network type and then you would configure them both. The Red would be DHCP and the Green would be static. Once you configure it and it doesn't work trying swaping cables.

It appears based upon the DHCP lease for proteus that you have your switch/local computers connected to eth0 (green).

Do you have DSL or Cable? Do you have 2 or 3 NIC's?

Connect your DSL/Cable to eth0 and configure eth0 for DHCP rather than a static IP.

Once you can verify that you have a valid IP (69.76.xxx.xxx i'm guessing), you can then go back and configure eth1 with your static IP (192.168.1.1) and reconfigure your DHCP server.

http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/html/initial-configuration.html#anchor-network-configuration

Another thing to keep in mind... if your ISP assigns your IP address via DHCP, make sure you unplug the power on your cable/dsl modem for a few minutes and then plug it back in so that it can grab the new MAC address from your router. I had the same issue and it was all because the modem still had the MAC from my old router cached.

Hope this helps.

Don't have to...edit that JPG and brush out the last two octets.
Done, thanks, I was having a brain fart on how to do that.

I don't see any info for your red connection? I see the blue and green, but wheres the red?

eth0 (at least for me) has always been my connection to my cable/dsl modem.(red connection)

eth1 (at least for me) has always been my connection to switch.(green connection)

Blue normally goes to a WAP and Orange is normally for DMZ stuff.
When you are setting ipcop up make sure you choose GREEN + RED (RED is Ethernet) as your network type and then you would configure them both. The Red would be DHCP and the Green would be static. Once you configure it and it doesn't work trying swaping cables.

It appears based upon the DHCP lease for proteus that you have your switch/local computers connected to eth0 (green).

Do you have DSL or Cable? Do you have 2 or 3 NIC's?

Connect your DSL/Cable to eth0 and configure eth0 for DHCP rather than a static IP.

Once you can verify that you have a valid IP (69.76.xxx.xxx i'm guessing), you can then go back and configure eth1 with your static IP (192.168.1.1) and reconfigure your DHCP server.

http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/html/initial-configuration.html#anchor-network-configuration
Red interface is the first pic.

For eth1, that is how I have it setup.

Yes, I have blue setup that way.

Cable, 3 NICs

Another thing to keep in mind... if your ISP assigns your IP address via DHCP, make sure you unplug the power on your cable/dsl modem for a few minutes and then plug it back in so that it can grab the new MAC address from your router. I had the same issue and it was all because the modem still had the MAC from my old router cached.

Hope this helps.
I did that already, but look at the pics, I have no gateway :(

Did you enable IPCop's web proxy server (can make it transparent, so you dont have to mess with settings anywhere to go online)?

In your third picture you have some of the info for eth2, but not eth1 or eth0. How about posting that.

Well, I don't see how going with DHCP will help with a static IP.

It doesn't but you leave everything open if you don't post enough info in your original post for us to help.

You RED interface is obviously wrong...

Hmm, its interesting that your WAN (eth1) is sending packets out but not getting any in return.

Who is your cable provider?

Edit:
I see that it is prolly Road Runner. Do they tie your MAC address of your router/computer to your account. I know Mediacom used to do this as well and normally the only way around it was either to call them and tell them that you got a new computer/router or clone the MAC from your old computer/router to the replacement.

Log in locally (or connect via SSH using Putty) and type "route" without the "" and paste that info here.

Hmm, its interesting that your WAN (eth1) is sending packets out but not getting any in return.

Who is your cable provider?

Edit:
I see that it is prolly Road Runner. Do they tie your MAC address of your router/computer to your account. I know Mediacom used to do this as well and normally the only way around it was either to call them and tell them that you got a new computer/router or clone the MAC from your old computer/router to the replacement.

Log in locally (or connect via SSH using Putty) and type "route" without the "" and paste that info here.

Well, that last pic I took was just my IPCop, no internet connected. Yes, I have road runner. They tie the MAC address to the modem.
Code:
Destination           Gateway       Genmask        Flag         Metric     Ref   Use  Iface
192.168.2.0          *               255.255.255.0   U            0            0      0      eth2
192.168.1.0          *               255.255.255.0   U            0            0      0      eth0
69.76.xx.0           *               255.255.248.0   U            0            0      0       eth1
default              69.76.xx.1      0.0.0.0         UG           0            0      0      eth1

So looking at it, it seems a private address is for my outside address....How do I change this?

Are you sure your red is set up DHCP? Seems strange that your red is showing TX packets but no RX packets but has an IP Address, Gateway and Netmask. Cycling the modem with Roadrunner normally takes having the modem off for about 30 seconds or more.

Edit* Also does your ethernet light come on when the IPCop is connected to the modem?

Are you sure your red is set up DHCP? Seems strange that your red is showing TX packets but no RX packets but has an IP Address, Gateway and Netmask. Cycling the modem with Roadrunner normally takes having the modem off for about 30 seconds or more.

Edit* Also does your ethernet light come on when the IPCop is connected to the modem?

My red is not set as DHCP. I should as my IP recently changed :( Now, if I do set it to DHCP and I have a static IP, this will not affect anything right? I've read that if you have it set as DHCP that you cannot take advantage of the proxy server ability.

My red is not set as DHCP. I should as my IP recently changed :( Now, if I do set it to DHCP and I have a static IP, this will not affect anything right? I've read that if you have it set as DHCP that you cannot take advantage of the proxy server ability.

Thats your problem. Your red needs to be set to DHCP unless you pay extra for a static IP from roadrunner.

Change your red interface to DHCP and see if it works.

Don't quote me on this, but setting your red connection to DHCP should have no problems with Squid and your ability to utilize its abilities.

Damn I suck at speeling! :D

Another good question, without knowing the model of his modem or his NIC's it could be that he needs a crossover cable instead of a patch cable.

Thats your problem. Your red needs to be set to DHCP unless you pay extra for a static IP from roadrunner.

Change your red interface to DHCP and see if it works.

Don't quote me on this, but setting your red connection to DHCP should have no problems with Squid and your ability to utilize its abilities.

Damn I suck at speeling! :D

Well, I used to have a static IP (standard thing with RR), but for some reason I have DHCP (I won't go into why).

brb as I reinstall it.

Most road runner accounts are DHCP but they stay the same for long periods of time, I've had one address that was just under a year. Roadrunner does tie your IP Address to your MAC of the NIC that is connected to the modem. If the NIC has the same MAC then when the lease is up it will issue the same IP Address back. But if your MAC changes then you will get a new IP Address from RR.

As stated before if you aren't extra for the Static IP Address from RR then you are DHCP and setting it up so and cycling the modem should get your IPCop up and running.

Ok, now I have it set to DHCP from my ISP. Basic settings are set right now. I'll tweak them in a bit, but I do have internet access :)

Meaning, I am accepting a DHCP address from my ISP. Ya, my English in that sentence wasn't great.

I think he was pointing out the fact that he told you on 01-04-2007 at 08:38 PM to make sure your red interface was set for Dynamic IP (DHCP).

Now that IPCop is up and running, how do you add the addons?

Now that IPCop is up and running, how do you add the addons?

Various methods...some often come with their own instructions on their sites..

One of the better add-ons (IMO) is Copfilter
http://www.copfilter.org/docu.php
On it's site..it has a link on how to install..which leads to here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_linux_firewall_ipcop_p2

I just built another IPCop box with that add-on last weekend. I use WinCSP to shove up the file.

Some add-on links
http://www.ipcop.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=IPCopAddons

Back